Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

“That’s very good. Yep. The Upper Missouri Development Corporation, of which I am president and principal shareholder – pardon me, is something amusing you?” Her single eye was like a flint. “Perhaps you think it’s unusual for a woman to be head of a large corporation?”

In fact I’d been musing cheerfully on the words “upper” and “development”, but I couldn’t tell her that. “No, I was remembering how I introduced Prince Bismarck to boxing – I do beg your pardon. As to your position, I know several ladies who preside over quite large enterprises, including the Queens of England and Madagascar, the Empress of China, and the late Ranee of an Indian kingdom. You remind me of her very much; she was extraordinarily beautiful.”

She didn’t bat an eyelid. “Our company,” she went straight on, “owns extensive lands on the Missouri river – it mayn’t be familiar to you? Oh-kay – the area in question is located around a steamboat landing recently renamed Bismarck, after your friend the Chancellor, although I guess he doesn’t know it.” She drew on her cigarette. “We intend to take advantage of that coincidence to attract German settlers and financial interests to the region. Yep. Vast sums will be involved, and a personal endorsement – maybe even a visit – by the German Chancellor would be invaluable to us. Oh-kay?”

“My dear lady! You don’t expect Bismarck to come to America? He’s fairly well occupied, you know.”

“Obviously that’s highly unlikely.” She said it dismissively. “But an endorsement – even an expression of interest and good will on his part – is certainly not. Naturally we’ll canvass the German government. But a personal approach, from one who knows him well, would be far more likely to enlist his personal sympathy, wouldn’t you say? Just his signature, on a letter approving the plan, would be worth many thousands of dollars to us.”

“You’re suggesting,” says I, “that I should ask Otto Bismarck to give his blessing to your scheme?”

“Yep. Correct.”

Interesting to see someone no-sell Flashman completely.

quote:

Well, I’d heard of Yankee enterprise, but this beat the band. Mind you, it wasn’t crazy. A respectable scheme, brought to Bismarck’s attention, might well win a kind word from him, and trust the Americans to know how to turn that sort of thing into hard cash. The beautiful thought was Flashy writing: “My dear Otto, I wonder if you remember the jolly times we had in Schonhausen with Rudi and the rats, when you made me impersonate that poxy prince …” Could I blackmail him, perhaps? Perish the thought. But I could smell profit in her scheme, money and … I was watching her inhale deeply. By Jove, yes, money was the least of it. She stroked her cheek with the hand holding the cigarette and watched me speculatively. Was there a glimmer of more than commercial interest in that fine dark eye? We’d see.

“I’d have to know a good deal about your scheme before—”

“Yep. We’d want you to visit the town of Bismarck, as well as examining our plans in detail. A few weeks would—”

“Bismarck!” I exclaimed. “Wait – isn’t that the place – yes, on the Missouri – close by an army post called Fort Abraham Lincoln? Why, it’s right out on the frontier!”

“Corr-ect. Why, d’you know it?”

“No, but a friend of mine – in fact, the man you saw lunching with me at the Brevoort – commands at Fort Lincoln. Well, that’s an extraordinary thing! Why, I was with him only today—”

“Is that so? I was about to say that when you’d been shown the area, and had the plans explained, you would be able to write Prince Bismarck – or visit him if you thought it advisable. The corporation would meet all expenses, naturally, in addition to—”

“Who’d show me the area? Yourself, personally?”

“—in addition to a fee of fifteen thousand dollars. Yep.” She crushed out her cigarette. “Myself. Personally.”

“In that case,” says I gallantly, “I should find it impossible to refuse.” She looked at me woodenly and put another cigarette between her full lips, lighting it herself before I could bound to assist.

“Of course,” says I, “I can’t promise that Bismarck will—”

“We would pay five thousand of the fee on despatch of your personal letter to the Chancellor, drafted in consultation with us,” says she crisply, and blew out her match. “The balance would be dependent on his reply – five thousand if he replies but declines, ten thousand if he approves. According to the warmth of that approval, a bonus might be paid.”

