Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Does the bisexual trait in this mod act as a modifier to the homosexual trait? Just wondering why Torvic has both.

I can't remember the lore, but I remember at one point a human ascends to become an Aedra, and its contentious as to whether this is possible. Has that happened yet? Is Audania going to become a God? :eek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
The united Kingdom of High Rock-Skyrim. I like the ring to it!

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Chatrapati posted:

Does the bisexual trait in this mod act as a modifier to the homosexual trait? Just wondering why Torvic has both.

I can't remember the lore, but I remember at one point a human ascends to become an Aedra, and its contentious as to whether this is possible. Has that happened yet? Is Audania going to become a God? :eek:

Audania for god!

I like her. I know if she weren't in the protagonist's seat she'd be a villain but she's neat.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Luhood posted:

The united Kingdom of High Rock-Skyrim. I like the ring to it!
High Rim

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

Chatrapati posted:

This is kind of a disingenuous answer, but Tiber Septim became Talos. Its also possible for someone to "mantle" the title of one of the gods and become something akin to an avatar, so maybe Audania will actually become Dibella.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

Chatrapati posted:

xthetenth posted:

Audania for god!

I like her. I know if she weren't in the protagonist's seat she'd be a villain but she's neat.

Sinner Sandwich posted:

This is kind of a disingenuous answer, but Tiber Septim became Talos. Its also possible for someone to "mantle" the title of one of the gods and become something akin to an avatar, so maybe Audania will actually become Dibella.

As far as I've seen only characters with the homosexual trait can also get the bisexual trait, yes.

There are a number of ways in which a mortal can become Et'Ada (the difference between Aedra and Daedra is just that the former helped create the world and the latter did not). One way is to walk in the footsteps of a dead god (which is not quite the same thing as mantling...I think?). Tiber Septim ended the second era when he walked in the footsteps of Lorkhan, who was dead (although his spirit still wandered Nirn) and eventually became him, or became something so close to him that the difference between the two ceased to matter. He ascended to become an Aedra, sitting upon the "empty seat" where Lorkhan belonged which existed in most pantheons.

This is possible in Elder Kings, but Audania cannot walk in the footsteps of Dibella, because she is not dead. The Aedra may be distant, but only Lorkhan is dead and only his seat may be claimed in this way. Besides, Audania is not a particularly Dibella-like person, except for being a pretty attractive person according to her traits. The means by which one can ascend to godhood will be covered by a later update, as probably will Tiber Septim.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
So how long before a push on the Imperial City becomes viable?

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

Reign of King Leo III
14. The Old Bear’s Sorrow

Professor Saaginia Glishca posted:

While the discovery of a number of journals in markarth has done much to help us understand the early and middle reign of King Leo the Bear, no such singular source exists for his later reign. We are instead forced to make our best guesses from a collection of letters, missives and scraps of writing, which were collected by the historian Jeananne Labuche about 50 years after his death into The Late Reign of King Leo the Bear . Though she did her best to restore these documents, many were badly damaged and are included as fragments, rather than whole documents. They paint a picture which is a stark contrast to the public view of the conqueror of Skyrim.

-Saaginia Glishca, Professor of History at the Arcane University

Letter from King Leo III posted:

Dearest Brother,

I greet you warmly from Balfiera, where Audania and I are doing quite well. I have read your report on Skyrim and I am gladdened to hear that you have so capably pacified the countryside following the war. Governor Edwistyr speaks highly of your occupation of the islands off the coast of Haafingar and the resultant decrease in piracy. My own ministers are also pleased to see the resumption of silver shipments from Solitude.

Letter from King Leo III posted:

The coast remains the primary focus of my efforts to establish a peaceful rule in the province. The marriage of my daughter Audania to Jarl Tharstan of the Pale has been arranged and will likely be announced by the time this letter reaches you. I hope this will do much to ease Nordic concerns of my intentions for Skyrim. You can of course expect an invitation to the celebration once it is finalized, I am certain she would be glad to see her uncle after so many years.

My son Hrol sends word that you came to visit him in Winterhold, which is good to hear. I am hopeful that his betrothal to the princess of Bruma will secure a lasting peace with our former enemies in Cyrodiil. I must admit to worrying a bit about him ruling so large a holding at so young an age, especially with it being so far from Balfiera. But I know that you will be a good mentor and ally to him in Skyrim.

Audania continues to worry about Falkreath and the Kingdom of Hammerfell in southwestern Skyrim, but I doubt the Redguard queen is likely to start any trouble without support from another realm and who would do so after she stabbed the WInterhold Coalition in the back? I am tired of war talk and would gladly spend my remaining days at home with Audania and my hunting dogs. Speaking of which, you really must come and visit for a few months in August, we’ll go on a boar hunt.

Your brother,

Leo Renault
9th of Second Seed, 669

Jarl Hrol I posted:

Quentus Gallata,

I am calling in that favor you owe me.

I need to know why my sister-in-law died in a duel with my brother’s steward. You’ve got family in the court of Daenia, find out everything you can.

An agent of mine will contact you in 3 months time.

-H.

Diary fragment of King Leo III posted:

Another hunt, another load of boar meat. The thrill of these things I once enjoyed are...

[indistinguishable]...even the coming of Spring is without joy to me. Hrol visits when he can and I know it is a burden but I cannot [indistinguishable]...

