Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

6. There are three moons that are also gods, but only worshiped by the wizards of the setting: a white moon, a red moon, and a black moon (but most people don't even think the black moon is real because they can't see it in the night sky too well). The wizards of the setting draw their power from the moons. During the Catacylsm they vanished, too, but they came back eventually. I don't remember if this disrupted the wizards' abilities to cast magic at all.

I don't think the moons vanished with the Cataclysm, I do think that happened when the gods left the second time though after Summer Flame.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah , I was not a fan of the fifth age either. These were not great books in general, but I was young, and I really liked the characters, and if you are going to kill all the characters off and create a miserable status quo I was just not going to keep reading. It's the same reason I fell out of old Star Wars EU stuff around the New Jedi Order.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

I feel the same way but I'm starting to think that Krynn was always loving miserable and I just didn't notice when I was 12.

There is some truth to that definitely. But, there is something above and beyond to having characters have kids, and then killing off the kids. Dragonlance kinda went out of its way to kill off everyone, I'm assuming because the writers had the right to, where Star Wars had to be picky so only characters who couldn't talk like Chewy, or characters who weren't in the movies at all died, like all of Han and Leia's kids.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Things I know about this setting. It's supposedly supposed to be Epic Fantasy in tone, and that there are no orcs cause they got genocided by that Priest King guy who caused the Cataclysm.

I dont remember that about Orcs. Generally all the species in Dragonlance are of the the few base ones, a few progenitors, and those hosed up by the chaos gem. It is far more limited in monsters than most settings, though a few do sneak in that aren't supposed to be there on occasion.