Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Does Extreme Rules live up to the EXTREME Spirit?
This poll is closed.
Yes, I almost didn't realize this was WWE and not late 90s ECW! 2 4.26%
No... it's even more Extreme than anything they've ever done before! 7 14.89%
Wow this show is really cool. Like.... I've never seen anything cooler than this. 7 14.89%
So wait, why doesn't Baron Corbin just kick Becky in the face and pin HER? 31 65.96%
Total: 37 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Low Desert Punk posted:

WWE has successfully broken enough brains that they can get high praise for putting out a show that's mildly less worthless than the last

I don't have high praise for Extreme Rules but it was a lot better show than some here who were dunking on it for the sake of it would lead you to believe that's all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

Dango Bango posted:

There should be way more WMOTYC nominations from WWE because of this

They have a roster that could mix and match to a pretty decent flow of 4 star matches. But no one cares and nothing has a good build so everything's a 2 or 3. No one's gonna give a worst to a 2, but they're sure as hell gonna forget it.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

boxcarhobo posted:

"Say what you want, it just feels right that Brock has the title, he's the only one that has the aura of a champion. He should've been the one to attack Becky though, not Corbin. You're just mad that Based Brock is bringing the ratings back"

Unpopular but accurate: Seth and Kofi both are not champions in that they wont draw in viewers or get people invested in their matches. This is a direct result of WWE booking, but it is also objectively accurate. Brock is the one guy they haven't hosed up because its Brock and the complete apathy towards him still makes him a better choice, he's Bruno Sammartino compared to the rest of the roster. It will kill the company as it continues, but when everyone else is 50/50 the one guy who isn't maintains power.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

rovert posted:

I don't have high praise for Extreme Rules but it was a lot better show than some here who were dunking on it for the sake of it would lead you to believe that's all.

it loving sucked lol

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I totally rolled over into my roku remote right as Seth won and missed the Brock cash in... I just though, oh well, like 3 minutes of them celebrating and hugging

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Psychepath posted:

They have a roster that could mix and match to a pretty decent flow of 4 star matches. But no one cares and nothing has a good build so everything's a 2 or 3. No one's gonna give a worst to a 2, but they're sure as hell gonna forget it.

Eh, I suppose that's fair. Just so many of their matches are outright offensive for that reason though

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Sanguinia posted:

I'll say this, if the shows ARE going to change in any significant way this week under their new management, this was a better note to start on than anyone could have expected. But having a good PPV doesn't fix the systemic problems that have made every PPV since the Rumble suck. Declining companies have had surprise good PPVs before and not seen any turnaround.

Next month is the real test, because if Summerslam is a trash fire and All Out knocks it out of the park things can get real bad real quick.

Bischoff thinks Ziggler is a dude to build around.

Drawing comparisons to Russo thinking Buff Bagwell was the next Rock when he took over WCW in late 99.

Neither watched the respective products regularly.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Neodoomium posted:

WWE has the best roster ever assembled and the best we can mount in their defense is "well it wasn't a literal zero out of ten this time"
"Extreme Rules has better wrestlers than Fighter Fest" would have been a nearly accurate statement, they certainly have more great wrestlers than AEW does, but WWE main roster matches are the absolute loving worst. They're done in such a plug and play style that you wrestlers like Baron Corbin looks as good in the ring as AJ Styles because nobody is allowed to have any kind of unique style or show personality or they might accidentally get over.

Defending Usos/Revival for being bad and heatless by saying it's the first match in a long feud is silly, you never saw Okada/Tanahashi put on a boring, lazy match because they planned on feuding for 5 years. Yeah fine, the reason it was bad was because of the WWE style but that shouldn't be the norm.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Man imagine the Usos in AEW or even in NJPW, where they don't particularly care that much about tag team wrestling either

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

rovert posted:

Consider that you may have been in a good mood or otherwise grading on a curve.

Edit:

Neodoomium posted:

Man imagine the Usos in AEW or even in NJPW, where they don't particularly care that much about tag team wrestling either
Of AEW's three shows, tag matches main-evented two of them.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

immediately punish anyone who keeps talking about the opinions of everyone here, elsewhere, or the 'majority' of the online audience like it's some kind of report or financial statement. except me. don't do that to me

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

rovert posted:

Bischoff thinks Ziggler is a dude to build around.

oh

rovert posted:

I don't watch wwe so

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Lid posted:

Unpopular but accurate: Seth and Kofi both are not champions in that they wont draw in viewers or get people invested in their matches. This is a direct result of WWE booking, but it is also objectively accurate. Brock is the one guy they haven't hosed up because its Brock and the complete apathy towards him still makes him a better choice, he's Bruno Sammartino compared to the rest of the roster. It will kill the company as it continues, but when everyone else is 50/50 the one guy who isn't maintains power.

Seth and Kofi have successfully drawn in viewers and gotten people invested in their matches throughout their runs AND long before them. They're not the problem. Kofi has been booked better than any face WWE Champ in years, and as a result he gets the big reactions and the crowd support and I'm sure New Day is still moving merch by the truckload. His problem is that everything around him is so bad. No one man can single-handedly maintain a wrestling company, it's never been true even in the vaunted days of Hogan and Austin, it's not even true of Tanahashi and he's about as close an example as you can find of a one-man show during New Japan's darkest years.

