Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

Reign of Emperor Tiber I
26. The Brass Tower

Maxelle Barclay posted:

When the Brass Tower Walked: accounts of Numidium in the Third Era
Maxelle Barclay, Imperial Scholar

We are nearly a century removed from when the Numidium walked the lands of southern Tamriel, yet many questions remain. In the text which follows I have collected eyewitness accounts of the Numidium during the last years of the Tiber Wars. It is worth prefacing this book by mentioning that accounts of the brass walker are almost universally vague or confusing. The Tower in action either disturbs the senses or cognition of onlookers or, more extraordinarily, warps reality around itself. As such, scholars of the Numidium must be comfortable with a certain measure of uncertainty.

Sigaar Skjorsson posted:

The Sigaar Heresy

The big walking...thing made me nervous as soon as I laid eyes on it. It seemed taller than it actually was somehow, like an optical illusion. But when Tiber started talking about Aurine putting a part of her soul into it I was really freaked out. I’m no mage or anything, but that seemed like a bad idea to me.

Aurine was seemingly just fine with it, although I think she may have had some worries. I asked her about the Numidium after the...process? Ceremony? The whole thing with the Mantella and the totem and such. I wanted to know what she and Tiber were doing, what the Numidium was and what it could do.

So she told me. About the Dwarves, who built their own god and gave it the heart of Shor himself. About the Towers and the bones of the land, how they could change stuff. She also told me about Hjalti, who he really was and how we’d screwed up the plans of the Divines big time. All these things were buzzing around my head and then the damned thing started walking.

The Imperial Library Press posted:

The Life and Reign of Emperor Tiberius the First: Volume V

The Conquest of Elsweyr was one of the Tiber Wars (2E 804 - 3E 16) which started in First Seed 3E 10 and lasted 13 months. As the Numidium was active in the conflict details are sparse, but it is known that the Mane J’zaraer the Jackal was a particularly weak Mane who was at war with Valenwood when the conflict began. The 1st,2nd,3rd and 4th Legions all are reported to have taken part as well.

Maxelle Barclay posted:

Do-Lankin, Mane's Warrior Guard

The Palace of the Mane is surrounded by vast forests of Moon Sugarcane which stand so tall you cannot see the city of Torval. As guards sworn to the Mane we spent months at a time in the palace grounds, never seeing anything other than the green sugarcane gardens and the blues of sea and sky. So when the Big Walker appeared, all insistent brass and violent potential, there was not an eye in the palace unfixed upon it.

It was early in the afternoon, a light rain was falling and his majesty was meditating in his garden shelter. We had been there for only an hour when the wind changed. The stalks of Moon Sugarcane, which usually was silent or rustled soothingly with the wind, began to shake violently and even snap. From the north we began to hear the drumming, loud as a thunder crack. Long minutes passed as the beating got louder, then he appeared, the Big Walker. It shimmered all over, like a desert mirage, its open chest giving us view of the terrible glow of its heart.

Many angry young Khajiit are quick to speak ill of Mane J’zaraer. They complain about him surrendering to the Renlius, saying he should have fought longer. These youngsters speak hastily, for they were not alive to see the Big Walker. No Mane, however brave, could have done anything against that tower.

Maxelle Barclay posted:

Mandolion Ivory-Hands, Bone carver

I was at my market stall in Haven when the Brass Tower appeared, wading through the Topal Sea. It was pure chaos, people were screaming and panicking as the thing approached the shore. But we should have been more worried about the sea. Long before the Tower set foot on shore the massive waves it created slammed into the harbor, tossing ships against buildings like they were toys.

It was fast, faster than I could have imagined. Before I could get out from behind the stall a wall of water slammed into me, slamming me against a stone wall and then slamming my stall against me. I felt a terrible pain as two of my ribs broke and then I blacked out. My last view was of the Tower, raising one open hand towards the city keep. When I was woken by a search team it was late at night, but the city was lit by the burning towers and walls. A banner, black dragon on blood red, flew over the smoldering city keep.

Maxelle Barclay posted:

Pekai-Vilax, Farmer

I could see Lilmoth burning in the distance, thick smoke pouring into the sky. We Saxhleel don’t build like the Men and Mer, with stone and metal as a challenge to Sithis. A Saxhleel city is made of wood and when it burns there is nothing left. But Lilmoth’s buildings were built on stilts above the marshlands and rarely a day went by without at least a light shower, so fire was rare and always contained to a few buildings.

This was no normal fire, of course. The Brass Walker patrolled the coasts of Argonia, enslaving every city with fire and threat. Many Saxhleel fled inland in the days that followed, for the Imperials feared to tread into the depths of the marsh, even with their bloody giant. I stayed with family in Helstrom for a year, until the Brass Walker went away, its masters satisfied with the wealth of Soulrest and Archon.

Sigaar posted:

The Sigaar Heresy

I spent decades following Tiber’s armies around Tamriel, conquering and sieging and scouting. But nothing could have prepared me for what war with the Numidium looked like. I had thought of it as just a thing, a new weapon for an old job. But it was so much more, so horrifyingly powerful.

It warped Tiber, I’m sure of that now. He’d started going a bit mad after the Dragonfires, but this is what really pushed him off the deep end. I think Aurine started to see it too, started to question if he should have all that power.

Maxelle Barclay posted:

Glamion Larethire Ateldil Joraire Elsinire Highthar, Master Magician and Lecturer on Alteration at the Sunhold Mages Guild

When the High Queen failed to stop the Numidium in Valenwood she called upon all the mages of Alinor to gather in Firsthold to prepare plans to defend the isles. I was an apprentice under Master Marbarin at the time, so when he traveled there I went with. We didn’t have much time, however. The Numidium appeared outside of Skywatch only a week after we arrived in the city.

The master mages, realizing they wouldn’t have the time to come up with a plan, made a play for time. You ever notice that the official imperial history of the Tiber Wars claims the invasion of Alinor only took a month, but no less than 457 battles are recorded as having taken place? There were Psijics among the masters who knew how to create a sort of bubble in time, a place where time moves so slowly that it almost seemed not to move at all.

The mages would formulate a plan of attack and leave this bubble to enact it against the Numdium. We tried everything. Using alteration to make the golem so heavy it buried itself deep in the heart of Nirn, levitating it high into the air and letting it drop, siphoning the souls out of the machine’s heart, summoning thousands of scamps INSIDE the machine, teleporting it inside of Red Mountain. But nothing seemed to put a dent in it and time can’t be stretched out indefinitely. Eventually we ran out of time and the High Queen surrendered Alinor to Tiberius Renlius.

We came out of the bubble one last time and were told the news; He had done it, that monster had conquered the world.

The Life and Reign of Emperor Tiberius the First: Volume V

In the year 3E 13 the Numidium, fresh from its victory over the High Kingdom of Alinor, was assaulted by an undead monster which flew through the air hurling explosive magic at the Numidium and its guardians. The behemoth was brought low despite the efforts of the imperial guards and it fell to the ground in a great crash. In falling the Numidium crushed the monster, but it also killed a great many of the imperials, including the emperor’s sister and trusted Grand Magister Aurine Renlius and his other sister Baroness Antonia.