I visit her monument every morning, on the days when I care to leave the castle. Between periods of mourning and grayness I have thoughts of anger. Why is it that she should have to die for a cross word spoken in mistake while the bastard who murdered his sovereign's wife lives to be an old man? Why should h [indistinguishable]...

Letter from Chancellor Alain Frey posted:

To his most right and honorable majesty King Leon the Third, King of High Rock and Lord of Balfiera,

My most humble greetings to you. I am Alain Frey, chancellor to his lordship Duke Marco of Daenia. My lord was distressed to receive your letter of challenge this past week, for he has always been a devoted and faithful vassal to you, his honored lord. The conflict he had with the late Queen Audania, may her soul rest in peace, was never meant to end in death and my lordship has expressed his regrets to you previously. Besides his diswant of a fight with your lordship Duke Marco is also concerned for his age. At his advanced age my lord does not think he would be up to the task of a duel and surely any such fight would only do dishonor to the challenger.

Please your lordship, accept your vassals apology and forget any thoughts of revenge, it is not becoming of a king of your stature.

Your humble servant,

Alain Frey

Letter from Chancellor Alain Frey posted:

To his merciful and honorable majesty King Leon the Third, King of High Rock and Lord of Balfiera,

I write again to you, my most honorable lord, to beg you to cease your attempts at avenging yourself upon my lord Duke Marco. My lord is a man of scholarly pursuit and not inclined to the field of honor, challenging him in a battle of arms cannot but have one outcome. Surely your lordship would not seek a duel simply to kill an old man?

I beg you, your lordship, reconsider this course of action.

Your humble servant,

Alain Frey

Letter from Duke Marco Aethelred posted:

King Leo the Third of High Rock,

Though it pains me to accept, I will not have my reputation further tarnished by your challenges. I am no coward and will not be called one by anybody, even my liege lord. If you insist upon this then I shall meet you at the field of honor outside Balfiera City three weeks hence. I leave it to you to choose the arms which will be used.

Your loyal vassal,

Duke Marco of Daenia

Marco looked like a child in his armor, like a squire trying on his lord’s cuirass. He stumbled towards me, his eyes wide with fear, swinging his sword in a slow arc. I wondered, how could this man have beaten my wife? Or did he cheat back then?

It didn’t matter

[indistinguishable]...he held his injured hand against his chest and said it again “I yield! I yield!” as if I cared. As if this was about honor or justice. The sword slid in so easily, like he was a sheath made for it. I took it slow, letting him [indistinguishable]

Maco’s son now rots in my dungeons, punished for seeking my life. In truth I cannot blame him for wanting to avenge his father. Perhaps I should have let him kill me, my life doesn’t seem to be of much help to anyone these days.

Old war wounds ache at times, seemingly in response to the weather. They remind me of the wars, when Audania and I spent our nights in drafty tents planning out supply lines and troop movements. In the morning we’d awaken to black bread and salted fish for breakfast. I never saw her happier than when she was on campaign.

Mother has passed away. I’d not seen her in over a dozen years, though I’d always intended to visit one of these days. It’s too late now. Hrol could not get away from Markarth for the funeral, but at least I was able to say goodbye.

Hrol cannot find time to visit his own mother’s funeral, but now he comes to me to talk about the King of Nibenay. I only told him that I was not concerned with Cyrodil, but he insisted on talking about it. I snapped at him and he has not talked to me since. It seems like what few friends I have left I drive away.

Hrol Renault posted:

I was not the best big brother, I know that. I never had father’s talent for making people feel at ease, honestly I never much liked socializing. But if Leo would have just talked to me I would’ve done something.

Hrol Renault posted:

I knew he took it hard when Audania died, but I had thought he’d find something else to fill his time.

Hrol Renault posted:

I should’ve known something was up when the invitations to visit stopped coming. He was always the one to invite me, I should’ve invited him to Markarth. I should’ve told him we could hunt wild goats in the cliffs. He would’ve liked that, dragging me along muddy river banks to shoot arrows at bleating beasts.

Instead I bought into the hype. I thought of him as the mighty bear knight, the conqueror of Skyrim. Fearless and without need for help. I forgot that he was still just my little brother who needed my help.

I’m sorry Leo.

Hrol Renault
17th Sun’s Dusk, 681

Clayren fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 21, 2019

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Well, that's not how I expected things to go. :(

Dakona
May 3, 2014
He gained his vengeance but it seems it wasn't enough. drat shame.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

May his soul find Aetherius.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
I came here to be amazed, not to feel! :(

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

Map and Lore Interlude 4: The world of 2E 681The Cyrodiils of Tamriel’s Heartland

The realms of Tamriel, as prepared in the year 681 of the Second Era by head geographer Berlette Letrax and chancellor Frinel Ergeron. With assistance from chief-diplomat to Hammerfell Owyeem Raactte, chief-diplomat to Morrowind Ano Hleran, chief-diplomat to Alinor Gilraen Chatterbeak and chief-diplomat to Bruma Berich Atius. With assistance from associate geographers Mareliene Lusearde, Leigeskr the Portly and Shazgob gro-Bagdub.

Annotations made by Professor Adamus Caro in the year 114 of the Third Era by imperial commission.

Berlette Letrax and Frinel Ergeron dedicate the contents which follow in memory of the great King Leo the Bear, third of his name, who commissioned this report. May his spirit rest in peace.

