Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I guess that I shouldn't be surprised that this thread is full of "It's generic Tolkein-esque fantasy with elves and therefore crap" snarkiness. I still enjoy those early core books even decades later. I realise that the setting isn't pushing any boundaries, but the characters carry it for me and the Legends trilogy is one of my favourites of the genre. I will say that I probably have read more "really bad fantasy" then most people here, so perhaps that raises mediocre to solid in my eyes, but that's as may be. I I reread some of the prominent books a few months ago and it was nice to find out that something for which I was nostalgic was still enjoyable - that often doesn't happen. That said, the original Dangermouse is the best British cartoon ever and I will punch you so hard if you don't agree.

If anyone wants an example of a truly awful fantasy novel, I literally have one that I think is the nadir outside of maybe erotic fantasy. It's Realms, but by a fairly unknown author. The fact that I've read so many novels and that that one still hits at the nadir really reminds me how bad it was. I do miss Elaine Cunningham, though... I really enjoyed her work with one exception.

My favourite fantasy author remains Feist, though.

Silhouette posted:

He's a drunken dwarf with a gambling problem

Literally how he lost the Graygem. That comes up in a story where he goes after the stone with Caramon's three sons and the point where he admits to it is one of the funniest things that I have ever read in an otherwise dramatic novel.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I remember getting the 5th age book and it opened with two of Caramon's (that had been in the Tales and were likeable enough dudes) sons dead and I was just like "nope" and that's what turned me off Dragonlance forever. I was a hell of a loyal reader before then.

I do remember I enjoyed that there was a Minotaur island empire that could have been a serious problem to the main continent but they were so busy killing each other in hierarchical tests of martial skill that they never turned their attention outward. I still think that's a pretty cool idea. I'm sure somebody's going to quote a story tho that ruins it.

Dragonlance writers have seemingly always been very quick to kill off important characters. Sturm and Tanin were perhaps the most egregious examples of that. Perhaps the fact that some settings keep the same characters around too long makes it seem more egregious. I am also with you, MJ, in that the setting really died hard starting in the 5th age. Dragonlance was always a more serious, gritty setting, but the new age was where it went down the S-bend. It became a caricature of itself, in my opinion. Mina came across as contrived, but I'm planning to reread the War of Souls trilogy at some point because I didn't really understand how Tas's time travelling had anything to do with anything and perhaps the second time will make sense.

I'm glad that someone remembered where that story came from. I remembered the story, but not where I read it. I might still own a paper copy of that book, come to think of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU