Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Evil Mastermind posted:

The default in 3.X was supposed to be Greyhawk, which was the most generic fantasy world possible.

And yet somehow it's not as bland as Kingdoms of Kalamar, which wouldn't even have had magic and demihuman races where it not for bolting itself to the D&D ruleset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah thinking back I think I only ever really completed the Chronicles. I also read the Moon book at some point, because I was hoping it was Spelljammer, and IIRC I was kinda disappointed.

I should do an F&F of the AD&D Dragonlance Adventures hardcover though. I think I still have it around somewhere.... I am probably not the best dude for it because my DL lore is ... shaky.

I have not yet the novels myself, but own like a ton of their gaming sourcebooks from both AD&D and 3.X days. I'd be happy to lend a hand, that is if I get enough free time.

I'd also like to mention that the 3rd Edition updates by Sovereign Press/Margaret Weis Productions made some small changes to the adventures here and there. I cannot recall offhand at the moment, it's been a while.

I did write up some GMing advice section on converting the Chronicles to more modern gaming groups. Mostly system neutral, though.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

A tinker gnome PC can at least give you cool stuff. Like a wizard whose spells are reflavored super-science, or an excuse to break out classes like Alchemist or Artificer depending on the edition/retroclone you're using.

Kender have a customized "borrowing" random item generation table, the value and utility of collected trinkets going up based on the kender's class levels.

Gully dwarves...have nothing like that.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Which is still more fun than playing with the Kender, who's basically using his race as an excuse to play the absolute worst kind of Rogue/Thief (one who derails the game for everyone constantly by having a pathological need to steal nonmagical items and pocket change)

At least the Tinker Gnome is being annoying with the party

What about Gully Dwarf PCs? Do those actually exist?

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Even as a kid I realized that the Cataclysm made zero sense at all. Punishing generations of people because some rear end in a top hat was really arrogant and petitioned management for the ultimate promotion was nonsensical, only the most die-hard fundie "God has a plan that involves little toddlers in Africa dying of AIDS" apologists would go for that poo poo.

coughNegroDoctrinecough

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The whole arc of OG Dragonlance is that they are coming off a miserable near-post-apocalypse into a brighter future. Some of the stuff in Twins is pretty misery-tourism but that's kind of the point, they went back in time to experience this old bad poo poo (or saw the awful consequences of Raistlin's Incel Meltdown) because modern day sure as heck was an improvement.

On another note, I can't believe I'm thinking/writing this much about Dragonlance!!!!!

For the Dragonlance newbs in the audience, one of the eras the Twins time-traveled to was 30 years after the Cataclysm when the gods plunged a large nation beneath the waves and withdrew from the world. The Chronicles book series takes place 351 years after the Cataclysm. In the latter case the world was still in shambles, but it had enough time for generations to get used to the loss and for geo-political boundaries to be long-settled.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Angry Salami posted:

Dragonlance's morality is, in general, pretty screwed up - I suspect it's less the Mormon influence as D&D alignment wackiness. It leans very heavily into the idea that Neutrality should be a balance between Good and Evil, and that this is somehow better than everything being Good.

Dragonlance Neutrals are what Boogie2988 would look like in a fantasy world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Toshimo posted:

I was at GenCon. Where A GOON WHO SHALL NOT BE NAMED hunted me down, in person, to tell me to post more Dragonlance.

I'll be back at work tomorrow and posting lovely fantasy stories, I promise.

Were they angry about your posting rate, or just wanted to geek out with a fellow Krynnologist?