Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Leagues:

UNITED STATES:
National Women's Soccer League

MEXICO:
Liga MX Femenil

AUSTRALIA:
W-League

EUROPE:
Champions League

ENGLAND:
Women's Super League

FRANCE:
Division 1 Féminine

GERMANY:
Frauen-Bundesliga

SPAIN:
La Liga Iberdrola

ITALY:
Serie A Femminile

SWEDEN:
OBOS Damallsvenskan

NORWAY:
Toppserien W

DENMARK:
Gjensidige Kvindeliga

Cool and Good People Covering Women's Soccer:
Kim McCauley @lgbtqfc on Twitter (now works for Angel City FC)
Charles Olney at Backline Soccer & @olneyce on Twitter.
Sophie Lawson @lawson_sv on Twitter.
John Hallorhan @JohnDHalloran on Twitter.
Stephanie Yang at AllForXI & @thrace on Twitter.
Megan Linehan at The Athletic (paywall) & @itsmeglinehan on Twitter.
Jessica Luther at Burn It All Down (podcast) & @jessicawluther on Twitter.
Rich Laverty at These Football Times & @RichJLaverty on Twitter.
Molly Hudson @M0lly_Writes on Twitter.
The Equalizer & @EqualizerSoccer on Twitter.
Football Reference (includes current stats/tables for pretty much every women's league as well as schedules).

5/4/21: Updated this post for the first time since 2019. :ohdear:

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I will update the OP with information on where to watch as it's found, along with additional websites/reporters covering the sport. If you want me to add a league or a cool website/twitterati that does good coverage, no problem! Just please post the details, for example I don't know the Scandinavian leagues well enough to know where to find their stuff.

And if I made mistakes, let me know so I can fix them! I like women's soccer, but I'm not in any way an expert- especially on the European side of things.

For the moment, here's a preview of the upcoming Liga MX Apertura.

Right now I think only the NWSL is in season, most of the Euro leagues IIRC follow the traditional footballing season.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 13, 2019

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Can add Australia's W-League to the list, though the new season probably won't begin until October/November-ish. A whole mess of NWSL players usually go play a full season in W-League as well. Site is here: https://www.w-league.com.au/

Big question player-wise for both NWSL and W-League is if this'll be the year Sam Kerr finally chases some big bucks in Europe.

Edit: Also for Sweden - OBOS Damallsvenskan (https://www.svenskfotboll.se/serier-cuper/tabell-och-resultat/obos-damallsvenskan/77346/)

xeria fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 13, 2019

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

:siren:This Weekend's Matches:siren:

NWSL
Saturday, July 13, 2019
7pm Eastern US Time
Seattle Reign @ North Carolina Courage: North Carolina dogwalked the league last season, and this season sit a single point behind first place Seattle just past the midway mark of the season. Both teams have a number of USWNT starters, and Crystal Dunn finally gets to be the attacking winger she usually is rather than forced to play left back. The match will be carried live on Yahoo Sports streaming.

8:30pm Eastern US Time
Chicago Red Stars @ Houston Dash: Two lower midtable sides face off, with the Red Stars getting back several of their star players from the World Cup, including defender Julie Ertz and goalkeeper Alyssa Naeher. I'd imagine that'll help, given they're on a terrible run of form with three points from their last five matches. The Dash didn't send a single player to the USWNT. This match will also be streaming on Yahoo Sports.

Sunday, July 14, 2019
3pm Eastern US Time
Orlando Pride @ Portland Thorns: The Pride have Alex Morgan, the Thorns have Megan Rapinoe. We'll see if either play, or if they're still too hung over after the extended celebration. The Thorns are definitely the better team, sitting third on the table while the Pride are second to last. This match will be streaming on ESPN.com, and on Cable TV at ESPNNews.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

xeria posted:

Can add Australia's W-League to the list, though the new season probably won't begin until October/November-ish. A whole mess of NWSL players usually go play a full season in W-League as well. Site is here: https://www.w-league.com.au/

Edit: Also for Sweden - OBOS Damallsvenskan (https://www.svenskfotboll.se/serier-cuper/tabell-och-resultat/obos-damallsvenskan/77346/)

Thanks! Can't believe I forgot about the aussie league, considering how many of them spend their summers in the NWSL.

e: I have no clue why this has the shitpost forums tag? :ohdear: Maybe it reset because I tried to use a ß for Fußball and it made me take the "illegal character" out of the title and reset my choice of tag at the same time? If a mod could change it to the sports one, I'd be very grateful!

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 13, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Thanks for the schedule, been following the US since World Cup play started.

My BFF thinks the US got lucky with penalties in the game against England.