Seth is a better example of what you're talking about, the booking killing him, but even then he still gets the responses like Kofi does. The same thing goes for Becky. Having the right headliners is only part of the formula for a successful wrestling company.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

Sanguinia posted:

Seth and Kofi have successfully drawn in viewers and gotten people invested in their matches throughout their runs AND long before them.

dude the ratings loving suck and while i dont think its their fault you can't say they're draws

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

yeah like the one thing I'll say for recent WWE is they have given Kofi an absolutely classic face run, it's been very fun to watch him go out and have pretty good to really very good matches with some of my favorite WWE roster guys

nothing has been great since kofi/bryan at mania, but they haven't given any of his feuds a good story to get me invested

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

SaberToothedPie posted:

dude the ratings loving suck and while i dont think its their fault you can't say they're draws

Draw doesn't necessarily mean ratings. Draw means money. If Kofi is still the merch mover he has been since New Day took off, he's a draw in that respect and its just one possible indicator of the fact that he's enough of a star to be the Champion and headline the company, just like ratings are only one possible indicator.

TV ratings are in the toilet everyone knows this, but again I don't put this down to the champions, I put this down to the product. The biggest star in the universe can't get people to watch a bad TV show, at least not beyond a certain point. If The Rock was announced to show up on Raw this monday, how much better do you think the ratings would REALLY be?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Agreed. Hulk Hogan, Jeff Hardy, and Ric Flair all debuted in TNA and didn't move the needle for poo poo.

Are we gonna' argue they weren't draws?

A poo poo product is a poo poo product and the performers aren't the problem.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

LividLiquid posted:

Agreed. Hulk Hogan, Jeff Hardy, and Ric Flair all debuted in TNA and didn't move the needle for poo poo.

Are we gonna' argue they weren't draws?

A poo poo product is a poo poo product and the performers aren't the problem.

The specific example of Hogan in TNA is a great one, because the segment where he debuted was the best ratings number that TNA literally EVER did. They put that segment on directly against Bret's return confronting Vince in the ring AND IT WAS STILL TNA'S BEST RATING OF ALL TIME.

By the end of that SAME SEGMENT the lovely promo and the obviously bad direction the story was indicated to take under their command had made all those new viewers switch off the TV and/or tune back to Raw. The ratings for that Episode of Impact were the same garbage after that segment and for the weeks following as they were before that segments and for the weeks leading up to it. They had one bite at the apple to convince people that the TV show would become good thanks to the drawing power of one of Wrestling's biggest stars and they loving blew it.

Stars can't be draws if the show is bad enough.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Austin, Rock, Foley, and Cena could've debuted that same night and it wouldn't have made a lick of difference.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The "BROCK IS A DRAW, THE OTHERS AREN'T" argument is also dumb and sucks and is bad because it's a chicken and egg thing. If the company very clearly is wishy washy about a person (which is true of every loving person except Brock, Roman, and Shane apparently) and they're not given a chance to fly or show off an aura of being a star, the audience picks up on it.

It's not Seth's fault, God damnit. That's Vince logic. Don't you want to be better than Vince?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

EugeneJ posted:

Ooooooh good call

I feel like I saw a half-dozen AJ Styles vs. Christopher Daniels 3PW matches where the crowd was so dead/empty that they had to cut promos before the matches to wake them up

Most I popped for this thread was a Pro-Pain Pro Wrestling mention in TYOOL 2019.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

The "BROCK IS A DRAW, THE OTHERS AREN'T" argument is also dumb and sucks and is bad because it's a chicken and egg thing. If the company very clearly is wishy washy about a person (which is true of every loving person except Brock, Roman, and Shane apparently) and they're not given a chance to fly or show off an aura of being a star, the audience picks up on it.

It's not Seth's fault, God damnit. That's Vince logic. Don't you want to be better than Vince?

When people talk about Seth or anyone else not drawing, they mean that they aren't draws in this moment, regardless of circumstance. Mojo loving Rawley could probably be a draw, given the right booking, but the fact is that *today* neither of them are putting anyone in the building.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
yeah, you could put the title on pretty much anyone right now and I think that the company would not do any better or worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

This is true. Booking is so important on justifying the run of a champion. Look at Kofi’s run vs Jinder’s as an example.

Realistically, as a solo performer modern Kofi was not considered a main event talent before the pre-Mania stuff that happened due to Ali’s injury. He was respected for his past work and is booked strong as part of New Day, but people assumed if anyone was to break into the world title picture it would be Big E. I think most people expected that he’d get his Mania moment and then be a belt pillow for a quick transition to a heel champ for Roman to defeat, but they’ve continued to book him strong and he’s had a great reaction as a face champ.

Jinder was from a lower position on the card, but with the right booking I think he had the capability to be an effective and strong heel champ. The problem was that even though he held the belt for 6 months, they never once made it seem like he was capable of winning without interference. It was always a Singh Bros distraction into a Khallas every match. Every match’s booking was telling the story to fans that he didn’t deserve the title or the position on the card.