The pieces of the great machine were lost to the sea and the Tiber Wars came to an end.

Sigaar posted:

The Sigaar Heresy

Skjor...my little brother, came to me and told me about Aurine. She had stayed back in Cyrodiil while I was in the Summerset Isles overseeing the construction of imperial forts (and the building of Blades information networks, of course). So it’d been a few years since I’d seen Aurine.

Skjor said she’d gone crazy with most of her soul trapped in that damned Mantella, transformed into a powermad lich. Worse, he told me she’d become paranoid and started killing off nobles, courtiers and mayors who weren’t loyal enough to her and Tiber was too fond of her to stop it.

I should’ve realized that Skjor was loyal to Tiber. The man had brought him back from the dead, after all. But I believed my brother, I’d worried about Aurine giving away a chunk of her soul the whole time and this just seemed to confirm my deepest fears. I thought that I had a duty to put her to rest, to make it easy on her so she could go quick and without pain.

It was all bullshit, of course. I was a divines-damned moron and I fell for that poo poo, only to find out later what had really happened. When he got back from the Summerset Isles Tiber had started using the Numidium to destroy nobles in Cyrodiil who weren’t as loyal as he would have liked. When Aurine objected to him using the machine like that he ignored her and had her barred from entering the White-Gold Palace. As noble a woman as she was, she refused to allow her soul to be used for such tyranny and destroyed the Numidium. The Blades grabbed the Mantella before she could regain her soul and hid it away somewhere, so she started hunting them down and killing them.

But I didn’t learn any of that until later, when it was too late. Tiber must’ve figured I was the only one with the skill to kill her and he was probably right, because I DID kill her. I murdered Aurine, in cold blood and I don’t have any excuse for that. I tracked her down to the Wrothgar Mountains and applied a poison of instant lethality to my blade. She was surprised to see me, then furious when the dagger slid through her ribcage and into her heart. With what was left of her life she fought back, because that’s the sort of woman she was. One hand raised towards me, glowing bright as the sun and I only had time to lift my own hand to shield my face before the spell went off.

I lost that hand, but it at least protected half of my face. One eye, one hand and a lot of burned skin was my price for betraying the love of my life. I spent a year in Balfiera, healing, not knowing what had happened to the Mantella. During that time Tiber pretended to still be my old friend, even gave me his cat Taddy to keep me company. But he knew that once I got out of that bed I’d find out the truth, so he kept his distance. Besides, he was too busy hunting for the parts of the Numidium. Some undead sorcerer had come by shortly after my near-death and blasted the Mantella and the Blades guarding it to ashes.

Tiber thinks it was Hjalti, but I am sure it’s Aurine. I killed her when most of her soul was still in that damned Mantella, so now she can’t die. The Mantella can’t just be destroyed like a normal objected, I’m sure it is too powerful for that. Best I can figure the Blades were transporting the gem back to the Imperial Island by ship when she blasted it and it was lost in the ocean. So that’s where I went, Taddy and I joined up with a group of Khajiit smugglers who seemed like they knew the Topal Bay well.

I’m going to find that gem or die trying. I may have been misinformed, but I’m still the one who killed her. I have to find that gem and get her soul back to her so she can rest in peace. Once I do that, I'm going to kill Tiber in his sleep.

Tadhargo posted:

The Tale of Tadhargo the Wereman

[i]As the tyrant Tarbi was swimming in his big armor suit across the Topal Sea the noble thief Tadhargo took his shot. With what little power his friend the Alfiq had managed to bring him, he reached through the joints in the armored suit and tickled Tarbi (which is a hard thing to do to Lorkhaj, even when he lacks a heart). Tarbi laughed for a moment and lost his concentration so the armor remembered how heavy it was and sank to the bottom of the sea. To avoid drowning Tarbi had to abandon his fancy bigshot armor and the soul gem he used to power it and he fled back to Cyrodiil.

Tadhargo then used a shout to convince an eel to retrieve the soulgem and he retrieved his Khajiitness from it. But in doing so he let the Smokeghost Husar free to menace the people of Tamriel. Tadhargo, once more his handsome self, put together a crew of brave and dashing Khajiit to pursue the monster and return it to its prison. The Alfiq Daro’Qanliz whose life Tadhargo had once saved and who had in turn saved Tadhargo became his most loyal lieutenant and the two traveled to every port doing deeds of great cleverness and adventure.

The Alardists posted:

Lessons of the esteemed Prophet Alard

One day Brother Shadul was caught praying by Sister Alenus, who mocked him for this. Brother Shadul was irritated and asked the Prophet “Master, is wrong that I should pray to Lorkhaj and give thanks to him for his gift?” The Prophet thought on this for a time, then said to the assembled acolytes this:

“Many are the gods of Nirn and most are not worth a poo poo. The Aedra and Daedra alike have chosen a comfortable prison cell over True Freedom. The flesh-made-divines are worse, for they saw the path to Freedom but chose a gilded cage over honest striving and in doing so imposed their Violence upon the rest of us. I do not know if Lorkhan can hear prayers or if he cares enough to do so, but I know that he alone is worthy of veneration.

For cycles unending the creation and destruction had gone on when the spirit Lorkhan saw at last the path to Freedom, an escape from the cycle. But kindly Lorkhan did not abandon us and make his way to freedom. Knowingly did he build this Arena, a testing ground for the souls of Men and Mer, and knowingly did he rip out his own heart to show us the way. What greater love can there be than for a being to sacrifice its Freedom so that all others might have a chance at Freedom?

Give thanks to Lorkhan, who gave of himself that you might know Freedom some day. Spit curses at the Tribunal, the Sleeper and Talos, who imposed their Truth upon the world so that they might be momentary gods at the expense of all Men and Mer. When the Towers fall the cycle will repeat and their works shall be gone, ask Molag Bal where his carapace went to if you doubt me. For surely as Mehrunes Dagon was to Lyg so too shall another come and not even Adamantium is infinite.

Disdain all which is fleeting! Seek your escape from the cycle! Seek True Freedom!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Seems to me that it's time to use a Pretty Borders CB against Bruma.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Wow, that was crazy.

The Sandman posted:

I'm more concerned that the Argonians somehow think they're better than our magic tower-robot.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
That is also a pillar of reality or something? Having that be half-destroyed can't be good.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

The Sandman posted:

It shall be the last thing conquered since it's been there from the beginning of the great expansion, taunting with its sheer existence.

Unless, of course, its ruler chooses to make the Rift their primary title in which case all bets are off.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
In game terms, what are the benefits of this magic giant robot?

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

Reign of Emperor Tiber I
27. Talos

The Life and Reign of Emperor Tiberius the First: Volume VI

The latter reign of Emperor Tiber I is widely considered to be a period of great stability and economic recovery. The damage done during the Tiber Wars was repaired and settlements throughout Cyrodiil which had been destroyed during the Nibenay Crisis were rebuilt. Legionary forts were also constructed throughout the outer provinces during this period.