In the pages which follow our team has compiled, to the best of our abilities, as accurate and dependable a compendium of the realms and rulers of Tamriel. It is our sincere hope that it shall help guide the ruler of High Rock in the years to come.

Professor Adamus Caro posted:

The Realms of Tamriel (681) was written in the last 5 years of the reign of King Leo III, although it was not finished until several days after his death. We know that it came out very shortly after his suicide, because the authors in their foreward do not name the current king of High Rock. The vote was likely still being held among the lords of the realm and the authors perhaps felt it was important that the book be ready for whoever took the throne. Or perhaps they were afraid that the new king would cancel the project and they would not get their pay if they waited.

In the 251 years between the end of the Second Empire and the release of the Realms of Tamriel (681) the borders of Tamriel changed greatly. The chaos of the early interregnum had by now given way to a more stable system of kingdoms. The diplomatic chaos following the Coalition Wars in the mid-600’s had begun to settle by ‘81 and there were even talks of a treaty between High Rock, Hammerfell and Bruma to reorganize the borders of Skyrim and establish a joint task force to deal with bandit problems in the Rift and Falkreath. Such hopes for a new era of peace and cooperation were of course dashed by the Nibenay Crisis.

For the sake of completeness and the aid of our posterity, we first shall talk of the most august High Kingdom of High Rock and her territories in Skyrim. The High Kingdom is composed of the united lands of all High Rock as well as the holds of Haafingar, the Reach, the Pale, Hjaalmarch, Whiterun, Winterhold and Eastmarch in Skyrim. Its capital is the splendid Island of Balfiera, home of the Adamantine Tower and the Eagle Palace.

Of the vassals of our noble king there are too many to list here, but we would be lax to not mention Grand Duke Dunywyr of House Ysciele, who rules over Wayrest, Koegria and Farrun. His help in this project has been most essential.

Following the unification of High Rock by King Hrol the Eagle the Renault family had been mostly successful in preventing any of their vassals from becoming too powerful. The one big exception to this was the Ysciele family, whose expansion from the Wrothgar mountains into Wayrest and Farrun made them the largest landowners in the realm by far. Efforts to professionalize the army of High Rock and move away from a levy-based system began in large part as a response to how dangerous it was to rely on the Yscieles’ for much of the army.

The High Kingdom of Hammerfell rules over all of the traditional lands of the Redguards, save for some counties in the southern grasslands which border Colovia. In addition, the hold of Falkreath in Skyrim is mostly controlled by High Queen Nirifa who rules from her capital of Falkreath. She is the daughter of Queen Nahruzah, who betrayed the Coalition of Winterhold during the Coalition Wars. Her talents as a diplomat have done much to repair relations with the Colovian Estates since that event.

King Delmar of Rihad retains his claim to the great city of Rihad, despite it long having fallen into the hands of Hammerfell. Instead he rules from a lakeside keep in the heart of the southern grasslands, the last of the independent Forebear leaders. His independence is maintained so long as the Colovian Estates value Rihad as a buffer state.

The movement of the Hammerfell court from Sentinel to Falkreath occurred shortly after Queen Nahruzah finished her invasion of Falkreath during the Coalition Wars. This was a risky move, meant to send a message to the victorious King Leo III that Hammerfell would not surrender its claims in Skyrim to him nor accept any proclamation of high kingship over the Nords. By all accounts it worked, because King Leo III never sought to press any claim to the hold.

King Tynven is the rightfully elected ruler of the Colovian Estates, which has expanded greatly in recent years. Besides the traditional Colovian lands and the great cities of Anvil, Kvatch, Skingrad and Chorrol the confederation has also captured Bravil from the Kingdom of Nibenay. The mixed grasslands and forests of northeastern Valenwood, including the city of Arenthia, have fallen to Colovian control. So too have the dry plains of northern Elsweyr, including the cities of Riverhold and Dune. The king himself is not a Colovian, but a Reachman whose family hails from the Karth River Valley.

The expansion of the Colovian Estates into central and southern Cyrodiil created a lot of trouble for the Kingdom of Nibenay. Repeated failures to retake Bravil fed discontent among the nobility, leading to the near decade of civil wars prior to Nibenay Crisis.

The Nord King Balgruuf Stuhn rules over the “Kingdom of Bruma” from the eponymous city. His lands include the northern Cyrodilic region of county Bruma, as well as the Nordic hold of the Rift and its strategic pass to Morrowind. The northern coast of Lake Rumare is also a part of his realm. A man of many talents, Balgruuf is well respected by Nords and Cyrodiils alike, though his reign may be nearing its end.

Less respected is King Rufius of Nibenay, whose public declaration of devotion to the Sanguine the daedric prince of debauchery has been met by universal disgust and anger. The neighboring realms of Bruma, Morrowind and the Colovian Estates openly discuss his overthrow. Rufius may only be a puppet, however. In recent years the kingdom has in fact been ruled by Rufius’ new wife Aelva, a commoner who seemingly appeared in the court of King Rufius one day. While Nibenay continues to rule over most of its traditional lands along the Niben River and large areas of northeastern Elsweyr (including the great city of Rimmen), this may soon change if the forces of southern Tamriel unite to dethrone Rufius and split its lands among themselves.