Fraser couldn't write any other part of the world like this, you really do get a feel for the endless possibility whitey's mugging for himself on this continent.

quote:

A business-like bitch if ever there was one; cold as a dead Eskimo, rapping out her terms and looking like the Borgias’ governess. I told her it all sounded perfectly satisfactory.

“Oh-kay.” She struck a bell on her desk, and spoke past me as the door opened. “Reserve a first-class sleeping berth for Sir Harry Flashman, V.C., K.C.B., to Bismarck and return.” The door closed. “There’s a hotel there, but I wouldn’t put a dawg in it. Can you arrange to stay with your military friend? If not, we’ll rent the best rooms available. You can? Oh-kay.”

She put down her cigarette, rose, and went to an escritoire against the wall. I watched the tall, shapely figure lustfully, considering the curls that nestled around her ears, and the entrancing profile under the lustrous piled hair. It’s my experience that a woman with a shape like that will invariably use it for the purpose which Nature intended. She might be a proper little Scrooge, with her cold efficiency and twanging voice and impersonal stare, but she didn’t dress in that style, and paint in that artful way, to help balance the books. If I couldn’t charm her supine, it was time to retire. As I got up she turned and came towards me with that smooth stride, holding out an envelope towards me.

“It’s the corporation’s policy,” says she, “to pay a retainer in advance.” At a yard’s distance I realised she was barely three inches shorter than I.

“Quite unnecessary, my dear,” says I pleasantly. “By the way, you still have the advantage of me, Miss … or Mrs …?”

“Candy. Mrs Arthur B. Candy.” She continued to hold out the envelope. “We’d prefer that you took it.”

“And I’d prefer that I didn’t. Arthur,” says I, “has a sweet tooth,” and before she could stir I had my hands on that willowy waist. She quivered – and stood still. I drew her swiftly against me, mouth to mouth, feeling the glorious benefits and working to get her lips apart; suddenly they opened, her tongue flickered against mine, she writhed against me for five delicious seconds, and as I changed my grip to the half-Flashman – one hand on her right tit, t’other clasping her left buttock, and stand back, referee – she slipped smoothly from my embrace.

“Yep,” says she, and without the least appearance of hurry she was behind her desk again, seating herself and making a minute adjustment to her eyepatch ribbon. “Arthur Candy,” she went on calmly, “never existed. But in working hours, the inital B. stands for business.” Her hand rested beside her bell, “Oh-kay?”

“Business is so fatiguing, you know. Don’t you think you ought to lie down? All work and no play—”

“I have a full sked-yool for the next ten days,” she went on briskly, consulting her calendar. “Yep. I intend to be in Bismarck around the third week of May. That gives you ample time to travel out at your convenience. When I arrive I’ll check with Coulson’s, the steamboat people, and we can meet at their office.”

“I’ve a much better notion. Suppose we travel out together?”

“That’s quite impossible, I’m afraid. I have appointments.”

“I’m sure you have,” says I, sitting on the corner of her desk à la Rudi Starnberg, although I don’t recall his knocking a tray of pins to the floor. “But, d’you know, Mrs Candy, there’s a good deal I ought to know about your corporation beforehand, I think. After all—”

“You can check with the New York City Bank as to our standing, if that bothers you. And there’s the retainer.” She gestured with her cigarette. I picked up the envelope – a sheaf of greenbacks, in hundreds – and dropped it back on her desk.

“The only thing that bothers me, as you are well aware,” says I, “is the corporation president. Will she do me the honour of dining with me this evening? Please?”

“Thank you, Sir Harry, but I’m engaged this evening.”

“Tomorrow, then?”

“Tomorrow I leave for Cincinnati.” She stood up and held out her hand. “May I say on behalf of the corporation that we’re both pleased and honoured that you are joining us in this enterprise?” She said it with calm formality, eye steady, the full mouth firm and expressionless. “Also that I am wearing a boot with a sharp toe and a pointed heel, and I’d like my hand back. Thank you.” She struck the bell, and her bloody watchdog appeared. “I’ll probably arrive at Bismarck by steamboat – the corporation has an interest in the company, so if your friend can put you up till then, perhaps we can arrange accommodation aboard afterwards.” Her smile was admirably polite and impersonal. “They’re extremely comfortable, and it will be so much pleasanter if we travel by water. Easier to see the country, too. Yep. You’re sure you won’t take the retainer? Oh-kay. Good afternoon, Sir Harry.”

