Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm gonna post about some positive signs in one corner of UK women's football regarding Aston Villa. As you all probably know they were bought this past year by a consortium of Wes Edens (bucks owner) and Nassef Sawiris (extremely rich egyptian dude). They got promoted, and the club is splashing cash in an effort to stay up. But in addition to the work with the men, under the new regime Aston Villa appear to be investing a poo poo load of time effort and money in to Aston Villa WFC (renamed from LFC to be more modern). Right now they play in the Championship and frankly were mediocre last season in Gemma Davies' first year as head coach, but they've made quite a few signings to go for promotion this next season, notably:

Marisa Ewers, German international, coming over from City in the Super League. Star defensive midfielder.
Melissa Johnson, forward signed from Leicester. Scores goals.
Emily Syme, attacking midfielder, 18 years old, logged 15 appearances at Yeovil last year in the Super League. Huge signing.
Ella Franklin, young defender from Leicester who also played for University of Birmingham under head coach Gemma Davies.
Charlotte Greengrass, young defender signed from Leicester, got first team minutes over there and will probably get the same here.
Shania Hayles, young striker who has played for England U-21 and originally came up through academy before moving over to City. Trying to break in to first team. Really exciting in preseason friendlies so far.
Natalie Haigh, defender signed from Coventry, experienced vet and played in Denmark as well.
Emma Follin, who came up through the academy before leaving for NWSL and then most recently a substantial stint at City in the Super League. Good veteran presence in the midfield.

The moves have been pretty great on paper, lots of experience in the Super League even for the younger signings, and some really promising young players who should be able to grow and develop and break in to the first team.
The only player you might recognize from senior level international football is Nadine Hanssen from the Dutch national team, in her second season.

As a fan, I have also noticed a lot more featuring and cross linking of the women's stuff on AFVC's main website, twitter account, and youtube channels. They still play at a tiny little ground that they rent out from Boldmere St. Michaels of the Midland League, but the hype from the main club is a lot higher. According to the coaching staff, they're also getting a lot more resources and support from the club in terms of day-to-day operations, not just in terms of opening of the wallet for players.

Also in cool women's development facts, the head coach is Gemma Davies, who is 26 and the youngest coach in the Super League or Championship. Many of the assistants are also homegrown women coaches.

edit: forgot to mention that the club is gradually professionalizing as well, which is a big step and is required for the Super League. The Championship is still semi-professional.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

This is cool and good

https://twitter.com/guardian_sport/status/1158705090234134530

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/dabeard/status/1159221958040571911
that sounds about right

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
It seems like the primary function of any sports governing body is to shoot itself in the di...foot...whenever possible.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the number one enemy of us soccer is US Soccer

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
drat, Toni Pressley (defender for Orlando Pride) was diagnosed with breast cancer and just had surgery for it :(

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
Cascada Clash tonight. Don't have much hope for the Reign with their injury list, though.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

gently caress Tacoma.
Stream here: https://sports.yahoo.com/video/nwsl-thorns-fc-reign-fc-172448121.html

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
Press with a brace already 30 min into the Utah-SB game.

And we got a rare shot from Broon (wide, but dangerous enough for the keeper to touch it for the corner).

All this and I think SB actually has the higher share of possession.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Looks like we're headed for another 1-0 Reign win from a goal that came out of nowhere.

:smug:

highme
May 25, 2001

Cash us in a knock out game.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the number one enemy of us soccer is US Soccer

Because the mission of US Soccer is to funnel money to MLS owners and not to actually develop soccer in the US

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Washington v Chicago this Saturday, big game for both. Spirit need a win to stay in the playoff hunt, Red Stars to go atop the table.

highme
May 25, 2001

Thorns host the Courage at noon Pacific on ESPN news or wherever you stream it.

highme
May 25, 2001

Zerboni eats farts.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Press is looking good with utah today. Had one goal taken back because the passer was offside, but you can see she's giving the other team trouble keeping up.

highme
May 25, 2001

Here's a good piece on the post WC attendance bump. The only thing I want to add is that for a "record breaking" sell out there were solid patches of empty seats throughout the stadium on Sunday.

https://equalizersoccer.com/2019/08/12/portland-set-a-new-nwsl-attendance-record-but-this-isnt-just-their-moment/

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Frank de Boer has some opinions :jerkbag:

quote:

Atlanta United manager Frank de Boer has said he does not believe in equal pay for men and women in football, or sports such as tennis, because women don't bring in as much revenue, according to a report.

