Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

Reign of Queen Lisette I
7. The Lisettian Recovery

Fraeliene Geleeric posted:

Namaroy Sibilius has obtained something of a cult following among young historians and scribes in the last 20 years. His informal tone, bordering on the gossipy, is viewed by some as a welcome divergence from the formal, stuffy tone of accounts written during the Interregnum. But was he actually a scribe?

By this I don’t mean to question his existence, we have clear evidence from a number of court documents evidencing the hiring of a scribe from the Scribe’s Guild in 3507 by the name of Namaroy Sibilius. No, the question I am asking is this: was Sibilius an actual member of the guild?

While this question may seem an insane thing to ask about a famous (if not particularly well respected) historian, but a piece of evidence I personally found during my research of Sibilius has called his background into question. During a 6 month research trip to Camlorn this author met with an apprentice at the Scribe’s Guild library who shared with her a slim leather journal which had turned up during repair work. An infestation of skeevers had revealed an unknown room to the archives which had been bricked over at some point early in the Third Era.

This journal, signed by an “Namaroy S.”, claims that when everyone abandoned the guildhall during the Knahaten Flu the owner of said journal took up residence in the abandoned building and taught himself to read from the guild library while waiting out the plague. The journal further goes on to claim that Sibilius was the only person at the guildhall when an official of the court came to hire a scribe to write about the rule of Queen Lisette the First and thus got the position, despite having been born to a poor family of saltrice farmers in the Nibenay Basin. In the pages that follow I have included segments of Sibilius’ An Account of the Rule of Queen Lisette The First of Camlorn as well as segments from the diary which seem to match up. The Account text is in italics while the diary is surrounded in a box.

-Fraeliene Geleeric

In the first year of her rule the Queen of Camlorn, Lisette the First, sent diplomats all across Tamriel to take stock of the continent following the devastation of the Great Plague. These court officials sent back reports, which were collated into a general report by her scribe Namaroy Sibilius. Because no additional copies were produced at the time one has been included with this account for the sake of preserving it for future generations. Said generations will no doubt find it valuable to study the political situation of the world as it was decades before they were born.

Diary of Namaroy S. DO NOT READ!!! THIS BOOK HAS A DAEDRA’S CURSE ON IT posted:

On top of all my OTHER duties I have been told that I am to copy that rotten general diplomatic report down a second time for inclusion in the Queen’s damnable chronicle. I thought this court work stuff would be nothing but roast pheasant and plump scullery
Maids!

The way she looks at me when she gives me work, I swear she KNOWS! She’s just waiting for me to slip and miss a deadline or turn in a misspelled word and then she’ll have me beheaded. Oh Dibella give me strength.

17 Evening Star 545

High Rock, the homeland of the Breton people, is divided between two powerful realms following the end of the Plague. Noble Camlorn is ruled by Queen Lisette the First and controls nearly all of eastern and central High Rock, who displays all the fine qualities of a proper Breton lady. Western High Rock, however, is ruled by the tyrant and usurper Namasur formerly of the Yokuda Isles. The foreign cur was disinherited by his own father and responded by gathering a force of mercenaries, adventurers and vagabonds to invade the Kingdom of Daggerfall in the midst of the Plague. He then proceeded to declare himself King of High Rock, despite ruling less than a fourth of the region. The mighty warrior-king has yet to prove his might against a foe that isn’t suffering from the worst plague in history.

A number of small baronies and minor kingdoms remain independent in High Rock for the time being. Most notably is the Kingdom of Bhoriane, which sits between the two large Kingdoms, and the ancient Altmer stronghold on the Island of Balfiera. The false king over in Daggerfall will likely try to bully or conquer these weak realms before long.

Hammerfell, home of the Redguards, is more neatly divided into two kingdoms. King Avik the Second of House Hilythik rules over all of the deserts and semi-deserts of Hammerfell, which is an impressive feat since wastelands are in such high demand. Despite calling himself the King of Hammerfell Avik does not rule all of the region. The Kingdom of Rihad covers the grasslands and dry forests of the south. King Winsom Curetar’s people spend half the year fleeing flash floods and the other half fleeing forest fires. If their foreign gods time the floods right they cancel out the fires. With the extra leisure time the Crowns and Forebears can have a war to finally settle their problems, just like they have every year since the First Era.

The Arana dynasty, which has ruled the Summerset Isles so long that they can trace their rule to the first settlers, has died out. Since then a number of short-lived rulers have come and gone, causing instability throughout the realm. The “colony” in Valenwood has seen a great deal of trouble, as the native Wood Elves are trying to force the High Elves to leave. Having been to a few parties with High Elf guests I am sympathetic to their plight.

Speaking of Valenwood, the endless expanse of forest is ruled over by three different kingdoms. I personally have no idea how you draw a border under all those trees, but then again I don’t know how Wood Elves survive on an all-meat diet either. The ancient Camoran Dynasty rules over Falinesti in the north and west of the region. The center of Valenwood is ruled by the Chiefdom of Snapvine, scant information of which I was able to gather. The Wood Elves who live that deep in the forest are not known for their diplomatic niceties. The southeastern coastline is dominated by the “Archen pact”, a union between the royal houses of the city states of Haven and Southpoint.

The Kingdom of Elsweyr is ruled over by the Mane, a special type of Khajiit that is born under a special alignment of the moons. Apparently the Mane is reincarnated after death into the new Mane, who gets to be king for life even if he’s mentally deficient. The Merchant Republic of Senchal is one of the richest realms in all of Tamriel. If you have ever been in possession of an illegal substance or a stolen good chances are it passed through there. The report I received on the city from diplomat Jorcheim the Younger smelled strongly of Skooma and had many misspellings in it.

I have put in a request to have him fired and replaced by myself.

The Colovian Estates remain confined to their historical borders, for the most part. The stodgy lords of Western Cyrodiil maintain their confederation begrudgingly, with only occasional civil wars over whose market square is more austere. The lords of Kvatch, Skingrad and Chorrol don’t trust each other to lead, so the currently elected King Lutatis is the lord of….Glademist. I am from Cyrodiil myself and I’ve never heard of the place, but apparently it exists.

Lord Vipstan of the Imperial Hearlands claims that his government is the rightful government of the Second Empire of Man because he was elected by the Elder Council. This remnant of the old imperial court is mostly made up of the richest merchants of the Imperial City and the most powerful landlords of the fertile lowlands surrounding Lake Rumare. Their claim to mastery of Cyrodiil has taken a blow after they lost Cyrodiil Island to rioting cityfolk and had to flee to nearby Fort Grief.
Before the Plague the Imperial City was the most populated place in Tamriel and there was a lot of money to be made off those folks. Once the Flu hit though, things got real bad real fast. The people blamed the Council and ran them out of town, propped up some guy named Spartacus. After two years and the plague not going away they threw Spartacus off one of the walls and put a guy named Lamponius in charge. He lasted a full five years before they slit his throat. Guy named Darien is running it now, he might have a chance now that the Flu is gone.

The houses of Nibenay (of which my illustrious family are a notable member) are ruled Queen Selena The Second, who is famed for her friendliness and charm. Said charm is no doubt lost on the Khajiit, whose key city of Rimmen she has turned into her capital.

I have had the pleasure of knowing a few Argonians in my time (or Saxhleel if you want to be polite) and I know that they are immune to most poisonous and not a few diseases. Because of this I don’t think that their immunity to the Flu is proof of their guilt. Still, it must be said that the Kingdom of Helstrom has taken full advantage of this immunity. Spreading out from the center of the province, Helstrom has seized key cities like Gideon, Blackrose and Archon from the Dark Elves, Nibenese and Khajiit. Counter-raids against the slavers of Morrowind have become common and Dunmer heads decorate the gates of many towns.

The constant scheming and fighting among the great houses of Morrowind has only started up again recently. The Tribunal Temple banned such acts during the Flu, seeing as there was plenty of death going around anyways. The current Archcanon is a Dark Elf of little intelligence named Athis. The lords of the various houses I don’t particularly care about.

Skyrim is divided between two Nordic Kingdoms. King Torygg Stuhn rules over the Kingdom of Bruma, which covers the northern coast of Lake Rumare up through Pale Pass and southeastern Skyrim. He controls the key cities of Bruma and Riften, but chooses to hold court at Treva’s Watch. His opponent for the crown of Skyrim is Queen Grelka Yngvlar of Winterhold. If I were a betting man I’d put my Remans on her to take the hat. She controls all of the ports, the mage college at Winterhold and the silver mines at Markarth. She’s also got the pedigree: Grelka can trace her lineage back to one of the 500 Companions who came to Skyrim from their old homeland and beat the elves to poo poo. Nords love that sort of thing.

This concludes the General Diplomatic Report on the Condition of Tamriel. For further information on the political situation of the entire continent, please send a letter of inquiry to the office of the Chancellor.

No seriously, I don’t want to hear from anybody but the Queen, if you’re not the one paying me don’t come to my office asking for information about the current ruler of Volkihar island or whatever.

In her 29th year the Lady Lisette became Queen of Camlorn. Of the seven remaining members of the Renault dynasty that had survived the Knahaten Flu, Lady Lisette was the youngest and most capable and so was elected by the lords of the realm to take the place of her departed great-grandmother Faida. A masterful diplomat who had spent much of her childhood in Cyrodil, Queen Lisette was a shrewd and beautiful woman whose charm and tact were a welcome change after fifty years of rule by Queen Faida the First.

I have to admit, when I first met the Queen I was stunned. I had heard talk of her being a looker, but just assumed it was courtly rear end-kissery leaking out to the peasants. Instead I go to greet her and thank her for her offer of employment and I find her dressed in Nibenese silks and looking like Dibella herself. She wasn’t just a pretty face neither, only 15 minutes of conversation and by the end of it I’m feeling like I’m talking to an old friend from Leyawiin.

-Namaroy S.
4th of Sun’s Height 545

At the time of her Summer coronation the Queen was already the mother of two healthy sons: Hrol the eldest and Vicmond the younger. The Queen’s husband and father to these two children was Visellius Acilius, an Imperial whose family had served as Prefects of Fort Legion on Cyrodiil Island for two generations.

One of the Queen’s first acts was to move the court to Phrygias, to be closer to the center of her realm. In Phrygias Queen Lisette spent most of her early reign at home with her husband and children. While such matronly behavior is no doubt laudable and blessed by Mara, it makes writing an interesting chronicle difficult.

Phrygias is an interesting place. The term quaint comes to mind. So does “dull” and “manure-smelling”. The Queen asks for updates on her chronicles, I try to find new and interesting ways of writing “the Queen played with her children in the gardens and took walks with her husband in said gardens”. A couple of new inns have opened in town to make their money off of the courtiers, but the ale at both is poor and the company worse.

-Namaroy S.
6th of Last Seed 546

In the year 2E 547 the Queen Lisette the First joined the Elder Council as an observing member. While she did not recognize the authority of the Imperial Hearlands over her realm, she did recognize the existence of “An eternal and rightful concept of Empire” in her oath of office. What this perfectly vague phrase exactly means is lost on the author, but the diplomatic and economic connections this creates between Camlorn and Cyrodiil are not.

In the last month of Winter in 2E 248 a monument to those lost to the Knahaten Flu was raised in the town square of Phrygias. At the center of the grand runestone was the name of Agnete, Queen Lisette’s mother. All around the stone were carved the names of other victims, noble and commoner alike. A great many Camlornians came from across the realm to pay tribute and donate to the shrine of Stendarr and its healers. All who came praised the generosity and piety of the Queen.

I lost a lot of friends to the flu, everyone did, really.

I guess it’s just nice that the Queen seems to care.

-Namaroy S.
14th of Sun’s Dawn 548

In the years 2E 549 and 550 the Queen Lisette gave birth to two children: a third son, named Leo and a daughter, named Evelyn. Both were healthy and came without complication. That’s it, that’s really all that has happened in the past two years of any real note. The realm continues to recover from the Knahaten Flu slowly and here in Phrygias the Queen continues to have more children.

In 2E 551 the Yokudan warlord Namasur invaded the Island of Balfiera, claiming it as his right as the “Rightful King of High Rock”. This created something of a political panic among the lords of High Rock. Balfiera sits at the center of the Iliac Bay trade and, as home to the Adamantine Tower, is viewed as the symbolic heart of the region.

Queen Lisette sent letters to all the lords of High Rock, both her own vassals and those who remained independent, inviting them to an alliance to reclaim the island and throw the Yokudans out of High Rock. Most importantly, a betrothal between the Queen’s daughter Evelyn and the heir to the throne of Bhoriane was organized. This cemented an alliance between Camlorn and the largest independent realm in the region.

Well drat, looks like war is going to start before the year’s over. I don’t think Lisette is much of a general, but she knows how to get folks on her side and she’s got a fat warchest. If she can get the Reachman tribes to fight for her and can win before she runs out of money for mercenaries this war might be won. But those Yokudans don’t want to go and I’ve heard that there’s something like 10,000 warriors among them.

-Namaroy S.
17th of Frostfall 551

On the tenth day of Frost Fall a letter of demand was sent to King Namasur of High Rock at his court in Balfiera. Queen Lisette of Camlorn gave the Yokudan the remained of the month to indicate his plans to vacate the island or face open war with Camlorn. He refused to do so and when Sun’s Dusk came the Queen made a public declaration of war upon the tyrant. Bhoriane and the Reachman tribes of eastern Camlorn made their own declarations in support of the Queen and the Fighters Guild chapters of Cyrodiil and Skyrim signed contracts with Camlorn for a handsome fee. Come Spring the forces of Camlorn shall sally forth to take the Adamantine Tower back from the usurper.

Phrygias is stuffed almost to the point of exploding with soldiers and adventurers. The soldiers gamble and drink, the adventurers get into constant brawls and the tribesmen conduct strange rituals out in the forest. The knights simply grumble about waiting until Spring to relieve Wayrest, which is liable to fall before Winter ends. Lisette is smart to wait, though. These forces will need time to gather and train if they are to have any chance of defeating a veteran Yokudan army.

-Namaroy S.
12th of Morning Star 552

Near the end of First Seed the Army of All Bretons marched from Phrygias to retake Wayrest numbering eighty-two hundred. This included 250 mounted knights, 260 battlemages, three arch-battlemages which are apparently better in some way, 2,500 heavy infantry and 3,000 light infantry, along with attached skirmishers and auxiliaries.

Upon venturing south the Bretons found no sight of the main Yokudan army, only a small force which had been left to besiege Fort Firebrand. This was quickly dispatched with only 7 losses for the Bretons.

poo poo. poo poo poo poo poo poo. I never thought she’d send me to record the war. I’m supposed to “take detailed notes on the composition of forces”.

It’s been going fine so far, no sight of the massive hoard of bloodthirsty foreign invaders from across the sea just yet. But I’m not lucky, I’ve never been lucky. I’m going to die or be taken as a slave or eaten by cannibals before this is over.

Why couldn’t I have just stayed in Phrygias and written about babies for the rest of my life?

27th of Last Seed 552

Divines have mercy on this poor sinner the Yokudans have arrived. They’re trying to capture the Fort of Shinji’s Scarp up in the mountains before we can get to them. We’ve got the numbers advantage for now but Namasur is a strategic genius and has nearly twice as many battlemages. If he takes that fort that number difference may not be enough.

20th of Hearthfire 552

On the First day of Evening Star the Army of All Bretons met the Yokudans of King Namasur on the outskirts of Shinji’s Scarp, which they had been sieging for the past couple of months. With the Winter cold settling in the Yokudan mages had trouble using the fire spells they were familiar with, while the Breton mages wisely hurled spears of ice down on the light infantry of Namasur’s frontline during the skirmish.

Once the melee began the difference in the number of infantry began to show, forcing Namasur to try and turn the tide with his cavalry. The Yokudan Charger is a sleek, fast horse well suited to outflanking an opponent, but the Breton Knight Charger is bred specifically to carry heavy armored knights. While the Breton light cavalry blocked the Yokudan’s left flankers, the knights slammed into the right flankers and killed around 200 of them before the rest scattered. With them gone the knights continued onward, getting behind the Yokudan frontline and slaughtering skirmishers and mages with swords and maces.

Once the wizards were fleeing the infantry took flight as well and the signal was given for retreat. The light cavalry pursued for a time, before returning to camp. By which point I was drunk on victory and Cyrodiilic brandy so I cannot recall much more after that.

Within 6 hours of victory there was a Khajiit Caravan parked outside of the fort selling sleeping tree sap, skooma and alcohol. Nobody knows where they came from or how they knew we had won, they just showed up.

1st Evening Star 552

𝓘 𝓵𝓸𝓿 𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓼𝓼 𝓬𝓪𝓽𝓼 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝓪𝓶 𝓰𝓸𝓲𝓷 𝓽𝓸 𝓶𝓪𝓻𝓻𝔂 𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓶 𝓪𝓵𝓵. 𝓦𝓮𝓻 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓫𝓮𝓲𝓷 𝓶𝓪𝓻𝓻𝓲𝓮𝓭 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓴𝓲𝓽𝓽𝓮𝓷𝓼 𝓽𝓸𝓰𝓮𝓽 𝓱𝓮𝓻.

Two starr era fiv fiv too

The remainder of the year was spent sieging Balfiera Island, a long boring process that only got worse when I ran out of coin to buy drugs and alcohol with. This was interrupted by a little excitement when the remnants of the Yokudan army showed up near Firebrand to be beaten again. On the first anniversary of the victory at Shinji’s Scarp the fortress surrounding the Adamantine Tower fell to Breton forces.

[i] With his forces broken and his capital taken, King Namasur made the only choice he had and offered terms of peace. Balfiera was granted to the Queen of Camlorn and the Yokudans grip on southern High Rock was damaged, if not wholly broken yet. I shall look forward to returning to Phrygias soon.

I will burn this diary before I admit it to anyone, but the quiet town life has grown on me a bit. Certainly better than the insanity of war (although I do miss the drugs and exotic booze). The Queen plays with her children, throws Summer fairs and funds dances for the young bachelors and bachelorettes from the countryside. For all the boredom I think Camlorn really lucked out with her.

I spent 6 years squatting in guildhall, listening to the people dying and the undead patrolling the streets. If Lisette had been even one tenth of what her great grandma was I’d have welcomed the Yokudans. Instead Camlorn got a young Queen more interested in peace and pies than conquest and crowns.

And she still looks good, even as a plum 30-something.

- Namaroy S.
28th of Sun’s Height 556

Went to visit Lisette at the castle, her fever is getting better. The healer says it’s just a bit of a Winter sickness, nothing too unusual. She asks me what books I’ve been reading lately with that sly smile. I’m sure she knows I’m self-taught, I am only more convinced of this every time I meet with her.

- Namaroy S.
21st of Evening Star 556

I’m heading back to Camlorn to take a job with the Scribe’s Guild. They’ve been trying to rebuild the guild in the city for a few years now, but there’s a lack of qualified instructors. I have a letter of recommendation from the late Queen (which she had prepared for me without me knowing, of course) and there’s no real need for me here anymore. The next king can surely find a more qualified chronicler if he wants one.

I took one last walk in the castle gardens before packing up, there was a brief 3 hour period between rain showers today and all the young grass and evergreens were dripping. I doubt the capital will remain here for long, Phrygias is hardly the cultural heart of High Rock. But it was perfect for her.

- Namaroy S.
14th of Rain’s Hand, 2E 557

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
After the Vampire Queen of Malog Bal there was a need for Lisette. How nice!

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
Gonna miss the good queen and her furry chronicler. Lovely update!

SleuthDiplomacy
Sep 25, 2010
Aw man, too bad your game crashed suddenly. Weird, you never even found out what disease she had. Guess it's time to load up that last save, right?

...:(

EDIT: Wow, fuckin rude, death screen. Not cool.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

Reign of King Hrol I
8. The One and True King of High Rock

Professor Saaginia Glishca posted:

Fraeliene,

I want to first of all tell you not to be discouraged about your final. Professor Terrentius has a lot of pride for his homeland, which is likely why he authorized your trip up to Camlorn to research Namaroy Sibilius, despite your lack of experience. It should go without saying that first year students are almost never allowed to leave the Island for research, let alone the province!

So when you turned in your semester paper claiming that Sibilius was not a formally taught scholar, well you can perhaps understand his anger a bit. He went out on a limb for you because he knows you are a gifted writer and researcher and you said things which could be seen as insults to one of the most beloved Nibenese historians. I don’t believe that your intent was to “snatch a few minutes of controversy-fed fame by besmirching a proud son of Nibenay” as Professor Terrentius said in the heat of the moment. Nor do I think he believes that either, but for the remainder of the year I’ll be the one handling your portfolio. You’ll have plenty of chances to do some deep research once you are a graduate of the program, but for now let’s stick to a more standard first-year term paper.

Since there isn’t a lot of time left, I am going to strongly suggest that you do it on Hrol the Eagle. I know it’s well trod ground but you don’t have the luxury of months to gather information. To help you out I’ve included with this letter a copy of The Eagle’s Rain by Joslynn Imbefort. It’s a great secondary source.

Take care and stay out of trouble,

-Saaginia Glishca, Professor of History at the Arcane University

At the age of ten the young Prince Hrol of Camlorn was entrusted to the care of Baron Devin Ysciele of Koegria and Wrothgaria. The Baron held a great many titles in Camlorn, including marshal and Master of the Sword, titles which were well-earned for his services as a commander to the late Queen Faida in his late 20s and early 30s.

The son of a Breton-Redguard marriage, Baron Devin spent his youth restlessly. For a time he was a member of the Fighter’s Guild of High Rock, before moving in with an Orc clan somewhere in the valleys of the Wrothgar Mountains. What he did out there is lost to us, but when his father died he returned to his father’s court in brazen fashion. One account writes that he “arrived seated upon a massive sabre-cat, uncountable skulls dangling from his saddle and a number more scars decorating his broad chest which he left naked save for a cape in the manner of a Nord or Orc.” It is perhaps little wonder that the child left under this man’s tutelage would go on to become the greatest knight in High Rock’s history.

When Queen Lisette the First died suddenly in 2E 557 King Hrol was two years from his majority. The realm was therefore managed by his father Visellius, whose talent for administration saw to it that Hrol would be crowned without issue or concern for instability.

In 2E 558 King Hrol was crowned as King of Camlorn and his betrothed, Queen Ciceri Mede, arrived by boat in Phrygias shortly thereafter. The daughter of the powerful Count Paratus of Chorrol in the Colovian Estates, her marriage to the King continued the trend of Camlornian rulers marrying Cyrodiilics.

Two major issues faced King Hrol early on in his reign. The first was the Adamantine Revolt which occurred in 2E 558 near the end of Summer. The Altmer of Balfiera Island had lived on the island for thousands of years, stretching back to the first elven settlers of mainland Tamriel. At the height of their power the Aldmer Direnni clan had ruled a kingdom which covered nearly a quarter of Tamriel’s landmass, with Balfiera as their capital. Over time this empire shrank, until the fortress island of Balfiera stood alone against the influx of humans.

After the island was taken by King Namasur of Yokudan Daggerfall, many Altmer had petitioned the powerful Queen of Camlorn for aid in liberating their home. In 2E 554 this help came, but the Bretons didn’t leave after chasing the Yokudans out. Assurances given by representatives of the late Queen that the island would be granted independence vanished once the island fortresses had been stormed. Volunteer Altmer soldiers who had fought to retake their homes were given a small sum of Remans and then disarmed.

All of this, combined with the behavior of knights who had been stationed on the island, created a heated environment that boiled over into a series of riots in the heat of Last Seed. Thousands of peasants, artisans and fishermen rose up, led by a radical priest of Auri-El named Galalrimon. The Camlornian army, reinforced by members of the High Rock Fighter’s Guild, put the rebellion down early in 2E 559. The Altmer of Balfiera would remain an issue of concern for some time, however.

The second issue of note was King Namasur of Yokudan Daggerfall. While Queen Faida’s capture of Balfiera had done much to weaken the aura of invincibility the invader had enjoyed after conquering Daggerfall, he still claimed to be the rightful king of all High Rock. A war between Camlorn and Yokudan Daggerfall was inevitable, so King Hrol prepared in two ways.

First he prevented Namasur from allying with Hammerfell by negotiating an agreement of non-aggression with High King Kharbeff. Queen Ciceri did much to achieve this through her diplomatic visits to Hammerfell. Secondly, Hrol sent court officials and spies throughout Daggerfall to sow discontent among the minor Breton nobility. It was not hard to convince many that the rightful high king of the Bretons was Hrol, not Namasur.

As preparations for war were underway, King Hrol busied himself training with the Fighter’s Guild. With sword and lance Hrol dispatched all manner of beasts and brigands, earning him a reputation as quite a gallant knight.

