Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
I was really encouraged by how well the Thorns passed and moved last night. Was great to see, especially coming off of a fairly poor performance a game ago. Both times they've re-integrated the internationals, they looked disjointed in the first match and then awesome in the second. Hoping Parsons learns some lessons on that front that we can apply next year with the Olympics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Phwoar

https://twitter.com/OurGameMagazine/status/1155308544066932736

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Gonna be kind of a bummer when the final's Portland/NC for the third year in a row, but Chicago seems like the only other team who might be able to challenge. Reign are too injured to have more than a prayer, Washington's rookies have come back down to earth, Orlando/Sky Blue/Houston are pretty(very) bad, and Utah would probably need Press to have a monster game.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Today's NWSL matches

4:00 p.m. Eastern Time
Chicago Red Stars @ Seattle Reign (Streaming on Yahoo Sports) - The Reign and Red Stars both look to keep pace with the top of the table, they're each six points behind league leading Portland. This is an important match, as the winner would move into playoff position while the loser would fall off the pace to make the four team playoff. The Reign currently have two games in hand, winning both would put them tied on points with the Thorns. Should be a banger.

8:30 p.m. Eastern Time
Sky Blue @ Houston Dash (Streaming on Yahoo Sports) - Both teams are coming off a Wednesday loss, and for Houston it was a 5-0 drubbing at the hands of Portland. Houston is the definition of meh, but Sky Blue are the most screwed team in the NWSL, so they should be looking to take all three points here.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 28, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I am stoked for the first match.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Sadly no Rapinoe in that game as she is out due to fatigue from being loving awesome all the time her media tour plus a nagging injury from the World Cup.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Red stars looked decent last week against nc, I like their chances

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Well that was a terrible save.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Reign would have wanted to score a bit ago.

(Also, Seattle Reign is a great sports team name and I refuse to hear opinions to the contrary)

I appreciate the drummers, too.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Slick

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

habeasdorkus posted:

Reign would have wanted to score a bit ago.

(Also, Seattle Reign is a great sports team name and I refuse to hear opinions to the contrary)

I appreciate the drummers, too.

My old roommate leads the drumline for Reign. He loves doing it and the team's been real direct supportive of them (buying them drums to use, comped tickets to every game, etc.).

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

xeria posted:

My old roommate leads the drumline for Reign. He loves doing it and the team's been real direct supportive of them (buying them drums to use, comped tickets to every game, etc.).

That's awesome! Awesome too that the team is supporting him too.

Decent strike, but Naeher had it all the way.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Reign have had a few chances but this looks pretty dominant by red stars

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

That was the least drama yellow I've ever seen.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Julie Ertz is real good.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I don’t think this will end 2-0

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

That seems likely.

It also seems likely this shutout will hold.

:smith:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Reign have been a touch unlucky, but yeah, the Red Stars seem like a much better team.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Cripes

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Reign were doing more at the end of the half but that’s gotta be the dagger

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Yeah, that'll do it.

tho' 3-0 might be the most dangerous score.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 28, 2019

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I wish my team wasn't so injured :(

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bit of a statement win

whypick1 posted:

I wish my team wasn't so injured :(

i know pinoe is injured, who else? i don't know the rosters real well

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i know pinoe is injured, who else? i don't know the rosters real well

quote:

OUT: Taylor Smith (SEI – Right Knee), Jasmyne Spencer (SEI – Left Knee), Michelle Betos (SEI – Right Achilles), Jaycie Johnson (SEI – Right Knee), Scout Watson (SEI – Concussion), Jessica Fishlock (SEI – Left Knee), Lydia Williams (45D – Left Ankle), Megan Rapinoe (Left Achilles), Darian Jenkins (Left Hamstring), Stephanie Cox (Right Calf), Rumi Utsugi (Left Calf)

QUESTIONABLE: Celia Jimenez Delgado (Right Groin)

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Having watched the Red Stars vs the Courage, the Red Stars look like they're in fantastic form.