One ruler who would be interested in such a coalition is the Mane of Elsweyr, Ethad-sa. Or, to be accurate, the council of nobles who rule the kingdom until the Mane comes of age. The Khajiit race is known to vary wildly in their appearance, with some resembling a common house cat and others looking almost exactly like a Bosmer and many more types in between. The Mane is a special form of Khajiit, born under an exceedingly rare formation of the moons. There is only ever one Mane, which the Khajiit believe is reincarnated after every death in a new body. The current Mane has inherited a kingdom greatly diminished, with the western, northern and eastern regions of the realm having fallen into the hands of men and mer. The central badlands and southern jungles remain in Khajiit control, along with the moon sugar plantations of the south.

Agitation among the Khajiit of Nibenay-occupied Elsweyr would be a major contributor to the unrest within that kingdom that led up to the Nibenay Crisis. Elsweyr funneled weapons and funds across the border to Rimmen throughout this period.

To the west lies the region of Valenwood, divided into three realms. The Kingdom of Archen remains true to the ancient Bosmer Pact of the Green and fights to preserve these ancient ways against Altmeri incursions. From Elden Root the young Queen Niranda rules the Bosmer of the deep jungle.

Her opposite is found in the elder Queen Dorathil of Falinesti who has rejected the Green Pact and aligned her social views with those of the Altmer who have colonized southern Valenwood. Her building of logging camps in the sacred forests of the Bosmer for export to Alinor has resulted in numerous uprisings throughout the region.

The colonies of Altmer in southern Valenwood are another cause of unrest in the province. The Altmeri colonials live in fortified settlements, surrounded by plantations which grow cherries, ginkgo seeds and other plants valued by the Altmer. The widespread use of Bosmer slaves on these plantations and the destruction of plant life which results has created great anger among the native race.

Alinor has been ruled by High Queen Ciindewal for over 120 years, since her conquest of the Summerset Isles in 2E 561. Under her rule the Altmer have built colonies in both Valenwood and Pyandonea. The wealth this has brought to the homeland of the Altmer has been significant, but anti-Altmer sentiment is also growing among the Maormer and Bosmer. Time will tell if these projects will remain or be destroyed by native revolts.

The colonization of northern Pyandonea was aided greatly by the death of the immortal god king of the Sea Elves, Orgnum. Orgnum’s death not only left his people without his powerful magics, but also threw the religious and cultural life of the Maormer into chaos. Today the dust has settled and the general view of the Maormer is that Orgnum was not a god, but a saint and worship of the traditional Altmer pantheon, with some key differences, is the law of the re-united kingdom. High King Sairon is himself a devotee of Orgnum’s teachings and has pledged to see the Altmer removed from his homeland.

From deep in the impenetrable heart of the Black Marsh the Argonian King An-Zaw the second rules over the Kingdom of Helstrom. Repeated invasions from Morrowind and Nibenay during the early part of the Interregnum have diminished the lands of the lizard folk, but the An-eiuslan clan took advantage of the chaos following the Knahaten Flu and have united the Argonians against foreign invasion.

The Grand Council which rules Morrowind was once composed of five great houses. This changed after the Knahaten Flu, when the southernmost House Dres faced massive population loss and widespread slave uprisings. To restore order the Tribunal Temple, House Indoril and House Telvanni conspired against Dres and divided their holdings between them. Now Telvanni controls most of the traditional lands of the Dres, the Temple controls the rest and Indoril has taken ownership of much of their former lands in Black Marsh.

The growing power of House Telvanni is balanced against House Hlaalu in the west, which has expanded at the expense of House Redoran in the north.

By tradition the Grand Council of Morrowind must have five Great Houses. Following the dissolution of House Dres the politicians of Telvanni, Indoril and Hlaalu united to choose House Sul as the replacement for Dres. But Sul is a Great House in name only, its holdings consisting of nothing more than a village keep in eastern Cyrodiil. Generally the Sul align themselves with Hlaalu for protection.

The Cyrodiils of Tamriel’s Heartland

The history of Cyrodiil begins with three overlapping periods of migration, all happening in the Mythic Era. The first of such periods is that of the Ayleids, the Heartland High Elves, who moved from the tropical Summerset Isles to the jungles of central Tamriel. In time these Aldmer changed culturally and even physically and became distinct from their ancestors and cousins in Summerset. As was the case with most cultural “splits” in those days the Ayleids built a tower, which was both an imitation of Ada-Mantia and a declaration of identity. The crystalized blood of Lorkhan, the Chim-el-Adabal, was made the heartstone of the tower.

The second migration was that of the Nedes, the waves of Atmorans who arrived in northern Tamriel throughout the early part of the Mythic Era. These Nedes settled all along the fertile plains of the Niben River and its tributaries, as well as the shores of Lake Rumare. Fewer settled in the forests and hills of Colovia.

The third migration is that of the Cyro-Nords, Nords who moved from Skyrim into Cyrodiil. These Nords mostly moved into Colovia, which had a climate similar to that of southern Skyrim. The Cyro-Nords and Nedes of Cyrodiil interacted often and establishing which culture is which is a constant and often futile exercise for anthropologists.

