Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

dwarf74 posted:

The Dragonlance D&D settings also assume that your group is tracking time well enough to track moon phases so you can know which wizards are the best at any given moment.

Which makes me laugh, and laugh.

There was a series of D&D video games from SSI in the late 80s (pool of radiance etc) and the one set in Dragonlance was great. One of the things it did was have the three moons waxing and waning across the top of the screen all the time and your wizards power would wax and wane automatically with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I remember getting the 5th age book and it opened with two of Caramon's (that had been in the Tales and were likeable enough dudes) sons dead and I was just like "nope" and that's what turned me off Dragonlance forever. I was a hell of a loyal reader before then.

I do remember I enjoyed that there was a Minotaur island empire that could have been a serious problem to the main continent but they were so busy killing each other in hierarchical tests of martial skill that they never turned their attention outward. I still think that's a pretty cool idea. I'm sure somebody's going to quote a story tho that ruins it.

Yeah, that triggered a memory for me. I think I remember a short story where a knight is called up to a village because they've seen a minotaur. He finds the minotaur but he seems like a decent dude and they reach some kind of understanding until other minotaurs show up to kill minotaur #1in a lopsided fight that was demanded by honour or something. The knight doesn't intervene in the fight at minotaur #1's request and then questions stuff about his own code.

Anybody remember the name or where that story was located? I think it was in "magic of krynn" but google is failing me.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Yeah that was the story that stuck with me. This big old minotaur sitting on the beach sharpening stakes and waiting for his final showdown. When the kill party shows up he picks the two best ones and proceeds to kill like 80% of his opponents, who are armed with real metal weapons. It was honestly a pretty Badass Moment as these things go.

The knight finds out his "crime" was believing that the other races had value and that the minotaurs could learn something from them. Sedition. It's honestly a decent takedown of nationalism for a kid's fantasy story.

Ah, thanks. Amazing the stuff that sticks with you.

edit: found it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kender,_Gully_Dwarves,_and_Gnomes

"Definitions of Honor" by Richard A. Knaak.

Seldom Posts fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 24, 2019

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

dismas posted:

Knaak loved Minotaurs. He wrote the Kaz stuff right?

He did. I think he came up with Kaz as a character too.

He also wrote another story that popped into my head while I was trying to find the minotaur one. "Wayward Children" is about a bunch of draconian soldiers who garrison a village of elves. All kinds of mysterious stuff starts happening, and you sympathize with the bad guys a bit. It turns out that the elves are actually shapeshifted good dragons trying to see if there's anything left of their kids in the draconians. (Draconians are evil dragon-people made out of good dragon eggs). I seem to recall it had some body horror and was also pretty sad. That's 2 points for Richard A. Knaak with 12 year old me.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I THINK he also wrote this baller story where a knight deliberately gets himself captured by the enemy army and is straight up tortured for 3 days, but his faith keeps him strong and he literally goes into a trance where he sees all his dead knight companions calling him home. He comes out of the trance when they're about to slit his throat and personally challenges the Evil General to combat, fights him, and suddenly drops dead after giving it out as good as he gets.

Turns out the knight had the plague. The enemy army left a plague victim in their camp for 3 days, LOL. They all get sick as hell and the army is beaten. Good poo poo, decent twist. edit: I believe it's "By the Measure"

And yeah the "good Dragons are nice to the Draconians to see if there's anything redeeming about them" was good. The Tales are probably the best thing in Dragonlance, most of them are stupid or corny, but some are actually nice little genre pieces that are worth reading if you're a tween. edit: Looks like Richard Knaak might have put that poo poo on his shoulders and carried it away, because looking at Wikipedia I had forgotten almost all of them EXCEPT the ones he wrote, which stuck with me.

Yeah, that seems right to me--that plague story rings a bell as well, but none of the rest of them do.