Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
10 people co-oping one game at a marathon what could go wrong?

I'm sad the thread isn't as active as GDQ, but I'm also glad ESA is small enough that runs can get a bit wild and they can do stuff that maybe GDQ shys away from because they're so big

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

TeaJay posted:

Last night's Yakuza had the same gimmick, as mentioned, and I think it was overall funnier mostly because of froob, but this has still time.

Was froob the Scottish dude? I couldn't breathe because I was laughing so much.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

ESA owns, I've just had a busy and stressful week so I haven't been able to enjoy it.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
I'm kind of floored they put a 100% run of Enter The Dragonfly in

like I'm not making a value judgement (yet) this is just not the pick i expected

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Better that than 3 more I wanna Be The Guy clones tbh.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

raditts posted:

Was froob the Scottish dude? I couldn't breathe because I was laughing so much.

He was the runner. Argick is the scottish guy. (and Metako the announcer)

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
why does this chick own so many pepe shirts

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Healbot posted:

Better that than 3 more I wanna Be The Guy clones tbh.

Why are there so loving many of those things? They don't even seem to have anything to do with the title content-wise.

On a related subject, why are there so many Touhou fan games? Are those made from a kit or something, because I don't know much of anything about those games but it seems like a lot of effort goes into them.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

why does this chick own so many pepe shirts

again?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

raditts posted:

On a related subject, why are there so many Touhou fan games? Are those made from a kit or something, because I don't know much of anything about those games but it seems like a lot of effort goes into them.

Non-cynical: Because it's an engrossing universe with characters and music people like and want to expand upon and Japanese doujin culture is very accepting of derivative works like that

Cynical: the creator gives almost no fucks about his copyright and licenses that poo poo out even for commercial works without being especially discerning about it so it's an easy way to get eyeballs on your thing if it's Touhou.

it's somewhere between these two.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Punchy, a question for you: I think you've disliked the two stream aspect of ESA in the past, but how do you feel about how they've done it this year?

I'm wondering because I have to admit I'm not a fan of how they've done it really. I realise that it's to make the second stream more involved rather than shut away in another room like at previous events, but I dislike the amount of noise and whatnot that can come across from the other game being run. For example there have been some runs I've clearly heard people speaking from the other stream, and in some runs with a lot of excitement from the other, one that comes to mind is Final Fantasy XII where there was a run with a huge amount of excitement on Stream 1 with lots of shouting and silliness spilling over, which somewhat makes me not enjoy watching the run I wanted to (as I can't quite focus as easily especially if the runner is explaining something, etc). Maybe it's a lot better in person though, I mean I'm sure the room energy is great and it's good for the charity.

Maybe I just don't lke fun :shrug: (To be fair I am a boring old British person.)

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

RoboJoe posted:

Punchy, a question for you: I think you've disliked the two stream aspect of ESA in the past, but how do you feel about how they've done it this year?

Still don't like it and that's unlikely to change while they still have it because I dislike it on concept level much less however they choose to execute it.

Having stream 2 in the main room does a lot to make it feel less shuffled away in the corner but it came at the cost of it eating like a quarter of the main hall space which is often not even being used because Stream 2 doesn't run 24/7.

still splits viewer attention/donations etc etc

and yes, people getting hype on one stream can noise bleed into the other which doesn't seem like an especially good thing. It's distracting and can detract from the run that isn't "hype" at that particular moment

ESA already has huge issues with allowing random poo poo to distract the run in progress so why not add another???

i really sincerely think the event would be immeasurably better off if they cut some chaff and just crushed the two schedules together.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

What ESA needs is one single stream, an unified schedule and banning iwbtg games.

Seriously, you could save half the schedule with a moratorium on this drivel.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Healbot posted:

What ESA needs is one single stream, an unified schedule and banning iwbtg games.

Seriously, you could save half the schedule with a moratorium on this drivel.

they must do numbers or something for donations because I have no idea why it gets so much screentime otherwise

like that can't be random

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

i really sincerely think the event would be immeasurably better off if they cut some chaff and just crushed the two schedules together.

Yeah, I think that way too really. I realise I'm a no life nerd but it sucks when I want to watch something on one stream but it means I miss something on the other. I think it would be much better with a single stream.

I doubt it will happen though as it seems the big "gimmick" of ESA to have two streams and way more runs due to that compared to GDQ, so I imagine people will complain if it changes, but a unified stream with more quality runs (less things like IWBTG as you said) would probably help for donations and focused interest like you mentioned.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

yeah idk the staff seems to like it despite the fact I've never had it explained what it is that they think it even adds when I've discussed it with them so I've largely given up criticising it

no point if they're stuck on a bad idea i just settle for refusing to appear on it

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

I started a new job this week and wasn't able to watch as much of the stream as I wanted, so here's the obligatory "what runs do you guys suggest I go back and watch" post.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Also an obligatory “does ESA have a vod site like gdqvods” post

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Also an obligatory does ESA have a vod site like gdqvods post

https://esavods.com/

I have not used it but I guess it should be similar?

My favourite runs this year (still quite a bit to VOD) were:
- Ultima IX (this game is _broken_)
- realMyst
- Fallout 2 (he fails in a really funny way)
- Typing of the Dead (punchy on commentary)
- Sherlock Holmes (has audio issue at some point but gets fixed)
- Phantom Menace
- Nintendogs
- Awful games relay
- The whole of silly games block, really

Also Mass Effect 2 and Divinity: Original sin 2 were runs that had some really fun commentary so check those out as well. Link: Faces of Evil just for terrible cutscenes. Gameplay is good too. Final Fantasy VII was solid again and had nice commentary between Dave and Metako. (drat Carry Armor!)

Event-defining run this year: Yakuza 2 20$ run. That was seriously hilarious. You have no idea what you're in for. (Geoguessr was fun but last year's was better)

For past ESA favourites that capture the essence of ESA, watch Geoguessr last summer and My summer car in 2017 - and of course the Super Mario 64 70 star relay in 2017, that one was also legendary. 70 stars, 70 people.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jul 28, 2019

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

RoboJoe posted:

Yeah, I think that way too really. I realise I'm a no life nerd but it sucks when I want to watch something on one stream but it means I miss something on the other. I think it would be much better with a single stream.

I doubt it will happen though as it seems the big "gimmick" of ESA to have two streams and way more runs due to that compared to GDQ, so I imagine people will complain if it changes, but a unified stream with more quality runs (less things like IWBTG as you said) would probably help for donations and focused interest like you mentioned.

GDQ had two streams before ESA existed :colbert:

You had one stream with the commentary and another with just the game audio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Dr. Stab posted:

GDQ had two streams before ESA existed :colbert:

You had one stream with the commentary and another with just the game audio.
Ah yes, the hell times