The rule of the Ayleids over Cyrodiil is remembered today as especially cruel, although this may be because it was their former slaves who got to write the history books. A passage from the Memoirs of Morihaus reads:

Morihaus posted:

Men were given over to the lifting of stones, and the draining of the fields, and the upkeep of temple and road; or to become art-tortures for strange pleasures, as in the wailing wheels of Vindasel and the gut-gardens of Sercen; and flesh-sculpture, which was everywhere among the slaves of the Ayleids in those days; or, worse, the realms of the Fire King Hadhuul, where the begetting of drugs drawn from the admixture of daedrons into living hosts let one inhale new visions of torment, and children were set aflame for nighttime tiger sport.

The Adabal-a

It is possible that this cruelty was the result of the increasing prevalence of daedra worship among the Ayleids, who had always allowed such practices but had mostly remained true to the Altmer pantheon. Regardless, the Ayleids were eventually overthrown and Cyrodiil became the realm of the Imperials.

But Imperial is a relatively new concept, in truth. The people of Cyrodiil can better be thought of as three distinct, but similar, cultures. The Nibenese of southern and eastern Cyrodiil are known for their skill at diplomacy, trade and magic. The Colovians of western Cyrodiil are known for their discipline, martial attitudes and stoicism. The third culture is the blending of the two found in the Imperial City and the shores of Lake Rumare.

Nibenese society has historically been ordered in a class system unique to the region, with a battlemage aristocracy at the top just above a merchant noble class. Trade has long been a major part of the Nibenese economy, along with rice cultivation and textiles. Because of this the Nibenese are to be found in every region of Tamriel and are very much the “public” face of the Cyrodiils.

If most merchants and diplomats come from Nibenay, most legionaries come from Colovia. The Cyro-Nords who conquered the western part of Cyrodiil were much like their Nord ancestors: tough, war-eager and magic averse. But while the Nords retain their thirst for personal glory, the Colovians in time gained a respect for discipline and restraint. The heavy infantry of the Colovian Reman Cyrodiil were like nothing seen before by Tamriel.

Clayren fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 18, 2019

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
:munch: Please... go on.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

there's a lot of very interesting things about Cyrodil that didn't come across at all in that hundred-hour game we all played in it.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Rody One Half posted:

there's a lot of very interesting things about Cyrodil that didn't come across at all in that hundred-hour game we all played in it.

Which one? :v:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The only one set in Cyrodil!

E: unless Arena or ESO are I guess

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Rody One Half posted:

The only one set in Cyrodil!

E: unless Arena or ESO are I guess

I believe Arena is actually in it (as well as the rest of tamriel, wtf), though that's very much early procgen elder scrolls. And I wouldn't be surprised if ESO is big as all hell.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

xthetenth posted:

And I wouldn't be surprised if ESO is big as all hell.

Aye but it's all "bring me ten n'wah heads" and has a disappointing lack of theological acid dreams

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Obliterati posted:

Aye but it's all "bring me ten n'wah heads" and has a disappointing lack of theological acid dreams

Yeah, I was almost certain of that, between it being an MMO and not a video game version of Kirkbride's trip journal.

(Also, good to see you around, how's it been going?)

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

Reign of King Hrol II
15. The Inaction of Kings

My most humble greetings to you, your imperial highness,

I was most pleased to hear from your major domo that you had taken an interest in my history of the rule of King Hrol II. As per your request I have included an early copy of the book, although I beg your understanding as the work is nowhere near done. I would usually not dare to impose upon an individual as important as you with so incomplete a writing, but as you have requested it, I will gladly bear the embarrassment.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts, should you be able to find the time from your schedule to write me a letter.

Professor Adamus Caro
Imperial Historian
College of Adamantine City

Historians have often overlooked the rule of King Hrol II. Sandwiched between the exciting conquests of Hrol I and Leo III and the Nibenay Crisis, the 15 year reign of Hrol II is often left as a single paragraph. These paragraphs usually read something like this

Hrol II was the eldest son of King Leo the Bear. He ruled from 2E 681 to 2E 696 and was well known for his festivities and drinking. He died to a case of Witbane in late Spring of 696.

While the above is factually true, it seems to imply that those 15 years were inconsequential. I wish to argue otherwise, that the 15 years of Hrol’s reign paved the way for the Nibenay Crisis and that the INaction of King Hrol II is as worthy of study as the actions of greater kings.

At his coronation in Evening Star, 681 King Hrol was well known as the Jarl of Winterhold, a position granted to him by his victorious father over a decade prior. A humble man possessed of his mother’s good looks, he was well liked by the people of Skyrim and had many friends in the court at Balfiera. His wife was Princess Dorothe Stuhn, daughter of the aged king of Bruma. A paranoid Nordic woman who rarely left the keep for fear of attack, she could not have been more dislike her gregarious husband and the marriage between the two was frosty at best.

At least 3 and as many as 7 feasts were held in the first 2 years of Hrol’s reign. His brothers were frequently in attendance, especially his brother Baron Kasorayn of Morthal. Kasorayn was born with a hunchback and a sickly disposition, which made many in High Rock underestimate him. But Kasorayn was in truth a fantastic plotter and served his elder brother well as spymaster. The fact that no major threats to Hrol’s rule materialized during his reign can be largely attributed to Kasorayn.

The coffers of High Rock, which had filled to bursting during his father’s reign, were spent on festivities and games for the people of the kingdom. Hrol was as beloved by the peasantry as he was by his courtiers and had the Nibenay Crisis never occurred he’d likely be remembered as a jolly, kind king.

