Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Yeah, tinker gnomes could have been pretty cool, but...

They use catapults and nets to get up and down levels in their dumb mountain lab. Someone says "why not stairs" and they're all "Stairs, what are stairs? OK so we should look into this stairs thing maybe, but maybe not because the catapults work just fine about 5% of the time. But stairs you say? Hmmm, what a novel concept! How could they be "improved" in a comedy way that kills the user 3/4 of the time though?" and they're all like that all the time about everything and that's it, there's no actual payoff, that's the only joke and it's the whole joke.

Like, you're waiting for the guy you've seen to be an exiled fuckwit gnome, or the whole dumb thing to be a weird way of misdirecting the enemy, or something, anything to make it less stupid, but nope, it's exactly as idiotic as it looks.

And I feel like that's a microcosm of the Dragonlance setting. It shows you something, and you think "that sounds like it's gonna be neat!" but it's only ever exactly what it looks like and it's usually kinda dumb.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Zeroisanumber posted:

IIRC Tinker Gnomes were created by a magic chaos rock turning an entire dwarven city into a group of damaged fuckwads.

A "magic chaos rock" turns an otherwise industrious city into a madhouse full of deranged maniacs? Written in the 80s? What could it mean?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

W.T. Fits posted:

Kender, yes. Gully dwarves were the result of gnomes and dwarves interbreeding, which adds a whole new layer of unintentional :yikes: to the whole mess.

Mormons are real fuckin' weird about "interbreeding".

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

The setting is a D&D setting where the good god is named Paladin

Why are you expecting any thought?

no it's Paladine it's totally different and original and furthermore

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Nystral posted:

Seconding Xanth. It’s not good and down right creepy. And I only read one or two books.

As a loyal Dragon magazine reader during the launch for Fifth Age where for what felt like an entire year the fiction was all Fifth Age focused short stories, it never clicked with me. The Kender story is the only one that I even half remember and it was basically ten kender go out on an adventure, one wanders off and then there were nine. Slowly counting down until the one kender comes home this broken, miserable adult who has seen all their friends die / disappear on them. But maybe I’m not remembering right. The structure of the fiction sat with me more then content.

Does that one kinda gloss over the bad stuff as it happens? Like the story's literally "he wandered off to do his own thing" and then at the end it drops "actually they died" on you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

...this new miserable version of Krynn.

...how absolutely mean-spirited the whole enterprise seemed.

I feel the same way but I'm starting to think that Krynn was always loving miserable and I just didn't notice when I was 12.