Vast sums were spent on the Imperial City, which in those days paled in comparison to the old Renlius stronghold of Balfiera Island. Monuments to the emperor, the legion and the Divines were erected throughout the city. Legionary veterans, especially those from Colovia, were enticed to settle in the city to provide manual labor for these projects.

While the Imperial Legion did not engage in warfare during this period the vassals of the emperor did. The High King of Skyrim was especially aggressive, seizing large tracts of land from the Kingdom of Bruma and the Reach. King Jan Arrian of Bruma’s pact of non-aggression with the emperor did him little good, as the provincial lords of SKyrim and Morrowind plundered his holdings.

In 3E 17 Princess Antonia, the heir apparent to the Red Diamond Throne, fell ill with chrondiasis. Despite the best efforts of the court physicians the princess died and the title of presumptive heir fell to her younger brother, Prince Tettienus. While Antonia was a clever diplomat trained from a young age to take over the empire from her father, Tettienus was a humble researcher who had spent much of his youth studying at the Arcane University.

White Gold’s Heart: The History of the Imperial City

One unintended side-effect of the expansion of the Imperial City’s canal and sewer system was the forming of an expansive system of criminal syndicates. The inflow of laborers into the city provided ample opportunities for loan sharks, cutpurses, skooma dealers and unlicensed taverns. As older, crumbling sewer tunnels were made redundant by newer, improved tunnels, these rough types moved in and set up shop.

The construction of the modern Imperial Prison was undertaken in 3E 23 as a result of this influx of criminal scum.

3E 22 brought about the marriage of Prince Tiber Renlius to Princess Micella of Stormhold. The Boma dynasty had formed Stormhold in the chaos of the revolts against the Dunmer which preceded the imperial invasion of that province. A coalition of Nibenese nationalists and Argonian slaves had rallied behind this minor noble house in overthrowing the Dunmer and establishing Stormhold. Relations between the kingdom and the empire had been strained due to Tiberius’ claim to rulership of all Cyrodiil, but this marriage did much to ensure peace with Stormhold.

This peace with Stormhold allowed for continued expansion of trade in the Nibenay River region, which had been damaged by the imperial embargo and conflict with Soulrest early in the reign of Tiberius I. The emperor pursued higher taxes on merchants during this time, but also poured money into the improvement of ports and trade posts throughout Nibenay. There was the normal grumbling of the burghers over this policy, but in truth most of them were making more gold than ever.

In 3E 25 an uprising occurred near Haven, in the forested borderlands between Elsweyr and Valenwood. Khajiits living in the region had taken up arms in service to the prophet Mulamurr, who sought to make all of southeastern Valenwood a part of Elsweyr. While the Mane was quick to denounce this uprising it was generally believed that some amount of funding for this uprising came from his court in Torval. Although the High King of Valenwood put down the revolt easily enough, the Fourth Legion was re-based near Torval at a newly built legionary fort to discourage any future disturbances.

In 3E 26 an brought news both good and ill. The youngest of the emperor’s four children; Princess Narina, was married to the count of Camlorn. Prince Tiberius, the younger of the emperor’s two sons, was assassinated on the orders of a mad reachman from a minor family. Periphanes Yaljar, an apparent Reachman nationalist who despised the emperor for making the Reach part of the province of Skyrim, had organized the murder. He did not live much longer after the event.

These years of peace and stability bore fruit, for during his late reign the coffers of the empire were ever full. These monies were spent on projects which improved the provinces and the people were grateful to Tiberius, whose mercy is a guide for all who would rule.

In mid-Winter of 3E 31 Sigarr Skjorsson, sworn battlebrother and lifelong companion to the emperor, passed away at age 76. It is said that the emperor mourned his passing greatly and dedicated a legionary fort in his name in Skyrim.

In late Summer of that same year the emperor’s first and only literary work was made, a manual of war for commanders of the legion. Even into his eighties Emperor Tiberius was an active man, always busy writing proclamations or designing fortifications. His age and active lifestyle at last caught up to him in the last days of year 31 and he passed on in his bed.

But Tiberius the First did not pass on to Aetherius, as most Men and Mer do. We know now that Tiberius ascended unto the heavens upon his death and became Talos, the Ninth Divine long foretold.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Oh CKII. A character that formed an Empire, conquered a huge amount of territory, and was insanely wealthy, but his death screen just says "eh, he was ok I guess."

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

Official and LP Lore Interlude 7: Tiber Septim, Tiberius Renlius and Talos

With our emperor/god figure now dead it's worth looking at him and the Elder Scrolls figure he most mirrors: Tiber Septim. We’ll be looking especially at the parallels between the two and the ways in which Tiberius Renlius diverges from the Elder Scrolls canon.

The exact origin and identity of Tiber Septim is murky, many stories claim to tell the “real” story, but which is true is unknown. The orthodoxy says that he was born in Atmora under the name Talos and traveled across the Sea of Ghosts to Skyrim, where he spent his childhood. If this is true it would make him the first man to arrive from that frozen continent in hundreds of years. In Skyrim he trained in the arts of war and the Thu’um under the chieftains and Tongues of Skyrim. He led a force of Nords at the age of 20 against the Reachmen who had invaded Old Hrol’dan, marking his first military victory.

Growing storms warned that the Greybeards were going to speak and the surrounding villages were evacuated, but Talos traveled up the mountains and was told by the reclusive monks that it was his destiny to travel south and conquer Tamriel. Talos did so, becoming a general under King Cuhlecain of the Colovian Estates and leading his forces to victory against the Nibenese. Worried about the growing power of King Cuhlecain, the Nords and Bretons united to face Talos and the Colovians at Sancre Tor. There he used his Thu’um and convinced the Nords that he was the rightful emperor of man, but the Bretons were unconvinced and one of their assassins murdered Cuhlecain before he could be crowned emperor. The assassin also slit Talos’ throat, robbing him of his Thu’um, but he led mankind with a whisper to unite all of Tamriel under his rule.

That’s the end of the official story, but there are other ones. Hjalti Early-Beard is said to have been born on the island of Alcaire in High-Rock and served King Cuhlecain as a general, aided by his secret ally the Underking Ysmir Kingmaker. Ysmir was something like a ghost, the remnant of the legendary hero-king of Skyrim known as Wulfharth, Ysmir, the Grey Wind, the Storm of Kyne, the Kingmaker, the Ash-King and many other names. A defeat at the hands of the Dwemer and Chimer destroyed Ysmir’s heart and he became like a cloud or a storm of ashes, a ghostly being consumed with vengeance against the Chimer and their tribunal gods.

Hjalti, aided by Ysmir, betrayed his lord Cuhlecain and assumed his position as emperor. He would lead the forces of mankind against the Argonians, Khajiit and Bosmer, before fighting a short but intense conflict with the Dunmer. The Tribunal gods of the Dunmer, having lost control of the Heart of Lorkhan to Dagoth Ur and losing power, sought peace with Hjalti. Morrowind became a largely autonomous province, with its own laws and government system left intact and the Dwemer Tower Numidium, now sans heart, was handed over to Hjalti. Ysmir, angry at Hjalti for not fighting the Tribunal, left his side.

