Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God drat it, I don't know how to process that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Interview with Rob Thomas about the end of the season and where the show will go from here. Don't read it until you've finished the season folks, even the actual url is a huge spoiler. Some bullet points, containing massive, massive spoilers for season 4: L had to die because Rob wants to transition the franchise into a full noir story instead of a teen drama slash detective story, Leo wasn't intentionally brought back to be her new love interest, the concepts he's kicking around for future Veronica Mars projects aren't set in Neptune (though he hasn't written or pitched anything and nothing's been greenlit).

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

Paracaidas posted:

TherapyLogan and Veronica were a much more interesting pairing to me than BrandoLogan and Veronica, but I don't know how you can build around them as a couple with all the work she has to do. I see that getting into "The only mystery she can't solve.... is herself" territory quickly and I'm not sure anyone other than you and I want that show? Maybe it's the beach vibe, but the finale makes me think of killing Rita in Dexter. That could have gone two directions-Dexter learning to manage his dark passenger and cope with his own grief while being responsible for guiding the kids in a way that may have given greater color to his relationship with Harry, or the writers clearing the board of the obstacles and baggage, and freeing the titular character to do whatever the plot demands. I hope that S5 avoids hammering the reset button, because if they do then I agree with your sour taste 100%.

TurnipFritter posted:

Interview with Rob Thomas about the end of the season and where the show will go from here. Don't read it until you've finished the season folks, even the actual url is a huge spoiler. Some bullet points, containing massive, massive spoilers for season 4: L had to die because Rob wants to transition the franchise into a full noir story instead of a teen drama slash detective story, Leo wasn't intentionally brought back to be her new love interest, the concepts he's kicking around for future Veronica Mars projects aren't set in Neptune (though he hasn't written or pitched anything and nothing's been greenlit).

Agree with everything here. After dwelling on it for a bit, I think what bugs me more about the death was the mechanics of it - running after Parker, the fake-out wedding no-show, etc. But that's not that big a deal.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Who let Benioff and Weiss do his interviews?

The idea that they're looking at moving away from Neptune (not really a spoiler, I don't think? Unlike the rest of the interview...) does not inspire confidence in future seasons for me. The beachnoir and class and race dynamics seem so pivotal to the show.

I'm choosing to believe that it's because they want to do more than Kristen's schedule will allow, so they'll actually do two separate shows moving forward. One starring Matty and the regular crew, rebooting the spunky high school PI for a new generation set in Neptune and the other a less regular miniseries starring globetrotting PI Veronica Mars and very rare appearances from other beloved characters.

A reverse Better Call Saul!

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The only arguably essential Neptune characters are Keith and Dick.

I think the show could pretty easily turn into an anthology deal going forward, but at the very least I hope they could work Keith into anything new. Seems like they'd be going out of their way not to include him, really

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

xbilkis posted:

How dare you exclude Cliff??

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

xbilkis posted:

Excuse me, Mac is on the phone for you from Istanbul. It's long distance so you better pick up quick. She'd like a word with you. We've all just seen what happens in Neptune when she's not around

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I also shamefully left out Vinnie. Don't know what I was thinking

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
This concludes our re-creation of the writers' room during the movie.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I think Neptune's "arc" is done. It's been gentrified. The working poor are being driven out and they are, largely, people of colour. I get how people feel about the last chunk of the show, but I think if they want to move on from the city, it'll only suck if they abandon the issues of class and race the show has always tackled.

Liked the season overall, I think the strongest part of the season was always the strongest part of the show: the banter and relationship between Veronica and Keith.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Dreylad posted:

I think Neptune's "arc" is done. It's been gentrified. The working poor are being driven out and they are, largely, people of colour. I get how people feel about the last chunk of the show, but I think if they want to move on from the city, it'll only suck if they abandon the issues of class and race the show has always tackled.

Liked the season overall, I think the strongest part of the season was always the strongest part of the show: the banter and relationship between Veronica and Keith.

The part where they segue into ‘50s era noir lingo had me in stitches.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I'm starting this show blind and the first episode has me hooked.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"Vison! Wait, I was still on 'bald Avengers'" absolutely slew me.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

The only thing that really annoyed me about the finale was why the hell didn't they take his bag out of the car? they solved the case, defused the bomb at the school, knew he had the bag with him when they left, and presumably would have been slightly suspicious about what the evil bomber had been carrying around with him, stress notwithstanding.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

iajanus posted:

The only thing that really annoyed me about the finale was why the hell didn't they take his bag out of the car? they solved the case, defused the bomb at the school, knew he had the bag with him when they left, and presumably would have been slightly suspicious about what the evil bomber had been carrying around with him, stress notwithstanding.
Things slip your mind in real life all the time. Important things. But if it happens on TV, we have to have a whole conversation about tactical realism.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Well, I finished the season. Overall I liked it a lot. I took some notes going through and made some theories, which was fun.

So I guessed two different bombers pretty early, although I wasn’t sure if it was a strangers on a train type situation or if it was a copycat. I did suspect Nicole for a moment there given the revenge angle, but figured she was a red herring.

Clive was a fun character and he didn’t seem like the type to be the bomber, but I didn’t really expect BD to actually be the bomber. I expected a lot more panic than there was.