And there I was in the corridor, considering various things. Chiefly, that I admired Mrs Candy’s style – the hard, no nonsense aloofness, punctuated by a brief impassioned lechery, was one I’d encountered occasionally, but I’d never known it better done. Why, though? Her proposal was rum, but plausible – even reasonable. There’d been a cool thou. at least in that envelope, and my sensitive nose hadn’t smelled swindle – it would have been all the way to the sofa and break the springs if she was crooked, which was one reason I’d tested her with a grapple. No, my guess was that she was a lusty bundle who kept a tight rein on her appetite during office hours, just as she’d said, but would let rip once the shop was shut. For the rest, her scheme made sense: Otto’s blessing would be worth a fortune to her (not that she’d ever get it through me), and even if I didn’t make more than the first payment out of it, playing with the corporation president on a steamboat cruise would be ample compensation – for her, too, lucky Mrs Candy. And Elspeth would be fast in Philadelphia for another month anyway.

The one fishbone in my throat was the queer chance that I’d be going to Bismarck, next door to George Custer’s fort. It’s the sort of coincidence I don’t trust an inch, but I was damned if I could see a catch. He’d sworn he was going to defy Grant and leave town tomorrow, so why shouldn’t I go west with him? – I might even pretend that I was taking him up on his invitation to join his ghastly campaign, supposing the silly rear end was allowed to have one. It might be an amusing trip to Bismarck with him, too …

By God, but it was all suspiciously pat! The wild notion that Custer had set Mrs Candy on to lure me west so that he could drag me along in pursuit of the Sioux crossed my mind, and I found I was grinning. No, that didn’t answer – not having seen the exotic Mrs Candy. Not puritan George.

And with that unintented backhand compliment we bring the chapter to a close.

Perhaps we'll find out of the town would meet Bismarck's liking... next time!

Arbite fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
It's very interesting to look at some of Flashman's period caddishness through the lens of the current day. I mean, he meets a woman who offers him a business opportunity. He assesses, based mostly on some huge assumptions on her appearance (and perhaps a little about her body language and demeanour, but he might well be kidding himself) that she is aflame with suppressed lust for him. So the moment he gets her alone, after trying to flirt a bit and having her be coldly businesslike, he .... just grabs ahold of her and starts kissing her, with a good bit of gropage thrown in?

He'd be the villain in almost any other books. While the author is very aware of his villainy, I also suspect that a female author, or one writing today, would at the least have thrown in a few more instances where his 'advances' are greeted as the sexual assaults they really are.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

The rail trip west was a fine mixture of boredom and high diversion. Custer was in a hysteric turmoil, what between his rage at Grant and his own recklessness in leaving Washington without permission. He was like a small boy smashing his toys in a bawling tantrum while watching with fearful fascination to see what Papa will do. He was all over me again, excusing his ill-temper at the White House as mere frenzy of disappointment; I was the truest of friends, rallying to his side when all others had forsaken him, I was a tower of strength and comfort – what, I would come west with him, even? Oh, this was nobility! Enobarbus couldn’t have done better. Let him wring my hand again.

“As for that rattlesnake Grant,” cries he, as we climbed aboard at the depot, me chivvying the porter and Custer waving his cane with his hat on three hairs, “let him prevent me if he dares! I have a voice, and the public have ears. Conductor, I am General George A. Custer and I have reservations. We’ll see if his spite outruns his sense of self-preservation. First in horsemanship, does he say? A fine crowd of cripples they must have had at the Point that year!”

I had two days of this, all the way to Chicago; he was like a pea on a drum one minute and gnawing his knuckles in silent gloom the next. The Stuffed Gods would get him if they could, he was sure of it, and became almost lachrymose; then he would brighten as he recalled the news that only a few weeks back General Crook, making the first tentative move against the Sioux hostiles from the south, had blundered into the camp of Crazy Horse himself, and after a mismanaged action which accomplished nothing but the destruction of the Indians’ tipis, with scant loss on either side, had retired discomfited to Fort Fetterman.