Hjalti’s chief mage, Zurin Arctus, studied the Numidium and realized that it could accomplish great things, if powered by a sufficiently powerful soul. The two set a trap for the Underking, sending word to him that Hjalti had rethought his decision and decided to go to war against the Tribunal.Ysmir arrived at the imperial palace and was ambushed by Imperial guards. A battle ensued, in which Zurin Arctus cast a Soul Trap spell on the Underking. As he died, Wulfharth's soul tore a hole through the Battlemage's chest, killing him instantly. The emperor collected the Mantella, the massive soul gem Zurin Arctus had made and used it to power the Numidium and conquer Summerset Isle. Eventually the Brass Tower was destroyed, its parts scattered and the Mantella lost when the undead Underking assaulted in. When he died Hjalti’s soul became the divine Talos, possibly by merging with the souls of Zurin Arctus and the Underking.

In this Let’s Play we are given four possible accounts of Tiberius Renlius, who forged the Third Empire of Man in the middle years of the 800’s 2E. This came at the end of over 400 years of expanding Renlius (a Cyrodiilicized version of Renault) rule over High Rock and western Skyrim. While I won’t be explicit about which, if any, account is correct, some clarification is earned.

The official story is that Tiberius was born, along with his twin sister Aurine, to the High King Aime Renault of High Rock and the Colovian princess Antonia, a descendant of Emperor Reman Cyrodiil. From an early age he showed signs of greatness and was declared dragonborn by the Greybeards upon coming of age, at which point he traveled to High Hrothgar to study the Thu’um. The heirs of the Njimal bloodline, jealous of their claim to the blood of dragons, conspired against the Renault family and killed King Aime in a dishonorable duel. Enraged, Tiberius and his fellow student of the voice Sigaar the Swift returned from High Hrothgar to challenge the Njimals. In a duel against the head of that clan Tiberius won with a shout of incredible power and the Nords and Bretons swore oaths of service to him.

With his sister Aurine as master mage and his oath-brother Sigaar at his side, Tiberius conquered Cyrodiil and made war on Morrowind. After several massive and victorious battles he convinced the Tribunal gods to agree to a peaceful annexation. Morrowind retained much of its independence and Tiberius received the Numidium, a powerful Dwemer artifact which he used to conquer the rest of Tamriel. On its way back from the Summerset Isles the Numidium was attacked by a monster and was destroyed, along with Aurine.

Other sources claim that Tiberius was not destined to be emperor, but rather stole this destiny from another through strange means. The dragonborn Hjalti Early-Beard was chosen by the divines, but his path was blocked by the plans of Tiber, Aurine and Sigaar. By rewriting the past Tiber and Aurine became the heirs of the childless old king of High Rock and prevented the death of Skjor, the younger brother of Sigaar. With this newfound position of power Tiberius went on to conquer Tamriel, using the souls of Hjalti Early-Beard and Aurine to power the Numidium. When Aurine objected to Tiberius using the machine to destroy less than loyal vassals and destroyed it he used Skjor to convince Sigaar to murder Aurine, claiming that without her soul she had gone mad and become a lich. Sigaar, either because of his talent for covert murder or because Aurine still trusted him, got close enough to the master mage and killed her with a poisoned blade, receiving a powerful spell to the face for his betrayl which cost him a hand and an eye. When the truth was revealed to Sigaar later he left the service of Tiberius to wander Tamriel in search of the Mantella so that Aurine’s soul might be returned to her and she could rest in peace.

Another source focuses on Sigaar, claiming he was actually a Khajiit hero stricken with a curse that caused him to transform into a human at times. Seeking a cure, he hunts down the last dragon in Tamriel, who lives atop the tallest mountain. He asks for a drop of dragon blood to chase the human blood from his veins, but he cannot speak dragon and so the dragon chases him off. He therefore finds a human who can speak this tongue and begs his help, which the human agrees to in exchange for his loyalty. Planning on betraying his oath, Sigaar agrees and the two travel back to the mountain.

Atop the mountain the two converse with the dragon, who offers Sigaar his blood to chase the wereman curse from him. But as the man-ness and Khajiit-ness of Sigaar are being split apart the crafty human steals Sigaar’s Khajiit-ness with a soulgem and refuses to return it until he is satisfied that the oath Sigaar swore has been fulfilled. Sigaar thus serves the human Tiberius, leading his armies and conquering much of Tamriel for him. Eventually Tiberius gets his hands on the Numidium and traps the soul of the Smoke Ghost, a powerful undead spirit, to power it along with Sigaar’s Khajiit-ness. A cat-like Khajiit who was once saved by Sigaar steal a portion of the soul gem and returns it to Sigaar, who used it to trick Tiberius into sinking the Numidium into the ocean. A friendly eel then retrieved the soulgem, returning Sigaar to his true form at last. But this also unleashed the Smoke Ghost, a truly evil creature which Sigaar dedicated the rest of his life pursuing.

The teachings of the Breton mystic Alard are so filled with allegory, parable and insane gibbering that attempting to establish a clear narrative is unwise. Instead it is a better use of our time to outline the general beliefs of the prophet and his followers.

The Cycle and Escape

According to the prophet Alard, the creation, destruction and recreation of the universe is a cycle which repeats infinitely. No being, not even a god, can escape this cycle and all are doomed to be reincarnated into the next cycle, after the force of Anu (stasis) overwhelms Padomay (change) and return the universe to nothingness. It was Lorkhan who first learned the secret of how to escape the cycle and achieve True Freedom. He could have escaped on his own and left the other beings to their fate, but instead he purposefully failed in his escape, so that others might see his failure and learn how to escape from it. Because of this the Alards revere, although they do not worship, Lorkhan for making the ultimate sacrifice so that others could achieve a freedom he could not. The prophet and his followers disdain the Aedra and Daedra alike for choosing temporary dominion over a doomed universe over True Freedom outside of the cycle. Through study, meditation and obscure mysticism the Alardists seek to achieve this freedom.

The Conjoined Opposites

Many forces in existence and outside of it are defined by a relationship wherein they are both opposed and fused with an opposite force. The forces of Anu and Padomay, for example, are seemingly opposites, yet they are fused into the Aurbis (the cosmos or totality of all things). Most controversially of all, Alard claimed that Lorkhan and Akatosh are the same god or fused in some way. Akatosh is of course the dragon god of time, because when he was born he brought time into existence. But Lorkhan is, according to some, the manish god of space because he was the one who conceived of the physical universe and caused it to be created. Alard claims that the Dwemer learned by “strange maths” and mankind learned by simple common sense that space and time are the same thing.

A simple example of this duality is the common currency of the empire. A gold Renlius depicts a man (Tiberius Renlius, incarnation of Lorkhan) on one side and a dragon (Akatosh) on the other, two sides of the same coin facing opposite directions. If time and space are the same thing then anything which can change space in a massive way could theoretically do the same to time. So when Tiberius Renlius used his Thu’um upon the White Gold Tower and changed Cyrodiil from jungle to rolling plains and forests, he might very well have changed the past, or even the future.

