Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Lmfao she got uppercutted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Found an interesting article/interview with Jessica McDonald, the only mom on the USWNT, and one of seven moms in the entire NWSL.

https://intothegloss.com/2019/07/jessica-mcdonald-world-cup/

Born and raised in Phoenix, to boot..

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA
Not pro (why is that in the thread title, anyway?), but rather youth NTs: the U19 Euros start tomorrow and should be fairly accessible:

Where to watch Women's Under-19 EURO

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

https://twitter.com/ThornsFC/status/1150902866824929280

Funny story about the end of that Portland/Orlando game yesterday. Since I (help) run the Riveters merch sales w/ one of my best friends for Thorns games we usually leave a couple of minutes before the end of the game so we can up and running by the time people are out of the stadium. Yesterday we left around the 86th minute when it was 3-2 Portland. We got into the Fanladen and started setting things up. My friend turned on the computer and got the TV up and running the stream so we could get post game stuff. Right as she turned it on Lussi is running towards the corner after scoring the last minute stoppage time goal. Then for the next hour as I sold merch people kept asking me "how about that Lussi goal though?"

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
The Lussi goal was an incredible moment. I haven't heard Providence Park that loud in a while. Hell of a debut game for NWSL on ESPN, plenty of excitement, lots of goals, some good saves, some boneheaded mistakes, it had it all.

I especially loved two things about the end of the game. First, after Orlando tied the game in the 90th minute, as Portland were looking to kick off, one of the Pride players decided it was a good time to tie their shoe instead of getting back. Well, after the Lussi goal, with Orlando looking to make something happen in the final seconds, Sinclair returned the favor by tying her shoe.

Second, and I can't find a video of it, but Mark Parsons went absolutely loving bonkers running onto the pitch, jumping up and down and screaming when Lussi put that header in. If anyone has a video of it, I'd love it if you could share.

Edit: found video of Parsons, at the 23 second mark.

Sub Par fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 16, 2019

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Looks like we've got our first Galactica:

https://twitter.com/JasSchweimler/status/1151479287637250049

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Zwachro posted:

Not pro (why is that in the thread title, anyway?), but rather youth NTs: the U19 Euros start tomorrow and should be fairly accessible:

Where to watch Women's Under-19 EURO

I figure there'll be big threads for the major international tournaments, starting with the Olympics next year, and wanted to try to give more visibility to the pro game. I don't have any issue with international stuff being posted here, though.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Thaisa Moreno's contract with Milan expired and it looks like she's a free agent. She was one of the better players on the team and scored a few bangers during the season so I'm disappointed the club didn't offer an extension (maybe they did, I'm not sure). Anyway she'd be a decent signing for anyone in Serie A and probably abroad for that matter.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Gigi Galli posted:

Thaisa Moreno's contract with Milan expired and it looks like she's a free agent. She was one of the better players on the team and scored a few bangers during the season so I'm disappointed the club didn't offer an extension (maybe they did, I'm not sure). Anyway she'd be a decent signing for anyone in Serie A and probably abroad for that matter.

Probably a broad? They don't check these things in Italy? paisan pls.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Mr. Mambold posted:

Probably a broad? They don't check these things in Italy? paisan pls.

:smugjones:

highme
May 25, 2001

Thorns vs Utah Royals tonight at 8pm Mountain time. The US nationals should all be back and playing in this game. Game streamed on Yahoo.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

highme posted:

Thorns vs Utah Royals tonight at 8pm Mountain time. The US nationals should all be back and playing in this game. Game streamed on Yahoo.

Maybe Utah will score a goal for the first time in, what, three games? If Press is playing.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

xeria posted:

Maybe Utah will score a goal for the first time in, what, three games? If Press is playing.

Watch Arod come up with something right when you write her off. More worried about them getting it to the forwards if Vero is out, though.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Engineer Lenk posted:

Watch Arod come up with something right when you write her off. More worried about them getting it to the forwards if Vero is out, though.

Vaguely remember Utah's mid being their achilles heel last season, too, with getting it to Arod/Press/Stengel consistently.

Edit: Press will just do it all herself, like usual!

xeria fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 20, 2019

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
I kinda like what training with Tobin has done for Press's game. Time will tell if she can influence Heath to actually shoot rather than lose the ball.

E: that Sinclair goal was also incredible.

So.. the first 15 minutes sucked, then this turned into a very entertaining game. Stengel has the worst luck, that one shot she got off starting with her back to goal... Arod needs to learn to not shoot directly at the keeper.