Namasur, meanwhile, faced a series of religious revolts from Bretons faithful to the Eight Divines. His veteran Yokudan forces put these down with ease, but the shakiness of his rule was beginning to show. Still, Hrol watched and waited for his chance and it came in 2E 566. Perhaps trying to recover his invincible reputation, King Namasur declared war on the Jarl of Winterhold over portions of the county of Northpoint. Hrol immediately sent riders to watch the coast of Northern High Rock.

When the main army of Namasur was sighted heading east at Farrun Hrol knew it was time to strike. On the 9th of Hearthfire he declared war upon Namasur, claiming much of the Iliac Bay was rightfully his.

Hrol gathered a force of 6500 and spent Winter and Spring capturing much of Southern Daggerfall without any sight of Namasur. In Midyear the Yokudan army, more than half its number dead from fighting in Skyrim, returned to a realm in flames. Multiple rebellions had broken out following the arrival of King Hrol, which Namasur struggled to put down before facing the Breton King.

In late Fall Namasur’s capital fell, prompting the Yokudan to at last deal with Hrol. His army marched to Bhoriane and invested the city, hoping to capture it and interrupt Hrol’s supply lines. It was outside of the city that the Camlornian army attacked Namasur, it’s battlemages and heavy cavalry tearing massive holes in the Yokudan line and sending them into retreat to the south.

The Bretons pursued Namasur south to Dourstone, where another victory convinced Namasur to offer terms of surrender. On the 5th of Hearthfire the war ended and Hrol moved his court to Balfiera Island to be closer to the center of High Rock in preparation for eventually declaring himself High King of the Bretons.

Namasur, meanwhile, could only watch as his rump state fell to rebellions and chaos.

As Hrol’s forces trained and prepared for the next war, the King himself traveled all across his realm with sword and lance. Stories of his bravery, chivalry and strength spread far and wide.

Wanderers and heroes from all over Tamriel traveled to join his court at Balfiera Island. Many of these would later form the Knights of the Adamantine Tower which served as the king’s personal guard in his eastern campaigns.

(Why yes that is indeed a stubborn, suspicious, trusting, devious, bisexual master healer Khajiit who trained to be a spy that just became Hrol’s court physician.)

Plans for war with Namasur had to be sped up in 2E 570, when the news came that High King Kharbeff of Hammerfell had declared war on the Yokudan King. The non-aggression pact signed between Kharbeff and Hrol had been Hrol’s way of ensuring that Kharbeff would not interfere with his campaign to claim the throne of High Rock. Now Kharbeff, at the urging of his marshal, intended to do the same.

King Hrol quickly gathered a force at Balfiera and surrounding areas, not waiting for all of his forces to arrive before going on the offensive against Namasur. Allowing Kharbeff to gain even a single foothold in Western High Rock would make claiming the crown difficult. At Glenumbra Moors Breton heavy knights once more proved their worth, flanking the Yokudans and slaughtering their mages almost to a man. With them on the run Hrol proceeded quickly to the Isle of Betony, where Namasur had moved his court after the loss of Daggerfall. Reinforcements trickled in as the siege continued.

The walls of Skyspire Keep, carved from the very cliffs by Reman the Second, held out against Hrol for 4 months before food ran short and the inhabitants were forced to open the gates. Hrol took both of Namasur’s wives and many of his children captive and invited the would-be king to parlay on the beach of Betony, under the shadow of Skyspire Keep.

Namasur came, with a small honorguard of veteran Yokudan warriors and little else. Though proud and unbroken, the foreign king knew he was without the men, coin, land or magicka to retain his throne in the face of mighty Hrol. When Hrol offered to allow Namasur to remain the baron of Betony in exchange for recognizing him as ”The One and True King of High Rock” he accepted and the war came to a close.

Those Breton realms which had broken free from Namasur’s rule quickly swore their allegiance as well. On the last day of Frostfall Hrol the First, known throughout Tamriel as “Hrol the Eagle”, born of House Renault, was crowned High King of High Rock in a ceremony on Balfiera Island. Under the glistening Adamantine Tower a crown of gold and adamantium, depicting an eagle ascendant over the ancient structure, was placed upon the head of High King Hrol.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
The usurper is gone, long live the king!

Are we still Nord by the way? Or have we become Breton since?

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

Luhood posted:

The usurper is gone, long live the king!

Are we still Nord by the way? Or have we become Breton since?

Culturally Hrol is Breton, his physical appearance and racial trait is Imperial and his name is Nordic. Children of mixed-race marriages have a 50/50 chance of which one they get, that red circle with a sort of Italian-looking face in it means Hrol is Imperial (if he were racially Nord it'd be a man with long blond hair and face paint).

Clayren fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 30, 2019

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

quote:

Sleeping Tree Sap

Ummm :actually: I think you'll find that this is ahistorical! The Sleeping Tree won't exist until 4E 40 when a strain of mutant Hist falls from the Infernal City Umbriel and plants itself near Whiterun. Some scholar you are and furthermore HLGAHGHAGHLGUGAGHAGH!!!1

So anyway let's talk about Orcs. Orcs were included with the beast races during an earlier update, but this is just period appropriate racism. Orcs are yet another type of elf. Specifically they were Aldmer followers of Trinimac, who was one of their god/heroes. He was assaulted by one of (or possibly two of) the Daedric princes and transformed into Malacath, Daerdric Prince of the Scorned. His followers were similarly transformed and became the Orsimer, The Pariah Folk.

Now owing your patronage to a dude who's sphere is The Outcast means the deck is kind of stacked against you narratively. As we saw a bit of, the Orcs are constantly trying to form a nation in the Wrothgarian mountains (between Highrock, Skyrim and Hammerfell) and just as constantly being beat the gently caress down. The attempt with the most long lasting repercussion was by Gortwog gro-Nagorm in 3E 399. He managed to get full Imperial citizenship for the Orcs so at least they won't be killed on sight trying to enter a city. (This was one of the mutually exclusive endings of Daggerfall which all happened simultaneously due to Time/Dragon/Dragon of Time related shenanigans. Also why you can play as an Orc starting with Morrowind.) As for the version of Orisnium he created, it was sacked after the end of the the 3rd Era, again.

I liek Orcs.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

7c Nickel posted:

Ummm :actually: I think you'll find that this is ahistorical! The Sleeping Tree won't exist until 4E 40 when a strain of mutant Hist falls from the Infernal City Umbriel and plants itself near Whiterun. Some scholar you are and furthermore HLGAHGHAGHLGUGAGHAGH!!!1

So anyway let's talk about Orcs. Orcs were included with the beast races during an earlier update, but this is just period appropriate racism. Orcs are yet another type of elf. Specifically they were Aldmer followers of Trinimac, who was one of their god/heroes. He was assaulted by one of (or possibly two of) the Daedric princes and transformed into Malacath, Daerdric Prince of the Scorned. His followers were similarly transformed and became the Orsimer, The Pariah Folk.

Now owing your patronage to a dude who's sphere is The Outcast means the deck is kind of stacked against you narratively. As we saw a bit of, the Orcs are constantly trying to form a nation in the Wrothgarian mountains (between Highrock, Skyrim and Hammerfell) and just as constantly being beat the gently caress down. The attempt with the most long lasting repercussion was by Gortwog gro-Nagorm in 3E 399. He managed to get full Imperial citizenship for the Orcs so at least they won't be killed on sight trying to enter a city. (This was one of the mutually exclusive endings of Daggerfall which all happened simultaneously due to Time/Dragon/Dragon of Time related shenanigans. Also why you can play as an Orc starting with Morrowind.) As for the version of Orisnium he created, it was sacked after the end of the the 3rd Era, again.

I liek Orcs.

Orcs are hard to play in Elder Kings because their Code of Malacath government type and their religion both penalize them for not being at war or raiding 24/7. Also, be prepared to be challenged to duels for your crown by all of your male relatives. The description of their unique government type is

Malacath posted:

Orcish government is fundamentally similar to feudal government, with chieftains who rule from strongholds and maintain vassals. However, there are many influences from the Code of Malacath that set this system apart. Only males may inherit titles, and may keep multiple wives. They also rule for life, with the eldest or most powerful son inheriting, but can be (and frequently are) challenged by offspring, relatives or vassals who may slay them in personal combat for their titles. The laws of the land are determined solely by the ruler, not by vote, but can only be changed if the ruler is prestigious and respected. Since Orcish rulers follow only the Code of Malacath, their personal whims and the rules laid down by their overlords, they ignore the laws set by outlander governments--even if one of those is their liege.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Ok for those of who don't actually play the game and know what the little symbols or how to read a character card, just how badass is King Hrol? Like what's a personal combat level mean and how high is his?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Ok for those of who don't actually play the game and know what the little symbols or how to read a character card, just how badass is King Hrol? Like what's a personal combat level mean and how high is his?

The Elder Kings really inflates the personal combat numbers. But, around 60 means that you are a pretty darn good fighter who can reliably cut down professional tough guys, and 90+ is the badass zone where you will (almost) always cut down lesser fighters in a duel.

The martial score of 29 means that Hrol is also a brilliant battlefield commander. It's a once-in-a-generation kind of score in the base game, although in both CK2 and especially in The Elder Kings, you can get truly legendary characters that reach the 40s if the stars align.

Hrol is awesome, and utterly unaccustomed to dealing with problems that can't be solved on the open battlefield, and will probably meet his end through assassination instead of in war.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
I thought orcs were supposed to be the most sexually egalitarian of the races since they recognised strength and merit above all else. I'm sure I remember reading that in a book... Could have been a book that was in a mod though. I thought that was the reason why the Imperials liked them and recognised them as non-beasts. I kind of liked that about them, it kind of twisted the whole 'brutish orc' thing. Did that change between Morrowind and the later games, or did I just download too may hammy book mods? :(

Despite being an Imperial, this guy seems like the epitome of being a Breton.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
You're probably thinking of

quote:

Most Imperial citizens regard Orc society as rough and cruel, but there is much to admire in their fierce tribal loyalties and generous equality of rank and respect among the sexes.

Which is pretty vague. If only Men can be Warchiefs but he needs the support of the Wisewoman and Forgewife to rule does that count? This also only applies to Orcs living the traditional Stronghold life. Like right now the LP's empire includes a lot of orc citizens (even though it might be a bit ahistoric).

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
That's definitely what I was thinking of, wow. Can't believe you gathered that from my hazy memories. I guess I just read inbetween the lines and treated my interpretation as lore.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Clayren posted:

Wanderers and heroes from all over Tamriel traveled to join his court at Balfiera Island. Many of these would later form the Knights of the Adamantine Tower which served as the king’s personal guard in his eastern campaigns.

(Why yes that is indeed a stubborn, suspicious, trusting, devious, bisexual master healer Khajiit who trained to be a spy that just became Hrol’s court physician.)

I suppose it's only ironic that the giant, talking cat is suggesting we eat a dead bird to help cure what ails us...

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

evilmiera posted:

That isn't even a joke, given what actually went down.
To wit:

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

Chatrapati posted:

I thought orcs were supposed to be the most sexually egalitarian of the races since they recognised strength and merit above all else. I'm sure I remember reading that in a book... Could have been a book that was in a mod though. I thought that was the reason why the Imperials liked them and recognised them as non-beasts. I kind of liked that about them, it kind of twisted the whole 'brutish orc' thing. Did that change between Morrowind and the later games, or did I just download too may hammy book mods? :(

Despite being an Imperial, this guy seems like the epitome of being a Breton.

Keep in mind that one of the constant experiences of Orc culture is the repeated destruction of Orsinium. Every time a group of Orcs has gotten together to build a city and a nation (the stuff humans and elves claim make a race "civilized") of their own, it was eventually destroyed by humans. Almost immediately after Savirien-Chorak died the second Orsinium was destroyed, likely causing the survivors to revert to a more guarded, defensive sort of society (as seen in the Orc strongholds of Skyrim).

During the Third Era, starting in 399, the Orcs enjoyed a period of peaceful coexistence with their neighbors and came close to having their region of the Wrothgar mountains recognized as an imperial province. The sort of society the Orcs lived in during the period covered by Morrowind and Oblivion was very possibly more ordered and egalitarian, reflecting the status of Orcs as imperial citizens with all the rights and protections that grants. Unfortunately, after the Oblivion crisis and the end of the Septim Dynasty Orsinium was again destroyed, hence all the Orc strongholds that dot Skyrim, walled citadels that do not invite outsiders and are organized in a very clannish way.

