Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

ragnarokette posted:

Is there a way to watch the Big New Shiny Cannon Thing when it happens as a new player that will actually be interesting and won't get me shot for being a spai? I'm new and not really sure what's going on besides turning that peninsula into a parking lot at some point.

Best bet is probably getting into the Goon discord and listening for when it starts, then logging in when it does. You're probably not going to find yourself in a position to observe the enemy storm cannons getting shelled, so go to one of the Warden storm cannon bases in Linn of Mercy and hopefully you'll get to watch them fire. If you're (un)lucky, the base you pick might be the one the collies decide to target, in which case you should grab a hammer and a stack of Bmats and repair damage to any storm cannon bunkers at less than 100% while you listen to the booms.

It's not likely to be visually spectacular regardless. The Storm Cannon duel gets played up because it's the harbinger of the frontline in Linn of Mercy actually moving for once, but otherwise it's just like the regular artillery barrages that happen constantly across the entire frontline, but with somewhat bigger explosions.

e: and yeah, there might be spotters streaming views of the enemy SC complexes, if you can find the streams

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
That said, the leader of KRGG promised goons a turn shooting the big guns at Feirmor after we presumably win the SC duel so if you’re on at the right time you’ll absolutely get to feel the power of firing a 300mm cannon.

My one time doing so a few wars ago we absolutely dumpstered a huge concrete base that was keeping us out of the Drowned Vale (a natural fortress of rivers and bridges) and had been frustrating our advances for weeks.

A+ experience watching something that could hold back hordes of tanks just melt under a rain of explosions.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

ragnarokette posted:

Is there a way to watch the Big New Shiny Cannon Thing when it happens as a new player that will actually be interesting and won't get me shot for being a spai? I'm new and not really sure what's going on besides turning that peninsula into a parking lot at some point.

if you are in the GOON clan, you basically are above suspicion amongst the warden faction for alting. We're well integrated amongst the faction and they all know we don't recruit from ingame. They also all know we have a lot of new and lowrank players, so they are generally more open. If you wanted to watch the show, just go to one of the storm cannons.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I saw the SC unlock message this morning but some of us are stuck at work. Did we turn everything south of Outwich in to a blasted wasteland yet?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
We appear to have won the duel and are currently pushing across the bridge.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Slashrat posted:

We appear to have won the duel and are currently pushing across the bridge.

Wow, absolutely. I was firing the intel center last night staring at that map for a long time and right off the bat I see those white BBs and Fort Duncan. That's a fuckload of concrete gone, a few storm cannons already, and a whole pile more that are going to get junk punched with a quickness. It would also be brave as all hell trying to smuggle ammo in to those remaining SCs if they even get them up and running. Getting partisaned and losing SC ammo would be funny (for us).

Crab ranGOON held the line!

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
It's hard to parse any information from the foxhole subreddit, but from what I gather from it, Wardens stole a truck full of tech materials from the Collies, and as a result the Collies had 10 hours of research left for 300mm ammo by the time the Warden SCs started firing.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

That was a drop in the bucket, really. The more likely answer is since it was the weekend the devs were slow to adjust tech mat drop rates for both sides to even things up.

The devs are constantly placing their thumbs on the scales in this game trying to keep things even between the factions.

Many Collies have also been obsessed with their new destroyers, prioritizing resource fields that were dropping the rare materials for those and ignoring other resource fields. Meanwhile Wardens mostly decided their sub was stupid and bad and just kept on focusing on technology mats.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 13, 2023

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

We took a storm cannon as a trophy. We built some walls around it so that folks can jump off the SC onto the walls (taking no fall damage). We also discovered that if you upgrade the wall while someone is on top of it and let the blueprint expire, it sends the people on top into loving space.

Anyway, Crab Ran [GOON] held! 2 weeks of protecting a massive front line fortress built exclusively by [GOON] paid off with a glorious victory today. Onward! To Fiermor!

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

RocketRaygun posted:

We took a storm cannon as a trophy. We built some walls around it so that folks can jump off the SC onto the walls (taking no fall damage). We also discovered that if you upgrade the wall while someone is on top of it and let the blueprint expire, it sends the people on top into loving space.

Anyway, Crab Ran [GOON] held! 2 weeks of protecting a massive front line fortress built exclusively by [GOON] paid off with a glorious victory today. Onward! To Fiermor!

I stopped by to tour the minefield and was suitably impressed.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Apparently Collies in nearby areas are starting to copy us and lay thick minefields of their own?

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Apparently Collies in nearby areas are starting to copy us and lay thick minefields of their own?

Hah! There's actually a doctrinal shift now that people have realised how useful thick minefields are?

Two full days shipping almost nothing but mines has paid off.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Will the trophy SC eventually self-destruct from lack of maintenance, or can it somehow live of the nearby Warden infrastructure?

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Does this game support smaller playgroups any better than it used to a few years ago? I recall it being a bit of an issue how you needed to stack up with a massive zerg to not get rolled over

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Iymarra posted:

Hah! There's actually a doctrinal shift now that people have realised how useful thick minefields are?

Two full days shipping almost nothing but mines has paid off.