She also thinks Dunn was underrated all during all the games.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Binary Badger posted:

Thanks for the schedule, been following the US since World Cup play started.

My BFF thinks the US got lucky with penalties in the game against England.

She also thinks Dunn was underrated all during all the games.

Dunn was real real good IMO. I know a couple people disagree to varying degrees, but I think most of them would still give her credit for growing into the position.

OTOH I don't think the US got that lucky against England, I felt pretty confident at the time the pen was given that they still had a much better chance to win even if England ties the match. For one thing, they wouldn't have sat back in the 5-4-1 for the rest of the match.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Dunn was a Golden Boot winner in NWSL a few years ago as a winner and then went and pretty much shur down that half of the field against France as a LB this year, so she's pretty loving good.

Shame she has to be on the same team as Jaelene Hinkle.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I've enjoyed too many terrible people doing excellent sports things (biggest example, Curt Schilling in 2004) to have an opinion about a team I like affected by how terrible a person a particular player is. NC is real danged good, and Hinkle is a pretty good player even with her utterly lovely personal views.

My biggest problem is that I'm from MA, so I'm not sure what to do since the Breakers broke up. I guess I could go with Washington, because Rose Lavelle is a goddamned midfield monster so long as her hamstrings don't yank themselves off the bone.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
Is Dunn expected back tonight? I got tickets to the game, but was mostly going to enjoy watching Debinha and seeing if Hamilton stays on her scoring streak.

I saw that Jess, Sam, and Abby are supposed to be in attendance but not on the roster tonight, and they're doing some kind of post-game celebration of all the world cup players. Didn't see anything about Dunn, though.

Sam's gotta be some kind of exhausted though after all the travel - she and Naeher were in Boston yesterday.

Engineer Lenk fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 13, 2019

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Are the NWSL teams not giving their USWNT players a post-tournament break?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I dunno how long a break the players are getting. Most of the players from other national teams who play in the NWSL were back pretty quickly.

I do know that US Soccer is making GBS threads all over the NWSL by having the national team start a victory tour of friendlies on August 3rd - right when the NWSL is heading into the home stretch of the season, which ends in early October. It's going to make the US Federation a metric fuckton of money, while paying the women not a whole lot, and depriving the NWSL of oxygen and some if its best players right at a time when people should be able to watch it.

gently caress US Soccer.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Engineer Lenk posted:

Is Dunn expected back tonight? I got tickets to the game, but was mostly going to enjoy watching Debinha and seeing if Hamilton stays on her scoring streak.

I saw that Jess, Sam, and Abby are supposed to be in attendance but not on the roster tonight, and they're doing some kind of post-game celebration of all the world cup players. Didn't see anything about Dunn, though.

Sam's gotta be some kind of exhausted though after all the travel - she and Naeher were in Boston yesterday.

Be shocked if any USWNT players play this weekend. I think Alex Morgan was still in LA as of last night, and Ali Krieger/Ashlyn Harris are still in Florida while the rest of Orlando traveled to Portland. Could play next weekend, though, especially the players who didn't get a lot of WC minutes.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

And of course its 7:04 pm and the Yahoo stream isn't on.

e: on as of 7:05.

Man, it's hot and humid as gently caress in New England, I can't imagine how hot and humid it is in NC.

e2: Holy poo poo, that creep Hinkle can roll.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 14, 2019

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA
Some Euro stuff:

The Swedish Damallsvenskan can currently be streamed (for a subscription fee) on https://www.damallsvenskan.tv, but will apparently switch to http://obosdamallsvenskan.tv (which currently redirects to the former and hasn't got its TLS in order) tomorrow.

Norwegian Toppserien is streamed at https://www.direktesport.no/, but afaik you're required to subscribe to one of the A-Media papers to access it. I think they all have a "5 weeks for 5 NOK (6 cents)" thing going on, so if you're feeling ambitious you could try to juggle those; should reset by the time you're through all of them. Just remember to unsubscribe!
State channel NRK also send some of the matches, those should be streamable at https://tv.nrk.no/serie/fotball-toppserien-kvinner (might be geoblocked).

I believe Canal+ Sport France currently own the rights to the D1 Feminine, so if you can find some way to access that you should be able to catch some stuff there.

The UWCL (UEFA Women's Champions League) is a giant mess with channels buying the rights at really short notice (in Norway, the semis were sent by one channel and then the final was bought by another, but at such a short notice that the TV listings the day before still told me I needed to tune in to a Swedish channel to catch it). Usually some channel in some country is sending the matches, though, and in the past matches have been streamed on Youtube but idk how things are shaping up for the coming season.