There's a sort of cycle we can see in all this. When Tamriel is ruled by some centralized power the Orcs, whose population is never very large, prosper and contribute. When that empire or power falls, the Orcs human neighbors undertake a genocidal campaign and the Orcs fall back to isolated armed camps, far from human settlements. This might reflect the two gods of the Orsimer: Trinimac the mighty champion of the elven pantheon and Malacath, the spurned outcast.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's another one of those threads that you really wish Bethesda would tug at instead of Demon invasions or Dragons.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

Reign of King Hrol I
9. The Southern Campaigns

Following the unification of High Rock in 2E 581 King Hrol the First undertook a broad program of reorganization for the realm. The Kingdom of Camlorn had been a mess of baronies, priories and city states. These were replaced with a system of duchies and republics. These included the Dukedom of Wrothgaria, which was granted to Hrol’s old friend and teacher Devin Ysciele, and the Magnificent Republic of Daggerfall.

Also of note was the changing of the Renault family heraldry, which had long been an image of the keep of Camlorn burning in celebration of King Leo I’s rebellion. As the first ruler of a unified High Rock in nearly 3,000 years King Hrol’s fame had quickly overshadowed that of his dynasty’s founder. Known far and wide as Hrol the Eagle, the High King officially changed the Renault crest into that of a gold eagle sejant regardant, atop a checker of white and sea green.

Hrol oversaw many projects to reform the army, borrowing much from Colovian legionary tactics to make the heavy infantry of High Rock a force to be reckoned with. The reigns of Sebastien I, Leo II and Faida I were eastward focused, with expansion into the Western Reach and royal marriages with major houses in Skyrim. Lisette I and Hrol I both married into powerful Cyrodiilic families, as also nearly did Hrol’s firstborn son and heir Prince Leo. Cyrodiilic influences on the military and culture of High Rock under King Hrol were strong, although there is no doubt Hrol was a true Breton through and through. His founding of a knightly order on Balfiera Island surely shows this.

The death of High King Kharbeff in 2E 584 meant an end to the non-aggression pact between Hammerfell and High Rock. The duchies of Evermore and Dunkarn were historically considered part of High Rock, but had been controlled by Hammerfell for a couple of generations. Racial animosity among Bretons was at an all time high following the Adamantine Revolt and the Yokudan wars and Hrol had little trouble convincing the nobility to back a war for Evermore.

A Yokudan peasant revolt in Northmoor which erupted in response to this declaration of war was quickly put down and only fuelled revanchism among the Breton population.

King Hrol’s army, with its disciplined heavy infantry, deadly battlemages and Breton knights, scored an easy victory outside the town of Wind Keep in 2E 585. Hrol was prevented from pursuing the defeated Redguards by the need to put down a second Yokudan revolt in Northmoor.

Hrol returned the next year and scored two victories at Bangkorai Pass in Rain’s Hand and Midyear. In the second of the pair Hrol the Eagle charged his Knights of the Adamantine Tower directly into a barrage of spells and slaughtered the Redguard mages to a man, suffering only a single casualty among his loyal riders.

With the fortress at Bangkorai Pass captured Hrol moved on to Azra’s Crossing, which fell soon enough. By 2E 587 the Hammerfell capital of Heldorn Mount was captured and the family of High King Verro only narrowly escaped to Skaven. Without an army to oppose him the roads to both Skaven and Dragonstar laid open to High King Hrol. Rather than see those key cities sacked Verro offered terms of surrender and returned Evermore to High Rock.

The ”Liberation of Evermore” did much to cement Hrol’s status as a beloved knight in the eyes of the Breton people, but also revealed weaknesses in the new High Kingdom. Yokudan rebellions during the war reminded many of the Adamantine Revolt and raised fears that the majority Altmer population of the capital were a potential threat to the court. Preparations for what the Altmer now refer to as the ”Sorrow of the Dirennis” began shortly after the completion of the war for Evermore.

On the 2nd day of Sun’s Height, 2E 591 a proclamation was read out by 60 criers stationed throughout the neighborhoods of Balfiera. All Altmer were to leave the island by the 1st of Sun’s Dusk or face removal by the force of 5,000 armed soldiers which had been arriving at Balfiera for over a year. With only 4 months to act only a sliver of the population was able to arrange passage to Valenwood or the Summerset Isles.

The rest were gathered in door-to-door searches on the first of Sun’s Dusk as promised, but the court had underestimated the sheer size of the Altmer population and more boats had to be requisitioned from the merchants and fishermen of Daggerfall. For 15 days the Altmer of Balfiera were kept in hastily built camps before being loaded aboard ships bound for Sentinel.

At Sentinel the Altmer were dumped outside the walls of the city, the government of which was none too pleased. After the first few hundred elves wandered through the gate the city ordered the gates shut and demanded the refugees leave. While a few poor souls complied and trekked along the coast, skirting the Alik’r desert as best they could, most stayed and pleaded for mercy. Eventually the governor allowed the Altmer to come into the city in small groups to sell the few possessions they had managed to bring with them for boat fare to somewhere else. The merchants of the city took full advantage and snatched up a fortune in heirlooms and magical items. Some were taken to the Summerset Isles, where the government was sympathetic, but suspicious of “impure” Altmer from the mainland coming to live permanently. Most had better luck in Valenwood, especially in the cities of Haven and Southpoint where whole neighborhoods of Direnni Altmer can still be found. Still others accepted passage aboard Dunmer trade ships, only to find themselves as slaves in Morrowind.

Hrol, meanwhile, sought to repopulate the island through offers of free houses and well paying jobs. Many Imperials from Cyrodiil Island immigrated, fleeing the continuing unrest in the great city following its independence from the Kingdom of the Heartlands. A great many Orcs migrated to the island as well, attracted by calls for blacksmiths and armorers. Most were young orcs looking to earn some coin and hone their skills before returning to their clans to marry or challenge their father for control of the clan, but some moved in permanently.

Hrol split his time after the war for Evermore between micromanaging the training of his knights, questing throughout the realm and holding tournaments and feasts for the nobility. To the Bretons his status as a hero was unquestionable.

Tragedy struck in 2E 594, when Prince Leo died abruptly at age 26 to Cancer. Raised from birth to be King Hrol’s heir, his death left the succession of High Rock in question.

It perhaps says something about the kind of man Hrol the Eagle was that he did not dwell long on the death of his only son. Instead he was preparing for what was to be the last what historians have called his “Southern Campaigns”. Dunkarn dukedom in the Western Reach remained to be retaken for High Rock and the chance to do so came in 2E 595. With High King Mivan, son of the late Kharbeff, busy invading Skyrim via Sunderstone Gorge Hrol would havy plenty of time to gather his own forces and begin taking holdings in Dunkarn.

At Wayrest High King Hrol gathered a force of 11000 soldiers, of which a full 3500 were Colovian legion-style heavy infantry. Traditional Breton armies of light spear infantry and longbowmen backing heavy knights were, by this point, mostly phased out in favor of a hybrid Colovian-Breton composition which Hrol had pioneered.

The forces of Hammerfell had not been blind to the successes of Hrol, and fielded a far larger number of heavy infantry of their own. The two forces met near the small settlement of Northglen, where the inferior Redguard force took position atop a low hill with cliffs on three sides.

The terrain afforded the Redguards an advantage in the skirmish and Bretons lost a good number of archers and battlemages before the sheer number of spells being flung at the cliffside caused a number of rockslides. Breton heavy sword infantry, their shields up and in close formation, stormed up these rocky pathways and engaged the Redguard skirmishers before all of them could fully pull back, forcing the Redguard frontline to engage them in order to save their skirmishers.

As the frontlines engaged atop the cliffs, the Breton knights and light cavalry were blocked from flanking the Redguard army by a force of 1250 light cavalry and even a number of mercenary heavy cavalry. In the running melee that occurred the heavy cavalry advantage of the Bretons proved decisive and Hrol led a charge into the flank of the Redguard line just as it was beginning to collapse at the hands of his heavy infantry.

With cliffs on both sides, infantry before them and cavalry behind them many of the Redguards chose to jump from cliffs in hopes of surviving the fall. Many did, albeit with broken legs or arms that prevented them from retreating quickly enough to escape the High Rock light cavalry. Of the 9500 men who had fortified the Northglen settlement, only 2500 escaped with their lives.

2E 596 the Hammerfell capital of Heldorn Mount was captured, along with two of High King Mivan’s children.

Mivan, whose forces had fled west into Hammerfell, regrouped his forces and set siege to Bjoulsae. His hope was to capture the city and force Hrol to head west, which would allow Mivan to circle around the mountains and retake Mivan. Hrol’s force was too fast, however and the battle outside Bjoulsae nearly wiped out the Redguard skirmishers and mages.

High King Mivan was convinced after this second battle that he no longer had a path to victory and surrendered Dunkarn to High Rock. With this all of High Rock, with the small exception of the Barony of Orlais, was united under High King Hrol the Eagle. With his southern border secured, Hrol began to turn his attention elsewhere.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Long live King Hrol, the Eagle of High Rock!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

The Altmer around the Adamantium Tower basically getting replaced with Orcs is pretty funny.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
It wouldn't be a proper Elder Scrolls story without some mild ethnic cleansing going on somewhere.

But now all these formally opposed Orcs have their very own island to call home. But I don't know if Malacath would approve of them just being handed something.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

Psychotic Weasel posted:

It wouldn't be a proper Elder Scrolls story without some mild ethnic cleansing going on somewhere.

But now all these formally opposed Orcs have their very own island to call home. But I don't know if Malacath would approve of them just being handed something.

Well not quite, there are a few hundred living in the county, but it's majority Breton. There's likely a sort of "Orc Town" neighborhood with statues of Malacath and restaurants that serve mammoth steaks to tourists.

If you look at the picture:

you'll notice that there are three options. There are three "levels" of culture changing available in the mod: straight up violent genocide (quickest, but likely to spawn a huge uprising), forced removal (medium option, slower but less likely to cause an uprising) and slow integration through forced abandonment of their culture (slowest, but less likely to spawn rebellions). You'll see that only two of the above options are available because the laws of High Rock at that time did not allow straight up genocide by way of extermination. Like all realm laws this can be changed, either to allow all types of genocide or to only allow the forced integration.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

Reign of King Hrol I
10. The Eastern Campaigns

After the death of King Hrol’s only son and heir Prince Leo in 2E 294, Princess Marelle was his only remaining child and heir. The young princess did not have anywhere near the popularity of Prince Leo among the nobility of the realm and many instead supported the claim of Leo’s sister Claudette. By 598 the Kingdom of Anvil, of which she was the queen mother, was a rump state surrounded by the Colovian Estates. However, Claudette was a crafty diplomat and made deals with the Yokudan and Reachman nobility, the Orsimer tribes and Altmer exiles who had reason to dislike King Hrol.

Even with this support Claudette’s coalition was shaky and would likely have fallen apart once Princess Marelle reached her majority. In order to make sure this did not happen Queen Mother Claudette plotted to assassinate the young princess, but her plot was discovered by Hrol’s intelligence network and one of the key plotters was uncovered: Namasur the Second, son of the former “king” of High Rock.

Namasur II had been promised control of Daggerfall and a proclamation of toleration for his people and their faith by Claudette. Following the Sorrow of the Dirennis and the reconquest of Dunkarn and Evermore King Hrol has gained a reputation as a great crusader and many of the Yokudans who had come with Namasur I feared a similar purge was inevitable. So when officials of the court arrived on the island of Betony in 2E 600 to bring Namasur II to trial he had them executed and declared a revolt against his liege.

The rebellion lasted less than a year and Namasur II was banished from High Rock. He returned to his father’s homeland in the islands of Yokuda and Betony was granted to the Republic of Daggerfall.

With their main leader gone the Yokudans in High Rock backed out of their deals with Claudette and her fragile coalition unraveled. She died only a year later after eating a spoiled apple and contracting a very rapid strain of food poisoning.

Following the marriage of his sister Princess Naissa to Prince Willet of Hammerfell, Hrol the Eagle turned his attention away from the southern kingdom and east, towards Skyrim. The early 600’s saw a number of civil wars and border conflicts hit Winterhold, leaving the realm vulnerable to an invasion by King Hrol, who sought to take control of two key passages. The southern county of Volskygge held the main mountain pass between the Western Reach and the silver-rich Eastern Reach, while the old imperial fort of Northwatch Keep controlled the pass between High Rock and Haafingar, home to the wealthy port of Solitude. Both passages would be key for future campaigns in Skyrim.

