Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
God I'm tempted to listen along on audiobook so I can "read" while doing better things.

If there's audiobooks that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah thinking back I think I only ever really completed the Chronicles. I also read the Moon book at some point, because I was hoping it was Spelljammer, and IIRC I was kinda disappointed.

I should do an F&F of the AD&D Dragonlance Adventures hardcover though. I think I still have it around somewhere.... I am probably not the best dude for it because my DL lore is ... shaky.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mr. Humalong posted:

I’m definitely a latecomer to D&D (never played until 2017), but what’s the general opinion of the Dragonlance setting? I know next to nothing about any of the settings besides Forgotten Realms (seems like a kitchen sink setting) and Eberron (rules imo).
Eberron is good and cool.

Forgotten Realms is extremely kitchen-sinky and you have a bunch of tools who are way, way, way too deep into the altogether-way-too-expansive lore and canon.

Dragonlance got expanded a ton in novels, but it has never been a premier RPG setting except for a few minutes during the late 80's or whatever. It's much more well-known for its books. It has some clever bits that were atypical for its era, and it prided itself on being a deep, dramatic setting, but it's still an Extremely Generic Fantasy World.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

All that map needs are fingers and a ring...just saying...
Q IS SENDING US MESSAGES FROM BACK IN TIME!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

W.T. Fits posted:

+1 to the list of "read a bunch of this poo poo in high school/college" pile. Been years since I read any of my old books that are packed away in storage, save for my well-worn copy of The Legend of Huma by none other than the WoW Lore Thread's favorite author punching bag, Richard A. Knaak.

I'm both looking forward to and dreading seeing where this thread ends up going.
IIRC, when Weis and Hickman handed over the reins to write, like, Darksword or whatever they told TSR, "Here you go, run with it, but please keep your drat hands off of all these things which are supposed to remain mysteries forever. #1: Huma and his legend. #2..."

And what's the first DL novel TSR releases that's not by Weis and Hickman? You guessed it...

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
The Dragonlance D&D settings also assume that your group is tracking time well enough to track moon phases so you can know which wizards are the best at any given moment.

Which makes me laugh, and laugh.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Kender, Gully Dwarves, and Tinker Gnomes are the trifecta of lovely gaming races from the late 80's.

The Dragonlance Adventures hardcover from AD&D 1e has a ludicrously complex set of rules for Tinker Gnome inventions, btw.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Omnicrom posted:

That is real ugly sounding.
It's a thing which flew in the 80's but probably wouldn't today. I hope.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Glagha posted:

I feel like the neutral balances good and evil thing is the result of people completely misunderstand some assorted light/dark yin/yang positive/negative duality poo poo without realizing that good and evil do not map onto that. No one should want to balance evil with good. It probably made more sense back when law/chaos was the only alignment axis.
It's extremely Gygaxian (and Moorcockian, whatevs). And yeah, makes a ton more sense with order(law)/chaos.

It comes from having alignments be things - like, real factions that you belong to - instead of moral descriptions you put on peoples' actions.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Thranguy posted:

The worst races in games are usually the ones that are supposed to be so rare as to be practically extinct, but players being players often end up two to a party. So here we have the Irda, beautiful and smart pre-curse ogres.

Raistlin totally had sex with one, during one of the pre-novel adventures, but he then got amnesia and forgot the whole thing. I don't remember if Caramon was mind-wiped too.
Easily explained in 2e anyways - Irda were crazy powerful for a PC race. Awesome stat buffs, effectively no level limits... You'd be nuts not to pick them.

(Wild/Kagonesti elves were in this category too.)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Madurai posted:

I feel like there's a real competition between Dragonlance books and the Belgariad for "fantasy series I thought was awesome but now regret investing time in."
Uhhh Xanth

Also Shannara

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Madurai posted:

"That I thought was awesome" being the critical qualifier here.
Uh well I was a dumb kid and that was the 80's so