Also a lot of the individual clubs have streamed their home matches on their own services, at least, but that's changing now with TV companies buying up the rights.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
NC could have a perpetual revolving cast of speedy forwards and they'd still score a fuckton of goals because of how good their mid is, especially once they get Dunn back.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Is that Taylor Twellman aka The Voice of Fingernails on Chalkboard? God amighty why is U.S. soccer the redheaded stepchild of sports announcers...

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Mr. Mambold posted:

Is that Taylor Twellman aka The Voice of Fingernails on Chalkboard? God amighty why is U.S. soccer the redheaded stepchild of sports announcers...

I dunno, for a couple million I bet you could get Chris Berman to say they're going back back back on a goal kick

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Mr. Mambold posted:

NWSL gets some loving garbage-tier announcers, though the low-light is still probably that game where Anson Dorrance said he would've shot one of the Houston players on the sideline if he was the coach.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

xeria posted:

NWSL gets some loving garbage-tier announcers, though the low-light is still probably that game where Anson Dorrance said he would've shot one of the Houston players on the sideline if he was the coach.

lol. Old Anson's been around quite a while. I'm pretty sure he was the National Team coach in '91 when they won the inaugural Women's World Cup...... while still at N.C.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

First off, thank you. That's a great first post. I appreciate the work.

habeasdorkus posted:

:siren:

Sunday, July 14, 2019
3pm Eastern US Time
Orlando Pride @ Portland Thorns: The Pride have Alex Morgan, the Thorns have Megan Rapinoe. We'll see if either play, or if they're still too hung over after the extended celebration. The Thorns are definitely the better team, sitting third on the table while the Pride are second to last. This match will be streaming on ESPN.com, and on Cable TV at ESPNNews.

Rapinoe plays in Seattle, thanks for the cruel reminder.

Portland has Tobin Heath, Lindsay Horan, Emily Sonnet and AD Franch who played for the USWNT. Christine Sinclair played for Canada and is few goals shy of Wambach's all time international record. Ellie Carpenter and Steph Catley played for Australia. Andressinha played for Brazil.

All but the US players have returned (but did not play well against Seattle last week). While they international players were gone Midge Purce and Simone Charley held it down and the Thorns did pretty well in June.

Nobody expects US National Team players tomorrow.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

highme posted:

First off, thank you. That's a great first post. I appreciate the work.

Rapinoe plays in Seattle, thanks for the cruel reminder.

Portland has Tobin Heath, Lindsay Horan, Emily Sonnet and AD Franch who played for the USWNT. Christine Sinclair played for Canada and is few goals shy of Wambach's all time international record. Ellie Carpenter and Steph Catley played for Australia. Andressinha played for Brazil.

All but the US players have returned (but did not play well against Seattle last week). While they international players were gone Midge Purce and Simone Charley held it down and the Thorns did pretty well in June.

Nobody expects US National Team players tomorrow.

Catley also plays for Reign! Portland has Foord as the other noted Aussie.

Purce especially seems like she's done pretty well in the international players' absence, yeah? Wonder if she'll get another look on the USWNT sometime.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
Well, I went to see Debinha and was not disappointed (though she had a couple just wide or off the post that were reminiscent of the Brazil-France game). Plus Matthias had the assist [and didn't pick up a card, which is somewhat surprising given her normal style of play].

The heat wasn't unbearable in the south stands, and they gave out wooden-handled circular fans with the programs. I like to think whoever set up the program dislikes the thorns as much as I do, since they were spelled 'throns' on the standings.

Catley and Lydia Williams were on the sideline talking to fans after the loss, they seem pretty cool (watching Catley play with the splint and even take a throw-in was impressive). I hope Lydia gets traded because both she and Murphy are good enough to be starting.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Engineer Lenk posted:

Well, I went to see Debinha and was not disappointed (though she had a couple just wide or off the post that were reminiscent of the Brazil-France game). Plus Matthias had the assist [and didn't pick up a card, which is somewhat surprising given her normal style of play].

The heat wasn't unbearable in the south stands, and they gave out wooden-handled circular fans with the programs. I like to think whoever set up the program dislikes the thorns as much as I do, since they were spelled 'throns' on the standings.

Catley and Lydia Williams were on the sideline talking to fans after the loss, they seem pretty cool (watching Catley play with the splint and even take a throw-in was impressive). I hope Lydia gets traded because both she and Murphy are good enough to be starting.

Bummer for Williams:

https://twitter.com/primetimeMitch/status/1150211293594509312

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Can everyone on the Reign stop getting injured please? :smith:

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

It's pretty confusing that she dressed for the game. Wouldn't they know this before tonight?

whypick1 posted:

Didn't they have Little/Fishlock/Pinoe all get injured in a pretty short span three or four seasons back?

