Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Libertad! posted:

What about Gully Dwarf PCs? Do those actually exist?

I've never seen them, because while you need to hate your party something fierce to inflict Kender or Tinker Gnomes on them, you need to hate yourself even more to be a Gully Dwarf. And I think you'd have just :tizzy:'d yourself out of existence long before you reach that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

So what are Gully Dwarves anyway? I've heard of them a couple of times, and the fact they're in the same breath as Kenders is a bad sign, but I've never got an example of what they really are.

Or should I just wait for some of them to spill out onto the pages?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Omnicrom posted:

So what are Gully Dwarves anyway? I've heard of them a couple of times, and the fact they're in the same breath as Kenders is a bad sign, but I've never got an example of what they really are.

Or should I just wait for some of them to spill out onto the pages?

They're a race of dwarves who are essentially forced to play low-INT Fallout characters - and people treat them accordingly.

Some of their learning disabilities are played for laughs to boot.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

LuiCypher posted:

They're a race of dwarves who are essentially forced to play low-INT Fallout characters - and people treat them accordingly.

Some of their learning disabilities are played for laughs to boot.

That is real ugly sounding.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Omnicrom posted:

That is real ugly sounding.
It's a thing which flew in the 80's but probably wouldn't today. I hope.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Gully Dwarves show up in the very first book, I believe, so we’ll have plenty of room to dig into them sooner rather than later.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I read a ton of Dragonlance in my youth (it's what got me into all three of fantasy, D&D and tabletop gaming) and I still reread some of it pretty much every year. And every time I do, I find something new to say "I thought I liked that, but it's not good" about.

I'm probably on the defender side, nonetheless. Chronicles is a mediocre telling of a railroaded campaign, but I still genuinely like Legends. And for all Weis and Hickman's flaws, they had a bunch of ideas that were legitimately interesting. The gods are fuckups, and even when we learn what they're up to, the mortals who were/are calling them out frequently aren't wrong. The Kingpriest is an unusual antagonist for the time. Sometimes the hero is a dick, and not in a cool way, in a selfish or cowardly way.

Seldom Posts posted:

There was a series of D&D video games from SSI in the late 80s (pool of radiance etc) and the one set in Dragonlance was great. One of the things it did was have the three moons waxing and waning across the top of the screen all the time and your wizards power would wax and wane automatically with them.

The SSI Dragonlance games were the best of the Gold Box games, absolutely.

dwarf74 posted:

It's a thing which flew in the 80's but probably wouldn't today. I hope.

I feel like they thought they were doing an interesting "literacy and math aren't the only ways to be intelligent" thing with the gully dwarves, but the way they actually wrote it, it came out way more "fantasy white man's burden."

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Gully dwarves are just the logical conclusion of D&D's racial stat system.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

W.T. Fits posted:

Also, The Legend of Huma and all of Knaak's stuff involving minotaurs ruled, and I will die on this hill. Fight me.
You have my axe.

Also Kang and his draconians also kicked rear end.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Draconians survived into 4E (somehow, when nothing else Dragonlance did) and were low-key one of the best races due to constant sort-of flying. Also you could lick your weapon and cause it to do poison damage, or play your trap card when you die and explode.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mr. Humalong posted:

I’m definitely a latecomer to D&D (never played until 2017), but what’s the general opinion of the Dragonlance setting? I know next to nothing about any of the settings besides Forgotten Realms (seems like a kitchen sink setting) and Eberron (rules imo).

I know this was on the first page but just a brief overview for people wondering

1. It's pretty much on the same tier as the Forgotten Realms as far as an innovative fantasy setting goes. FR probably edges it out now, since it's absorbed some other, less popular settings over time, and had more fantasy novels to expand on the different parts of the setting goes. The general presumption is a fairly standard High Fantasy world though.

2. Maybe because of how similar the setting is to the Forgotten Realms, it was deliberately introduced as a setting where the all gods had abandoned the world for a long time after mass genocides were done in the name of the good gods.

3. The Cataclysm the gods inflicted on the world caused lots of deaths, diseases, rapes, etc. of innocents, too. This might seem a little hypocritical of the good gods to allow and is best explained by:

4. Tracy Hickman is a devout Mormon and that leaks all over the setting, but particularly in its approach to gods, good and evil, and other moral issues.