In the third year of his reign King Hrol spent several months in bed recuperating from a case of consumption. During this time he delegated a great many of his duties to courtiers and influential nobles. Two who especially benefited were Dunywyr, Duke of Koegria and Caesina the Inquisitor, who was a good friend of the king despite rumors of vampirism.

After recovering from his illness King Hrol’s merrymaking only increased, to the point that many began calling him a hedonist behind his back. Tales of skooma-fuelled orgies and lakes of wine are likely inflated, but they do speak to the degree to which Hrol spent his time organizing parties and festive events.

In 2E 686 Hrol’s only daughter Princess Ahetotis was married to Andreling II, King of the Skaal tribes of Solsthein. This effectively removed her from contention for the crown and Hrol’s brother Torvic became the presumptive heir.

In 2E 687 the daedra-worshipping King Rufius passed away and the crown was granted to Queen Leonara of the influential Afelian family. It was hoped that sanity and stability had at last returned to Nibenay, but only a month after her coronation Leonara found herself in the midst of a bloody civil war with Romana Cuptor. This is generally considered to be the real “start” of the Nibenay Crisis.

Like the rest of Tamriel, King Hrol paid little attention to events in Nibenay and instead busied himself with public works projects. The building of parks and gambling parlors around Balfiera Island and the planning of Summer festivals.

An unforeseen consequence of all of this was that it provided almost year-round employment for the beggars and homeless of the island. There was always another ditch to be dug, fountain to be erected or festival tent to be set up. The taxes of High Rock flowed into projects on the island, which benefited greatly.

It was because of this wealth and prosperity that Hrol was able to get away with his debauchery and cronyism. When he granted the city of Camlorn to his friend Caesina, who was widely believed to be a vampire, the priests of Arkay complained bitterly, but could do nothing to stop it.

His very public affair with a Reachman baroness was also cause for alarm among the priesthood, especially because she was a public follower of the Hagraven Cult. But again the wealth and power Hrol held kept such concerns from becoming anything more.

Hrol II was seemingly untouchable, but his lifestyle was not terribly healthy. In his later years he became known for his girth.

The situation in Nibenay, meanwhile, had only gotten worse. Khajiit revolts, daedric cult uprisings, foreign invasions and the ongoing civil war contributed to an endless cycle of raids, skirmishes and sackings. From the death and chaos disease bred and consumption spread all along the Niben River, although rumors at the time hint that worshipers of the daedric prince Peryite were also purposefully spreading the disease.

Despite the Queen’s advanced age she gave birth to Hrol’s first son, Prince Sebastien in 2E 693. Little Sebastien was the spitting image of his father, with handsome features and fine blonde hair. But he was born sickly and died before his first birthday. Hrol himself fell ill in 696 with a case of witbane.

Not long after taking to his sickbed High King Hrol II died in his sleep at the age of 50, having accomplished little of note and lacking any heir old enough to take his crown. A great many of the realms of Tamriel took advantage of chaos and disease in Nibenay to grab lands for themselves during Hrol’s rule. While these governments are to blame for their own actions, the lack of any challenge from the single largest and most powerful realm on the continent had much to do with how bad things got.

It is worth pausing here to consider how desperate the people of Nibenay must have been, after over a decade of destruction, to follow Castricius Aforanian in his mad scheme. How utterly without alternate source of hope for salvation they must have been to accept help from Oblivion.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I don't see how any plan schemesd up by a man called 'Castricius' could've ended poorly...

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I did wonder about the use of "Crisis" specifically.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I assume we're about to see this mod's version of the Aztecs or Mongols.

Also this LP got me to reinstall CK2 and Skyrim, so thanks for obliterating my free time.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Does this mod include any of the other continents (as a 'new world' sort of thing you discover?) Or does it just focus on Tamriel itself with nothing else to see?

There is apparently other things floating around out there but little of it has actually made it's way into any of the games as more than background Information and random bits of lore.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Does this mod include any of the other continents (as a 'new world' sort of thing you discover?) Or does it just focus on Tamriel itself with nothing else to see?

There is apparently other things floating around out there but little of it has actually made it's way into any of the games as more than background Information and random bits of lore.

Akavir and Atmora are also included but only rarely interact with Tamriel.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

Moon Slayer posted:

I assume we're about to see this mod's version of the Aztecs or Mongols.

Also this LP got me to reinstall CK2 and Skyrim, so thanks for obliterating my free time.

Imagine playing whack-a-mole for a couple of decades while Dragonborn after Dragonborn challenges the Herald of Mehrunes Dagon and is killed in personal combat. Just a heap of dead dragonborns in the throne room. Daedric Invasions can get real wild.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

You absolutely can play a ruler in the continent of Akavir and be snake person, or a monkey person or a fantasy Japanese person. I haven't mentioned them much yet because they are very far away and don't interact with Tamriel very often. You can also play a ruler in Atmora, but the continent starts the game almost entirely ruled by a horde of frozen undead and is entirely dead within a few decades. I've mentioned the sea elves a few times, you can play as their undying god-king Ornum if you want and try to fulfill his dream of invading the Summerset Isles. You can't play a lord in Thras, the coral kingdom of the misanthropic slug people, because it sunk in the first era (although it apparently was raised up again with magic at some point).

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Guess it makes sense that they don't play much of a role with each other. We're still midway through the 2nd Era and even if we fast forward all the way to the 4th Era people still have little knowledge that other places exist, let alone have contact with them. Which is odd, considering several races originate from these other continents so you'd figure they would know how to get back.

