Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
as someone with no dog in the fight that was a pretty fun match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I only tuned in to the end of Washington-Houston and the commentary team claimed that the stadium had been more full but lots of folks had left due to the weather delay.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I am stoked for the first match.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Red stars looked decent last week against nc, I like their chances

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Slick

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Reign have had a few chances but this looks pretty dominant by red stars

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I don’t think this will end 2-0

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Reign were doing more at the end of the half but that’s gotta be the dagger

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bit of a statement win

whypick1 posted:

I wish my team wasn't so injured :(

i know pinoe is injured, who else? i don't know the rosters real well

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i am amused that houston has a player named OHAI

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'm gonna post about some positive signs in one corner of UK women's football regarding Aston Villa. As you all probably know they were bought this past year by a consortium of Wes Edens (bucks owner) and Nassef Sawiris (extremely rich egyptian dude). They got promoted, and the club is splashing cash in an effort to stay up. But in addition to the work with the men, under the new regime Aston Villa appear to be investing a poo poo load of time effort and money in to Aston Villa WFC (renamed from LFC to be more modern). Right now they play in the Championship and frankly were mediocre last season in Gemma Davies' first year as head coach, but they've made quite a few signings to go for promotion this next season, notably:

Marisa Ewers, German international, coming over from City in the Super League. Star defensive midfielder.
Melissa Johnson, forward signed from Leicester. Scores goals.
Emily Syme, attacking midfielder, 18 years old, logged 15 appearances at Yeovil last year in the Super League. Huge signing.
Ella Franklin, young defender from Leicester who also played for University of Birmingham under head coach Gemma Davies.
Charlotte Greengrass, young defender signed from Leicester, got first team minutes over there and will probably get the same here.
Shania Hayles, young striker who has played for England U-21 and originally came up through academy before moving over to City. Trying to break in to first team. Really exciting in preseason friendlies so far.
Natalie Haigh, defender signed from Coventry, experienced vet and played in Denmark as well.
Emma Follin, who came up through the academy before leaving for NWSL and then most recently a substantial stint at City in the Super League. Good veteran presence in the midfield.

The moves have been pretty great on paper, lots of experience in the Super League even for the younger signings, and some really promising young players who should be able to grow and develop and break in to the first team.
The only player you might recognize from senior level international football is Nadine Hanssen from the Dutch national team, in her second season.

As a fan, I have also noticed a lot more featuring and cross linking of the women's stuff on AFVC's main website, twitter account, and youtube channels. They still play at a tiny little ground that they rent out from Boldmere St. Michaels of the Midland League, but the hype from the main club is a lot higher. According to the coaching staff, they're also getting a lot more resources and support from the club in terms of day-to-day operations, not just in terms of opening of the wallet for players.

Also in cool women's development facts, the head coach is Gemma Davies, who is 26 and the youngest coach in the Super League or Championship. Many of the assistants are also homegrown women coaches.

edit: forgot to mention that the club is gradually professionalizing as well, which is a big step and is required for the Super League. The Championship is still semi-professional.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 4, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the number one enemy of us soccer is US Soccer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Villa opener against Sheffield United today, already down two goals in 22 minutes. This is not the start we are looking for against a team that ended up one place higher in the table!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Villa opener against Sheffield United today, already down two goals in 22 minutes. This is not the start we are looking for against a team that ended up one place higher in the table!

They came back to win it 3-2 on a Melissa Johnson hat trick.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

...! posted:

Gotta love these announcers who are less concerned about the well-being of the woman who's been literally screaming in pain for several minutes now than about how her loss will affect her team...

Equality is a harsh mistress

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

That sounds like an amazing game! Any place to watch the highlights?

Highlights for the championship are inconsistent, and if posted won’t be til during the week. If they are, I’ll link them!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

That sounds like an amazing game! Any place to watch the highlights?

Not a full package but the club posted Johnson’s three goals. Second one was very well struck.

https://twitter.com/AVWFCOfficial/status/1163473195363708934?s=20

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Gigi Galli posted:

If the team could land a stadium somewhere T accessible again I’d start going. I foolishly only went to one Breakers game when they were playing at Harvard. The open cup games there for the revs are awesome.

What happened with the revs moving to a new site in the inner belt / assembly row?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

in AVFC women news that nobody cares about except me, they went down to London today against the Lionesses (which split out from Millwall this year), scored early, fell behind 2-1 just after half, and won 3-2 on two goals in three minutes. After two matches they're the only team with six points.

edit: they are not, durham also have six points. but they did not win back to back matches last season so this development is still both cool and good

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 26, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

:killing:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Villa Women take on Blackburn at Villa Park this weekend. I hope they draw a good crowd. Last year was about 1600, which feels pretty empty even though it was an attendance record for the ladies. We'll see if the World Cup, the focus from the club, new signings, and the fact that they've started 2-0 in pretty good form has helped attendance. It should!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

villa did a cool video of the run up to the match at Villa Park against Blackburn (which they won 2-1, the scoreline flattering Blackburn a bit)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyRLijQcSvw

pretty neat! increasing the days of training must have quite a positive effect. unfortunately only 1200 showed up to VP, quite a bit short of last year's 1600.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Villa just demolished Palace away 0-6, another hat trick for Melissa Johnson giving her 7 in four matches so far.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the villa are running riot over the Championship and Melissa Johnson has ten goals in five games.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

they looked underwhelming against villa in the cup, but i think that villa is very well positioned for promotion so there's not much of a gap (if any) between the two sides

it has made a very big difference for Villa this year that the club management has put significant focus on the women's team and provide a lot more resources.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

hey villa are staying up due to a gritty 0-0 draw today against Arsenal!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

Five straight draws to stay up!

Chelsea didn't make it exciting yesterday. Scored at 2' and never looked back.

the whole coaching staff was canned today though.

They brought in Marcus Bignot when they were scuffling mid season with a mandate to keep the team up, which he achieved, so his departure was expected. But Davies (head coach) and Sugarman (assistant manager) were both let go. I hope this indicates that the club will be spending more money on the women's game and will be bringing on new and better staff.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

drat that was a hell of a turn

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It would be excellent if the men joined them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Boston is getting a NWSL franchise in 2025 and I am pretty excited.

https://twitter.com/itsmeglinehan/status/1704113131373383924?s=20