Not having it all there own way, then.

quote:

“Imagine it!” gloats Custer, bright with scorn. “The arch-hostile in their grasp, and they let him slip! They burn a few lodges, kill an old squaw and a couple of children, capture the Indians’ ponies – which they promptly lose again next day – and Crook counts it a victory. Ye gods, it doth amaze me! Crazy Horse must be helpless with laughter. And Grant thinks he can do without me on the frontier?” He laughed bitterly. “Crook – because he’s scrambled after a few Apache renegades they think he’s an Indian fighter. Well, he knows now what real hostiles are! Perhaps our perspicacious President does, too, and will have to swallow his gall and put me back where I belong.”

I asked him mildly how he’d set about it, and he scowled. “Even if Grant sees sense, I’ll still not have full command – no, that’s for your genteel friend General Terry, who has never fought an Indian in his life – an impressive qualification, is it not?” He waved a dismissive hand. “Fortunately, the dispositions are so simple a child could direct them – Terry and I will march to the Yellowstone and strike into the Powder country from the north; old Gibbon’s infantry column will advance from the west; and Crook, supposing he has collected himself before Christmas, will come up from the south – all converging, you see, so that Crazy Horse and Sitting Bull and all their hands will be ringed in, at bay.” He smiled complacently, and winked. “And I, bien entendu, have charge of the cavalry, who move rather faster than anyone else.” Then his face fell again. “Unless that rascal in Washington hobbles me at the last. But he can’t, Flashman, I tell you! He can’t!”

But he could. There was an embarrassed staff-walloper on the platform at Chicago to convoy our hero to General Sheridan forthwith, and from little Phil we learned that Sherman had sent word that the Sioux expedition was definitely to proceed without Custer. The resultant explosion of grief and rage shook the furniture, with me tactfully silent and enjoying every minute of it, and Sheridan looking more like an unhappy tramp than ever. Custer went wild; as heaven was his witness, he’d call Grant out, or sue him, or have him impeached, and in the meantime he was going on to Fort Lincoln if he had to swim through blood all the way. Sheridan observed bluntly that he could go to hell if he wanted, but if he hoped to see service on the way, he’d better think of a means of making his peace with Grant.

Yes, peace is a great thing. What were we talking about?

quote:

“How can I,” bawls Custer, “when he will not see me?”

“Neither would I, in your present condition,” says Sheridan. “I tell you straight, you’d better take hold, and stop acting like some damned opera singer. You’re your own worst enemy, George. I’ll telegraph Sherman again, but you’d better put your case to Terry, and if he wants you badly enough, maybe Grant’ll listen.”

Custer rolled an eye at me, as much as to say: “You see how I am used!”, and I shepherded him on to the train to St Paul, all agog for Act II. It was like East Lynn over-played, for Custer had apparently decided that the best way to approach the mild and courtly Terry was as a good man wronged; it would have broken your heart to see him clasping Terry’s hand, tears in his eyes, swearing that if he were not permitted “to hazard myself in honour’s cause, at the head of the regiment which has followed me so faithfully and far”, it would bring down his grey hairs in sorrow to the knacker’s yard, and there’d be nothing for it but to clap a pistol in his mouth and call in the decorators. He described, with outflung arm, how I had abased myself to Grant on his behalf, “beseeching” if you please, and when he actually went down on the carpet and fairly grovelled, Terry didn’t know where to look.

General Alfred Terry, one of the less celebrated figures in the civil war (post-bellum opposition to the Klan may have something to do with that), consistently aquitted himself rather well. While rarely at the most exciting parts of the conflict he would be well regarded by his peers and found himself staying in the army.

Let's continue this awkward position... next time.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Genghis Cohen posted:

He'd be the villain in almost any other books.
That's the entire concept of the series, yes

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Genghis Cohen posted:

It's very interesting to look at some of Flashman's period caddishness through the lens of the current day. I mean, he meets a woman who offers him a business opportunity. He assesses, based mostly on some huge assumptions on her appearance (and perhaps a little about her body language and demeanour, but he might well be kidding himself) that she is aflame with suppressed lust for him. So the moment he gets her alone, after trying to flirt a bit and having her be coldly businesslike, he .... just grabs ahold of her and starts kissing her, with a good bit of gropage thrown in?