Also, how the gently caress is the USWNT pulling players away from their clubs at the end of a season for a 10 (!) game victory tour starting this coming week? So frustrating.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

What is SEI?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Season Ending Injury. We have 6 of those.

:shepicide:

habeasdorkus posted:

Also, how the gently caress is the USWNT pulling players away from their clubs at the end of a season for a 10 (!) game victory tour starting this coming week? So frustrating.
:10bux:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Yeah, I know, and what truly galls me I guess is that the players will get paid less for any individual game that than the USMNT gets for being thoroughly poo poo on by Jamaica or Honduras in a friendly.

As for the Reign, well, this was a case of sometimes you et the bear, and sometime the bear et you.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

habeasdorkus posted:

Having watched the Red Stars vs the Courage, the Red Stars look like they're in fantastic form.

Only supposed to be a 5-game tour this go-around, with four of them restricted to actual FIFA windows (when NWSL teams had the option to not schedule a game if they really don't want to IIRC), though still real dumb that they're pulling everyone away next weekend for a one-off in LA.

League seems pretty firmly stratified into three tiers -- NC/Portland/Chicago, Reign/Utah/Washington(maybe), Orlando/Sky Blue/Houston. Whoever sneaks into the 4th playoff spot is probably gonna be manhandled by one of the top three.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i am amused that houston has a player named OHAI

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Houston wound up beating Sky Blue by 1-0, a close game right to the end. Both teams looked super tired, yet didn't use any subs until like the last 20 minutes. Kinda agree with Xeria's assessment regarding these teams- the whole game reminded me of a Mets vs. Anyone Else game, it would have gone on longer if Daly hadn't scored.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i am amused that houston has a player named OHAI

Who is engaged to JJ Watt!

Binary Badger posted:

Houston wound up beating Sky Blue by 1-0, a close game right to the end. Both teams looked super tired, yet didn't use any subs until like the last 20 minutes. Kinda agree with Xeria's assessment regarding these teams- the whole game reminded me of a Mets vs. Anyone Else game, it would have gone on longer if Daly hadn't scored.

SB stuck with their last coach way too long (1 win/9 points in 24 games? better let her stick around another year!!!) The whole org has been a tire fire but Denise Reddy actively drove off multiple players all on her own, too. Hopefully with both her and their previous poo poo GM Tony Novo gone, they might actually start rebuilding.

Or make Phil Murphy stop using the team entirely as a tax break and sell it to owners who might give a poo poo.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
https://twitter.com/EqualizerSoccer/status/1156261071377915905

Figured she was probably done. No idea who's probably on a short list, since her assistant coach from the WC staff already left.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

There's a lot, and I mean a lot of legit complaints about Jill Ellis, but the fact remains that she did guide the US to two world cup trophies. I wonder who's going to step into her shoes.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Can't imagine why she'd want to step down after winning two World Cup and still getting endlessly poo poo on

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Speculation is she's stepping into the GM role which, if that's the case, might be more likely that the next coach comes from the youth team ranks than, say, an NWSL coach.

Edit: Speculation killed! Ellis isn't moving to GM.

xeria fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 30, 2019

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I guess after this we will be able to definitively say whether Jill Ellis’s coaching was integral to those two cup wins, or if it was just the raw talent of the team. Find out in our next episode, “Tokyo 2020”

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I'm still waiting on my Rose Lavelle jersey to show up in the mail. Ordered it right after the WC final, so that I didn't have time to think how much money I was spending. First official jersey I've ever bought despite being a giant baseball fan since I can remember. Suck on that, US Soccer's attorneys! Equal pay!

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I've heard "well now that the National Team players are back blah blah blah..." from a couple of people this past week and I'm just "The gently caress? The Thorns didn't lose during the World Cup break. We were fine and the games were fun. Also, Midge loving Purce."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
USWNT playing Ireland tonight at 10pm EST in their first victory tour game, Morgan/Pinoe sitting for continued injury recovery I guess which -- fine, both of them need to get better so they can play for their club teams again