Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mr. Humalong posted:

I’m definitely a latecomer to D&D (never played until 2017), but what’s the general opinion of the Dragonlance setting? I know next to nothing about any of the settings besides Forgotten Realms (seems like a kitchen sink setting) and Eberron (rules imo).

It's not much of a setting outside of the first few novels. It's very approachable because the dragons are integral to the plot, there's very clearly defined good guys and bad guys, and the central characters in the books are a diverse party of adventurers from all walks of life, and they go on a world tour where they interact with basically each major culture and convince them to stop being isolationist dinguses and fight for the greater good. But hardly anyone ever uses it to actually adventure in because there's just not that much to it. But unless you're directly interacting with Raistlin or whatever, there'd be no real difference to running a campaign in Dragonlance than in like Greyhawk or a nameless generic D&D setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Did Dragonlance invent Tinker gnomes, because if it did that might be its greatest crime of all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Tinker gnomes are much, much worse than kender.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

homullus posted:

What's wrong with tinker gnomes, aside from ubiquity? Before those, gnomes were "essentially dwarves, but you'll only ever meet one, and they'll be an illusionist."

Tinker gnomes are a series of endless unfunny jokes about over-engineering that only engineers like. And they directly inspired World of Warcraft's gnomes, which are the same tired joke, but more of it. Even putting aside the obnoxiousness, both in play and in the books, of the gnomes that make weird useless devices that don't work right and are constantly speaking in technobabble, I would always prefer a magical forest gnome to one that just does steampunk inventing in a setting that poorly accommodates it.

David the Gnome ruled, High Tinker Mekkatorque does not rule.

Meinberg posted:

Gully Dwarves show up in the very first book, I believe, so we’ll have plenty of room to dig into them sooner rather than later.

They show up for a brief comedic interlude, but there's an entire book about Flint's backstory with them and it is so much worse.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 23, 2019

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I remember loving the first 6 books as a young teen, and reading some other books here and there, getting distracted by other DnD stuff like the Drizzt books and some Ravenloft stuff. I got all this stuff from my local library, and then I moved and sorta forgot about Dragonlance for a while. Then in college I saw a then-new Dragonlance book for sale on the rack at a bodega, and I picked it up on a whim. It was set in the very distant past of the setting, and it was basically about this one soldier dude rescuing and then being horribly betrayed by a wizard, and everything was grim and miserable and there was barely anything fantastic in the setting. It was also shittily-written. I remember wondering who the hell would enjoy reading about the near-prehistoric beginnings of such an established setting, and concluded that they must've completely mined out the other interesting time periods and were just grasping at straws.

Years later I found out that I had guessed exactly right.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Dragons of Autumn Twilight literally opens with a beautiful pstoral forest town with a gorgeous inn in a tree, and that's not an accident. The world is not in shambles, but it is definitely a poorer place than per-Cataclysm (and that's one of the themes of the OG series, is that they're bringing that stuff back into the world).

Yeah and then all the later books are about that new better world being destroyed by an incessant series of new bad guys.