At Farrun Hrol gathered 13,000 soldiers, including 4,300 heavy infantry drilled in the Colovian manner. Northwatch fell before the end of the Summer, providing Hrol with a place to wait out the brutal Skyrim Winter.

A Winterhold army numbering some 5,000 arrived in the Reach before the end of Fall. This was dispatched by Hrol before his forces returned to Northwatch for the WInter.

Further Nordic forces arrived with the coming of Spring in 2E 604. These forces were small and failed to coordinate their movements, allowing King Hrol to defeat each individually at Ustenhall, Jallenheim and Hraggstad.

In 2E 605 the Jarl of Winterhold negotiated peace with King Hrol, granting him control of Fort Northwatch and Volskygge. These were granted to a local Nordic priest, who was tasked with converting the local Reachmen.

With this done Hrol had clear paths to the wealth of Western Skyrim and busied himself preparing for this future conflict. In Balfiera new barracks were built and monuments were erected in great numbers.

In 2E 606 Queen Ciceri of High Rock and Baroness of Irmgard passed on from old age. King Hrol remarried later that year to a relative of the Duke of Leyawiin, Leonara Alfena, who would bear him many children.

The year ended on something of a strange note, with news of the death of the oldest known elf in Nirn. Orgnum the deathless king died, succumbing to wounds received while putting down a peasant revolt.

607 saw a short conflict erupt when one of the daughters of the late Namasur I arrived outside of Wayrest with an army of Yokudan adventurers to press her claim.

It ended quickly with her defeat and subsequent death in the dungeons of Balfiera.

In 611 Mara blessed King Hrol and Queen Leonara with a healthy son, who was named Hrol for his father.

The years that followed had few events of note. The Mages Guild officially banned necromancy in 612, renovations of the old Direnni forts lining the shores of Balfiera were completed in 613 and a second son, named Leo, was born to King Hrol. Meanwhile, the king continued to reform the legal code of High Rock to increase his access to fighting aged men to fill his ranks.

After years of preparation King Hrol the Eagle made clear his plans to seize the province of Haafingar in 2E 616, citing the inability of the Jarl of Winterhold to keep the trade routes through the Sea of Ghosts clear of pirate activity. At Farrun the forces of High Rock gathered for a second campaign in the east.

Throughout the Winter of 616 Hrol besieged the province, facing only minor resistance. Most of the Winterhold army stayed away, not daring to test its logistical capabilities against the frigid Skyrim Winter. With the arrival of Spring came the capture of Solitude, the jewel of western Skyrim.

Spring also brought disease, with an outbreak of the Crimson Plague appearing in Dragon Bridge and quickly spreading to Solitude. Rather than remain in the region and continue sieging holdings King Hrol gathered most of his force and departed via ship for the city of Winterhold, while a token force remained behind in Northwatch to maintain the occupation of Haafingar.

In late Winter of 2E 618 the High Rock navy arrived off the coast of Winterhold, which held out against Hrol for only two months.

Among the courtiers captured from the palace at Winterhold were the husband and heir of Queen Clarisse of Winterhold. With the Queen far away leading her troops in an attempt to recapture Solitude it took several months for news of this to reach her, but when it did she offered terms of peace recognizing his rule over Haafingar.

The king granted some of these lands to his loyal commanders, a practice he was known for and to which a great number of noble houses today can trace their lineage. But the city of Solitude and much of the coastline were placed under the control of the merchants of the city, who were organized in much the same manner as the Republic of Daggerfall.

The third of Hrol’s eastern campaigns was nominally declared in order to purge the Eastern Reach of the influence of the horrific Hagravens, which some Reachmen worshipped. In truth the war was almost certainly declared in 2E 621 to provide a route for later invasion of the city of Markarth and the mineral wealth of the Eastern Reach.

The Reachman tribes rallied behind the ancient crone Pecua, creating a combined force of 6,600 tribesmen. A great number of Hagravens, undead briarhearted shamans and other beasts were counted among these forces. At Ravenscar Hollow King Hrol faced these forces and scored a major victory, killing most of their Hagraven allies and forcing the rest to flee into nearby caves.

The cave of the Great Crone herself was captured shortly thereafter and she and her cultists were forced to hide somewhere in the rocky landscape of the Reach. The Northern Karth River was now firmly under Hrol’s control, leaving the path to Markarth open.

The war for the Eastern Reach began in 2E 628 with the marshalling of a force of 17,000 soldiers at Balfiera.

The harsh terrain and climate of the Reach did much to diminish these numbers, but Hrol nonetheless scored a victory of the armies of Winterhold in the high hills of Haafingar. While the lords of Skyrim brought a great number of heavy and light infantry to the battle, their Nordic distrust of magic meant that they brought only a token force of battlemages. These were beaten back in the skirmish and the Bretons hurled ice and fire down upon their frontlines, softening them up for the charge of the well-drilled High Rock heavy infantry.

Markarth fell in 2E 629 and the Queen of Winterhold for the third time in her life surrendered a portion of Skyrim to the control of King Hrol the Eagle. He in turn granted the land to his eldest son Hrol, who took up residence in the ancient Dwemer city of Markarth. Old King Hrol had not even finished this fourth eastern campaign when he began to plot his fifth, drawing up plans to invade Falkreath Hold and open up a corridor for the invasion of the Colovian Estates.

But alas the plans of men are nothing to the cycles of Arkay. On the 9th day of Frostfall in the year 631 of the Second Era the mighty conqueror of High Rock and western Skyrim went to his bed after a long evening of military planning and did not rise from it again. He had taken the throne at the age of 14 and ruled for 75 years, during that time he was at war more often that at peace and from the chaos of the Second Era he carved out a kingdom of tremendous power and size.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I absolutely love characters like this. They take the throne as just absolutely unassuming, boring looking people, and just flip everything about that impression and the whole region on its head.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Why'd Leo get the throne? I thought the princess was the heir?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Hah, I just found out that sometimes a character in Elder Kings can be discovered to be Dragonborn. There is a massive boost to this chance if the character is in prison.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

PetraCore posted:

Why'd Leo get the throne? I thought the princess was the heir?

She inherited her mother's title and became a baron and wasn't as popular as a random uncle, so it was either hand the crown to him or pick a child who was more well-liked by the nobles. Leo's got lots of good traits that made him a popular guy.

7c Nickel posted:

Hah, I just found out that sometimes a character in Elder Kings can be discovered to be Dragonborn. There is a massive boost to this chance if the character is in prison.

There is almost always a dragonborn somewhere in the world, but only just the one. There are a whole bunch of mechanics that involve being a dragonborn and I'll make sure to show them off when it's appropriate.

ShootaBoy posted:

I absolutely love characters like this. They take the throne as just absolutely unassuming, boring looking people, and just flip everything about that impression and the whole region on its head.

Ubermensch rulers are cool, but a little boring to read about in my opinion. Leo the Third had some interesting things pop up that gives him a nice little character arc, but that'll be after the next lore and mechanics update because we're going to need to know a little about the Nords now that we've started invading Skyrim.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

Mechanics and Lore Interlude 3: Realm Laws and the Nords of Skyrim

For this interlude we’re first going to be looking at the laws available to rulers in Elder Kings and how they differ from those found in the base game.

There are four types of laws in Crusader Kings 2: inheritance, realm, obligations and council. To help us understand these we’ll be using this fellow, Grandmaster Omin of the Great House Dres of Morrowind.

Inheritance laws decide how and who will inherit a ruler’s titles after they die. There are two types: gender and succession. Gender in CK2 has 5 types: agnatic, agnatic-cognatic, absolute cognatic, enatic-cognatic and enatic. Agnatic means only males can inherit titles, agnatic-cognatic allows for female inheritance but only if there are no males, absolute cognatic means men and women inherit equally, enatic-cognatic means males can only inherit if no females are available and enatic means only women can inherit titles.

Certain religions will place limits upon which of these laws can be implemented, for example Muslim rulers cannot change the law to anatic-cognatic or absolute cognatic. Most religions default to agnatic or agnatic-cognatic. The cultures of Tamriel tend to be a bit more progressive, most cultures default to absolute-cognatic, with the exception of the paternalistic Orsimer and the matriarchal Tsaesci who live in Akavir.

Succession laws decide how an heir is chosen. There are a lot of these, but they generally include election among the vassals of the realm, firstborn inheriting all titles, division of titles upon death among all children and the like. There are many unique government and inheritance types in Elder Kings, the Dunmer have a system called “Great House”. In a Great House the heir is chosen by a vote among all landed members of the sovereign’s dynasty, dukes, close blood relatives of the sovereign and council members vote upon the sovereign’s death.

In Crusader Kings 2 the laws of the realm are effectively 4 sliders which determine if vassals can declare wars, how centralized the realm is, how much power women can wield in the realm and whether or not the sovereign can revoke titles from vassals. In Elder Kings there are quite a few more realm laws available.

Realm inheritance decides if titles of vassals can pass outside of the realm or not, which is useful to avoid big holes appearing in your realm.

Slavery is a big dividing line in the cultures of Tamriel. No Breton, Nord, Cyrodiil or Khajiit ruler would (or could) legalize slavery in their realm. Likewise, the Ayleid and Dunmer cultures would never think to outlaw slavery if the choice was up to them. House Dres is famous (or perhaps infamous) for the great many slaves its warriors take, either to sell or be made to work on the saltrice plantations of the Deshaan Plains.

Resettlement laws refer to the legal means by which the culture of a province can be changed. Most realms default to allowing for expulsion and the building of settlements, while banning outright violent purges.

Mutilation laws govern the ability of the sovereign to inflict blinding, castration and other such punishments on prisoners. It is possible to make such acts illegal for just the sovereign or for all rulers in the realm.

Military organization laws affect the size of your retinue and levies. A levy based army will allow you to raise more troops from your vassals, but you won't be able to have a very large standing force. The standing army option, meanwhile, will allow you to keep a very large force on hand at all times but will halve the number of levies you can raise.

All other laws in this tab remain the same as normal CK2.

Obligation laws decide how much your vassals are obliged to provide you in taxes and levies. A “balanced” level will give you a normal amount of troops and gold, moving left will give you more gold but fewer levies and rightward gets you more troops but less money. Burghers can contribute a lot of money, but generally prefer to contribute troops and nobles can contribute a lot of troops, but would rather just pay taxes. The church prefers to be in the middle and really isn’t especially good at providing troops or gold.

Council laws decide how powerful your council is and what actions they get to vote on before you can do them. It is possible to ignore the council’s vote, but doing so upsets all of your vassals.

The Nords of Skyrim

According to legend the continent of Atmora was once a green and prosperous land. For centuries the continent had sent its unwanted south to Tamriel: criminals, rebels, landless younger sons of minor nobles, all made their way to the southern continent. These humans lived as minorities among the elves of Tamriel some as citizens, others as slaves. But Skyrim, being closest to Atmora, received far more immigrants than the other regions.

When a civil war broke out in Atmora the chieftain Ysgramor gathered a number of humans and sailed with them south to Skyrim. In Skyrim the humans settled in great numbers, building their capital of Saarthal on the Broken Cape, near modern Winterhold. For a time peace was maintained between the Atmorans and the native Falmer (Snow Elves) and trade between the two cultures flourished. This peace broke down however, although the exact reason has long been debated. Possibly the Falmer, like all elves, were a slow breeding race and feared that the quick breeding, short-lived humans would overwhelm and replace them in time. On the Night of Tears the Falmer raised Saarthal to the ground and killed all but Ysgramor and his two sons, who escaped back to Atmora.

In Atmora Ysgramor gathered a host of 500 companions who sailed with him on a punitive expedition to Skyrim. Everywhere they went these nordic heroes killed every elf they found and paved the way for Atmoran settlers. The Atmorans who settled in Skyrim at this time followed a religion much like that of the natives of Solstheim; worshipping animal totems in a shamanistic fashion. Of the animals these Atmorans worshipped the most venerated of all was the dragon and in time radical dragon priests, allied with the dragons which had lived in Skyrim for a long time as wild animals, took control of Skyrim. Eventually the dragon priests became tyrannical and the Atmorans (who were by now more Nord than Atmoran) rebelled, helped by a number of sympathetic dragons who taught them to use dragon magic. Eventually the priests and their dragons were driven into hiding in the more remote corners of Skyrim and dragon hunting would continue for some time.