Thief, Warrior and Mage

Another relationship in which powerful forces are often arranged is that of the trinity of the Thief, Warrior and Mage. In this relationship the Warrior is an upstart who challenges the reigning Mage and a third party, the Thief, lends aid to one of these combatants and is usually injured for his assistance. This sort of cosmic narrative is sometimes called an “Enantiomorph” and it occurs in several places throughout history. The earliest was between Lorkhan, Akatosh and Trinimac at the dawn of time. After he organized the creation of the universe Lorkhan became the king of mortals, but was opposed by Akatosh and his champion Trinimac. Trinimac served as the “thief” to Akatosh and ripped Lorkhan’s heart from his body, casting it to Nirn where it formed the Red Mountain. Trinimac suffered for assisting Akatosh later, when the daedric prince Boethia, an admirer of Lorkhan, devoured and excreted him as a weakened Malacath.

In Morrowind near the end of the Third Era another Enantiomorph occurred when the Nerevarine, aided by the god Vivec, defeated the awoken Dagoth Ur and prevented him from building a new Numidium. Vivec went away later, although the exact cause has been long debated. The daedric prince of madness, Sheogorath, is said to be part of another enantiomorph every era, when an observer chosen by destiny aids him in battle against his opposite Jyggalag, the daedric prince of order. What happens to the observer is unknown.

Truth and Violence

One of the key teachings of the prophet Alard is that the imposition of truth is a form of violence. Because of this the prophet’s teaching style was purposefully vague and confusing, so that students might learn without having Alard’s “truth” imposed upon them in a violent fashion. Most violent of all are those who used Towers to impose their truth upon the people, land and even time of Nirn. These include King Anumaril of the Ayleids, who used his Staff of Towers on the Bosmer Tower Green-Sap to try and transform Valenwood into a new Cyrodiil. The Marukhati Selective tried to use the same staff on White-Gold to impose their “truth” upon the god Akatosh. The tribunal used the Numidium, the Brass Tower created by the Dwemer, to impose their “truth” upon the universe and become gods.

Coming Up Next: Welcome to the Elder Council…

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

I can hardly wait to see the shenanigans breaking out here.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

Welcome to the Elder Council...

The Elder Council dates back to the Second Empire, created by the emperor Reman Cyrodiil as an advisory body to the Ruby Throne. The Council gained power under his successors and even acquired the power to pass laws which affected the whole empire under the reign of the Akaviri Potentates, although both reserved the power of veto over any council action. With the assasination of Savirien-Chorak in 2E 430 and the subsequent dissolution of the empire, the Council ceased to exist. The wealthiest merchants and landlords of the Imperial City and the lands around Lake Rumare claimed the mantle of Elder Council, but their authority was not respected outside of the Heartlands of Cyrodiil. As the Interregnum went on the Heartlands shrank, its lands seized by the Colovian Estates, the Kingdom of Nibenay and the Kingdom of Bruma. In the aftermath of the Knahaten Flu a series of urban revolts saw most of the elites on the Council hung from the city walls or driven out into the countryside. By the time of the Tiber Wars the Council had effectively ceased to exist.

Tiberius Renlius resurrected the Elder Council after the end of the Tiber Wars as an advisory body of the wealthiest and most influential figures throughout his newly forged empire. A council membership during the reign of the Ascended One was essentially a prestigious title without any power. His son, Emperor Tettienus, expanded the power of the Council by entrusting a number of bureaucratic tasks to the group and consulting them on matters of state. Although votes by the Council were without the force of law, the fact that these councilors represented the interests of the elite members of trade, religion, magical research and the nobility meant that less ambitious emperors were reluctant to ignore Council decisions in their entirety.

:regd08: Welcome to the Elder Council! :regd08:

After 450 years of chaos, darkness and Daedra invasions Tiber Septim restored the empire to the apex of its power and glory. It took his descendants 430 more years to undo all of his hard work and return Tamriel to the dark ages. I say we try and beat that record and what better way to oversee the decline of an empire than with Goon democracy?

The Elder Council has no official power in the imperial government currently, that may change with time, but for now you will serve as one of the wealthy merchants, powerful nobles, influential priests, dangerous mages or inbred failsons of a powerful family that advise the emperor. More meek, content or corrupt emperors will tend to go along with the council’s wishes, while more wilful, ambitious or stubborn emperors will be more likely to refuse or do the absolute minimum of what the Council intends. Votes will be held every 15 years or so, although emergency votes may be called if the situation needs one. Prior to any vote a series of options will be proposed by the most powerful members of the Elder Council, all of which will automatically be included in the poll. Additionally, the floor will be opened for other options proposed by the lesser members. Any option that gets seconded and thirded by two more members will be added to the poll.

Keep in mind that the empire’s bureaucracy is rapidly growing and future emperors will find it difficult to make the sort of massive, decisive actions that Tiberius Renlius did. So feel free to propose that the empire invade Atmora, but understand that there’s going to be some pushback. Even if the emperor agrees it’ll require decades of preparation to figure out how to “conquer” a frozen wasteland which is either entirely empty or populated with millions of angry skeletons (depends which historians you ask). And if an entire legion gets wiped out because all the boats get stuck in ice and the legionaries resort to cannibalism, well the Council and the emperor are both going to suffer a hit to their influence.

Once the window for proposals is closed (I’ll start with 4 days and extend it if it seems like the thread needs more time) the final poll will be set up and a link posted in the thread for 3 days (more if it seems necessary). The options proposed by the major members will usually be quite straightforward and doable, but don’t feel like you have to choose one of them. The LP will continue until the empire falls apart or no more blood descendants of Tiberius Renlius remain alive to light the Dragonfires, at which point Patrick Stewart will deliver a half dozen recorded lines and the Oblivion Crisis will begin.

Among the members of the Elder Council, the most powerful are those who are also members of the Imperial Council which assist the emperor in his day-to-day business. This includes his spymaster, chancellor, marshall, steward and magister and a select number of key advisors whose roles are less well defined. Shortly after his coronation Emperor Tettienus called for a gathering of the Elder Council to advise him on the start of his reign. Of the prominent members of the Council Marshal Nial the Bulwark, Steward Tristyval the Cautious, Advisor Mucius Renlius, Magister Asgeir Jarol, Harbormaster Marcurio and Advisor Mastengwe the Just all had recommendations for the Council.

Tristyval the Cautious, the self-proclaimed “King of the Reach” was once a skilled warrior and general in the armies of Tiberius Renlius during the war with Morrowind. Now he is a sickly old man who has hung his sword on the mantle and seeks to repair the damage done to Tamriel during those wars. The economy of Nibenay has especially been slow to recover, after the war with Soulrest and the destruction of many trade ports.

The imperial steward proposes that the empire should encourage economic growth by building additional trade posts, expanding towns and building up the imperial fleet to protect against piracy. His plan is not entirely peaceful, as it also calls for the conquest of Leyawiin, the key city of Nibenay, which has fallen into the hands of an Argonian count. The emperor is not especially known for his stewardship talents, but is diligent worker and is unlikely to oppose this plan.

