Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Posting this because it's anime studio related news. This is pretty tragic, but also fairly informative about the role of women animators in the industry. :smith:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/19/world/asia/japan-fire-kyoto-animation.html

quote:

At Kyoto Animation, Women Were Central. When It Burned, They Paid the Price.

By Eimi Yamamitsu, Motoko Rich and Makiko Inoue

July 19, 2019

KYOTO, Japan — He can’t get the women out of his mind.

A day after an apparent arson killed 33 people at an animation studio in the Japanese city of Kyoto, a neighbor, the 81-year-old Ken Okumura, remembered seeing several women jump from the building’s second floor. They were so badly burned that blood was coming from their noses, and all of their clothes but their underwear were gone.

“Just horrible,” Mr. Okumura said on Friday, as the smell of burning still hung in the humid air.

Much was still unknown about the Thursday fire, which appeared to be Japan’s worst mass killing in decades. The police identified Shinji Aoba, 41, as a suspect in the case, based on statements they said he made when he was apprehended. They said Mr. Aoba was being treated for severe burns and had not been arrested.

Japanese news reports, citing unnamed police sources, said the suspect had told the police that he started the fire because he believed the studio, Kyoto Animation, “stole a novel” from him.

NHK, the public broadcaster, reported that Mr. Aoba had served time in prison for robbery and that he was being treated for an unspecified mental illness. The report, which cited an unidentified source, said he lived in the city of Saitama, near Tokyo.

As of Friday, none of the names of the 33 people killed in the fire had been released. What was known was that almost two-thirds of them — 20 — were women.

That appears to reflect a trend in Japan’s animation industry, as well as the hiring practices at Kyoto Animation. There are about twice as many women as men among working animators in their 20s, according to Daisuke Okeda, a lawyer and adviser to the Japan Animation Creators Association.

Male animators still lead the industry, and they outnumber women among animators over 35, Mr. Okeda said. But Kyoto Animation — known as KyoAni to its fans — is known for employing more women, particularly younger women.

More than half of the workers in the burned building were women, based on figures released by the Kyoto fire officials about the dead as well as the dozens of injured.

On Friday, a man distraught about his 21-year-old granddaughter, who worked at Kyoto Animation, told NHK that he could not find her name on lists of people taken to local hospitals.

“She was my pride,” the man, Kazuo Okada, 69, said of his granddaughter, Megumu Ohno. “Her name started appearing on the screens of anime movies. I was so happy to see that. I was proud of her. I want to see her face soon.”

Kyoto Animation was co-founded by Yoko Hatta and her husband, Hideaki Hatta, in 1981, and went on to produce high-quality, meticulously detailed works. They included “The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya,” a science fiction series based at a high school, and “Lucky Star,” whose intelligent female protagonist is distracted from her studies by anime and video games.

Kyoto Animation also played a role in the careers of two star women directors of television anime, said Patrick W. Galbraith, a lecturer at Senshu University who has written extensively about the art form. “That’s significant,” he said.

Naoko Yamada directed the series “K-On!” for Kyoto Animation, and Hiroko Utsumi directed “Free!” a series about a boys’ swimming team. “Free!” stood out in the anime world, often known for being preoccupied with the female form, because it focused on the male body instead.

Ms. Utsumi has since moved to another anime studio, Mappa. According to Nikkan Sports, a daily newspaper, Ms. Yamada was not hurt in the fire.

Kyoto Animation is also unusual among anime studios in that it pays its workers salaries, rather than freelance fees. Japan’s animation industry has been accused of exploiting workers, who work long hours for low wages.

Ironically, KyoAni’s system may have exposed its workers to greater risk by concentrating so many of them in one studio. “It’s a rare system in the industry,” Mr. Okeda said.

The arsonist is believed to have purchased about 10 gallons of petroleum at a gas station near the studio, about half an hour before starting the fire. According to police reports, the man brought it to the studio in two cans, on a hand cart, then poured it out on the building’s first floor and ignited it with a lighter.

“We saw yesterday that anyone can cause mass killings and tremendous damage with cheap and easy tools anyone can obtain in daily life,” said Daiju Wada, a lecturer on security at Seiwa University in Chiba, Japan, and a security consultant. “It’s difficult not to sell gasoline to people.”