Skyrim would be united by King Harald, a descendant of Ysgramor. Harald’s son Vrage the Gifted expanded to the east and west, conquering High Rock and Morrowind and founding a Nordic Empire that lasted around a hundred years before civil war ripped it apart. Late in the First Era the disunited province of Skyrim was invaded by a force of Akavir, who ravaged the region and defeated army after army of Nords. It took the combined forces of Cyrodiil, led by the mighty Dragonborn Reman Cyrodiil to defeat the Akavir army. The Nords swore their allegiance to Reman after this display of power and remained loyal to the empire he built until its collapse.

Skyrim is a harsh and mountainous land, with only a few isolated cities. These cities are located mostly in areas of great resource or trade wealth, such as Markarth and its silver or Riften and its trade with Morrowind through the Velothi Pass. Farming, herding, fishing, mining and forestry settlements are scattered throughout the region, especially along the riverways. The southern areas enjoy a more moderate (comparatively) climate and thus have more agriculture than the north.

In the Second Era the Nords of Skyrim follow the pantheon established by Saint Alessia. While there is some lingering resentment over the loss of Shor, most find it generally acceptable that he remains in some form as "the spirit behind all human undertaking" in the imperial faith.

In many ways the Nordic belief system represent the real divisions between humans and elves. Elves hate death and despise Lorkhan/Shor for cursing them with it, while Nords embrace Lorkhan/Shor and believe that dying a good death in battle will allow their souls to journey to Sovngarde, a warrior’s paradise built by Shor. Elves are fond of their magic, while Nords generally distrust it and the mages who practice it. Elven cultures have historically practiced slavery, while Nords view such activities with disgust and horror.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

Reign of King Leo III
11. A Great Man of Little Ambition

Very little of the records of the reign of King Leo III “The Bear” Renault survive. During renovations on the royal library of Balfiera most of these records were temporarily relocated to the College of Winterhold, where a fire broke out and destroyed many crates of documents before it could be put out. It has long been theorized that this might have been a deliberate act by Nord students who harbored a nationalistic grudge against the king.

The discovery of a number of diaries in Markarth in recent years has shed some light on the period. Duke Hrol Renault’s diary is especially interesting because it depicts a king whose behavior and temperament are seemingly at odds with his accomplishments. As my august colleague Belisarius Terrentius has noted: “Prince Leo was, from an early age, groomed to be the mirror of his father in talent and mood. He exhibited every trait we expect of great men, save the one that truly counts. He was a great man of little ambition upon taking the throne. Had fate not taken his betrothed from him or had he not chosen to remain a bachelor so long he might well have remained that way.”

Hrol Renault posted:

I have been lord of this Divine’s forsaken ravine and already I am convinced these people are without hope.

The Nords hate the Reachmen, the Reachmen hate the Nords and they both hate me because I am neither. The Orcs don’t really hate anyway, but don’t need an excuse to start a fight in the market. Understone Keep is in perpetual darkness, sunlight never reaches the narrow windows carved into the rockface and I spend as little time there as possible, lest I lose the ability to keep track of time. But most of all I despise the corruption.

My father put me here to make sure the silver of the Eastern Reach flowed straight and true to Solitude and then on to Balfiera and the kingdon’s vaults. The Karth River has ten major waterfalls, each one of which requires cargo to be taken off the ship, loaded onto a cart, moved along a narrow path and then loaded back on to the ship. The navigator of the original boat will demand a bribe, the men who unload the boat will demand a bribe, the man who drives the cart will and the men who unload the cart and then load the next boat will demand a double bribe since they are “doing two jobs”. If bribes are not given a few of the ingots will be “stolen by raiders” and end up in the hands of the followers of the great crone. She’ll use it to buy weapons to arm tribesmen to attack road patrols and mines, or just give it to the Orc strongholds as a bribe not to tell me where that monster is hiding.

Meanwhile my YOUNGER brother Leo is to become the next king of High Rock!

Hrol Renault
14th Frostfall, 631

Hrol Renault posted:

Back from the coronation and none too soon. All those aunts and uncles I haven’t seen in a decade and the endless counts and barons too! Still, I did my duty. I gritted my teeth and swore my oath of loyalty to Leo.

It’s not that I don’t get it. People want another king like dad, a strong and noble knight who will lead the realm to further victories, the sort of prince who hits on the tavern keeper's daughter and challenges drunk Orcs to armwrestling. It doesn’t matter how smart I am or what I could do for the realm, or even that I am father’s eldest son. All that matters is that Leo is more popular among the nobility and so they voted for him.

But if they’re expecting him to be a great conqueror like our father, they'll be disappointed. Whatever his talents my dear brother is a devoted hunter and follower of Kynareth and will happily live his whole life hunting bears and boars.

Hrol Renault
19th Sun’s Dusk, 631

Hrol Renault posted:

The Reachmen continue to be an issue. The ones living in the city and the mining camps aren’t too much of a problem (so long as they get their cut of the silver), but the tribals out in the hills and valleys are still loyal to the crone. It’s funny, before father evicted her from her cave most Reachmen viewed her cult as heretical. Now that she’s in hiding she’s a damned hero to these tribals!

The Karthspire is the biggest problem. From his armed encampment “King” Dualan claims to be at peace with High Rock, but the cave inside the encampment is very obviously being used as a training ground for tribal raiding parties. They take small leather canoes down the Karth River and attack any underguarded settlement or silver shipment they can find. The bastards had the nerve to set a windmill alight last night, the fire was visible from Markarth! That’s how brazen they are!

I’m preparing to visit my brother in a few days, to insist upon the need to evict the Reachmen from Karthspire in order to protect the mineral shipments. He’ll no doubt insist on taking me on one of his hunts, but I think he will listen.

Hrol Renault
4th of Midyear, 632

Hrol Renault posted:

The High Rock army at last arrived today, chasing off the rabble Dualan assembled outside the city gates. Truthfully, we could have held out for another year, the walls are impenetrable and I have made sure to keep the stores full stocked. But I am nonetheless happy to see my brother and even happier to see the Reachmen flee for their lives from a Breton cavalry charge.

Hrol Renault
10th of Frostfall, 633

Hrol Renault posted:

Come and fight with me, Hrol! It’ll be a grand adventure, Hrol!

I will never listen to a word Leo says to me again. The Siege of Karthspire from the outside was somehow worse than the siege of Markarth from the inside. The Witchmen knew the tunnels and caves of the spire as if they had built them themselves (I’m half convinced they did!). Ours was not so much a siege as a game of “kill the mole”, everytime we stormed a cave and killed its inhabitants more would sneak out of a different cave and raid our supply wagons. Every twig in the valley was sharpened and dipped in poison and the barbarians even left rotting animals in pits to try and spread disease among the soldiers.

Yesterday we finally caught up to the bastards. We raided a cavern behind a narrow waterfall and found Dualan, his wives and a couple dozen guards trying to pack up and flee through an old crypt. The guards were outnumbered and I personally froze the chieftain’s feet to the ground so he couldn’t escape. The wives all abandoned him and got away, which I personally found hilarious.

I’ll need to talk to Leo about who should get the Karthspire. I don’t really care who it is, so long as they brick up every cave entrance and keep the Reachman from using it as a base.

Hrol Renault
7th of Midyear, 634

Hrol Renault posted:

Imagine my surprise when Leo actually complimented me. He actually told me “Hrol, you’ve done a great job managing the Reach”, as if he might actually read the reports I send him. It’s possible, I suppose, but I am suspicious about this “dukedom” thing. In a few months I’m going to get a letter from him inviting me to a grand hunt and I won’t be able to say no because I owe him for taking care of the Karthspire and for granting me rule of the entire Eastern Reach.

Hrol Renault
14th of Midyear, 634

Hrol Renault posted:

Every. Divines Damned. Year.

Three years straight in a row I have been dragged from Markarth to spend two months with Leo and his sycophantic retainers traipsing through the forests of High Rock in search of bears, deer, boars and fowl to kill and butcher. I could not stomach another fork of game meat, I feel like I might have turned into a Bosmer on this most recent trip.

The man is in desperate need of a wife, if only so that he can bother her with this nonsense and not me. I have told him this several times, but he always seems disinterested in the topic.

Hrol Renault
25th of Sun’s Dusk, 637

Hrol Renault posted:

When my visiting brother invited me to a hunt I had assumed he meant deer or birds. Imagine my disgust when we reached the first skeever nest! I burned the awful things before they could slither out from under the rock, shouting every curse I knew at him as the bastard laughed his fool head off. Apparently while he was in Solitude on his way here he met the Fighter’s Guild chapter master for Markarth, who complained that he couldn’t get any of his adventurers to take on a quest. My moron of a brother offered to do it without even stopping to consider what the quest might’ve been and felt obligated to carry it out.

I must admit the man has become quite the skilled tracker. We found a dozen of the squalid burrows thanks to him, which will no doubt please the drunken fool who gave him this quest. I shall have to have a word with the guild master about what is and is not appropriate to ask of a high king. Speaking of asking, I asked Leo about marriage once more, but he is dead set on his bachelordom.

Hrol Renault
16th of Rain’s Hand, 639

Hrol Renault posted:

Another year, another hunt with all the lords of the realm. At this point it's more of a necessary annoyance than an event to dread. The nobles spend their time trying to impress Leo and negotiate marriages among their children, it serves a purpose for the realm. For Leo, however, it’s still all about the thrill of the chase.

The king has become an expert equestrian from all these hunts, he can run down a fox faster than anyone else and takes home most of the prizes. As always he came with a new crop of adventurers, mystics and minor nobles. His new court physician Quistor I found to be quite knowledgeable on the subject of restoration magic. A young woman whose name escapes me was also among Leo’s courtiers, she killed almost as many boars as him and I commented to him that she was quite lovely for one so skilled.

I think I might have detected a touch of a blush on the man’s face!
Hrol Renault
15th of Morning Star, 644

Hrol Renault posted:

A grand procession of priestesses made their way out of the city today, playing horns and lutes and throwing flower petals in every direction. The Temple of Dibella has been locked and repeated attempts by my guards to ask the clergy where they were going or what they were doing were met only with silence. Well, not silence so much as hymns, chanting and noises I personally don’t feel are appropriate for the marketplace.

These damned priestesses and their secret rites. Why couldn’t Markarth have a temple to a sensible deity, like Zenithar or Julianos?

Hrol Renault
5th of Rain’s Hand, 644

Hrol Renault posted:

One of Leo’s courtiers has apparently been “chosen” by Dibella to be her new Sybil, which explains all of the excitement around the temple these last few weeks. This news alone might have been enough to give me pause, but the letter I received did not simply announce that Audania Rader was the new Sybil of Dibella and had received lordship over the Priory at Beldama Tree.

Oh, no.

It also included an invitation. A wedding invitation. Seems that after the priestesses had showered Audania in flower petals and exotic perfumes the old bachelor proposed and she accepted. This apparently did not please the priestesses, who threw fits and argued that Dibella’s sybil could not get married. Audania, to her credit, shouted down these women who were her elders and said she’d become a priestess of Mara instead. That got them to change their tone and the ceremony is set for the end of the month. I’ll need to arrange passage soon, to see all those priestesses with sour faces at the ceremony, I wouldn’t miss that for the world.

Hrol Renault
2nd of Second Seed, 644

Hrol Renault posted:

I am back from the celebration at last. All those nobles, all that schmoozing and small talk. Ugh.

The happy bride and groom looked great in their outfits. King Leo wore a slim band of silver shaped like overlapping feathers, with a cape of sky blue and a tabard of yellow with blue and silver markings. He looked every bit like a male form of Kynareth, especially with his silver ceremonial bow. Audania was of course dressed in honor of Dibella, but her outfit was more conservative than I would have assumed. A crown of flowers, molded from gold and inlaid with rubies, sat on her head. Robes of red and gold matched the crown well.

The two spent the festivities chatting and entertaining their guests, but I could tell they would’ve rather not. Love in a relationship between nobles is a rare thing, political necessities come first. So I am happy for my brother, I suppose. I am even happier, however, that he was too busy with his new wife to declare yet another great hunt.

Still, I'm somewhat of a suspicious man by nature. I know Leo is utterly without ambition or plan, but Audania I don’t know so well. I brought quite a bit of silver with me to Balfiera, silver which bought me some friends in the city and the palace. They’ll be my eyes in the court.