"I think for me, it's ridiculous," De Boer told The Guardian when asked about the plans for equal pay. "It's the same like tennis. If there are watching, for the World Cup final, 500 million people or something like that, and 100 million for a women's final, that's a difference. So it's not the same. And of course they have to be paid what they deserve to [earn] and not less, just what they really deserve. If it's just as popular as the men, they will get it, because the income and the advertising will go into that. But it's not like that, so why do they have to earn the same? I think it's ridiculous. I don't understand that."

De Boer represented the Netherlands at the 1994 and 1998 men's World Cups, and the Dutch women reached the final of the 2019 Women's World Cup before losing, 2-0, to the U.S. women in July.

The Royal Dutch Football Association has already pledged pay equity for its men's and women's teams. The women will receive yearly raises through 2023, when their earnings for national team service will equal that of their male counterparts. The U.S. women, meanwhile, sued the U.S. Soccer Federation in March, arguing that their pay and working conditions amounted to gender discrimination.

De Boer, the former Ajax coach who took over as manager for the defending MLS champions in December 2018, disagrees with gender pay gaps in the workplace but says they are still warranted in sports.

"I think it started because a woman [was] getting underpaid, especially at [managerial] positions," he told the newspaper. "They have to earn the same as a man. I think if you have a manager position for a bank or something, you have to earn the same what the men did because it's not physically, just only here [points to head], so why do you have to earn less, because you're doing the same job as a man? I think that's also dropped a little bit into the sports world, like tennis and soccer. But I think that's still different."

U.S. players, including Megan Rapinoe, Carli Lloyd and Alex Morgan, say they have been consistently paid less than their male counterparts despite performing better. The prize money for the women's World Cup doubled to $30 million this year, but this paled in comparison to the €400m ($448m) available for the men's tournament winners last year. Last week, the U.S. Soccer Federation hired the services of two lobbying firms to counter the U.S. women's claims, a USSF spokesperson confirmed to ESPN FC. In the wake of the U.S. women's team's World Cup victory, legislation was introduced in both the U.S. Senate and the U.S. House of Representatives requiring the USSF to pay players on the respective U.S. women's and men's national team equally.

The 2019 Women's World Cup final drew 22% more viewers in the United States than the 2018 men's final, according to data from Nielsen cited by Fox Sports. The U.S. men did not play in the 2018 final, which saw France beat Croatia, 4-2.

According to Nielsen data for U.S. viewership, 14.3 million tuned in to the Women's World Cup final via linear television, compared with 11.4 million for the 2018 men's final. The addition of online streaming put total viewership at 20 million via Fox Sports, making it the most-watched soccer match on U.S. English-language television, men's or women's, since the 2015 Women's World Cup final, which saw 25.4 million viewers.

According to a report in CNN, an additional 1.6 million viewers watched the final match in Spanish on Telemundo in the United States.

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA
More Euro stuff:

• The Danish league is now called Gjensidige Kvindeliga and streams on Mycujoo.
    Those of you who know Scandinavian might wonder why the name is half Norwegian and half Danish: it's because they got themselves sponsored by a Norwegian insurance company.

• The German Frauen Bundesliga will apparently have some matches sent by Eurosport, and the rest streamed by Telekom. The latter probably requires a subscription.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Zwachro posted:

More Euro stuff:

Thanks! Updated the OP!

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Zwachro posted:

More Euro stuff:

• The Danish league is now called Gjensidige Kvindeliga and streams on Mycujoo.
    Those of you who know Scandinavian might wonder why the name is half Norwegian and half Danish: it's because they got themselves sponsored by a Norwegian insurance company.