5. This is also why Kender exist, because Tracy felt stealing was wrong, so he contrived of a race that compulsively and unwittingly nicked things and therefore were blameless. Normal halflings don't exist in the Dragonlance world, either, and rulebooks have even declared if a halfling traversed to the setting from another reality, they'd turn into a kender. Some other distinctive takes on D&D races were the tinker (steampunk) gnomes and a subspieces of dwarves called "gully dwarves" which, like LuiCypher said, were like making a whole race out of a Low-Int classic Fallout player characters.

6. There are three moons that are also gods, but only worshiped by the wizards of the setting: a white moon, a red moon, and a black moon (but most people don't even think the black moon is real because they can't see it in the night sky too well). The wizards of the setting draw their power from the moons. During the Catacylsm they vanished, too, but they came back eventually. I don't remember if this disrupted the wizards' abilities to cast magic at all.

7. Dragonlance was conceived out of effectively re-play stories/campaign summaries that were turned into the original module series and novels, and therefore could be considered a precursor of the modern youtube/podcast playthroughs that are all the rage now.

8. The tone of the iconic campaign, the immediate tie-in fiction, and the surge in interest from new waves of players drawn to both caused a kind of early grognard backlash from people who felt it wasn't in the spirit of ~True D&D~.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

6. There are three moons that are also gods, but only worshiped by the wizards of the setting: a white moon, a red moon, and a black moon (but most people don't even think the black moon is real because they can't see it in the night sky too well). The wizards of the setting draw their power from the moons. During the Catacylsm they vanished, too, but they came back eventually. I don't remember if this disrupted the wizards' abilities to cast magic at all.

I don't think the moons vanished with the Cataclysm, I do think that happened when the gods left the second time though after Summer Flame.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 22, 2019

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Yeah, the gods of magic were always seen as separate/other despite definitely being part of the pantheon (since people always distrust magic), and even a lot of non-mages who knew that still didn't think of the connection with the moons as more than symbolic, so even though the moons were still there after the Cataclysm, nobody outside of the wizards bothered putting two and two together.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

4. Tracy Hickman is a devout Mormon and that leaks all over the setting, but particularly in its approach to gods, good and evil, and other moral issues.
I'm hoping people get into this as we go, because I hear it all the time but I don't know anything about Mormon beliefs so I don't know specifically what things in the books are being called out.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm hoping people get into this as we go, because I hear it all the time but I don't know anything about Mormon beliefs so I don't know specifically what things in the books are being called out.

I know I'm the one who pointed out "mortals calling the gods out aren't always wrong" as a plus, but Tracy Hickman's intent was indeed that the mortals were always wrong in that situation. That's why every true believer comes around to "the mortals abandoned the gods, the gods didn't abandon us," no matter how much time they spend pointing out that the gods were cruel for spending 350 years ignoring the world because the people begging for help weren't doing it right/needed to learn a lesson.

There's also the appendix to Dragons of a Vanished Moon, which claims that all the gods were created by the High God (the Abrahamic one, in all but name; he even speaks in "ye"s and "thou"s), and Chaos wasn't actually the "father of all and nothing," he was just the most esteemed of the created gods until he rebelled and was cast out, and Reorx had a mental breakdown during Summer Flame and all the times he implied and outright stated that Chaos was somehow the highest of all were just what he believed in his delusions. This one got slapped with the non-canon label so quickly that I don't even think it made it into the softcover release (it helps that Weis had no part in it; it was Hickman and Matthew L. Martin, who's noted even in comparison to Hickman for really, really wanting Dragonlance to be Christian).

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Mormons, like draconians, have a special garment that brings them closer to Takhisis, and when they die it turns them to stone/causes them to explode/puddles them into acid.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Dragonlance's morality is, in general, pretty screwed up - I suspect it's less the Mormon influence as D&D alignment wackiness. It leans very heavily into the idea that Neutrality should be a balance between Good and Evil, and that this is somehow better than everything being Good.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I feel like the neutral balances good and evil thing is the result of people completely misunderstand some assorted light/dark yin/yang positive/negative duality poo poo without realizing that good and evil do not map onto that. No one should want to balance evil with good. It probably made more sense back when law/chaos was the only alignment axis.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

tzirean posted:

I know I'm the one who pointed out "mortals calling the gods out aren't always wrong" as a plus, but Tracy Hickman's intent was indeed that the mortals were always wrong in that situation. That's why every true believer comes around to "the mortals abandoned the gods, the gods didn't abandon us," no matter how much time they spend pointing out that the gods were cruel for spending 350 years ignoring the world because the people begging for help weren't doing it right/needed to learn a lesson.
Yeah, that to me is bullshit thinking however you present it. This is a place where the gods provably exist. If they don't like how their "followers" are twisting their beliefs, then sorry it's on them to come down and say so.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Even as a kid I realized that the Cataclysm made zero sense at all. Punishing generations of people because some rear end in a top hat was really arrogant and petitioned management for the ultimate promotion was nonsensical, only the most die-hard fundie "God has a plan that involves little toddlers in Africa dying of AIDS" apologists would go for that poo poo.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Glagha posted:

I feel like the neutral balances good and evil thing is the result of people completely misunderstand some assorted light/dark yin/yang positive/negative duality poo poo without realizing that good and evil do not map onto that. No one should want to balance evil with good. It probably made more sense back when law/chaos was the only alignment axis.
It's extremely Gygaxian (and Moorcockian, whatevs). And yeah, makes a ton more sense with order(law)/chaos.

It comes from having alignments be things - like, real factions that you belong to - instead of moral descriptions you put on peoples' actions.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Glagha posted:

Law/chaos being the only alignment axis predates Dragonlance, and indeed, AD&D by quite a few years.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Madurai posted:

Law/chaos being the only alignment axis predates Dragonlance, and indeed, AD&D by quite a few years.

Which reminds me of Shin MegaTen, which uses the same single axis and posits neutrality as being more about ensuring that neither side achieves total dominance - hence, the endgame for the neutral path sees you beat the poo poo out of Michael and Lucifer.

Battle Mad Ronin
Aug 26, 2017

Glagha posted:

Early D&D derived the whole alignment system from Moorcock. Moorcock intended Law and Chaos as cosmic forces that influenced human agency invarious ways. His characters were often bound to follow one path or the other, never being happy in having their lives dictated by forces beyond their control.

Moorcock’s point was, as you point out, that the best way was a then trendy new-age inspired ideal of finding a balance within the self, independent of outside forces. Following on what Dwarf74 wrote, the idea of a law/chaos dichotomy becamse an artefact in D&D, being kept from the earlier editions without the creators really understanding the point. The idea of neutrality being ‘there much be as much good as evil’ being the utterly dumb end result. You see, neutrals must believe that if you get a nice ice cream cone then you should also get punched in the face, to balance things out. A totally sensible position.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Dragonlance actually predates Forgotten Realms as an official published setting, it should be noted. TSR bought the Realms from Ed because they wanted a new setting to put products in that was less complicated than Dragonlance, and wasn't burdened by their ongoing litigation with Gygax.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

homullus posted:

You'd think that people would have had enough of silly tinker gnomes;
I look around me and I see it isn't so.
Some people want to fill the world with silly tinker gnomes.
What wrong with that? I'd like to know.

Your house explodes. Again.
(Why did I stuff my whole bed with guncotton?)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Battle Mad Ronin posted:

You see, neutrals must believe that if you get a nice ice cream cone then you should also get punched in the face, to balance things out. A totally sensible position.
It's a very pre-2010's idea, isn't it?

Not helping matters is the idea that "neutral" is not just the idea of balance, but also not caring about anything because "true neutral" is the nature/druid alignment.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Battle Mad Ronin posted:

You see, neutrals must believe that if you get a nice ice cream cone then you should also get punched in the face, to balance things out. A totally sensible position.

This feels more like what people picked up on as uproariously funny when they were introduced to D&D at age 10, and then later they didn't mature, and well...

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh, we'll get there. Just you wait for Goldmoon and Riverwind.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Even as a kid I realized that the Cataclysm made zero sense at all. Punishing generations of people because some rear end in a top hat was really arrogant and petitioned management for the ultimate promotion was nonsensical, only the most die-hard fundie "God has a plan that involves little toddlers in Africa dying of AIDS" apologists would go for that poo poo.

coughNegroDoctrinecough

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

remusclaw posted:

I don't think the moons vanished with the Cataclysm, I do think that happened when the gods left the second time though after Summer Flame.

Oh yeah you're right I'm getting the first and second Cataclysms mixed up, my bad. The moons just hung around the first time and nobody thought much about it.

Battle Mad Ronin posted:

Early D&D derived the whole alignment system from Moorcock. Moorcock intended Law and Chaos as cosmic forces that influenced human agency invarious ways. His characters were often bound to follow one path or the other, never being happy in having their lives dictated by forces beyond their control.

