Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

interesting start to the chelsea - arsenal game as the WSL seemingly allowed arsenal to show up with their white socks before they changed their mind and forced them to find an alternative, which ofc was chelseas away socks

also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

this game is incredibly stupid lmao

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Leah will want to be subbed off at half time

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Chelsea are just running circles around Arsenal

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

The first stage of the UWCL quarter finals start in a little under an hour.
Early game is Ajax - Chelsea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJfdCoMV1z4

Late is Benfica - Lyon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4unZTye55I

And tomorrows matches are BK Häcken - PSG and Brann - Barcelona.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiHVYbDb9mg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ue2tSG3174
(They've only scheduled the norwegian stream so far, so the english is either a bit late or behind the Dazn registration wall.)

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

In non-UWCL news, the 2024 season of the Norwegian league started this previous weekend and Brann got humiliated 4-2 by LSK, and also by their own coach. The halftime result was 2-0 to LSK and so the Brann coach decided to have his halftime peptalk on the field instead, leading to some awkward scenes as the players absorbed his angry yelling in full view of the cameras and spectators.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
So the NWSL decided to copy the MLS and stage a competition with (some of) LigaMX Feminil during the summer, although I'm much more OK with this cash grab tourney because I would like both leagues to have more money and this is taking place during the international break for the Olympics when both teams are pausing their regular seasons anyway.

It does, however, feature 5 groups...feeding into a 4 team knockout bracket...

:ughh:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

whypick1 posted:

It does, however, feature 5 groups...feeding into a 4 team knockout bracket...

...what?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

drat group c

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

BTW, CAF1 (Group C) is Nigeria/South Africa, CAF2 (Group B) is Zambia/Morocco.

C is a murderer's row for sure, B is no slouch either. My guess is France/Canada, US/Germany, pick 2 of Spain/Japan/Brazil, then Australia and the third of Spain/Japan/Brazil as the 3rd place teams to advance. Sorry CAF.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Another year, another sexual misconduct story from the NWSL.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

NWSL is back and with it, lots of running and the high-quality highlights we know and love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pebhfap0Guw

Fun to watch as always but US teams should really invest in getting some defence coaches. How about getting a penalty and, when the other team misses, getting another, two seconds after that? Or that Courage defender number 4 doing absolutely gently caress all with that second Utah goal.

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 23, 2024

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

And also City is destroying United rn but that was expected since they only got Geyse last transfer window. How long is Earps' contract?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Defense? What do you think we are? Italian?

That second Utah goal should have gotten closed down better, but it's still a tasty snipe.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Yeah it was a golazo.

Speaking of golazos, watch Marta here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ukhz8Xt1kKM

You could also make an argument for maybe probably someone on the pitch marking the six time best player of the year winner but :effort:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Oooh, how the heck do you leave her entirely alone?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Some outstanding refereeing in the Villa Arsenal WSL game tonight

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Appreciate Gotham going into Portland and stealing a 2nd straight W there

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

marioinblack posted:

Appreciate Gotham going into Portland and stealing a 2nd straight W there

I’m not too mad about it, losing 2 goals to offsides stings but poo poo happens, outside of 1 derp (that cost them the game) the defense at least wasn’t the utter sieve it was last week. Crowd was obviously pissed and I couldn’t tell from where I was but sounds like the TV showed the offsides were legit?

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Thaddius the Large posted:

I’m not too mad about it, losing 2 goals to offsides stings but poo poo happens, outside of 1 derp (that cost them the game) the defense at least wasn’t the utter sieve it was last week. Crowd was obviously pissed and I couldn’t tell from where I was but sounds like the TV showed the offsides were legit?

Yeah the first one was very clear. Second one was closer, but it looked clear and obvious on replay. I thought Gotham played well enough on the backline and catching Smith off twice certainly helped, just lacked a bit in the midfield. Missing the players they were missing didn't help and Purce going off sucks (at least Ryan came in and delivered the assist). At the very least, I had some nice beverages at the watch party and won a VIP ticket package.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
just bagged me a "premium" seat for 25 quid for spurs' semi-final against leicester. insane view. thank you mr levy

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
cursed sport

https://twitter.com/100Purcent/status/1773037177644925041

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

uuugh. I loving hate ACL injuries.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

habeasdorkus posted:

uuugh. I loving hate ACL injuries.

They really are. I’ve been following Sydney FC in the Australian league this year, and our captain/key centreback did her ACL about 30 minutes into the first game of the season.

Another player did her ACL in training, and then last week our gun leftback did hers too. I was absolutely gutted for her, she’s had a fantastic season and was on the cusp of an overseas move and national team callup :smith:

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

barcelona - brann in just under an hour
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83kxobYO9Sw

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Maanum collapsed on the pitch today, reported to now be in a stable condition

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
lol

https://twitter.com/caitmargaret21/status/1774480662973891002

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Hayes having a Mourinho moment there

...if Mourinho was actually good and didn't run his teams into the ground after two seasons.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Ah, we're back to the dysfunctional federation play again.

CGH was called up for the two games against Finland and the Netherlands, but it doesn't look like she's showed up for practice this week. It also looks like she didn't tell the federation about it, since both Synne Jensen and Marit Bratberg Lund asked for a leave of absence after the selection, which was granted and let them get Emilie Haavi (its borderline negligent that she wasn't part of the squad to being with) and Anja Sønstevold in as replacements.

And then today the federation just dropped the news that they'll make an announcement about CGH later, and also provide a status update on Frida Maanum. The news brief I'm reading is getting update in real time as I write this, but the federation looks to be downplaying it saying it's an injury and that there's "no drama" behind it.

That might be true, but she also left the last national team camp with a hamstring injury in the 3-0 win over Croatia on February 23rd, only to return to Barcelona and play just about every minute there. Including the two UWCL matches against Brann, before she picked up 22 minutes in the 5-0 win over Levante last weekend.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Surely Maanum is out for months, she collapsed but was conscious and nobody yet has said they've found the cause

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Surely Maanum is out for months, she collapsed but was conscious and nobody yet has said they've found the cause

That's what I'm thinking as well. According to the federation the medical team at Arsenal wants to run some more tests tomorrow and the national team isn't expected to make a decision on asking her to join the team until friday. But I doubt they will.

They also announced CGHs leave of absence saying she's out with a minor injury she suffered during the last Barca game, and say they think the she will rejoin Barcelona for their next match. They wish her well and hope she will join them during the next national team camp, which.. well... I'm starting to see a pattern here and I wouldn't be surprised if the next time I see CGH and the national team together in a newspaper article it's about her asking not to be called up for a while.

Grimson fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 3, 2024

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

BBC are reporting that she's definitely not playing

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68725586

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

No cause found yet, she's wearing a heart monitor

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68734460

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

That's both reassuring but also so weird that they don't know what the cause is

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Well that's a lovely start

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Ooh, boy, giving up a goal in the first minute is brutal

Come on USA!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Shaw saw what Tyler Adams did a couple weeks ago and said "I can do that"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

jaedyn shaw stonks: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^