He'd be the villain in almost any other books. While the author is very aware of his villainy, I also suspect that a female author, or one writing today, would at the least have thrown in a few more instances where his 'advances' are greeted as the sexual assaults they really are.

He’s the villain in these books. Flashman’s a monster, and the author tells us that in so many words several times. He’s just an entertaining monster, so it’s hard to dislike him as much as the character deserves.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Beefeater1980 posted:

He’s the villain in these books. Flashman’s a monster, and the author tells us that in so many words several times. He’s just an entertaining monster, so it’s hard to dislike him as much as the character deserves.

He's generally not THE villain of the book, he's usually facing someone worse. Also as the series progresses it's noticeable he goes from villain who steals glory to being heroic, just not willingly.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Villain of the books is Elspeth

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Anne Whateley posted:

That's the entire concept of the series, yes

Beefeater1980 posted:

Perhaps I should have used the term 'antagonist' instead. What I was really getting at in his behaviour in that last excerpt, is that many examples of Flashman's attitude to women aren't the focus of his villainy. They are sort of protrayed more as incorrigible caddishness. I never got the impression, when I was a teenager first reading these books, that there was any real negative view of his constantly objectifying and propositioning women. Maybe that says more about me as a reader at that time. But my reading was always that his lying, betrayal and cruelty were his villainous traits; most of the sex stuff was pitched as him being more honest than his sanctimonious, prim and proper contemporaries. Whereas really it's a lot more of a sinister element of his MO.

Norwegian Rudo posted:

He's generally not THE villain of the book, he's usually facing someone worse. Also as the series progresses it's noticeable he goes from villain who steals glory to being heroic, just not willingly.

I remember describing this cowardly anti-hero to someone and then lending them the book, I believe it was Royal Flash. They came back and said 'what do you mean, he's not a coward?'. Flashman dwells at length about how scared he is at all times, much of his proclaimed motivation is avoiding danger (rarely successfully). But in fact he is strikingly cool headed in action and many times will undertake daring feats to preserve his reputation or avoid a worse danger. There are plenty of episodes where he fights single combats hand to hand. By any sane metric he's a consummate man of action. His cowardice rests on comparison to stuff upper lip Victorian action heroes, who never let a tremor of self-preservation enter their thinking, and on his fairly rational willingness to grovel and blubber if he thinks it's the best way out of something.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I mean there's the straight-up rape in book 1, besides all the scenes where it's very questionably consensual (where the woman is his captive, slave, tied up and crying, etc. -- but in the narrative he's sure she's into it). I think that's partly you as a teenager and partly what year it was when you read it.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

“Do you think he’ll do himself a mischief?” Terry asked me when the suppliant had retired, and I said, on the whole, no, but if he didn’t get his way, Grant would be well advised to stay out of Ford’s Theatre if Custer was in town.

“It is deeply distressing,” says Terry. “I wish he wouldn’t take on so; it isn’t becoming. You’ve seen Grant, though – what d’you think? Will he be swayed if I speak on Custer’s behalf?”

“If you don’t, you’ll be about the only man in the Army who hasn’t,” says I. “But you’ll carry more weight than all the rest – it’s your expedition, and I’d hate to be the Commander-in-Chief who denied you your choice of senior men. Suppose he refused to give you Custer, and the expedition went wrong – say the cavalry were mismanaged by his replacement? The Democrats could make hay of that, I should think. No, if you ask for Custer, Sam daren’t risk a refusal.” And to increase the fun I added: “Custer knows it, too.”

He stiffened at that. “I’ll not be made a cat’s paw!” Then he frowned. “Is it true, d’you think, that Custer has … hopes of high office? I’ve heard rumours …”

“That he’d take a stab at the White House? Shouldn’t wonder – you Americans have a habit of promoting your military heroes, haven’t you? Washington, Jackson, Grant – back home we did it with Wellington, and bloody near had a revolution. Before my time, of course. However, that don’t help you. The point is: d’you want Custer along?”