Hatsumi Yamashita, 74, who teaches dance at a nearby community center where firefighters treated some of the injured in a garage, remembered seeing one woman sitting on a staircase, wearing what Ms. Yamashita first thought was a jet-black outfit. “But when she laid down on the floor, I saw she was so burned that she was almost naked,” she said.

“I could never forget this young woman,” Ms. Yamashita said.

I hope that those affected and their families will recover swiftly from this terrible tragedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Sentai Filmworks are organising a fundraiser: https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-kyoani-heal?pc=ot_vs_campaignplus_r&rcid=r01-156354457719-63b692582e2247e0

I donated $20aus, and you can too, goon reading this!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://twitter.com/highimpactsex/status/1152148171054866432 https://twitter.com/highimpactsex/status/1152149937003606017 https://twitter.com/highimpactsex/status/1152158990719168512

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

All damned good advice.

This is terrible news- I'm not a fan of KyoAni's work, but as far as I've heard, they actually treat their employees like human beings, and are supposed to be a pretty cool company to work for. That said, the fire shouldn't have happened to anyone who isn't a Nazi or terrorist, and I do encourage people to donate to the link above (it's reputable, right?)

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
It shouldn't have happened to anyone, full stop. Nobody deserves that.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

DrSunshine posted:

quote:

On Friday, a man distraught about his 21-year-old granddaughter, who worked at Kyoto Animation, told NHK that he could not find her name on lists of people taken to local hospitals.

“She was my pride,” the man, Kazuo Okada, 69, said of his granddaughter, Megumu Ohno. “Her name started appearing on the screens of anime movies. I was so happy to see that. I was proud of her. I want to see her face soon.”

This quote was what finally pushed me from numb with shock and horror yesterday to just crying my eyes out this morning. This is so unfair.

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

This post led me to google "ethnic minority groups in Japan". I had no idea there were so many.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

If you want to support then theres stuff like desktop wallpapers directly for sale on the kyoani site

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The site is labyrinthine and i do not have the exact link tho

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rivethead posted:

This post led me to google "ethnic minority groups in Japan". I had no idea there were so many.
That would be the Japanese governmnet's goal. They count everyone as 'Japanese' if they're a Japanese citizen, regardless of their actual ethnicity.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Namtab posted:

The site is labyrinthine and i do not have the exact link tho

To their store?

https://kyoani.shop-pro.jp/

Rivethead posted:

Yeah, some of the history of various groups there is pretty interesting. I found out awhile back that the unidentified asian heritage I had that my family typically assumed was Kazakh or the like might have been Ainu, judging from some heirlooms. It's so far back that there'd be basically no modern connection, but I read up a bit about it at the time.

Unfortunately the treatment of other ethnic groups in Japan is depressingly familiar. I couldn't even find anything definitive about other indigenous groups other than the Ainu, who got about the same treatment as indigenous people tended to get. It was only this year that the Japanese government officially recognized the Ainu as an indigenous group.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Apparently the building somehow passed a Fire Safety inspection last year. And also the roof entrance which was largely untouched by the fire was probbably locked. The hell.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 21, 2019

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Apparently the building somehow passed a Fire Safety inspection last year. And also the roof entrance which was largely untouched by the fire was probbably locked. The hell.

The arsonist blocked stairways and fire exits, it wasn't really an issue of fire safety.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

RatHat posted:

The arsonist blocked stairways and fire exits, it wasn't really an issue of fire safety.

While fire safety inspections aren't meant for people actively trying to kill people, I'd thought from the pictures I'd seen that there weren't any fire escapes or the like, not that they were blocked?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Cuntellectual posted:

While fire safety inspections aren't meant for people actively trying to kill people, I'd thought from the pictures I'd seen that there weren't any fire escapes or the like, not that they were blocked?

The standard for fire safety in many countries is that the main entrances/exits *are* the fire escapes. The principle is that those areas can be fireproofed and made safe for large numbers of people to get out safely.

https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/good-egress/

Unless some murderous fucker sprays gasoline over the area.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 21, 2019

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

RatHat posted:

I've heard this time and time again on the English internet, but I haven't seen anyone post a source for it, nor have I seen it mentioned once on Japanese TV or in Japanese news. As far as I'm aware, the suspect went into the building, splashed a bucket of gasoline near the spiral staircase, possibly pouring some more from jerrycans directly on people, and then lit it up. The buildup of gasoline vapors caused an explosion, injuring the suspect and setting him on fire. He ran out of the building, with an employee chasing him. He only made it a few hundred meters away before collapsing, on account of being on fire.