Engineer Lenk fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 14, 2019

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

whypick1 posted:

quote:

OUT: Jasmyne Spencer (SEI – Knee), Taylor Smith (SEI – Knee), Michelle Betos (SEI Achilles), Scout Watson (SEI Concussion), Darian Jenkins (Hamstring), Jaycie Johnson (SEI Knee), Jessica Fishlock (SEI Knee), Morgan Andrews (Hamstring), Rumi Utsugi (Calf), Stephanie Cox (Calf)

Still fuckin amazed that Cox actually un-retired just to play some more games for the Reign.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

xeria posted:

Still fuckin amazed that Cox actually un-retired just to play some more games for the Reign.
Between the World Cup players and the injured, the team had an absence list consisting of something like sixteeen players 2-3 weekends ago.

highme
May 25, 2001

Engineer Lenk posted:

Dunn was shown on the Jumbotron at about the 35th minute of the Timbers game tonight.

xeria posted:

Ah gently caress, of course I got them confused.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

xeria posted:

Raso too. Coming back from breaking her back is a hell of a narrative

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I'm constantly impressed by the players who can go a full 90 despite it being hotter than two rats loving in a wool sock on the field. The best temperature for endurance sports that involve a lot of constant running is like 50-60 degrees F, and to be at a heat index well over 100 in the sunlight and still able to run around is crazy.

Crazy Ted posted:

Between the World Cup players and the injured, the team had an absence list consisting of something like sixteeen players 2-3 weekends ago.

That's insane! Where were they getting enough players to field a team from?!

e: Also, thanks Gigi for fixing the tag so this isn't listed as a shitpost!

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 14, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Watched the ReignFC vs. North Carolina Courage.

Williams was fantastic. NCC looked like they had the game in control the whole time.

Also saw Chicago Red Stars vs. Houston Dash, also was a good game.

Very few WCers back to actually play though, hardly saw any in these two games.

In the Chicago/Houston game there was a goddamn hair on the camera or something and it was even more unbelievably distracting than the low-effort announcers.

General production wasn't too great either.

It's like creative whiplash going from the expertly produced televising by Fox Sports to Yahoo Sports/NWSL which seems to be barely about as good worse than college studio level.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 14, 2019

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Binary Badger posted:

Watched the ReignFC vs. North Carolina Courage.

Williams was fantastic. NCC looked like they had the game in control the whole time.

Also saw Chicago Red Stars vs. Houston Dash, also was a good game.

Very few WCers back to actually play though, hardly saw any in these two games.

Labbé, Debinha, Erceg, and Catley were all playing in the NCC/Reign game, and Lydia Williams was dressed and on the bench. I thought there were a bunch of Canadians and Aussies on the Dash and CRS too (Polkinghorne, Schmidt, Kerr, among others).

Or were you just talking about the semifinalists? I think the USWNT and the England players in the NWSL get a week before they report.

NCC had four US players
Reign had two US, one England
Daly had already reported to the Dash but was serving the extra game suspension for that elbow to the face red card with added unsportsmanlike conduct back in the Utah game
CRS was missing four US players (though I'm not sure if Morgan Brian is going to be reliably fit to start anyway)

Engineer Lenk fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 14, 2019

highme
May 25, 2001

Can't believe I forgot Haley Raso. She just got a goal in the 3rd minute after getting the keeper to cough up the ball

https://twitter.com/ThornsFC/status/1150483021948055552?s=19

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Whoa that was a quick goal, Portland takes the lead.

Goalie didn't unload fast enough and Hayley was right there to intercept

Pressley with several incredible saves!

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 14, 2019

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Orlando is just...a disaster. Wish Canada wasn't footing the bill for Zadorsky, cause that puts out an argument for keeping her because the org doesn't have to pay anything for her even though she's pretty bad. Would honestly rather just gut the team of all its internationals and start a fresh rebuild.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
I wish Kop wasn't so prone to big mistakes. She can make some good saves.

I think bouhaddi did something a lot like that in a game last season for OL.

highme
May 25, 2001

Midge Purce just got a nice goal from persistence then Marta scored a thunder bastard from just outside the 18.

Edit: Then Sinclair scored in the 67' followed by a Marta goal In the 68'.

highme fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 14, 2019

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Engineer Lenk posted:

I wish Kop wasn't so prone to big mistakes. She can make some good saves.

I think bouhaddi did something a lot like that in a game last season for OL.

Yeah, Kop is perfectly fine as a backup keeper in a pinch but Orlando's already pretty-shaky defense is just gonna put her in spots to make real poo poo mistakes pretty regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
https://mobile.twitter.com/samdefrates/status/1150404490153119744