The Wellington years had some jolts of reform but this is a bit of an overstatement.

quote:

“It is difficult not to be moved by his plea,” he mused; he was a proper soft head prefect, this one. “And if this unhappy Belknap business had not arisen, there’d have been no question of Custer’s removal. No – I believe it would lie heavy on my conscience if I didn’t exert myself on his behalf.”

Conscience, you see? Note that; it’s a bigger foe of mankind than gunpowder.

Between us we concocted an appeal to Grant – me suggesting the more abject and crawling phrases which I knew would drive Custer to apoplexy, and Terry striking them out. Then I took it to Custer for his signature; he tore his hair and swore he’d die before he’d “truckle to that miscreant Grant.”

“You put your John Hancock on that, my boy,” says I, “or it’s all up with you. Let me tell you, it would have been a sight more humiliating for you if Terry had had the writing of it; I had the deuce of a job persuading him to appeal to Grant at all. If you refuse this, I’ll not answer for the consequences: Terry’s about ready to wash his hands of you.”

“You can’t mean it?” cries he in panic, and scribbled his signature, insisting that I was his truest friend, etc. It went over the wire, and with Terry and Sherman and Sheridan and Uncle Tom Cobleigh and all besieging him, Grant finally gave way, and the word came back: Custer could go with his regiment. Why, God knows; if I’d been in Grant’s shoes I’d have cashiered the bastard, just for spite.

Custer’s behaviour after this was a revelation, even to me. I guess he remembered what an rear end he’d made of himself to Terry, for he thanked him pretty curtly, and when we were on the train to Bismarck he confided to me that Terry would have been a fool to act otherwise. “There would have been mutiny in the 7th if I had not been restored,” says he smugly. “Then where would Lawyer Terry have been? If he’s done anyone a kindness, it is himself, not me.” And he’d been weeping on the fellow’s boot-laces, so help me. I was beginning to wonder if Custer wasn’t perhaps some by-blow of the Flashman family.

This suspicion was dispelled when we reached Fort Lincoln, about a week after leaving Washington, for I hadn’t been at the place a day before I realised that Custer lacked one quality which I and my kindred have by the bucket: popularity. I don’t know how much his troopers cared for him, but his officers clearly disliked him. I don’t say it was on professional grounds; I believe most of them respected him as a soldier, but as a man they’d have had a hard job tolerating him. This was a new slant to me; you see, he’d toadied me on account of my fame and success, and ever since the Belknap business he’d been in such a high-flown state that his character couldn’t be judged; now, in his own mess, I saw the fellow’s bounce and arrogance in full flight, and knew that whatever else it might be, the 7th wasn’t a happy ship.

What, it wasn't all cheerfully milling about the regimental piano?

quote:

His senior officers, you see, were fellows of long service and good name who’d held higher ranks in the war than they did now, and it’s no fun for a good man who’s been a colonel, and knows how a colonel should behave, to take snuff from a demoted general. His top major, Reno, who seemed a dapper, quiet, clever sort of chap, concealed any animosity he may have felt, but the dominant spirit in the mess, a big burly bargee with prematurely white hair and a schoolboy’s eyes and grin, called Benteen, seemed ready to lock horns with Custer as soon as look at him. I saw it within a minute of meeting him: he pumped my hand jovially and wanted to talk cricket with me – which I thought deuced strange in an American, but it seemed he’d played as a boy and was a keen hand. Custer listened with a jaundiced air as we discussed those mysteries which are Greek to the uninitiated, and finally observed that it sounded a dull enough pastime, at which Benteen says: “Well, then, colonel, what game shall we talk about? Kiss-in-the-ring or blind man’s buff?” and Custer gave him a glare and took me off to meet Keogh, a jolly black Irishman who had family connections with the British Army – and that didn’t suit Custer either, evidently; I was his lion, I suppose, and to be welcomed as such. Again, there was Moylan, up from the ranks and with sergeant’s mess written all over him, which didn’t stop Custer from mentioning the fact in presenting me.

