Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I hadn't realized this tournament was happening! Glad I found out in time to catch a couple of games.

USA vs Brazil is starting right now. Here's the schedule for the rest:

- Argentina vs Canada, 2/21 at 6 pm Eastern
- Canada vs Brazil, 2/24 at 4 pm Eastern
- USA vs Argentina, 2/24 at 7 pm Eastern

Also glad to see we're not starting Carli Lloyd today. I don't think she has it at the international level anymore.

edit: GODDAMN THAT DEFENSE FROM DUNN

surf rock fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I love most of this team, but I just have so much fun watching Rose with the ball.

edit: I think Alex Morgan flops sometimes, but I also think that she gets the absolute poo poo knocked out of her virtually every match. I wonder if she's just like constantly talking trash or something; it's wild.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 21, 2021

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/diannaESPN/status/1370138141575761921

Goddamn, she is so fun to watch play.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Ouch, drat, that was a pretty blatant pull on Press's ponytail in the USA/France game.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 13, 2021

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

whypick1 posted:

I believe this is the first time I've seen a team change its name and branding in the middle of a match, as KC's kits are now rocking the new logo.

Different sport, but this is Junior Goodwill Games erasure :colbert:

edit: vvv got'em

surf rock fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 1, 2021

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Alright, the draw against the Czechs was kind of embarrassing; we gotta do better today.

I am glad that we're trying out younger talent though. Dropping almost everyone 31+ feels a little extreme, but this is the right time to try it.

edit: we take own goals!

edit: twice!

surf rock fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 20, 2022

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Jesus Christ this is brutal

I really think the second one shouldn't count as an own goal though. It wasn't like she intentionally headed it in; the ball ricocheted off her face

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

gently caress YEAH, finally got one of our own

GOAAAAAAAAL

edit: oh poo poo how did I not know that Trinity Rodman was Dennis Rodman's daughter

edit: PEW-PEW-PEW, it's PUGH!

surf rock fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 20, 2022

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Sorry to double-post, but the USWNT got a good settlement on the lawsuit!

https://twitter.com/GMA/status/1496102536553578498

edit: I refuse to triple post but GOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL MACARIO THAT WAS SICK

surf rock fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 24, 2022

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

MACARIO DOES IT AGAIN GOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL

fake edit: also I've been pretty impressed by our goalie in this game, Murphy; I like her aggressiveness

real edit: PEW PEW PUGH MAKES IT 3-0

real edit 2: the male commentator for these games sounds so much like Bash Howard from GLOW, it's nuts

real edit 3: THE PUGH-MACARIO DREAM CONNECTION ROLLING 4-0 WOOOOOO

surf rock fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 24, 2022

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

AND MEWIS MAKES FIVE

What a positive trendline for this tournament: a 0-0 draw, followed by a 5-0 win aided by three own goals, ending with a clean 5-0 win.

I don't feel that our defensive performance has been strong enough to merit the total tournament shutout, but hell, I'll take it!

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

GOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL

LET'S GO ALEX

edit: LET'S GO ALEX x2

surf rock fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 5, 2022

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

That was not a subtle penalty

edit: SERIOUSLY?

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

It looks like there are ~200 people in attendance.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

THAT ONE COUNTS, LET'S GO PURCE!

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Fun stat from here: https://theathletic.com/news/uswnt-haiti-concacaf-w-championship/pIUC3Mj0Qpjq/

With the victory, USWNT has now won 27 consecutive matches in CONCACAF tournaments dating back to 2010, outscoring opponents 139-0 in those matches.

Well.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Dang, two goals lost to offsides already.

Also, watching the replays of the second actual goal, the arc of the Jamaican defender's leg seemed to be entirely inside the goal, so I have to imagine the ball did cross the line before she kicked it out.

edit: ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE

surf rock fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 8, 2022

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

It does not feel like the USWNT is going to beat Canada. C'mon team, prove me wrong.

edit: goddamn that was a sick breakaway, too bad we couldn't convert it

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Rose Lavelle is my favorite player, but I feel like she's botched multiple scoring opportunities in this game. :(

edit: SMITH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

ALEX loving MORGAN

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Goddamn, glad Naeher caught that clean to end it.

