Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

tzirean posted:

I love this example so much because you can clearly see the inspiration (the partly-oversimplified reports of Australian aboriginal peoples with "1, 2, many" counting systems), and instead of going with "here's a culture in our fantasy world that also works like that and is no worse off for it," the end result was "look at these stupid fuckers! they're all too dumb to learn how to count!"

sigh

This just reminds me of how Pratchett took that same apocryphal racism and upended it for his trolls by making "one, two, many, lots" into a base-4 counting system just as sophisticated as base-10.

Back to Dragonlance: I guess I'll fess up to being The Biggest Goddamn Nerd of All Time and apparently the only person to read the post-Summer Flame novels, which I think were called the Fifth Age?
Highlights I vaguely remember fifteen years later:
• Evil dragon overlords replaced with bigger eviller dragon overlords… FROM SPAAAACE (literally; they were said to have come from other world through the void. They were still red, blue, white, black, and green, of course. Let's not get crazy or anything)
• Good knight order (honorable and just) and evil knight order (honorable and malicious) joined by neutral knights (honorable and… boring?) because there's definitely not enough rule of threes already in the setting
• Kender homeland gets demolished and now half of them have PTSD. Kender PTSD makes them act like normal people, who can feel fear and don't just grab things from other people without thinking about it. This is definitely a great idea that will age well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU