Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mr. Humalong posted:

I’m definitely a latecomer to D&D (never played until 2017), but what’s the general opinion of the Dragonlance setting? I know next to nothing about any of the settings besides Forgotten Realms (seems like a kitchen sink setting) and Eberron (rules imo).

I know this was on the first page but just a brief overview for people wondering

1. It's pretty much on the same tier as the Forgotten Realms as far as an innovative fantasy setting goes. FR probably edges it out now, since it's absorbed some other, less popular settings over time, and had more fantasy novels to expand on the different parts of the setting goes. The general presumption is a fairly standard High Fantasy world though.

2. Maybe because of how similar the setting is to the Forgotten Realms, it was deliberately introduced as a setting where the all gods had abandoned the world for a long time after mass genocides were done in the name of the good gods.

3. The Cataclysm the gods inflicted on the world caused lots of deaths, diseases, rapes, etc. of innocents, too. This might seem a little hypocritical of the good gods to allow and is best explained by:

4. Tracy Hickman is a devout Mormon and that leaks all over the setting, but particularly in its approach to gods, good and evil, and other moral issues.

5. This is also why Kender exist, because Tracy felt stealing was wrong, so he contrived of a race that compulsively and unwittingly nicked things and therefore were blameless. Normal halflings don't exist in the Dragonlance world, either, and rulebooks have even declared if a halfling traversed to the setting from another reality, they'd turn into a kender. Some other distinctive takes on D&D races were the tinker (steampunk) gnomes and a subspieces of dwarves called "gully dwarves" which, like LuiCypher said, were like making a whole race out of a Low-Int classic Fallout player characters.

6. There are three moons that are also gods, but only worshiped by the wizards of the setting: a white moon, a red moon, and a black moon (but most people don't even think the black moon is real because they can't see it in the night sky too well). The wizards of the setting draw their power from the moons. During the Catacylsm they vanished, too, but they came back eventually. I don't remember if this disrupted the wizards' abilities to cast magic at all.

7. Dragonlance was conceived out of effectively re-play stories/campaign summaries that were turned into the original module series and novels, and therefore could be considered a precursor of the modern youtube/podcast playthroughs that are all the rage now.

8. The tone of the iconic campaign, the immediate tie-in fiction, and the surge in interest from new waves of players drawn to both caused a kind of early grognard backlash from people who felt it wasn't in the spirit of ~True D&D~.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

remusclaw posted:

I don't think the moons vanished with the Cataclysm, I do think that happened when the gods left the second time though after Summer Flame.

Oh yeah you're right I'm getting the first and second Cataclysms mixed up, my bad. The moons just hung around the first time and nobody thought much about it.

Battle Mad Ronin posted:

Early D&D derived the whole alignment system from Moorcock. Moorcock intended Law and Chaos as cosmic forces that influenced human agency invarious ways. His characters were often bound to follow one path or the other, never being happy in having their lives dictated by forces beyond their control.

Early D&D's law/chaos logic more likely came out of Three Hearts Three Lions, which was kind of convergently created at about the same time as the first Elric stories. The law/chaos divide there is a more explicit good/evil split.