Hrol Renault
11th of Midyear, 644

Hrol Renault posted:

It cannot be a simple coincidence, I just know it can’t. Audania’s been trying to get Leo to go to war with Winterhold for two months and now the King of Winterhold makes the idiotic move of declaring war on High Rock?

Calder doesn’t seem like an idiot, so why would he make such a foolish move? To invade High Rock’s holdings in Skyrim just as Winter is starting? Either he will see his forces devastated by blizzards or he will wait until Spring, at which point the full forces of High Rock will roll across the border and seize the coastline entirely.

This smells like a plot to me, but what is it? What does Audania hope to achieve?

Hrol Renault
22nd of Frostfall, 644

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
Just gotta say, it's a real pleasure to follow this one, your love of the setting makes every update seem lived-in and on point for TES.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

There's gonna be a plot to kill Audania, isn't there...

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

Reign of King Leo III
12. The Sybil of Dibella

Besides Duke Hrol, the diary of Queen Audania was also found in Markarth. While her insights into the later years of King Leo III’s rule are of course missing, her keen eye for military affairs gives us a fantastic account of the Skyrim Coalition Wars and the events that led up to them.

Audania Rader posted:

Mother always wanted me to be a diplomat.

She spent her youth in the court of the King of the Colovian Estates, making friends and negotiating with the bullheaded barons and dukes of the highlands. And what did she get for it?

The title to a barren stretch of Skyrim on the other side of the Jerall Mountains.

But father understood. He could never much stomach the sight of blood, but when I demanded stories of knights and battles every night before bed he obliged. When I asked for a practice sword he got me one from the barracks and even paid a few coins to the crotchety old blacksmith to give me lessons. Mother allowed it, so long as I didn’t show up to dinner with any visible bruises or cuts.

It took a lot of pleading to get her permission to travel. I couldn’t stand the idea of being stuck in Dunmarch, whiling away my hours until the day came that she arranged a marriage to some local Nord baron. I had to be here, in the heart of the greatest military nation in Tamriel. I knew I had what it took to serve as a commander for the army built by Hrol the Eagle Knight, I just had to get there.

And I did. I left home at 13 years old with only a small pouch of silver, a newly forged iron sword and an old piebald horse. I passed through the forests of Falkreath without problem and made it most of the way through Whiterun Hold as well. I killed my first man just a ways up from Rorikstead, probably he followed me from town. Probably he thought a young girl on the road alone made an easy target.

I didn’t turn back after that incident, though I badly wanted to. Made it Dragon Bridge and caught a boat up to Solitude with a shipment of silver. The captain said he was glad to have another guard on board, but I think he really just liked that I didn’t ask for a cut of the silver he and his crew pilfered. From Solitude I purchased passage to Balfiera, aboard the Lusty Hoarker, a name which the captain seemed worryingly proud.

The Sea of Ghosts was everything I had heard, and worse. Mist hung in the air over the water day and night, so thick that icebergs would seemingly appear out of nowhere and threaten to tear the ship to pieces. I learned from the sailors to listen for the honking of Chub Loons, who congregate on the ice. After what seemed like a lifetime the mist thinned out and the icebergs no longer showed up. We entered the Abecean Sea and the water shifted from royal blue to aquamarine.

Daggerfall was a short stop, only a few days. But what days they were! I had only ever known the mountains of Skyrim growing up and Solitude had been the greatest city I had ever yet visited. But Daggerfall! The markets, the temples, the elves and men from all over Tamriel! It left me dizzy, as embarrassing as that is to admit now. A recruiter for the fighters guild in the market nearly tempted me to give up on my journey and become an adventurer, but my stubbornness won out. I had left Skyrim with a plan and would pursue it to the end.

I saw the Adamantine Tower long before I saw even a hint of the coastline. The gray metal, even with untold thousands of years of wear, held a slight shine that caught the eye from far away. It was a needle held vertical against the horizon, then a line, then a monolith, by the time it was a tower the coast came into view. The still new forts of King Hrol shone in white stone, protecting the pathways to Upvale and the palace of King Leo.

It was there, in the palace, that I was sure my destiny as a great knight and commander lay. As they say, “mortals plan, the divines laugh”.

Audania Rader
1st of Second Seed, 644

Audania Rader posted:

Endless rain all week, plenty of time to finish what I had intended to be only a short reflection on how I got here, mere days from becoming the High Queen of High Rock. I do not feel as though my feet have touched ground in weeks and I am afraid they never will.

My dynasty and a letter from my mother were enough to get me into the castle, but it took some doing to convince a knight of the Order of Adamantine to take me as a squire. My looks, which have always been an asset, held me back for once. Even a great many of the female knights made ridiculous comments as to “not wishing to see Dibella’s blessings besmirched by war”. But I was insistent and at last found myself working for Sir Larchamp after demonstrating my skill with a sword to him.

I spent two happy, but exhausting, years in the squire’s quarters. I sharpened swords, hammered dents out of shields, brewed potions for the injured knights and most of all trained in the arts of war. Sir Larchamp was a demanding knight, but also quite fair. He saw my talent and dedication and rewarded me by taking me along as his aid to a grand hunt held by King Leo.

It was my first time seeing the monarch in person. He was well-muscled, although of average height. His brown hair was cut short in the Colovian fashion, but his carefully manicured beard was stereotypically Breton. An intimidating figure, especially given the reputation of his father before him. But my skill with the bow impressed him and he was sure to invite me to his future hunts from then on.

As my 16th birthday approached, I began to worry. I knew that any day a letter might arrive informing me of my betrothal to some Colovian or Nordic baron’s brother or son. When my birthday came and passed my worry only increased and indeed my fears came true on the first day of Sun’s Dawn. A letter in mother’s handwriting, informing me of my betrothal to Mirlar the Pickled, baron of Helgen. I pressed the messenger for information and found that I was in some luck. The letter had made its way to me through a string of poorly paid delivery men, I could stall for time and later claim that it must have gotten lost in the Druadach mountains. I figured I’d have 6 months before a second letter arrived, this time addressed to the chancellor.

I was still weighing my options when the priestesses came. I must admit I was exhilarated at first; this seemed to be an answer to my prayers. My mother couldn’t touch me if I was the Sibyl of Dibella! But after talking to the sisters of Dibella I realized I’d be trading one cage for another, cooped up in a priory somewhere performing rituals and bestowing blessings upon musicians and playwrights. I still stubbornly held to my dream to serve as a military commander.

I was carried on palanquin by the priestesses, who doused me so often in perfume that I felt it necessary to threaten some of the more enthusiastic sisters with the ceremonial flower staff they had given me to hold. At the audience chamber at Adamantine Castle the elder sisters informed the king of my becoming the new Sibyl and the need of a priory for me to be in charge of. To his credit Leo went from confused to calculating quickly, he exchanged a few whispered words with his chancellor and chief invoker amd then made his announcements. He first declared that High Rock acknowledged me as the true and rightful Sybil of Dibella. He then announced that the priory at the Great Tree of Beldama in Daenia would be granted to me and the priestesses of Dibella.

And then he asked me to marry him.

The sisters were too shocked to speak for a minute, but that was all the time I needed to make up my mind. I did not know then why Leo had made this proposal, but I knew that as queen I would have the freedom and influence to pursue my goal. I said yes, which prompted a lot of shouting from the sisters immediately. But I stood my ground and now here I am.

I wonder now if Dibella perhaps foresaw this when she chose me. The priestesses told me that I would “hear her voice” but I have yet to hear anything. So far I’ve gotten by with empty platitudes and quotes from past Sybils.

Audania Rader
14th of Second Seed, 644

Audania Rader posted:

Calder Wolf-Gale is not a man known for ambitious plots or military adventures, so his declaration of war is something of a surprise. But it is one that I think I might be able to make use of. He will undoubtedly be defeated, Leo’s armies are massive and well trained and he himself is the equal of his father in military talent. The war will be over soon and he will wish to return to Balfiera and his hunts.

I will not allow it. Leo has at his disposal the greatest army in Tamriel, trained by the greatest warlord since Reman Cyrodiil. He has the talent for command and the loyalty of his subjects. I will not be the wife of a man who, given the chance to conquer all of Tamriel, instead chose to chase rabbits in the woods.

I have insisted that I be allowed to stay in Markarth for the length of the conflict, to be in close proximity of his forces. In truth I’d rather be on campaign with him, but this is as best a compromise as I can come up with, since he’d rather I stay in Balfiera. It will give me a chance to get to know his brother Hrol, who I hope might help me convince Leo.

Audania Rader
12th of Midyear, 645

Audania Rader posted:

After the victory at Hraggstad Leo’s forces headed east to besiege Morthal. My king himself visited me to bring news of his victory and we celebrated. The results of this became apparent in Frostfall and a detect life spell cast by the priestess of Mara confirmed it. Markarth celebrated with a dual-festival to Mara and Dibella and I, as Sybil, blessed the maidens of the city. Duke Hrol muttered about me getting too “handsy” with the young ladies of his city, the old prude. But in the moment I felt as though my fingers were not entirely my own, as if moved by Dibella’s spirit. I have never been much of a zealot and perhaps it is only the pregnancy getting to me, but I seem to see signs everyone.

Audania Rader

11th of Sun’s Dusk, 645

Audania Rader posted:

Bad news mixed with good as the Winter nears its end. The city of Morthal, with its control of the mouths of the Hjaal and Karth Rivers, has been taken. But we have paid a great price fighting in the salt marshes of the river delta. Swamp Rot, Swamp Fever, Rattles and Dampworm afflicted the men in the Fall, forcing Leo to retreat back to Solitude and wait for the cold of Winter to make the marshlands safe. The Skyrim Winter was only slightly less deadly, but at least the ground was solid enough to support the weight of siege engines. The city fell in Sun’s Dawn and the High Rock army traveled here to Markarth to prepare for a march on Whiterun once Spring arrives fully.

Leo arrived just in time to meet his son, Hrol. My boy has my hair and good looks, but his cries are so terribly feeble. I have spent most of my time in prayer to Mara these past weeks and Leo has joined me when he is able. It does some good to have someone who will share the burden of worry.

Audania Rader
6th of Rain’s Hand, 646

Audania Rader posted:

Little Hrol continues to grow at an alarming rate, I wonder if all babies grow this fast? His health is excellent, and those early weeks of worry seem like a bad dream now. I can only hope all of my children are so healthy.

The steep hills of Whiterun have at last fallen to my husband, granting him control of the middle portion of the White River and opening up a path to Windhelm that doesn’t require marching an army through the frozen wastelands of The Pale. But King Calder is likely to offer terms of surrender before it comes to that. Whatever palace intrigue led him to declare this foolish war cannot be worth Winterhold being sacked.

Audania Rader
28th of Morning Star, 647

Audania Rader posted:

The war is ended, but my work has only just begun. The treaty may protect the Jarl of WInterhold for a time, but before my life is ended I will see Skyrim gifted to my son.

Audania Rader
8th of Sun’s Dawn, 647

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
She's got plans, she sure does!

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

So, Duke Hrol is barking up the wrong tree it seems.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Ambitious and deceitful really is one of the better trait combinations.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Are Hrol and Audania going to be looking for another plotter while Leo stumbles into fame and glory?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I'm more interested in the child. Is he blessed, or cursed?

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

Reign of King Leo III
13. The Coalition Wars

Wars of the Coalition posted:

Then the Lord and Lady stood before Winterhold’s crowds,
And declaimed their good intentions towards the Nords.

The High King wore a helm decorated with horns of silver,
And his arms were like sturdy oaks and his legs moreso.

The High Queen wore a robe of fine silk decorated with fine colors,
And her face was comely and her gestures ever moreso.

The Nords proclaimed “Behold it is Blessed Alessia!”
The Nords proclaimed “Behold it is Mighty Morihaus!”

But the Lady chastised them, saying;
“Do not make God talk so easily, lest you invite cruel fates.”

So did the Nords comply and return to their hearths,
But all carried half notions in their hearts.

And on Snow-Throat a word was spoken,
Which was one more than the elven number.

Audania Rader posted:

After a few days of rest I at last have the strength to write. Baby Audania was born late in the night of the 7th day of Sun’s Height, her cries were strong and she appears to be quite healthy. This second pregnancy was somewhat easier, if such a thing is possible. I am excited to get back to work, the past few months I have spent most of my time in the castle and have not been able to visit the barracks.

The enlarged quarters for the Bosmer archers and Orsimer shock infantry have been completed, although I will need to see if they are up to my standards. In my pregnant state walking all the way around the Adamantine Tower was often too much of a task and despite my offer of a reward none have yet found a method to drill through the solid metal shaft.

Leo has been a dear throughout the ordeal, as always.

Audania Rader
12th of Sun’s Height, 647

Audania Rader posted:

If given the choice Leo would spend his every waking hour fussing over me, but I am insistent. High Rock’s neighbors are eager to take advantage now that old king Hrol is gone and Leo will need an army equal to his father’s to defend his borders.

Or expand them.

Audania Rader
25th of Morning Star, 648

Audania Rader posted:

All babies are cute, of course. And I love all of my children, but I must admit that I can already tell that Bruno will be my prettiest child.

Audania Rader
14th of Last Seed, 648

Audania Rader posted:

I can’t help thinking that there must have been something else we could’ve done. The gates were kept locked all throughout the epidemic and the court physician monitored our progress the whole way through, but his detect life spells could only tell him that little Kasorayn was alive. It wasn’t until he was born that we saw the cruel bend of his little spine.

I have charged the physician with Kasorayn’s care and released him from all other duties. Even so, I am told that my son will struggle with his health all of his life.

Audania Rader
17th of Morning Star, 650

Audania Rader posted:

Leo took me out riding yesterday, it has been so long I had forgotten how skilled he was!

I have little time for leisure these days. There is always another loyalist to install or another construction project to oversee on the island. Balfiera seems to grow by the day, intricate systems of pumps, canals and wells now keep the cities and forts clean and healthy. This in turn attracts more immigrants, who are prepared to take up arms in defense of their home.

Duke Hrol often goes hunting with my husband, less for leisure and more to try and convince him of the necessity of a war with Winterhold. It was not hard to convince my brother-in-law that he would have an outsized influence in a Breton-ruled Skyrim and he has pursued the task of convincing Leo with gusto.

Audania Rader
3rd of Evening Star, 652

Audania Rader posted:

DIVINES drat IT ALL!

When I find the spy who leaked our plans I will have him hung from the Tower itself! Somehow King Calder of Winterhold has become aware that we intend to invade Skyrim in less than a year’s time and has been busy assembling a coalition to defend him in the event of an attack by High Rock. Only High Queen Nahruzah of Hammerfell has publicly declared war on us, but the others have made their intentions known.

King Balgruuf of Bruma, Queen Cargas of the Colovian Estates, King Casistus of Nibenay and even the Count of Cyrodiil Island have sent letters declaring that they will protect the independence of Skyrim against any further Breton incursions. This means that if our forces march into Winterhold the combined forces of Cyrodiil will declare upon us. Luckily Calder was unable to convince them to join Hammerfell’s declaration, otherwise we’d be fighting on every border.

Hammerfell will have to be our focus for now, the declaration against Winterhold can wait for a bit. We’ll need to convince Queen Nahruzah to drop out of the coalition quickly, the longer the war goes on the more likely Calder will launch his own attack on the Reach. But we’ll also have to be careful, the Alik’r Desert is one of the harshest places in Tamriel and we cannot afford to lose too many men in a prolonged fight.

Every other human nation in Tamriel has conspired against us. We’ll show them that was a grave mistake.

Audania Rader
1st of Rain’s Hand, 657

Audania Rader posted:

Leo asked me to stay in Balfiera when he rode out, but I refused. He will need my advice if he is to win this conflict and I will be just as safe at the war camp as I would be at the keep.

High Queen Nahruzah’s forces were already prepared for the war before her declaration arrived. 12,000 soldiers crossed the Iliac Bay into Stormhaven within days of the war’s start. She brought a balanced force of about 3,500 light and 3,000 heavy infantry as well as 3,000 skirmishers and another 2,000 in light cavalry and made to capture Balfiera and our barracks before our vassal forces, dispersed all over High Rock and Skyrim, could have a chance to gather fully. It was a good plan and might well have succeeded, but Nahruzah underestimated just how many troops are stationed at Balfiera.

King Leo raised 7,000 men from his island forts and called upon the Knights of Adamantine, his personal retinue. These forces met with another 2,500 from nearby vassals at Birdsong Tower Fort, just west of Wayrest. We were awaiting further reinforcements when Nahruzah arrived, forcing us to go into battle at a disadvantage in numbers.

The Redguards had 1,000 more infantry and more than 1,000 more cavalry, but the legions of Hrol and Leo were well armored and disciplined. The skirmish went poorly for us, the Redguards had more archers and rained a great many missiles upon our frontline. Thankfully our battlemages were able to provide wards and healing and the damage to our infantry was not too great.

When the lines met the difference in numbers became obvious, but our troops kept their discipline and fought well. The knights were likewise outnumbered, but aided by a good number of swift summoned beasts and the Hammerfell light cavalry were unable to find their window to hit our flanks. Leo rode at the head of a small force of Orsimer berserkers atop armored cave bears and struck deep into the left side of the enemy’s frontline. The Orcs proved their worth, hacking their way through the line and assaulting the skirmishers behind them.

Panic spread among the archers and spear throwers, who took flight. This boldend our legionaries, who surged forward with a shout and flooded into holes in the enemy line blasted open by our mages. The enemy’s morale faltered and a retreat was called that soon collapsed into a rout. The High Queen left nearly two thirds of her men dead upon the field of battle.

We will head out shortly in pursuit of her, before she can reinforce or disappear into the desert.

Audania Rader
21st of Sun’s Height, 657

Audania Rader posted:

Nahruzah has slipped from our grasp and is likely regrouping at some oasis fortress in the Alik’r Desert. The forces we crushed in the ruins of Qharroa were likely on their way to reinforce her.

We dare not pursue her further, we lack any decent maps of the Alik’r and would lose too many men in the hunt. Instead we shall invest the city of Lainlyn, whose port will provide an essential supply line across the Iliac Bay to Balfiera.

Audania Rader
3rd of Hearthfire, 657

Audania Rader posted:

With Lainlyn fallen and her forces unable to recover from the Battle of Birdsong Tower, the High Queen has made the wise decision to accept an offer of white peace, rather than watch Leo loot every Redguard city in the Iliac Bay. The king will return to Balfiera to plan our next step move. I will do what I can to plan the logistics for the invasion of Skyrim, but I fear my pregnancy will make this hard. Mara forgive me but I am looking forward to becoming infertile, five children should be enough!

Audania Rader
15th of Morning Star, 658

I am pretty sure Torvic is our first bisexual child, neat.

Audania Rader posted:

It’s been 3 months since Torvic was born and the preparations are all in place. I can tell Leo is hesitant, but he will do what needs to be done with some pushing from me and his brother. The kings of Skyrim and Cyrodiil have made it clear that they intend to oppose us, we must make it more clear that they cannot stop us. 16,000 soldiers stand ready to be called out, we cannot hesitate now.

Audania Rader
31st of Last Seed, 658

Audania Rader posted:

All through Winter, Spring and Summer the Nords have had a free hand in the Reach. They seized watchtowers, forts and towns along the Karth River and blocked the flow of silver to High Rock. Worse, they took control of the streets of Solitude, though Castle Dour has remained strong.

But we have paid them back for these actions today! The Nords knew of our arrival long before we descended from the high mountains of Haafingar and sought to place their backs to the rapids of the Karth in order to avoid being flanked by our larger force.

The mages of the College of Winterhold lent their skills to the usually magic-adverse Nords, but even so we held the advantage in both skirmishers and battlemages. The dry Fall grass burned easily and the Nordic frontline was too busy stamping out the flames to hold their shields against the first deadly volley of missiles. Their shieldwall was able to form up against the second, but their own skirmishers were badly hit and retreated after two more volleys. Further volleys did little against the Nord heavy infantry, who could not be induced to move from their favorable position.

The legions of High Rock formed their own wall and advanced upon the Nords in a steady and disciplined fashion, which intimidated the thanes of Skyrim who were unused to Colovian style warfare. A hail of heavy javelins rocked the Nordic shieldwall, which then received the full might of our charge. The lines locked in combat and both sides held their own for a time, then came the sounding of horns.

The Nord berserkers, shirtless and wielding heavy axes, had waited below the battle, hugging the wet rocks and readied to climb crude ladders hammered into the cliffs. They arrived as quickly as they could, hoping to flank the Breton infantry before our own forces could respond. None made it to our infantrymen, for the Orsimer shock troops and mounted knights charged at them and killed them before most of them could ascend the ladders. These ladders were set aflame by mages and several dozens of men fell to death or grievous injury and the rest below were left stranded.

With their plan having failed so terribly the mainline panicked, the proud Nords realizing that their position left them with no avenue of retreat. Some men fought on, while others tried to leap to safety in their hurry. At last some of their mages formed a ramp of ice down to the other side of the river and the retreat was sounded. Our cavalry could not pursue, but so great were the Nord losses that I doubt they will be back to challenge our control of the Reach any time soon. We shall now march north to retake Solitude, whose port we will need.

Audania Rader
17th of Frostfall, 659

Audania Rader posted:

The Winterhold Coalition, as it is increasingly being called, appears to be unraveling. With much of her forces intact following the white peace, High Queen Nahruzah has stabbed her alliance members in the back and declared war on Winterhold for further claims in Falkreath. The Colovians have remained faithful, however, and sent a force to besiege Markarth. With Solitude in had we marched down the Karth and crushed this inferior force, taking only minor losses.

Our next goal will be Whiterun, control of which will make communication between Skyrim and Cyrodiil difficult, especially with Hammerfell invading Falkreath Hold.

Audania Rader
1st of Last Seed, 661

Audania Rader posted:

Whiterun and the White River are ours. Now we prepare for the journey to the coast. Windhelm will fall first and then Winterhold itself, we’ll march west along the Sea of Ghosts and arrive back in Solitude while the Coalition desperately tries to retake Whiterun. Victory is only a matter of time.

Audania Rader
20th of Last Seed, 661

Audania Rader posted:

Despite repeated victories the Coalition refuses to surrender, even with their combined forces whittled down to a desperate nub freezing in the tundra outside Whiterun. Our own forces are not much better, in truth. We had to abandon the siege of Dawnstar when Winter came, the Pale is constantly battered by the frigid winds which come off the Sea of Ghosts and our men were dropping like flies.

Morthal was an easier target, despite the salt marshes. When we took the city the locals hailed Leo and I as the reincarnations of Morihaus and Alessia. This was flattering, although I was sure to shut them up quickly, such talk is dangerous.

Audania Rader
19th of Sun’s Dawn, 664

Audania Rader posted:

The plan to besiege Dawnstar in Spring and take it before Winter comes has been waylaid. A Coalition force of over 4,000 arrived near Morthal in early Fall, hoping to take the city and cut off some of our supply lines (which are barely adequate as is in the Pale).

We met them at an ancient Nordic ruin called High Gate, which they had reinforced in a couple of weeks when they became aware of our approach. The old fortifications held well, but they had plugged gaps in the stoneworks with wooden Palisades which burned easily. Through these gaps rushed our heavy infantry, which made short work of their forces.

A good victory, but our hopes for taking Dawnstar this year are dashed. I am also concerned that our numbers have dwindled to nearly a third of their original size, we may need reinforcements before attempting to take Dawnstar again.

Audania Rader
10th of Hearthfire, 664

Audania Rader posted:

With the aid of the Cyrodiil Fighters Guild we have at long last taken Dawnstar. Surely the members of the Coalition must see the folly of continuing this war any longer.

Audania Rader
29th of Rain’s Hand, 665

Audania Rader posted:

At last the Coalition has shown itself!

We chased a force besieging Winterhold up the White River all the way to Whiterun, where they received reinforcements from an army besieging Greymoor. Still, the numbers advantage is ours and this might be our chance to at last bring this war to a close.

Audania Rader
29th of Morning Star, 666

Audania Rader posted:

The Battle of Greymoor was an utter defeat for the Coalition of Winterhold. With not even a thousand men between them the Nords and Cyrodiils could no longer delay the inevitable.

The plains of Whiterun, the salt marshes of Hjaalmarch, the desolation of the Pale, the snowy mountains of Winterhold, the bubbling springs of Eastmarch. All belong to King Leo the Third, the Bear Knight, the Conqueror of Skyrim.

And upon the thrones of Skyrim shall sit my sons.

Audania Rader
2nd of Evening Star, 666

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
:munch: Do go on. And how shall the hunchback eventually become king?