Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Tinker gnomes are a series of endless unfunny jokes about over-engineering that only engineers like. And they directly inspired World of Warcraft's gnomes, which are the same tired joke, but more of it. Even putting aside the obnoxiousness, both in play and in the books, of the gnomes that make weird useless devices that don't work right and are constantly speaking in technobabble, I would always prefer a magical forest gnome to one that just does steampunk inventing in a setting that poorly accommodates it.

David the Gnome ruled, High Tinker Mekkatorque does not rule.

WoW Gnomes aren't anything like that at all, though. They're largely more technologically advanced and smaller dwarves. They've never had any 'their tech doesn't work'.

Maybe they inspired WoW goblins, but I really don't see it either as the joke with their tech is that somehow their crazy low-tech stuff matches up with advanced Gnome stuff despite being slapped together.

EDIT: Aw poo poo, I didn't notice this thread had already fallen by the wayside. Um, hope things get better so you can post more, OP!

Kchama fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

darnon posted:

WoW goblins are basically Warhammer 40k ork technologists meets Ferengi with some extra mafia emphasis. Not too surprising considering Warcraft's roots in Warhammer.

Bruceski posted:

In general when not played for laughs gnomish vs goblin engineering is how much it looks like it was built on purpose. Gnome stuff has crackles of electricity and chrome while goblin is coalpunk.

When it's the punchline (or player-made) gnomish engineering is "It'll do something, but it may not do what you wanted" while goblin is "it blows up every time, but half the time the proper target is what blows up."

Yeah, you both are correct on this. I guess the biggest difference is that they can actually be played not for laughs and be serious threats.

Toshimo posted:

I was at GenCon. Where A GOON WHO SHALL NOT BE NAMED hunted me down, in person, to tell me to post more Dragonlance.

I'll be back at work tomorrow and posting lovely fantasy stories, I promise.

That's good to hear! I had totally forgot GenCon had happened, my bad.