Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Sometimes I lurk over in the D&D thread, and I saw you post this link, and I'm all about this thread in the worst kind of way.

I was way too big of a Dragonlance grognard in high school and a bit into college. Read the first trilogy (I think the first two books were in my HS library, oddly enough), and the second trilogy about the twins going back in time, and a couple of the collections of short stories, including the one about everybody's kids. Then I read the maybe sort of unofficial "fourth book" in the first trilogy, Dragons of Summer Flame? (I guess they decided keeping the naming scheme 100% and calling it Summer's Day would be a little dumb...)

IIRC, the book was written because TSR (I think D&D was still owned by TSR then) was completely changing the Dragonlance campaign setting. And not in the way they did with Forgotten Realms, where a D&D version change just meant some gods died and new ones appeared...instead, they completely REMOVED all the gods (which was resolution to the book), and changed the entire RPG mechanics so it wasn't the same as current AD&D. Looked it up just now and it was called the SAGA system.

Then they undid all of that a couple years later with the Souls trilogy where the old gods came back because:
*surprise*, they didn't actually leave like they said they did at the end of the other book, the main antagonist evil goddess just tricked the other gods, "stole" the world and hid it from them. (Not sure if it needs spoiling, it's a freakin 20 year old trilogy.)
If I remember right, Weis and Hickman basically said they didn't like how they
That's where I stopped, early 2000's, I was in college and realized I could read GOOD books, instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

dwarf74 posted:

Dragonlance got expanded a ton in novels, but it has never been a premier RPG setting except for a few minutes during the late 80's or whatever. It's much more well-known for its books. It has some clever bits that were atypical for its era, and it prided itself on being a deep, dramatic setting, but it's still an Extremely Generic Fantasy World.

Yeah, it never really took off. They tried, though. In the late 80's/early 90's they even released a campaign setting for a completely different continent in Dragonlance, called Taladas (main continent is Ansalon.)

Somehow, it ALSO had a cataclysm at the exact same time as Ansalon, but instead of the continent shattering and creating a new ocean and whatnot, it created a GIGANTIC LAVA OCEAN in the middle of the land.

The Tinker Gnomes who lived in Taladas even made little lava boats to traverse it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Zeroisanumber posted:

IIRC Tinker Gnomes were created by a magic chaos rock turning an entire dwarven city into a group of damaged fuckwads.

Other way around, actually.

A bunch of gnomes chased after the Greygem, and half wanted it because it was valuable and became dwarves, and the other half wanted it out of curiosity and became kender.

Why do I know this instead of calculus?

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jul 24, 2019

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

U.T. Raptor posted:

iirc, they're either said or impled to be some of the smaller and weaker members of their race, too.

Also Mina was a thing and gently caress everything about her Mary Sue bullshit

I don't mind the alien dragons so much because it, to me, had some cool aspects of Spelljammer.

Like...in Spelljammer, all the different D&D settings (The Realms, Dragonlance, Greyhawk, etc...) are essentially planets in their own "crystal spheres" floating in the ether/phlogiston that powerful wizards or psychics can pilot spaceships to.

So Takhisis just moved Krynn from it's native crystal sphere to another one just right over there where the dominant life form was huge, gently caress-off dragons.

Essentially it was just a way for players and DMs to mix and match stuff from various settings, but with some really cool flavor behind it.