Nial Cyrowich, governor of Ash and Marshall of the empire, is a stubborn old soldier who still has some fight in him. He was rather bored by the last 16 years of peace the empire has experienced and would like to see a renewed campaign in Nibenay and northwestern Argonia. The Kingdom of Stormhold, composed of Argonians, Dunmer and Nibeneans, holds lands traditionally considered part of Cyrodiil. It would be a simple affair to justify a war to reclaim those lands, although many Nibeneans and Argonians hold a high opinion of the Boma dynasty for overthrowing Dunmer rule in that area. The Argonian city of Gideon would also be a likely target of conquest under Nial’s plan. The emperor has never been much for warfare, but as a son of Tiberius Renlius he has received a thorough military education and could likely lead a legion or two to victory, there is no reason to assume he would resist this plan.

High King Mucius Renlius of Skyrim also proposes a military campaign, in this case one aimed at the remnants of Bruman Skyrim. His reason for proposing this is obviously to add more land to his realm, but many Nords would rather have a Renlius rule over a united Skyrim than leave portions of the Reach under the rule of a foreign queen. As a member of the Renlius dynasty the high king of Skyrim can expect some amount of support from the emperor on this matter.

Magister Farragut Jarol is a brilliant young mage who has accomplished much despite being only 21 years of age. He has proposed a two-part plan to invest in the empire’s magickal infrastructure and reinforce the authority of the Church of the Nine.

While most worshippers have accepted the divinity of Talos, a small minority in High Rock and Skyrim have so far resisted. Farragut has called for the construction of new temples and shrines dedicated to Talos, along with the strategic distribution of alms by priests of Talos in counties which are lacking in faith. To this plan the Magister has tacked on a request for increased funding for expansion of the Arcane University. While Farragut is a practitioner of the rightful faith, it is suspected by many that his apparently religious-oriented plan is simply a vehicle to get more funds for his beloved Arcane University. Regardless, the various priesthoods all support this plan, as does the emperor himself.

High Queen Mastengwe of Summerset Isle has proposed a plan which would seek to remove the threat of piracy from the southern sea. Sea Elf pirates from Pyandonea have been a constant threat to commerce, especially commerce between the Summerset Isles and mainland Tamriel, ever since the dissolution of the Second Empire. Queen Mastengwe has proposed that a stretch of coastline be annexed, by diplomacy if possible, but most likely by war. On this a series of coastal forts would be built to provide resupply to an anti-piracy fleet run by the legion.

The Altmer have the longest lives of all Mer and their memories are even longer. At its height the High Kingdom of Alinor (Summerset Isle) controlled the eastern half of Valenwood and much of western Pyandonea. With the admission of Valenwood to the empire as a unified province Altmeri hopes for expansion are now focused on Pyandonea. The ambitious High Queen Mastengwe will seek to exert influence over any land taken from the kingdom of the Sea Elves and a supposedly independent “society for the colonization of Pyandonea” has already been formed by a handful of Altmer nobles. The emperor has voiced concerns over such schemes; the waters which surround Pyandonea are notoriously hard to navigate due to the presence of dense mists and sea serpents. Any legions which make it to the island would be isolated, fighting in terrain for which few good maps exist (those that do portray an endless maze of rainforests and marshlands swarming with insects). Finally, even if such a conquest succeeded it would face constant threat from Maormer raids, which might pull the empire back into conflict with Pyandonea somewhere down the line.

Publicly Harbormaster Marcurio of the Imperial City has proposed a modest military reform which would increase funding for the legionary cavalry and battlemage components as well as build a couple additional bases for the Imperial Blades in Elsweyr. This would bring all four legions up to 8,000 active soldiers and hopefully prevent any future uprisings in the turbulent Elswery-Valenwood border region. A shy and unambitious man, Marcurio’s plan is likewise a minor one.

Privately, in conversations with council members whose loyalty to the emperor has been confirmed, Spymaster Marcurio has outlined a much more ambitious plan for the Blades. The bases in Elsweyr already exist, secretly, and the cost of his official plan quotes is incredibly inflated. Most of the money would instead be used to eliminate threats to the power of the emperor through espionage, assassinations and other means. The Blades would be doing much of this work and as such would step up recruitment of agents. According to Marcurio the emperor has been briefed on this plan and has raised no objections to it.

Lesser Council Proposals

Among the membership of the Elder Council is a number of professional bureaucrats, mostly from the trade republics. Collates-by-Moon (Ghesee in his native Jel) was born in Soulrest and served for a time as a bureaucrat for one of the ruling merchant houses before being recruited by the burgeoning imperial government. A talented and hardworking civil servant, Collates-by-Moon has proposed a rather strange set of reforms which he calls "County Rationalization". This "rationalization" would seek to straighten out the convoluted county borders of Cyrodiil in order to make the collection of imperial taxes, tariffs and tolls easier and better regulated. As it currently stands officials of the empire find it almost impossible to properly collect from the Gold Coast and Lower Nibenay regions, which forces them to instead auction off the task to local tax farmers. These individuals use tactics bordering on the illegal for their collections, which results in unrest among the common folk in the short term and a sluggish economy in the long term.

By "rationalizing" the counties of Cyrodiil the practice of tax farming can be minimized or perhaps even abolished and imperial tax revenue should increase. Additionally, Collates-by-Moon has called for the rationalization of Valenwood's borders through the abolition of the crown of the Colovian Estates (which is in truth simply a small collection of baronies, none of which are in Colovia) and the annexation of Arenthia back to Valenwood, once its Colovian holdings have been stripped. There will undoubtedly be pushback from the Cyrodiilic counts who will lose territory, but the high kingdoms either support the measure or are neutral on it and a small but dedicated group of young bureacrats support Collates-by-Moon. The emperor himself is only somewhat competent when it comes to matters of money and bureacracy, but has voiced no concerns with this plan.

:siren: :siren: The floor is now CLOSED for the proposing and debating of additional proposals. Proceed to poll HERE to vote. :siren: :siren:

Clayren fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 16, 2019

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I propose that before anything else you pretty up those internal borders, through revoking titles and transferring vassals.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Moon Slayer posted:

I propose that before anything else you pretty up those internal borders, through revoking titles and transferring vassals.

Seconded!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Moon Slayer posted:

thirded!

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Moon Slayer posted:

Fourthed!

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

Proposals post has been updated, one day remains for any additional proposals to be made. After which a poll will be posted in the thread.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Khajiit is pleased.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Declaration of Non-Indulgence

Throughout the Empire, word is spread by yours truly spreads far and wide that throughout the Reach, ancient and forbidden daedric cults still hold sway in secrecy. This Declaration obligates His Imperial Majesty's Government to investigate any and all Reachmen, in particular those in positions of power, for ties to such heresies, and to root them out wherever they may skulk.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

Moon Slayer posted:

Khajiit is pleased.