But I don't want to spoil the story so I'll refrain from any further questions.

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

I only regret not giving up sooner.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Guess it makes sense that they don't play much of a role with each other. We're still midway through the 2nd Era and even if we fast forward all the way to the 4th Era people still have little knowledge that other places exist, let alone have contact with them. Which is odd, considering several races originate from these other continents so you'd figure they would know how to get back.

But I don't want to spoil the story so I'll refrain from any further questions.

I think it's not that they don't know how to get back and more that the outlying continents are a) hostile and b) need a lot of resources to reach. It's more like "yeah there's other continents but we can't keep our poo poo together on this one at all so why worry about it".

I know that the Sea Elf continent is surrounded by deadly storms and I think has a big navy? The other elves have tried to find it before and have gotten the poo poo kicked out of them.

And everyone knows that Akavir exists, but there are a lot of angry snake people who like to eat people (allegedly, sources are sparse). At one point there was a short lived "Imperial Province of Akavir" before the army got defeated and the emperor killed, at which point they immediately hosed off and never came back.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Clayren posted:

You can't play a lord in Thras, the coral kingdom of the misanthropic slug people, because it sunk in the first era (although it apparently was raised up again with magic at some point).

There IS however a submod that lets you play a sload.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

So does the mod track the different forms of Khajit and include them like birthsigns, just there's only the one Khajit portrait maker because nobody wanted to make 16 different portrait sets and track how the genetics would even work from one to another?

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

PetraCore posted:

So does the mod track the different forms of Khajit and include them like birthsigns, just there's only the one Khajit portrait maker because nobody wanted to make 16 different portrait sets and track how the genetics would even work from one to another?

Khajit forms have nothing to do with genetics, their form is entirely based on what the moons were doing when they were born. Which would mean that the game would need to check what day of the month it was every time a Khajit was born and then assign a trait based on that, which would be a lot to mod in. The Khajit have two cultures: the northern Anequina and the southern Pellitine in game, but otherwise they are all the same race.

The Argonian physiology and culture is based on which Hist Tree they got their sap from growing up, to the point that Argonians adopted by another tribe will resemble them and not their own parents. Also, Argonians who think they were born the wrong gender can apparently just ask their Hist Tree to change their gender and they'll do it, no deductible necessary. I am not sure if that feature is in the mod, but it'd be neat if it was.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Clayren posted:

Also, Argonians who think they were born the wrong gender can apparently just ask their Hist Tree to change their gender and they'll do it, no deductible necessary.

Dear Todd Howard, please sell me one of your magic trees signed forums user Rody.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

Reign of King Torvic I
16. The Torvic Reforms

General Nyvvis Brolnovo posted:

Greetings to you, initiate and welcome to the Imperial Officer’s Academy. As is tradition for all new students of the Academy you have been granted a copy of Basir at-Ramdud’s The Torvic Reforms: A guide to the reorganization of the High Rock Army during the reign of Torvic One-Eye. When you received this text you were taking part in a tradition that dates back to the founding of the Third Empire, for the Ninth Divine himself made his officers read Basir’s masterful work during the unification of Tamriel.

So, study well and keep this tome handy! As Basir says “The lessons of the past are never neutral, like snares they are either seen friends or unseen enemies.”

General Nyvvis Brolnovo
Third Legion
3E 157

A great many military historians concern themselves with the tactics used by the realms of Tamriel in response to the Nibenay Crisis. They argue that the Dunmeri clan-structure allowed numerous armed bands to operate independently and respond quickly to the appearance of gateways to Oblivion. Others talk of Argonian guerilla forces purposefully flooding areas to give themselves an advantage. Still others spend their time debating about whether or not Alinor was correct in recalling their battlemages from the colonies in Valenwood and Pyandonea. These are all perhaps worthy avenues of investigation, but they are too limited in their scope. None of these tomes talk about what happened AFTER the Nibenay Crisis. They gloss over the massive slave revolts in Morrowind, the defeat of Helstrom by the city-state of Soulrest, the repeated civil wars in Valenwood and Hammerfell and the complete dissolution of Alinor’s colonial empire. What good, I ask you, is victory if it only leads to a later defeat?

One realm came out of the Nibenay Crisis fully intact and strong: the Kingdom of High Rock. High Rock survived the Crisis and the tumult that followed not because of how it reacted to the Crisis, but because of the preparations that PRECEDED the Crisis. The military reforms of King Torvic One-Eye were extraordinarily expensive, but they allowed Torvic to close gateways to Cold Harbor quickly, before mass destruction could be visited on the countryside. In the text which follows I will talk about these reforms and the events that surrounded them.

It is worth noting that High King Torvic the First was not a military man by training. He was practiced with a blade and had a keen interest in strategy and logistics, but his training from a young age had been that of a mage. Indeed he was a member of the Mages Guild in good standing when he took the throne and remained a member throughout his life. Because of this Torvic did not view military matters with a generals eye, he saw possibilities which other commanders would have missed.

Discipline, order and rank are key to a modern military and these will rightfully be drilled into you. But this process has an unfortunate tendency to make officers of the army inflexible in their thinking. It is like they are trapped inside of a crate and cannot see the possibilities beyond the crate. If one wishes to emulate the victories of Torvic One-Eye it is necessary to emulate his way of thinking, which I have dubbed “Out-of-the-crate Thinking”.