Early D&D's law/chaos logic more likely came out of Three Hearts Three Lions, which was kind of convergently created at about the same time as the first Elric stories. The law/chaos divide there is a more explicit good/evil split.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

I'm ashamed to say I never made the connection. Thank you very much, the minute you posted it I was like "ah poo poo, yeah, exactly."

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Re: Moorcock, are the Elric books any good? Do they hold up at all?

I've known about how influential they are since I was a teenager and used them as a touchstone for like, explaining to people what a Hexblade is or whatever, but I've never actually read any of them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

homullus posted:

What's wrong with tinker gnomes, aside from ubiquity? Before those, gnomes were "essentially dwarves, but you'll only ever meet one, and they'll be an illusionist."

Tinker gnomes are a series of endless unfunny jokes about over-engineering that only engineers like. And they directly inspired World of Warcraft's gnomes, which are the same tired joke, but more of it. Even putting aside the obnoxiousness, both in play and in the books, of the gnomes that make weird useless devices that don't work right and are constantly speaking in technobabble, I would always prefer a magical forest gnome to one that just does steampunk inventing in a setting that poorly accommodates it.

David the Gnome ruled, High Tinker Mekkatorque does not rule.

Meinberg posted:

Gully Dwarves show up in the very first book, I believe, so we’ll have plenty of room to dig into them sooner rather than later.

They show up for a brief comedic interlude, but there's an entire book about Flint's backstory with them and it is so much worse.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 23, 2019

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Yeah, tinker gnomes could have been pretty cool, but...

They use catapults and nets to get up and down levels in their dumb mountain lab. Someone says "why not stairs" and they're all "Stairs, what are stairs? OK so we should look into this stairs thing maybe, but maybe not because the catapults work just fine about 5% of the time. But stairs you say? Hmmm, what a novel concept! How could they be "improved" in a comedy way that kills the user 3/4 of the time though?" and they're all like that all the time about everything and that's it, there's no actual payoff, that's the only joke and it's the whole joke.

Like, you're waiting for the guy you've seen to be an exiled fuckwit gnome, or the whole dumb thing to be a weird way of misdirecting the enemy, or something, anything to make it less stupid, but nope, it's exactly as idiotic as it looks.

And I feel like that's a microcosm of the Dragonlance setting. It shows you something, and you think "that sounds like it's gonna be neat!" but it's only ever exactly what it looks like and it's usually kinda dumb.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 23, 2019

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
IIRC Tinker Gnomes were created by a magic chaos rock turning an entire dwarven city into a group of damaged fuckwads.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Zeroisanumber posted:

IIRC Tinker Gnomes were created by a magic chaos rock turning an entire dwarven city into a group of damaged fuckwads.

A "magic chaos rock" turns an otherwise industrious city into a madhouse full of deranged maniacs? Written in the 80s? What could it mean?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

I've known about how influential they are since I was a teenager and used them as a touchstone for like, explaining to people what a Hexblade is or whatever, but I've never actually read any of them.

I think they're pretty okay to good. Like most pulp series it can vary a lot, and you have to be tolerant of the conventions of pulp stories or else you'll probably just hate it. As far as that goes, I think Elric's stories are some of the better Influential Pulp. It more regularly does crazy weird poo poo, and is often less blatantly racist (but it's still racist).

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Zeroisanumber posted:

This is also the origin of kender, and I believe gully dwarves as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Mad Ronin
Aug 26, 2017

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

I love the Elric books and can only recommend them. They are very imaginative, and while you can see how a lot of them has become cliches, it is interesting to see how differently the original ideas play out compared to what later became the accpeted trope. Also they are generally short, 120-150 pages is the norm, which is nice as a contrast to modern fantasy fiction where the publishers apperantly insist that a book cannot be wrapped up in less than 500 pages.

If you are into that kind of thing, there’s an excellent French comic adaptation currently coming out, published in english by Titan comics. Beautifully drawn and captured the character to a point where Moorcock himself has said he now consider the comics better than his own work.

If you read an Elric book and like it, or just want to dig deeper, I would recommend some of Moorcock’s other fantasy heroes, all part of the same multiverse. There’s the Corum series that I enjoyed greatly. Also Hawkmoon is some epic fantasy set in post-apocalyptic Europe being menaced by a resurgent British Empire ruled by aristocrats that might be the most unambiguously evil human characters ever written in fantasy.