Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Arivia posted:

Hell yes, I am totally here for these. Dragons of Spring Dawning was my introduction to D&D, I stayed up all night reading it and got my mom to cut my hair into a topknot and call me Tas for years. I was like 8.

Wait. Is there something to a topknot beyond long hair and a really high ponytail?

I've always assumed "topknot" was basically the same as "gently caress I need to do a lot of cleaning with chemicals and need my hair really, really out of my face".

I'm sincerely curious.

Also this a great thread and I'm ground flooring this bad boy. I think I have some garbage supplement thing sitting in a box somewhere with recipes and crap. If I can find that book I'll totally make those potatoes that come up in EVERY GODDAMN CHAPTER. (The recipe sucks by the way, if I remember.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Bruceski posted:

The Rankin-Bass movies do pretty well as well. Not spectacular or anything, but they remind me of the melodies my dad would do when he read the books to us. Also some of them are sung by Glenn Yarbrough who was a great folk singer. One of my dad's favorites and I think he influenced the reading by complete coincidence, Dad started reading the books to us before we saw the movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5vu8vU9yCw

My dad read us The Hobbit and some of the Lord of the Rings when we were kids, and he tried his best on the songs but... uh. He is not a musical man. Let's leave it at that. And I've wondered before if that's part of the reason why I can't stand the loving songs. I adore the Rankin-Bass ones from The Hobbit cause we'd get those from the library and they just sound like childhood now, but when I'd see them in the books when I was a teenager and reading LotR I just checked out and got some content words and then went back to the story. I know there was content there, but I just couldn't. And that's still a reason why I have no desire to ever reread those books. And I love deep dives into settings and slow narratives! I just could never get into those.

Somehow this didn't infect when my dad read us The Last of the Mohicans and I heard my dad's "French" which is, let's say unique. I love the hell out of all of those books despite him poorly reading parts in period French he didn't understand with basically no knowledge of French and just guessing. He actually learned to read a decent amount of French but his pronunciation is hilariously garbage and I still tease him for it.

In conclusion, I should go read to my nephew.