Argonian, actually. There is an Argonian named Slays-by-Moon , but Tamrielic names are made by the Argonian themselves and it'd be a weird name for a bureaucrat to give himself. The original Jel (Argonian language) name is given to each by their Hist tree.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

We need an Argonian named Maker-of-Groves, known for growing Hist that lean precariously.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

evilmiera posted:

We need an Argonian named Maker-of-Groves, known for growing Hist that lean precariously.

Load-bearing Hist sap

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Hist-sap-cant-melt-steel-beams the Argonian.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

:siren: Floor closed to further proposals. Floor closed for discussion. :siren:

Clayren fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 19, 2019

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

Votes have been cast, the proposal for the Rationalization of County Borders and Revenues has been passed by a simple majority.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Good. Those borders are a mess, especially the ones in Skyrim. :colbert:

I spend way too much time and effort in my CKII map-painting games ensuring that every duke only holds their duchy capital and stays in their de jure area. The number of civil wars I've provoked because one random duke inherited a county on the other side of the kingdom ...

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

Reigns of Emperor Tettienus I and Empress Aurine I
28. Territorial Rationalization

The coronation of Emperor Tettienus the First was the first real test of whether or not the empire forged by Tiberius Renlius would continue after his death. Had too many of the high kings and queens of Tamriel refused to recognize his claim or the legions supported his sister for the throne or he was unable to light the Dragonfires the whole thing might have been undone. But his sister the High Queen of High Rock and his distant relative the High King of Skyrim strongly supported his claim and the legions remained fiercely loyal to the memory of Tiberius and his chosen successor. The Dragonfires were lit once more, renewing the covenant between man and dragon and establishing that the blood of Talos ran through the veins of Tettienus.

The second test of the empire’s ability to function without the leadership of Tiberius Renlius was the “Rationalization” movement. Led by the Argonian bureaucrat Collates-by-Moon, these “rationalizers” dominated the imperial bureaucracy which was quickly growing to manage the vastness of imperial Tamriel. The large scale shuffling of land called for by this movement was certain to ruffle a few feathers among the nobility, so improving relations with the more powerful lords was a first step for the rationalization movement. Imperial embassies were established in Soulrest, Mournhold, Vivec City, Taneth, Balfiera, Wayrest, Solitude, Winterhold, Anvil, Bravil, Torval, Falinesti and Alinor. An army of translators, informants, diplomats and pages were hired to operate these far flung outposts of imperial diplomatic policy.

The first task for this expanded diplomatic corps was handling the remnants of the old Colovian Estates. Fralav Esanler ruled three counties in Valenwood, the last of the lands taken by the Estates in northern Valenwood during the Interregnum. In 3E 32 Emperor Tettienus demanded that Fralav relinquish his title as king, an act that normally would have caused concern among the other monarchs of the empire. But Fralav was a heretic who refused to recognize Talos as the ninth divine and so found no support from the Renlius’ monarchs of Skyrim and High Rock. The Mane of Elsweyr and High King of Valenwood were both openly hostile to the Colovian “king” on their shared border and supported Tettienus. Fralav accepted the emperor’s decision quietly and was stripped of his title, then made a vassal of the High King of Valenwood, who wasted little time in stripping him of most of his lands.

For his support of the emperor in the matter of the Colovian Estate crown the Mane was rewarded with the return of a number of vassals which were not formally part of Elsweyr.

Similar rationalization efforts in central Cyrodiil began in 3E 32 as well, but were put on hold during an outbreak of Yellow Fever around Lake Rumare. For two years the imperial court stayed behind the doors of the imperial palace, with messages transmitted by carrier pigeons and agents of the crown. This greatly limited the ability of the emperor to enact policy and is said to have placed great stress upon Emperor Tettienus.

The next target of the rationalization movement was the petty kingdom of the Reach, ruled by the aged King Tristyval the Cautious. A Reachman who refused to accept the Talos orthodoxy, Tristyval was a constant target of Nordic anti-Reachman bigotry. It was commonly accepted as fact by most Nords that Tristyval was a secret daedra-worshipper. A break-in at the imperial palace by an apparent assassin was blamed upon the king, who had taken it upon himself to renovate the very tunnels the assassin used to enter the structure. With evidence of treason in hand Tettienus was able to receive approval from his council to strip Tristyval of his title, firmly establishing High King Mucius’ control of western Skyrim.

Emperor Tettienus I continued to reorganize the empire throughout his reign, mostly targeting those vassals who had refused to recognize the divinity of Talos. But the emperor was not a diplomat by training or inclination. The work was difficult and he suffered from stress and bouts of depression. At age 38 in the year 3E 37 the emperor suffered from a seizing of the heart and died in his dining hall before his healer could be fetched. His daughter Princess Aurine, only 17 years of age, inherited the throne.

A talented and gregarious diplomat, Empress Aurine I was well liked in both Cyrodiil and Skyrim, where her husband Prince Mustius’ brother was High King. But Aurine refused to be led by the nose like her father and did little to pursue the project of rationalization. She did nothing to stop it and the bureaucrats who had found their way into positions of power continued to push through elements on their own, but without the support of Aurine the process slowed down markedly.

Unforeseen, a new threat to the Red Diamond Throne emerged in the year 38. Vipir Briehlsson, claiming descent from the Tiber War general Hjalti Early-Beard, traveled throughout Tamriel recruiting warriors to support his claim to the Imperial Island. Reachmen angry over the destruction of the kingdom of the Reach, runaway Argonian and Khajiit slaves, those who rejected the divinity of Talos, pro-independence Dunmer and Orsimer who hoped that Vipir might create a province of Orsinium all flocked to his banner. The threat Vipir presented was ignored by Empress Aurine until the end of Summer 3E 40, when a fleet of Maormer transports arrived at the shores of the Imperial Island. Auxiliaries were quickly raised and the First Legion marched from Fort Legion to intercept the unloading army.

But the army of Vipir numbered 30,000 in all, almost as large as all four imperial legions combined. The First Legion was crushed, with only a tenth of its soldiers being able to retreat successfully. For the next two years Vipir would lay siege to the island, eventually breaking into the city and pillaging the heart of Tamriel. The Empress and her family were forced to retreat to Fort Legion, whose high walls held out against the siegers.

Ofdel, husband to the high queen of High Rock, gathered the imperial legions in Colovia and marched east to relieve the Imperial City. Vipir’s forces, divided and diminished by long years of siege, proved no match and the upstart Nord was imprisoned for his crimes.

The walls of the capital were repaired and the city recovered slowly in the following years. In the first month of the year 44 it was announced that the Empress was pregnant with her first child, a welcome cause for celebration for the citizens of the Imperial City. Near the end of Summer a son, named Tettienus for his grandfather, was born. After a couple weeks of recovery the empress called for a meeting of the Elder Council, the first since she took the throne. A number of proposals were put forth by the members of her inner council.

The first proposal, brought forward by Count Cidius the Bear, is in truth written entirely by Empress Aurine. The empress wishes to receive council support for the annexation of the city of Leyawiin and the granting of it and all of County Leyawiin to her husband, Emperor Mustius. Most of the county is currently part of Elsweyr and Mustius is rumored to be a necromancer, so this act is sure to meet some resistance. However, if the council supports her in this matter the empress is willing to resume the process of territorial rationalization started during her father’s reign and put on pause under her own so far. This is the empress’ own plan, so if it passes we can expect her to uphold her end of the bargain and push for full rationalization. Any attempt to push for rationalization without granting Leyawiin to Mustius will be resisted by Aurine.

