Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Does Extreme Rules live up to the EXTREME Spirit?
This poll is closed.
Yes, I almost didn't realize this was WWE and not late 90s ECW! 2 4.26%
No... it's even more Extreme than anything they've ever done before! 7 14.89%
Wow this show is really cool. Like.... I've never seen anything cooler than this. 7 14.89%
So wait, why doesn't Baron Corbin just kick Becky in the face and pin HER? 31 65.96%
Total: 37 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

The Meteroa counter into Swiss Death was unreal. Cesaro should be a Main Eventer. As he should have been for almost a decade now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

SaberToothedPie posted:

that was prob the best american match this weekend

Close call between this and the 6 Man Tag at FFtF for me. Kofi and Joe might beat both if they bring it.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Them stopping the "Iiiiiiit's BAAAAAYLEEEEY!" thing during announcements is unforgivable.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

"Come on Nikki!"

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

No Irish Need Imply posted:

wait the revival signed again after the club did? there must be something in those contracts beyond the money, as good as it is.

Maybe the Revival are just really dumb.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Slow start, but much better than I expected on the back end. The storyline still sucks.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Pretty boring for most of it. Some good spectacle spots. This match needed actual heat to really work and it never had a prayer of getting that.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

rovert posted:

You are just trolling at this stage.

I don't think the match really exceeded expectations Rov, I was tuning out for pretty much all but the last 5-6 minutes.

I agree you're right that the crowd was way into the ending though. The match just felt heatless and forced to me even though there were a few neat bits.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Was the Taker match good? I didn't tune in until Cesaro/Black

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

rovert posted:

I wish some people here would stop pretending my opinions are unique to me or I am doing a bit.

For what it's worth I always respect your opinions as being earnest even though I frequently disagree with them and sometimes think you broadcast them a bit extra-loudly because you seem to have a contrarian streak. :)

This has been a good match so far!

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

This is a fun match! Where have this Heavy Machinery been? If you're looking for answers to AEW's product, this is the strongest one they've offered yet.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

SaberToothedPie posted:

this is like the worst match to say this with considering aew had a fuckfest 3 way tag last night

Yeah, that's why I said it. They put up a thing that is the same as one of the best things on the FFtF card and showed that they can meet the same standard.

That match was amazing. New Day and Planet's Champs both brought it and Heavy Machinery rose to the challenge of being in there with there with two amazing teams who were both turning it up above their normal standard.

gently caress, even ROWAN looked good.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

I'm really not into this "Maaaaaybe I'm lying :smug:" thing with Heyman.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

boxcarhobo posted:

ahhh poo poo kofi is losing the belt :[

I can live with Kofi losing the belt if it leads to Kofi v Brock at Summerslam.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

The bullet sound effect was better when he took off the hood than before the music starts. The song has a good enough stinger.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

rovert posted:

Or it is a 2019 AJ match that doesn't get out of second gear.

DeepDickPizza posted:

good storytelling is much more important in wrestling than people let on

It's both of these. The build was bad, the in-match storyline and psychology are bad, and without being able to step it up to a higher gear both of those problems are amplified significantly.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

SamuraiFoochs posted:

THAT loving SPOT

I'm enjoying this show. :shobon:

I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would, but I think it's a Mania 32 situation.

This'll be the true test. Can Owens keep the good vibes flowing despite Ziggler being around.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

God drat I've waited so long for Face Owens. I hope there's a Fight Owens Fight chant.

EDIT:

lol @ stream delay

Hell yeah Big Kev!

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Did anyone else see that "Resurrect Ascension" Sign?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Dear Eric Bischoff:

Please build Smackdown's Main Event Scene around Kofi, Owens, Black, Cesaro, and Joe and actually push the Tag Division. TIA

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

This is what I came for. Burn this house down Kofi and Joe!

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

You're not wrong.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Jerusalem posted:

I love Kofi but I hope Joe wins this, because Joe is cool and they can't keep beating him over and over again please Jesus give him something

I don't want either guy to lose this :ohdear:

Maybe Brock will do a Rollins and we can have a Triple Threat with Brock for the title at Summerslam!

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

DeepDickPizza posted:

Cesaro and Joe are Raw Superstars.

Wildcard baby!

