Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

:same:

https://twitter.com/LossThief/status/1158587363628650496

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
Personally, "being earnest in your work and considering your friend's happiness makes you boring, actually" is the frosting on the poo poo cake. :fuckoff:

I hope the show proves the pedo wrong in the end.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

theGrooseofLegend posted:

Personally, "being earnest in your work and considering your friend's happiness makes you boring, actually" is the frosting on the poo poo cake. :fuckoff:

Somehow, I doubt that a guy the show has actively called out as a pedo creep, whose shots are framed like he's the devil, will be shown to be absolutely correct.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

theGrooseofLegend posted:

I doubt they would make him be right, he's not shown in good light at all. Milo-sensei&Hongo seems more likely to end in disaster :( Well, maybe not end but they're moving on a very thin line. I really hope next ep will say something definitive about both of these guys or at least stop shoving creepiness into our faces for once

Anybody knows how many episodes left?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Milo seems to have something going on with the lady teacher, and I'm wondering if Hongo is gonna screw it up in the worst possible way that will make Yamagishi wish he could have just nipped the whole thing in the bud instead of continuing to humor her.

Depending on how this resolved I might want to check out more of Mari Okada's work, if anyone has suggestions. I'm definitely interested in awkward trainwrecks of poor decision making where I can't look away, which seems to be her thing?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Coxswain Balls posted:

Depending on how this resolved I might want to check out more of Mari Okada's work, if anyone has suggestions. I'm definitely interested in awkward trainwrecks of poor decision making where I can't look away, which seems to be her thing?

Black Rock Shooter.

Not even a joke, BRS is Mari Okada's greatest trainwreck by a million miles.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Coxswain Balls posted:

Nagi no Asu kara

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

Milo seems to have something going on with the lady teacher, and I'm wondering if Hongo is gonna screw it up in the worst possible way that will make Yamagishi wish he could have just nipped the whole thing in the bud instead of continuing to humor her.

Not always, but it is something she's good at.

You'll get a lot of people recommending Anohana, I think, and it's really good, but the biggest interpersonal trainwrecks happened before the show proper starts. They still manage some, but they don't have as much room to fall as they might.

If you want an awkward trainwreck with a bodycount, she was the head writer for a Gundam show recently. Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans. It's pretty good. A bunch of teenage mercenaries try to make it big. Questionable decisions, war with the space government, and mass death ensue. It's got more Nagai (the director of Anohana and several other anime Okada worked on) in its development than some of their other collaboration, but several major characters and arcs were her work according to interviews, including the ending.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Coxswain Balls posted:

Hongo's more self-aware than your average infatuated J.K., but she might overreact to his attempts to humiliate her into giving up. He'd squash it, except there's a little part of him that believes he can have his cake and eat it too.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Coxswain Balls posted:

I'm definitely interested in awkward trainwrecks of poor decision making where I can't look away, which seems to be her thing?

Mayoiga is a trainwreck in several ways that I nevertheless found entertaining.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Agronox posted:

Mayoiga was like a standalone Twilight Zone episode stretched to a cour.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wixoss is Mario Okada's best exploration of female sexuality, as shown through a card game anime that never explains the rules of the card game. It rules.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Agronox posted:

I'm a bit disappointed that Mayoiga wasn't what I expected going in, but I also enjoyed it.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Everything about Mayoiga was 100% intentional and you cannot convince me otherwise.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Mister Olympus posted:

Everything about Mayoiga was 100% intentional and you cannot convince me otherwise.

Well the story was by Okada and it was directed by the same guy who did Shirobako and GuP. It's definitely intentional. It still doesn't really work, but it's fun.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Thanks for all the recommendations everyone, good to know there's a lot of different stuff to look into.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Mister Olympus posted:

I remember there was a post in this forum breaking down how the visuals were designed to be reminiscent of a low-budget horror movie, in a way that would be easy to do with cheap props and effects in live action but actually required a lot of extra effort in animation.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I had to stop and watch the Chika Dance at that scene midway through the latest. Goddamn, yo

Also, I can't help but realize - is the studio the same one as the one that did Kuzu no Honkai/Scum's Wish? The character designs look crazy familiar.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
The stuff with Nina was awful, but Momo and Sonezaki saved the episode.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Huzza, a good episode for the not unrequited love characters!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
That was not exactly enthusiastic Izumi but good job Kazusa!