For some reason Norwegian companies are now sponsoring every major league in Scandinavia. OBOS has the naming rights to both the Norwegian Toppserien and the swedish Damallsvenskan from before.

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA

Grimson posted:

For some reason Norwegian companies are now sponsoring every major league in Scandinavia. OBOS has the naming rights to both the Norwegian Toppserien and the swedish Damallsvenskan from before.
OBOS is Toppserien's main sponsor, but Toppserien is still just Toppserien; OBOS only has naming rights for Damallsvenskan.

NFF did away with naming rights a couple of years ago when Tippeligaen became Eliteserien (again), and I assume the same holds for the women's league. Maybe they kept the (lack of) naming rights when they, after refusing OBOS' initial sponsorship offer and pissing off absolutely everyone, caved and handed the sponsor stuff for the women's league over to the actual women?

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA
There's a friendly mini-tournament going on in the States right now, between Lyon, North Carolina Courage, Manchester City and Atletico Madrid. First round is already over, but if nothing else you should be able to watch the matches back on facebook (if you're in one of the countries listed in the tweet below, VPN is required).
https://twitter.com/iccwomen/status/1162076692363534336

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
I have tickets to the ICC final on Sunday and am not sure who I'm rooting for. NCC is my local team (and I'm fond of Dunn, Debinha, and Mewis), but OL has so much talent (Bronze, Henry, Marozan, Hegerberg). Should be a fun game.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Up the Courage! gently caress up them Olympiques!

also:
https://twitter.com/thrace/status/1162880205767282688

:hmmyes:

Analog
Feb 2, 2001

Engineer Lenk posted:

I have tickets to the ICC final on Sunday and am not sure who I'm rooting for. NCC is my local team (and I'm fond of Dunn, Debinha, and Mewis), but OL has so much talent (Bronze, Henry, Marozan, Hegerberg). Should be a fun game.

That's basically how I feel about the Washington - Portland game tonight. I'm a Spirit fan so I'll be rooting for them, but Portland is so drat fun to watch that I'll enjoy the game either way.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Villa opener against Sheffield United today, already down two goals in 22 minutes. This is not the start we are looking for against a team that ended up one place higher in the table!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Villa opener against Sheffield United today, already down two goals in 22 minutes. This is not the start we are looking for against a team that ended up one place higher in the table!

They came back to win it 3-2 on a Melissa Johnson hat trick.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I know it's a super minor thing, but it's really annoying to see the no-longer-in-Seattle Reign FC show up as "SEA" on the broadcast scoreboard.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Gotta love these announcers who are less concerned about the well-being of the woman who's been literally screaming in pain for several minutes now than about how her loss will affect her team...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

...! posted:

Gotta love these announcers who are less concerned about the well-being of the woman who's been literally screaming in pain for several minutes now than about how her loss will affect her team...

Equality is a harsh mistress

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

They came back to win it 3-2 on a Melissa Johnson hat trick.

That sounds like an amazing game! Any place to watch the highlights?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

And another Reign FC player left the field injured, this time due to a broken rib.

Can't wait to see the lucky fan sitting in Section G, Row F, Seat 12 in the starting lineup in two weeks.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

Highlights for the championship are inconsistent, and if posted won’t be til during the week. If they are, I’ll link them!

Analog
Feb 2, 2001

Good game between North Carolina and Lyon so far!

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
That Maro goal was so good.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Lyon's roster is absurdist levels of international talent and that game against NC was really fun. I didn't even realize until that game that Nikita Parris had signed with them this past offseason.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

Not a full package but the club posted Johnson’s three goals. Second one was very well struck.

https://twitter.com/AVWFCOfficial/status/1163473195363708934?s=20

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

The cutback pass on the third goal was pretty good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Paulson spilling beans on NWSL expansion in a twitter thread:

https://twitter.com/LukeFritz64/status/1164343587846283264

Seems like that the only team out of the southeast that could qualify as a "really big addition" would be Atlanta.