I remember laying minefields when I played about a year ago and people would kind of be like, "Um, okay I guess it doesn't hurt anything." Ironically (or not), deep minefields with doubled-up mines as in the screenshots is what Russia built in southern Ukraine.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Slashrat posted:

Will the trophy SC eventually self-destruct from lack of maintenance, or can it somehow live of the nearby Warden infrastructure?

yeah, it's currently decaying, but people are repairing it to keep it alive.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Minorkos posted:

Does this game support smaller playgroups any better than it used to a few years ago? I recall it being a bit of an issue how you needed to stack up with a massive zerg to not get rolled over

it does not. The entire point of the goon clan is to provide a space for smaller goon groups to group together under one tag, have a focused objective, and to do diplomacy with other warden clans as a single unit. We have a bunch of 4-6 person small groups that do their own thing under the GOON tag. I try to set very high level objectives and y'all can just do what you want to achieve them. This is how Crab Ran [GOON] happened. A few of us designed the base, another group focused hard on getting the concrete, a group focused hard on running scrap mines and getting the materials we needed... It was super duper effective.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Got my PC back and upgraded and ready to help win this war.

I am looking forward to the tanking phase as I have yet to crew in a Battle Tank.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
Oh hey! We won the war last week. :toot: Want to watch? https://108replay.com/

Organized Goon Foxhole activity is at a zero right now, the new war started like 36 hours ago and our officers are too burnt-out to organize and facility-touch.

That said, there's plenty of good Warden groups to work with if you still want to do some Foxholing. Wouldn't it be funny if Wardens won the break war??? :haw:

KlavoHunter fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 7, 2023

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yeah taking a break from the game this war, Roy will be back when the Navy stuff gets expanded and fleshed out and Pokchu is a family man and the holidays are coming.

But rest assured in the new year when things get interesting we'll dust off the GOON tag and be ready to support people when the holidays have passed and they've recharged. In the mean time if you still got the itch the 82DK, FMAT and KRRG always are happy for help.

We will of course still get peeps in and help out in the Discord too. That was a good war for us I hope in the new year we'll top it.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

You could also take a colonial vacation! It's nice to familiarize yourself with both side's equipment.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Don't be afraid to go green and hang out with Grunty too yeah.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

alright, me and 3 buddies have wardens on able and charlie. Where's the goonfolks

e: new years, alrighty

BrotherJayne fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Dec 15, 2023

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.
[GOON] as a regiment is mostly inactive after last war's tryharding, but DrCaptainSir and co can drag you along to play with 11e, I'm sure.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

I'm gonna organize some lower key stuff for 110. Pick a front, build a base, gently caress around, have fun. No coalition, maybe some ops, and definitely not a lynchpin base in one of the most important fronts of the war.

taters
Jun 13, 2005

Bumpin' this. The current war is turning into a hoot. There is an active Goon presence w/ base and industrial facility.

No matter how hard the developers try to prevent it, the Colonials can always drop the ball.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

What happened this time?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Might jump back into this

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Galaga Galaxian posted:

What happened this time?

from what I can tell wardens are just the "grit and skill" faction and it is difficult to beat them. also goons started playing and that's when it all turned around

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Galaga Galaxian posted:

What happened this time?

They merged Charlie into Able just as collies started getting victory disease and logging off.

Warden pop is great rn, haven't seen it this busy at the refinery since naval update.

Collies could still easily win this, but that requires logging back on for the grind, and morale is all warden right now. We'll see if that remains once they build their fingers nuke.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh ok, so it wasn’t collies pulling some hilarious snatching defeat from the jaws of victory thing, just the usual. Darn, I was hoping for a funny story.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Darn, I was hoping for a funny story.

It might be because this is my first war, but it kinda is funny. It's funny that this happens all the time no matter how many crutches they are handed. Lmao.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Keisari posted:

It might be because this is my first war, but it kinda is funny. It's funny that this happens all the time no matter how many crutches they are handed. Lmao.

My first and only war went this way too. On the back foot the whole time, Wardens memeing about not hearing any bell, Collies were a hair's breadth from victory and then suddenly lost all their motivation + a bunch of vacationing Wardens came back when it was clear the 'break war' wasn't just going to end and that somehow the Wardens hadn't lost yet.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Morale matters in Foxhole in the same way it matters in real life and I feel like a giant nerd saying this. But it's been observed a bunch of times that even if you have a large lead, if your own side stops showing up due to being tired there's the ability for the other side to push you back and win anyway.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

ChaseSP posted:

Morale matters in Foxhole in the same way it matters in real life and I feel like a giant nerd saying this. But it's been observed a bunch of times that even if you have a large lead, if your own side stops showing up due to being tired there's the ability for the other side to push you back and win anyway.

When you have a lot of territory, that's a lot more msupps and bsupps you have to grind to maintain bases, and a lot longer of a supply line. poo poo's tiring.

I've been on plenty of pushes that have died off because we outran our supplies and there was no PVE equipment closer than 3-4 hexes back.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

because we outran our supplies

Also very realistic.

taters
Jun 13, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feKZ8jWKB0I

lol.

(this is several hundred man hours of work down the toilet)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Good old ATR.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
Hey, we've entered the nuclear war phase of the game, and Fort Goondor is likely to become a pivotal front. If there's any of y'all who want to come and lend us that extra oomph, we're evacuating every bit of logi out of a seaport that's targeted for an enemy nuke, and all sorts of other stuff you can learn about in the discord!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

KlavoHunter posted:

Hey, we've entered the nuclear war phase of the game, and Fort Goondor is likely to become a pivotal front. If there's any of y'all who want to come and lend us that extra oomph, we're evacuating every bit of logi out of a seaport that's targeted for an enemy nuke, and all sorts of other stuff you can learn about in the discord!

Game is a lot of fun right now. Collies are dispirited and their bad players are basically throwing themselves onto your tanks/guns.