Torvic One-Eye was not Thinking out-of-the-crate when he proposed establishing a standing army for High Rock. A large, professional army had existed in the Reman Empire up to the Interregnum, but a number of factors had prevented the realms of Tamriel from establishing such forces during the early Interregnum. The decentralization which occurred throughout Tamriel following the collapse of the Second Empire had empowered the local nobility, who understood that a standing army was a threat to their power and autonomy. The cost of maintaining a standing army was high, but establishing one was even higher and few realms had the taxation structure which could support such an endeavour.

Shortly after his coronation High King Torvic undertook a series of legal reforms which increased the power of the central government. This nearly decade long process would eventually allow for the establishment of a standing army.

Torvic One-Eye is now known for his legions, the main component of which was the heavy infantryman. But he also recognized the value of light infantry as scouts, saboteurs, harassers, couriers and raiders. Early in his reign he expanded courier and anti-banditry services in High Rock, which ensured that he would always have a large number of recruitable veteran auxiliaries.

Torvic also recognized the value of a commander’s reputation among his men. The Nords of Skyrim held the King in high esteem for his bravery and honorable conduct. When the Lord Mayor of Bannerwatch challenged Torvic to a duel and was soundly beaten he spared the old lord’s life. Many young Nords would eventually be part of Torvic’s 2 legions.

Contrast this with the conduct of the various leaders involved in the Nibenay Crisis. As the chaos deepened the conduct of these leaders became more cruel and arbitrary.

In 2E 701 the Torvic Reforms were passed with only minor obstruction by the nobility of High Rock. The nobles were placated with a law limiting the levies they would henceforth be required to provide, while the power of the High King to establish and maintain standing forces was greatly increased. Torvic established two forces: the First Legion and the Second Legion, both of which would be headquartered on Balfiera Island. Each legion was to be composed of 2,ooo heavy infantry of the Colovian sort, 1,000 skirmishers, 200 heavy cavalry drawn from the Order of Adamantine and 250 battlemages. Liege and vassal levies would supply auxiliary skirmishers, light infantry and light cavalry when necessary.

Recruitment began almost immediately to fill these new ranks. The Order of Adamantine, first established by Hrol the Eagle, would change from a knightly order into an established cavalry school under Torvic One-Eye. Minor nobles whose sons lacked the talent or connections to become officers would send them to the Order, where they were guaranteed a good salary and a chance for glory. The Nordic hero Kodrir the Just traveled throughout Skyrim encouraging young men to join the legions for a chance at glory.

The ranks of the legions filled steadily throughout 701 and 702. In 702 the vampire baroness Caesina the Inquisitor was assassinated, likely by an unknown vampire hunter or paladin of Arkay. The province of Camlorn over which she had ruled was infested with the undead and the First Legion was tasked with cleansing the province. Heavy patrols and crypt-delving teams made short work of the infestation and Torvic’s middle son Ferou was entrusted with Camlorn.

When Oblivion Gates began opening all over Tamriel in 2E 703 and birthed forth armies of rampaging daedra the kings of other realms scrambled to hire adventurers and mercenaries to supplement hastily raised levies. When the King of Nibenay declared himself the Herald of Molag Bal and raised an army of 40,000 daedra and marched on the Imperial City the other realms of Tamriel were powerless to oppose him. But High King Torvic One-Eye simply stepped up recruitment for his legions and prepared his forces to repel any invasion from Cold Harbor.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Clayren posted:

Khajit forms have nothing to do with genetics, their form is entirely based on what the moons were doing when they were born. Which would mean that the game would need to check what day of the month it was every time a Khajit was born and then assign a trait based on that, which would be a lot to mod in. The Khajit have two cultures: the northern Anequina and the southern Pellitine in game, but otherwise they are all the same race.

The Argonian physiology and culture is based on which Hist Tree they got their sap from growing up, to the point that Argonians adopted by another tribe will resemble them and not their own parents. Also, Argonians who think they were born the wrong gender can apparently just ask their Hist Tree to change their gender and they'll do it, no deductible necessary. I am not sure if that feature is in the mod, but it'd be neat if it was.
Yeah I mean like tracking hair color and nose shapes or however the portrait makers work. That'd be a bit tricky when any Khajit form can have a kid of any other form because it's not hereditary, it's moon-based, ofc there should only be one or two cultures in the portrait maker.

I was just wondering if they had a special trait on top of the star signs.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 22, 2019

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
This is gettin' gud! :munch:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Put a ring on that dragon boy! There's got to be one eligible lady in the family, or even the court if necessary.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
How likely is it that a daedric invasion will happen in a game?

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

Erwin the German posted:

How likely is it that a daedric invasion will happen in a game?

It takes a LOT of brownie points with your Daedric Prince of choice to start an invasion. The AI will try to save up for an invasion, but often times will not live long enough or actively pursue favor points enough to get there. I did a little snooping and Castricius was a Molag Bal worshipper when he became king and did have some points saved up. I might have given him a little help, but in the original timeline Molag Bal had invaded Tamriel about 100 years before this so I feel like it's justified. Besides, why would the gods create a new Dragonborn just to have him sit around and do nothing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Clayren posted:

I might have given him a little help

This sounds like something the gods are apt to do in this universe, so why not just consider it canon?