Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Silhouette posted:

We don't talk about the movie in polite company.

The SA forums, though we've grown less actively malicious, are not and have never been polite company.

Adding to the chorus: I read a lot of Dragonlance as a nerdling before developing the ability to evaluate quality. I think I stopped in the mid-90s? The last I read was Second Generation and Dragons of Summer Flame, after which I didn't particularly care to continue.

I have fonder memories of some of the side books and short stories than the main storyline these days. Weasel's Luck/Galen Beknighted in particular. Some of the Tales and Preludes series, plus a whole freaking lot of the short stories in the anthologies, were obviously written as generic fantasy and clumsily shoehorned into the Dragonlance setting, which did them a disservice. Example that I can't remember the book it was in was Raistlin and Caramon in the city with the cat god dude. The first Dragonlance I ever read - really the first D&D fiction - was the anthology Dragons of Krynn.

Toshimo: You should take an intermission every once in a while to do some of those short stories rather than power through them all at once when you get to the books they're in. Maybe it'll help keep you from burning out going from one epic trilogy to another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Lurdiak posted:

Did Dragonlance invent Tinker gnomes, because if it did that might be its greatest crime of all.

Yes. And kender, so don't undersell it.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Zeroisanumber posted:

IIRC Tinker Gnomes were created by a magic chaos rock turning an entire dwarven city into a group of damaged fuckwads.

This is also the origin of kender, and I believe gully dwarves as well.