Marshall Phronesium has proposed a large expansion of the empire’s military forces in response to the recent invasion of the Imperial Island by the usurper Vipir. Although the empress and her family avoided capture and Vipir was eventually defeated, the fact that the heart of the empire could be invaded at all is a concern.

Currently the imperial army is composed of four legions: Legio I: Cyclops, Legio II: Call of the North, Legio III: Reman’s Fist and Legio IV: The Red Diamonds. Each legion is composed of 5,000 heavy infantry, 2,000 skirmishers, 500 battlemages and 500 heavy cavalry. Phronesium wants to raise a fifth legion and increase all legions by an additional 2,000 men, resulting in a total increase from 32,000 active soldiers to 50,000. Additionally, new forts would be built throughout the empire and existing fortifications on the Imperial Island would be expanded. Empress Aurine is neutral on this proposal, if passed she would likely see it implemented over the next decade.

A large part of the army of Vipir were escaped Argonian slaves who had hoped that he would create an independent Argonia which could protect its people from Dunmer slave raids. The governor of Soulrest, Ei-Etaku III, believes that the best way to prevent a recurrence of this invasion is the creation of a province of Argonia. He proposes a rapid invasion of Gideon and coastal Helstrom and then the organization of an Argonian Province.

As the most powerful and influential realm in Black Marsh, it goes unspoken that Ei-Etaku assumes that Soulrest will become the capital of any such province. And while he is careful to claim that Dunmer control of northern Black Marsh will be respected, it is certain that any province of Argonia will seek to drive the Dunmer out of northern Black Marsh and end slave raids into the interior of the province. The empress herself is not particularly for or against this proposal.

The Archcanon of the Tribunal Temple, which controls most of northern Black Marsh, predictably is not a fan of Ei-Etaku’s plan for a province of Argonia. He has countered with a proposal to create a “Province of South Black Marsh”, to be administered by an imperial magistrate (likely human or elf). This would reinforce the Tribunal’s claim to the north and weaken Argonian independence. Also as part of his proposal, Archcanon Trelam the Pious would call for the creation of a “Slavers Guild”, which would operate only in Morrowind and Dunmer-controlled lands. He claims that such a guild, with imperial recognition, would be able to enforce rules of capture upon the rowdy and disorganized slaving profession and ensure a certain minimum level of humane treatment. Most humans and beastfolk scoff at claims that a “slavers guild” would make slavery any more humane. The empress herself is not particularly for or against this proposal, although she shares the general human repulsion towards the slavery practiced by the Dunmer.

Count Trebatius the Bulwark has proposed a large scale reform of the imperial legal code. According to him any attempt to “rationalize” the empire’s internal borders is pointless so long as individual vassals can legally make war on one another. He is in favor of increasing the power of empress (and the bureaucracy) and diminishing that of the high council. Empress Aurine is certainly in favor of increased power for the throne and would press forward with said reforms.

The ships used to transport Vipir’s army to the Imperial Island were very clearly Maormer. The High King of Pyandonea has claimed to have provided no aid to the usurper, proposing instead that the ships seen in Lake Rumare were those of pirates who sided with Vipir. Under the pretext of punishing Pyandonea and preventing future “pirate” assistance to rebels, High Queen Mastengwe the Just has reintroduced her proposal for a war on the Maormer for the annexation of a stretch of coastline to supply anti-piracy patrols in the southern sea. The Empress is somewhat reluctant to pursue a war so far from Tamriel, but could be convinced.

:siren: :siren: The floor is now OPEN for the proposing and debating of proposals. All proposals made by the High Council above will be in the vote, any additional proposals made must receive two votes in support to be added to the vote. :siren: :siren:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'll sign off on Leyawin, Military Expansion, ending internal wars, and Argonia.

If all the governance is getting boring, rather than a sketchy plan to invade the sea elves, let's go west and pick up the weak and divided Redguard cousins.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

Rody One Half posted:

I'll sign off on Leyawin, Military Expansion, ending internal wars, and Argonia.

If all the governance is getting boring, rather than a sketchy plan to invade the sea elves, let's go west and pick up the weak and divided Redguard cousins.

What you're really doing here is choosing a general focus for the government for the next 15 or so years (sooner if the current monarch dies). All of the focus proposals listed will automatically be options availible to choose in a couple days, but if someone in the thread wants to make their own proposal (like conquering the Islands of Yokuda, as you suggested) and at least two other people support them it'll also get added. My idea with all this is to open the thread to audience participation both to the grognards who like legislative LP's and the lurkers who just want to vote and not do any debating.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Whatever we do, Id like to propose the creation of the Province of Orsinium to be ruled by the Orcs.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Whatever we do, Id like to propose the creation of the Province of Orsinium to be ruled by the Orcs.

And cede the historical territory and rightful homeland of our illustrious emperor's dynasty? I think not.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
I propose the conquest of Bruma, so that our Empire's borders might look slightly less like a fever-dream of Sheogarath.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

Sinner Sandwich posted:

And cede the historical territory and rightful homeland of our illustrious emperor's dynasty? I think not.

First Orsinium was in High Rock, as was second, third and fourth, but the fifth one was built somewhere between Hammerfell and Skyrim. During the Second Empire Orsimer was an official province of the empire, so there's precedent as well. Orsinium can be anywhere you guys want, really. Wherever it is put it will probably create a bit of tension, of course. Especially if we put it on the Summerset Isles!

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Clayren posted:

First Orsinium was in High Rock, as was second, third and fourth, but the fifth one was built somewhere between Hammerfell and Skyrim. During the Second Empire Orsimer was an official province of the empire, so there's precedent as well. Orsinium can be anywhere you guys want, really. Wherever it is put it will probably create a bit of tension, of course. Especially if we put it on the Summerset Isles!

Well, now that you've put that out there, I see no downsides to making the Orsinium Isles.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
Whichever vassal would be the most dangerous if they held their full kingdom, that's where we'll put Orsinium.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

Expanded Elder Council Session Rules
To make things more interesting the rules for voting have been changed a bit. Since the thread isn't being flooded with proposals at the moment the 2-support requirement has been lifted and all proposals have been added to the poll. You can vote three times and the two options with the most votes will be introduced. However, if the top two proposals are mutually exclusive (like the Argonian and Dunmer proposals for Black marsh) the second option will be dropped and the third one will go through.

Poll Closed

Clayren fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 29, 2019

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Orsinium forever!

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

Poll Closed

Continued Rationalization of Inter-Imperial Borders Act and the Establishment of the Imperial Province of Orsinium have passed.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

That new province better have pretty borders. :colbert:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Death-meat is happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SleuthDiplomacy
Sep 25, 2010
I would have suggested signing two ordinances with one pen and turning Pyandonea into the new Orsinium.