Engineer Lenk fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 20, 2019

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
God damnit.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
as someone with no dog in the fight that was a pretty fun match

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Average attendance this weekend was 12,000 per match, which is pretty impressive considering the Thorns weren't at home.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

habeasdorkus posted:

Average attendance this weekend was 12,000 per match, which is pretty impressive considering the Thorns weren't at home.

Yeah, Sky Blue wasn't at home...

Those averages are no thanks to Washington. Maryland soccerplex is max 4k and it didn't look that full. You'd think they'd try for more games at Audi.

Did Chicago do a cheap tickets promo? Utah does them somewhat regularly, and Orlando had some $9 tickets for the game yesterday.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I only tuned in to the end of Washington-Houston and the commentary team claimed that the stadium had been more full but lots of folks had left due to the weather delay.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I only tuned in to the end of Washington-Houston and the commentary team claimed that the stadium had been more full but lots of folks had left due to the weather delay.

I was watching before the delay, it still wasn't sold out and the capacity is only 4k to start with.

E: their official attendence is noted as a 5.5k sellout so who knows, maybe folks got out of there before the delay - I swapped over to that game during the Pride/SB half.

Engineer Lenk fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 21, 2019

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/BeckyBurleigh/status/1152543484810805248

Carson Pickett seems to be a badass. https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/01/carson-pickett-orlando-pride-womens-national-soccer-league

:)

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

That's p fuckin' awesome.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I can't find the clip rn but one time a ref called her for a handball and she goes "I don't have one!"

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Debinha's assist tonight was fully loving sick, perfectly weighted ball in on a breakaway.

e: this is a pretty good match. 50' in and on ESPN2. Worth watching.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 22, 2019

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Sam Kerr. Real loving good.

highme
May 25, 2001

Currently on a bus headed for the Clunk, should probably find that stream.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

NC looks like they have a goal in them.

And as I type that Kerr nearly scores again. This was the Sam Kerr I was promised during the WC!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

highme posted:

Currently on a bus headed for the Clunk, should probably find that stream.

If you're in the US you can get it on espn.com.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
https://twitter.com/SandHerrera_/status/1153086693291040775

That's loving enormous for a non-Portland (or Orlando/Utah inaugural) match. I hope the teams in proper stadiums can keep it up, cause average league attendance will go back to looking like poo poo once Sky Blue has a home match again.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

It's insane to me that we can't get a decent team in the Boswash belt. It's fertile ground for the game, and has a ton of stadiums to play in.

It's getting late for NC.

... and as I type that they go off the post.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Man, Hamilton missed that by inches.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Red Stars might have to be my team since I don't have one up here in the totally unpopulated and totally culturally backward New England region.

Naeher's header at the end of the game was gutsy as gently caress.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Big Huski Boi posted:

I can't find the clip rn but one time a ref called her for a handball and she goes "I don't have one!"

I couldn't find a non-memed version.

https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/cfah99/whaat/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
So this was a sellout, but every time they cut to the stands ~20% of the seats were empty.

Best NWSL handball meme is still Broon's face from that Orland/Utah game last year:

https://mobile.twitter.com/CourtofRoyals/status/1121950112832376832/photo/1

Engineer Lenk fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 22, 2019

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Engineer Lenk posted:

So this was a sellout, but every time they cut to the stands ~20% of the seats were empty.

This is every sell out ever because they count tickets sold, not asses in seats

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

This is every sell out ever because they count tickets sold, not asses in seats
Still, 20% of seats being empty would put about 15-16,000 in the stands for a team that usually gets a bit less than 4,000 for an average home game.

highme
May 25, 2001

We got some midweek action tonight. Sky Blue hosts Washington at 7:30pm Eastern and Portland hosts Houston at 7:30pm Western. If you're in Portland come say hi at the fanladen before the match (we're not opening after). I'm the bald bearded one.

xeria posted:

https://twitter.com/SandHerrera_/status/1153086693291040775

That's loving enormous for a non-Portland (or Orlando/Utah inaugural) match. I hope the teams in proper stadiums can keep it up, cause average league attendance will go back to looking like poo poo once Sky Blue has a home match again.

Was just coming in to post this.

https://twitter.com/alahue/status/1154059696048877568

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Well if you wanted evidence that the post-World Cup attendance boost is real, reportedly Sky loving Blue is going to be close to a sellout tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analog
Feb 2, 2001

Portland is ridiculous. So much talent.