Not an amazing tournament, but the USWNT did what it needed to. Personally, I'd like to see Rodman and Purce get a little more time going forward.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Japan hustling approximately 10x harder than the USWNT at the moment, dang

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

GODDAMN SWANSON IS LIGHTING UP THIS TOURNAMENT

Great pass Morgan! tbh I thought the team was kind of boned without Rose (my pick for team MVP for the past couple of years) but they're making it work

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

WHAT A GOAL FROM MORGAN

Shout-out to Horan and Swanson in the lead-up too

edit: ROSE-2-SWANSON

surf rock fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 23, 2023

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Well, hard to complain too much about a 3-0 tournament victory with 5 goals for and 1 goal against.

Overall, I liked our attack and our goalkeeping. Our midfield was kind of tragic and our defense didn't feel very consistent.

Didn't think Sanchez, Kornieck, Sonnett, or Lynn Williams looked very good. However, Swanson is turning into an absolute dynamo, and I still think a healthy Rose is the most valuable player in women's soccer.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Kind of a dreadful start for the USWNT against Ireland. I don't really doubt that they'll win the game, but there's not a lot to write home about here yet.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

poo poo, did Mal hurt her neck in that collision? She's not really moving; that looked like an American football injury. :ohdear:

edit: oh thank god she's up. I've been traumatized by neck poo poo ever since the Packers lost Nick Collins and Jermichael Finley in rapid succession to career-enders.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 8, 2023

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Oh boy, there's Mal again, and now they're getting the stretcher. Looks like she tried to plant her leg and it buckled maybe?

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

poo poo, Swanson had to go to the hospital. No diagnosis yet: https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states-usaw/story/4919334/usa-mallory-swanson-taken-to-hospital-after-knee-injury-vs-ireland

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Alright, let's see if we can get through a game without a nightmare injury to a top-three talent on the team, wooooooooo

EDIT: what a sick goal from Cook goddamn

surf rock fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 12, 2023

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

That was kind of a brutal two games even without factoring in Mal's injury. This team is, uh, not inspiring a ton of confidence heading into the summer.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

LET'S GO ROSE

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Always happy to watch a match where Purce is thriving. The podcast she had with Katie Nolan last year totally sold me on her.

Also this match could easily have been 9-0

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

OK, through 30 minutes the USWNT squad is looking real rough.

Rose's chemistry seems off with the others, and I'm not sure what's going on with Sophia Smith either. I mean, I don't think anybody's looking great but we are just don't seem capable of sustaining an attack at the moment.

edit: and that's what happens!

surf rock fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 27, 2024

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

I'm not even sure this is Mexico playing great. I think they look fine and the goal was nice (and I think that's given them a bit of a confidence boost that's making them play more aggressively since then), but this seems to be a lot of the USWNT just falling over itself.

I'm expecting multiple subs at halftime. They gotta change something in the front third.

edit: okay the degree to which we were struggling to do a throw-in was just sad. Also, Rodman, you gotta take a shot on your breakaway.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 27, 2024

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Mexico should have won this by 4-0. I can't point to a single player's performance tonight as good. Just brutal in every respect.

That new coach can't arrive soon enough. Also, I didn't mention it before, but Becky Sauerbrunn seems finished. The total lack of offense tonight was ugly and made me focus on the front third, but the back third seemed completely lost too.

Honestly, that game was so bad that I almost expect a story to come out tomorrow about how most of the squad got food poisoning day-of or something. It's hard to believe a lineup change caused that.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

I'm actually not sure how it's possible that Alex Morgan missed that.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Well, these playing conditions look absolutely miserable.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

lol, what a funny goal

Good hustle, Shaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Why on earth do they ever pass backward in these conditions, there is virtually nothing to gain