Also are you sure Joe didn't move back to SD? I haven't seen him on Raw.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

:stare:

JESUS CHRIST JOE!

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

I wanted Kofi to win, but that was an anticlimix. I liked it, it was really back and forth, but it was like they cut an entire third of the match. They were starting to build up to something only for it to suddenly end.

Weird.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

This is going to be a 30 minute match.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Nothing more ladylike than flashing your rear end in a camera close-up

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

lol, VanManinator

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

I mean, I'm willing to admit this is the best match I've seen Lacey in, and the best I've seen her personally IN a match.

I wouldn't really call it good though. It's plodding and tame with a few good spots here and there. Most of the positive is coming from Seth and Becky having great tag chemistry.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

rovert posted:

Best WWE PPV in a long time.

I think that's damning with faint praise Rov. The last good WWE main roster show was... man I think the Rumble? And before that... man, I don't even know before that, it has been a LONG run of trash. This really wasn't that GOOD, just... not poo poo.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

rovert posted:

What PPV was better? A lot of people elsewhere are saying the same thing. The least amount of negative feedback I've seen in a long time.

I'll say this, if the shows ARE going to change in any significant way this week under their new management, this was a better note to start on than anyone could have expected. But having a good PPV doesn't fix the systemic problems that have made every PPV since the Rumble suck. Declining companies have had surprise good PPVs before and not seen any turnaround.

Next month is the real test, because if Summerslam is a trash fire and All Out knocks it out of the park things can get real bad real quick.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Lid posted:

Unpopular but accurate: Seth and Kofi both are not champions in that they wont draw in viewers or get people invested in their matches. This is a direct result of WWE booking, but it is also objectively accurate. Brock is the one guy they haven't hosed up because its Brock and the complete apathy towards him still makes him a better choice, he's Bruno Sammartino compared to the rest of the roster. It will kill the company as it continues, but when everyone else is 50/50 the one guy who isn't maintains power.

Seth and Kofi have successfully drawn in viewers and gotten people invested in their matches throughout their runs AND long before them. They're not the problem. Kofi has been booked better than any face WWE Champ in years, and as a result he gets the big reactions and the crowd support and I'm sure New Day is still moving merch by the truckload. His problem is that everything around him is so bad. No one man can single-handedly maintain a wrestling company, it's never been true even in the vaunted days of Hogan and Austin, it's not even true of Tanahashi and he's about as close an example as you can find of a one-man show during New Japan's darkest years.

Seth is a better example of what you're talking about, the booking killing him, but even then he still gets the responses like Kofi does. The same thing goes for Becky. Having the right headliners is only part of the formula for a successful wrestling company.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

SaberToothedPie posted:

dude the ratings loving suck and while i dont think its their fault you can't say they're draws

Draw doesn't necessarily mean ratings. Draw means money. If Kofi is still the merch mover he has been since New Day took off, he's a draw in that respect and its just one possible indicator of the fact that he's enough of a star to be the Champion and headline the company, just like ratings are only one possible indicator.

TV ratings are in the toilet everyone knows this, but again I don't put this down to the champions, I put this down to the product. The biggest star in the universe can't get people to watch a bad TV show, at least not beyond a certain point. If The Rock was announced to show up on Raw this monday, how much better do you think the ratings would REALLY be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

LividLiquid posted:

Agreed. Hulk Hogan, Jeff Hardy, and Ric Flair all debuted in TNA and didn't move the needle for poo poo.

Are we gonna' argue they weren't draws?

A poo poo product is a poo poo product and the performers aren't the problem.

The specific example of Hogan in TNA is a great one, because the segment where he debuted was the best ratings number that TNA literally EVER did. They put that segment on directly against Bret's return confronting Vince in the ring AND IT WAS STILL TNA'S BEST RATING OF ALL TIME.

By the end of that SAME SEGMENT the lovely promo and the obviously bad direction the story was indicated to take under their command had made all those new viewers switch off the TV and/or tune back to Raw. The ratings for that Episode of Impact were the same garbage after that segment and for the weeks following as they were before that segments and for the weeks leading up to it. They had one bite at the apple to convince people that the TV show would become good thanks to the drawing power of one of Wrestling's biggest stars and they loving blew it.

Stars can't be draws if the show is bad enough.