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

MJP posted:

I had to stop and watch the Chika Dance at that scene midway through the latest. Goddamn, yo

Also, I can't help but realize - is the studio the same one as the one that did Kuzu no Honkai/Scum's Wish? The character designs look crazy familiar.

that director/studio is actually producing astra lost in space this season (and you can see some of their shot framing techniques carry over)

this appears to be the first character design credit for this show's character designer

anyway the bonfire scene was p good overall

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Sonezaki is the frikken best, and I hope she lightens up and becomes friends with the cool girl in her class.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

Sonezaki is the frikken best, and I hope she lightens up and becomes friends with the cool girl in her class.

The cool girl seems to think they're friends already, and Sonezaki is much more accepting of that by the end of this episode.

Things are obviously going to go wrong soon, but it's nice that at least some things are going right for the moment.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

chiasaur11 posted:

The cool girl seems to think they're friends already, and Sonezaki is much more accepting of that by the end of this episode.

Things are obviously going to go wrong soon, but it's nice that at least some things are going right for the moment.

Sonezaki and Sugawara are the two opposite extremes of being a very pretentious teenager.

Hopefully Momo can deflect that drama-seeking missile before it does too much damage.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

BIG STEPPY

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
The scene when Hongo hears some guys talking about her writing was so cute. I remember when I read one of my stories publicly for the first time. Gosh, that was exausting and exhilarating at the same time.

Can't wait for Hongo's novel written out of sheer frustration :allears:

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
There's almost always one drama/comedy that I love each season, and this is the one for summer 2019. The serious parts make the funny parts all the more funny, and vise versa.

The opening song is amazing, and I love all the drama bombs, including the ones that were in the latest episode. 100% glad Momo told the guy off this episode as well.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Apparently it's bad decisions week.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

Apparently it's bad decisions week.

They're teenagers (and Milo).

Faster to catalog when it isn't bad decision week.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 30, 2019

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Milo's definitely the biggest idiot.

Smugezaki remains wonderful.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I guess this show won't let more than one couple be happy at the same time.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

People need to be less willing to listen to paedophiles and less willing to play paedophile chicken

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Desire is really good at circumventing the conscious and/or rational side of the brain and making you act like a complete idiot.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yawgmoft posted:

I guess this show won't let more than one couple be happy at the same time.

At the start of the episode, both Kazusa and Sonezaki were in happy relationships. It's a new record for the show, even aside from Sonezaki's new friend and the milquetoast looking guy.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Qwertycoatl posted:

People need to be less willing to listen to paedophiles and less willing to play paedophile chicken

Him encouraging Niina's pursuit of Izumi for his entertainment is just revolting. Considering his own tastes, trying to orchestrate this step in her adolescence toward a destructive outcome is some serial killer poo poo.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Btw, I don't know how popular The Little Prince is in America, or wherever you guys are, but I had it as an obligatory reading assignment at least once when I was like 11-13 and read a couple times. So when the creep called Niina being like "Hey, check out this fancy book I've got here, it's called "The Little Prince"", I laughed. I laughed a lot.

Hey, does anybody know what foreign literature Japanese students read at school?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Makatka posted:

Btw, I don't know how popular The Little Prince is in America, or wherever you guys are, but I had it as an obligatory reading assignment at least once when I was like 11-13 and read a couple times. So when the creep called Niina being like "Hey, check out this fancy book I've got here, it's called "The Little Prince"", I laughed. I laughed a lot.

Hey, does anybody know what foreign literature Japanese students read at school?

Anne of Green Gables, resulting in a surprisingly high number of Japanese tourists to Prince Edward Island.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Dog of Flanders is very popular

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Back to the Future references are widely understood.