The suspect did carry some knives with him, but they went unused. He was seen in the area around the studio a few times in the days preceding the arson, but as far as I'm aware he didn't do any kind of preparation like blocking stuff off.

Here's an image of the floorplan taken from Japanese TV that aired the evening of the incident. The only entrance to the building is in the bottom left of the first floor, so there aren't really any fire exits for him to block off anyway. The only staircases are the spiral staircase in the center and the regular staircase at the top; I highly doubt he managed to somehow ninja sneak his way into the building to block them off.

According to the Japanese articles I've read, the fire department has stated that the door to the roof was unlocked. What likely happened is that the initial explosion spread soot and smoke so quickly that no one could see anything at all, and after one person succumbed to smoke inhalation trying to open an unfamiliar door in pitch black, the rest of the people who tried to run to the roof probably couldn't get past their body and all passed away too. I don't know exactly how the fire code works, but Japanese buildings tend to treat regular old windows as fire exits. A lot of buildings will have emergency escape ladders stored in boxes near windows, and you're supposed to keep those areas completely clear, but I think we all know that doesn't always happen. As other posters have mentioned, though, fire codes are meant to protect from regular accidental fires, not an arson where a literal bucket full of accelerant is splashed all over the place.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

According to an actual employee the door is also the the type thats heavy and has two handles.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Spoggerific posted:

I've heard this time and time again on the English internet, but I haven't seen anyone post a source for it, nor have I seen it mentioned once on Japanese TV or in Japanese news. As far as I'm aware, the suspect went into the building, splashed a bucket of gasoline near the spiral staircase, possibly pouring some more from jerrycans directly on people, and then lit it up. The buildup of gasoline vapors caused an explosion, injuring the suspect and setting him on fire. He ran out of the building, with an employee chasing him. He only made it a few hundred meters away before collapsing, on account of being on fire.

The suspect did carry some knives with him, but they went unused. He was seen in the area around the studio a few times in the days preceding the arson, but as far as I'm aware he didn't do any kind of preparation like blocking stuff off.

Here's an image of the floorplan taken from Japanese TV that aired the evening of the incident. The only entrance to the building is in the bottom left of the first floor, so there aren't really any fire exits for him to block off anyway. The only staircases are the spiral staircase in the center and the regular staircase at the top; I highly doubt he managed to somehow ninja sneak his way into the building to block them off.

According to the Japanese articles I've read, the fire department has stated that the door to the roof was unlocked. What likely happened is that the initial explosion spread soot and smoke so quickly that no one could see anything at all, and after one person succumbed to smoke inhalation trying to open an unfamiliar door in pitch black, the rest of the people who tried to run to the roof probably couldn't get past their body and all passed away too. I don't know exactly how the fire code works, but Japanese buildings tend to treat regular old windows as fire exits. A lot of buildings will have emergency escape ladders stored in boxes near windows, and you're supposed to keep those areas completely clear, but I think we all know that doesn't always happen. As other posters have mentioned, though, fire codes are meant to protect from regular accidental fires, not an arson where a literal bucket full of accelerant is splashed all over the place.

There is an employee entrance right next to the spiral staircase, but since that's where the fire started, it wasn't of much use.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I opened the thread to make jokes because i thought it was a dumpster fire or w/e and got hit with genuine tragedy instead, that sucks :(

gently caress this arsonist

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
It hasn't gotten to this point yet (probably since it's the weekend and they're covering the election) but there's already camera crews staked out at the area Kyoani set up to leave flowers and gifts, filming without permission and pressing for interviews.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

a friend of mine is really mad about japanese fire code. does anyone know if the roof access door swung outward or inward?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ninjewtsu posted:

a friend of mine is really mad about japanese fire code. does anyone know if the roof access door swung outward or inward?

I don't though apparently the Roof access a heavy door that required both handles to be pulled.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/highimpactsex/status/1153062446774530048

Hate being in the position of having to hope that my favorite director was 'only' badly burned or something.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Why is the roof access relevant to the fire code at all, you aren't supposed to climb on to the roof when there's a fire. A fire code isn't a terrorist attack preparedness test.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 22, 2019

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Fangz posted:

Why is the roof access relevant to the fire code at all, you aren't supposed to climb on to the roof when there's a fire. A fire code isn't a terrorist attack preparedness test.

I assume it should still probably not be locked in an emergency or be difficult to open. It's not a great place to go, but if other exits are blocked (which can occur for reasons other than a murderer) it should still be an option. Anywhere is better than inside a burning building.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 22, 2019

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

chumbler posted:

I assume it should still probably not be locked in an emergency or be difficult to open. It's not a great place to go, but if other exits are blocked (which can occur for reasons other than a murderer) it should still be an option. Anywhere is better than inside a burning building.

It's not an exit though. In a normal fire, going up to the roof is asking to be trapped up there and greatly increases your chances of death. The fire code is about whether there's safe routes of egress during normal fires. It's about whether the normal exits *can* become blocked.

EDIT: As a fire steward at the university I work at, the roof access is absolutely locked 99% of the time (I'm pretty sure health and safety law practically mandates it, because if some idiot goes up there and trips and falls off, the university is liable) and gently caress knows what we'd do if there's a similar attack. The building is bigger and harder to set fire to, I guess.

Due to the nature of carbon monoxide poisoning the victims probably would have died even if they made it on to the roof.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 22, 2019

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

https://twitter.com/CasReadman/status/1153163341143138304

https://twitter.com/ultimatemegax/status/1153143258698137600

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

https://twitter.com/soukatsu_/status/1153329924914262016

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That thread on fire safety is extremely helpful. I've been wondering about that myself.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Basically, there's only so much procedures and regulations can do when a malicious actor wants to target an act of violence against you. Because they will try to probe for weaknesses and subvert security systems. No one can really deal with that, least of all a group of overworked animators trying their best to make deadlines. Try as you might to make sense of it, lay blame on an overall group, it really was one random act of violence against those who neither deserved nor saw it coming.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm not sure how (or even if) this will interface with things like sentai's GoFundMe, but kyoani has set up an account to directly receive donations.

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1154051222015361029?s=19

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
First named death is Naomi Ishida. Apart from the obvious personal tragedy, she's a huge artistic loss for the studio - she was one of their top colour designers, and did the palettes for Haruhi, Amagi, Hyouka, A Silent Voice, and Liz and the Blue Bird.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Right Stuf will cover the international money transfer fee for transfers to the account kyoani set up

https://twitter.com/rightstufanime/status/1154435111263322115?s=19

And from the sounds of the email I just got the sentai fundraiser has made definite contact with kyoani and is working directly with them to get that money to them as well

Every name that comes out about this is going to be connected in some way to some of my favorite pieces of media and I'm not sure I can adequately deal. My heart just breaks for all the people affected.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

a kitten posted:

Every name that comes out about this is going to be connected in some way to some of my favorite pieces of media and I'm not sure I can adequately deal. My heart just breaks for all the people affected.

Same, although probably not every name since there were some newbies fresh out of college training at Studio 1. Which, of course, only makes me sadder.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/soukatsu_/status/1154491741153701888
https://twitter.com/soukatsu_/status/1154492939709501440

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, let's show these people some respect and let the families grieve peacefully.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

Basically, there's only so much procedures and regulations can do when a malicious actor wants to target an act of violence against you. Because they will try to probe for weaknesses and subvert security systems. No one can really deal with that, least of all a group of overworked animators trying their best to make deadlines. Try as you might to make sense of it, lay blame on an overall group, it really was one random act of violence against those who neither deserved nor saw it coming.

On that note, from the sounds of things the guy took in an enormous amount of petrol that he started spraying around. I wonder if the doors weren't locked or something?

I don't think there's any way to make sense of it, or any group to be blamed. The entire thing is just another absurd, random act of violence is an absurd world. Reasonable measures only work with reasonable people. That being said, if anything can be taken away from this to make it harder to happen in the future... That's about as much as can be hoped for, I guess? :shrug:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
It's important to put as many safeguards in place as you can, but if you don't stop adding thing then it turns into a very dictatorial environment where people are too busy worrying if they're following the rules to live their normal lives. There's always gonna be outliers that break all the rules and ruin the fun for everyone no matter how many rules the a society can withstand. At some point you have to be willing to say "poo poo happens" and move on.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Some good news for once:

https://twitter.com/ultimatemegax/status/1155811137298030592

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hard to say how much of it will still be usable for future projects - character designs meant to be overseen by anyone who's passed away might need to be redone, for instance, or stuff that was designed to be used in context with other material that wasn't scanned before the fire - but at the very least that's a huge relief for animation history.