The ending I saw coming a mile away. They were never going to keep a happy status quo, and I knew Something was going to happen to him. The bomb in the car was super dumb though, not only would they presumably have checked everywhere the guy went for bombs, it also relied on the timing of the street sweeper. And that the big bad was just casually packing a bomb with him when he got in the car. Kind of a lovely mechanism for the last twist. Still fun, and I think it’s a better send off than V sleeping with Leo or something, which was a good take out.

Velius fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 24, 2019

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

Things slip your mind in real life all the time. Important things. But if it happens on TV, we have to have a whole conversation about tactical realism.

I would have accepted that, too, except for the usual keen eye for that sort of thing by the involved parties, and the fact they made a point of talking suspiciously about the object when they saw it initially.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

LividLiquid posted:

Oh really? You think that immediately after getting married, watching your father and others nearly get killed by a serial bomber, being convinced you were getting left at the altar staggeringly well-lit corridor of a city building, and a couple(?) days after a shootout where you'd been prepared to sacrifice yourself to prevent your father's imminent death, the backpack in the trunk that you almost certainly haven't opened wouldn't be top of mind? I suppose some of us just have different standards. :shrug:

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Great season. It’s been so long since I saw the original series that I barely remembered any of the old characters who turned up, but I don’t recall it being this good. I really liked the ending: Something that downbeat really seemed appropriate for our times. You lost what really mattered to you, the victories were pyrrhic, the rich boomers destroyed the town. Watching this on the same day Boris Johnson became prime minister definitely felt appropriate.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Paracaidas posted:

Oh really? You think that immediately after getting married, watching your father and others nearly get killed by a serial bomber, being convinced you were getting left at the altar staggeringly well-lit corridor of a city building, and a couple(?) days after a shootout where you'd been prepared to sacrifice yourself to prevent your father's imminent death, the backpack in the trunk that you almost certainly haven't opened wouldn't be top of mind? I suppose some of us just have different standards. :shrug:

Yeah, by that point it would be hard to remember, but possibly right after you just caught the mad bomber who had been riding in your car with a big suspicious backpack you had commented on you might be slightly curious about the bag, or even the police arresting him might ask if he'd had anything else with him. like this is a dumb tangent, but it still beggars belief.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

People leave their loving children on the roof of their cars.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
No you don’t get it, after my dad, who I’m super close to, nearly dies in front of my eyes once again, my first thought is "hmm whatever happened to that nondescript bag I saw several hour ago?"

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I forgot about the bag. Most people probably forgot about the bag. Veronica didn't even forget about the bag. She just remembered it when there was no time to do anything about it.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Shouldn't Veronica be rich now, since she just inherited the entire Echolls fortune? Or did Logan lose all his money somewhere along the way?

It seemed weird of them not to acknowledge that at all, and have Veronica just lose her home to gentrification with no comment.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jul 25, 2019

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's alluded to by Dick Jr earlier in the season that while Logan is doing 'fine' he's no longer rich.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Right, Logan even mentions that he is broke after buying the ring. I forgot about that.

I wonder what happened to his family fortune, then. Was that explained in the movie? I watched it back then, but I barely remember anything.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Probably pissed away, it's been a long time since season 3.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Extended stays at the Neptune Grand and the Echolls family Court costs alone would probably take a decent chunk out of his inheritance.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

While it’s totally understandable that Veronica and Keith would forget about the bag in their car, it seems pretty implausible that Penn’s entire plan would hinge on them forgetting it. There is something of the Joker in the Dark Knight about him where a bunch of random poo poo happens and then the show claims that was his far-too-elaborate plan all along.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Comrade Fakename posted:

While it’s totally understandable that Veronica and Keith would forget about the bag in their car, it seems pretty implausible that Penn’s entire plan would hinge on them forgetting it. There is something of the Joker in the Dark Knight about him where a bunch of random poo poo happens and then the show claims that was his far-too-elaborate plan all along.

Or that he would be right in assuming that at a random time there would be anyone in the blast radius they cared about

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

There was no big plan here, it just happened to go the way it did.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

xbilkis posted:

I will say, I was not into how much this season played to the horny segment of the fanbase, so ending it with Logan getting exploded literally between their wedding and their honeymoon was a beautiful gut punch in that regard

Same, and same

Overall I had a blast. As has been alluded to by other posts as much as I like some aspects of the mystery-of-the-week from past seasons I really enjoyed the tighter pacing this season allowed.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Overall I had a blast.

so did neptune

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Watching season 1 and holy poo poo halfway decent representation of a trans person in the 2000s?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SardonicTyrant posted:

Watching season 1 and holy poo poo halfway decent representation of a trans person in the 2000s?
Followed by a hugely transphobic moment with Dick and Beaver in season 2.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

LividLiquid posted:

Dick and Beaver

I mean, come on

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Started a season 1 rewatch and thought "wow, a lot of characters in this show have been raped".

...which is entirely realistic.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Watched it all in one day. What a great show! Left me wanting more, which is a strong contrast from some shows that wear out their welcome.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

pokeyman posted:

Started a season 1 rewatch and thought "wow, a lot of characters in this show have been raped".

...which is entirely realistic.

Had a similar thought during S4 when Keith was trying to connect the dots between the men who committed sexual assault present at the scenes of the bombings. If you're blowin up anything you're bound to hit a stray monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Finished s4 tonight and really really dug it, I'd rank it just behind season 1. Felt like it really cemented Veronica's place in the pantheon of detective fiction, and is why killing off Logan was the right move IMO.

Also, I had no idea about Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's involvement with the series, that kind of blew my mind.