Then there was a large Custer faction at the fort: his brother Tom, whom I knew, and another brother, Boston, who was a civilian but had some commissary post or other, and Calhoun, Custer’s brother-in-law, who seemed a good sort – but in my experience, let too much family into a regiment and you let in trouble; it must make for a house divided. Don’t mistake me: I don’t blame the unhappy officers’ mess for what happened later, any more than I blame the Balaclava fiasco on the fact that Lucan and Cardigan detested each other. Both disasters would have happened if Custer’s 7th had been all loving and loyal, and Lucan and Cardigan sworn chums. I’m just reporting what I saw.

The fort itself was a dismal enough place, on flat land west of the river, with baldhead prairie stretching away forever and coyotes waking the dead at night. Bismarck, an ugly settlement where the Northern Pacific railroad stopped, was about four miles down on the east bank; I took a prowl through it, and thanked God I wasn’t staying there, for while it was bustling enough and like to spread and prosper, it was still rough and ready, with streets awash with mud and slush, touts and roughs and sharps abounding, and the grog-shops and whore-houses open day and night. I hired a trap and drove out of town, and while I’m no farmer, it looked to me as though the Upper Missouri Corporation might be on a good thing – rail and river convenient, good soil by the millions of empty acres, and nothing missing except thousands of contented kraut-eaters to be enslaved to the company store.

Not the kind of spot that would hold me for long, though, and it was only the thought of the delectable Mrs Candy that made life at Fort Lincoln tolerable in the two weeks I was there – gad, the discomforts I’ll endure for the sake of a fresh skirt. But I was looking forward to this one with unusual zest; your melting ones ain’t in it with the cool teasers when it comes to the bit. In the meantime, Libby Custer and the other wives were at pains to make me at home, Benteen scented my soldier’s interest and showed me about the post, and I formed my impression of this famous 7th Cavalry of which no doubt you’ve heard so much.

For the time and the place they weren’t bad – not to compare with Johnny Reb cavalry or Cardigan’s Lights or Scarlett’s Heavies or the Union horse in the Civil War, or Sikhs or Punjabis either, but then these were all soldiers at war, most of the time, and the 7th weren’t. I’ve heard tell since that they were the finest unit of horse in the American Army at the time, and it may be so; I’ve also heard that they were a drunken, brutal parcel of rascals and drunkards and misfits, and that’s a downright lie. They had their bad hats, but no more than any other regiment. They were hellish young, though; I watched Calhoun’s troop at exercise, smart enough and rode well, but so many fresh faces I never did see. I’ve been told since that a third of ’em had never faced an enemy. That’s nothing: I doubt if one man in ten of the Light Brigade had heard a shot in anger before we landed in Calamity Bay, and they proved themselves the best that ever rode to battle anywhere. The 7th Cavalry would have been as crack a regiment as you could wish, given a campaign to teach them their trade. They were good boys, and let nobody tell you different. And Jeb Stuart or Cromwell himself couldn’t have done a whit better than they did when the time came.

Strong words, strong comparisons, let's see how that happened... next time!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

I have to give Custer the credit for that. In the ten days at the fort he drove them hard, and his officers likewise. If there was a loose shoe or a galled back or a trooper who didn’t know his flank man, it wasn’t the colonel’s fault. He fussed over that regiment like a boy with a new bride; he couldn’t do enough for it, or let it alone. At the same time he was deep in discussion with Terry, who was now on hand; there was great heave and ho everywhere, with inspections and issue of rations and farriers and armourers going demented and messengers flying and the telegraph office open night and day; how the dickens Custer had energy enough for his evening’s jollity I can’t fathom.

For he was like a schoolboy on holiday as the time to march drew near, even behaving affably to Benteen and Moylan, holding parties at his house, getting up impromptu theatricals one night, I remember, in which I had to play Judge Puffenstuff in a comic breach of promise suit, holding all the prettiest young wives in contempt for giggling and sentencing Tom Custer to transportation for flirting. There were charades and games every evening, and much singing round the piano – I can see it so plain still; little Reed, who was Custer’s nephew, turning the sheets for Libby, and Terry with his eyes shut, rendering “My Old Kentucky Home” and “My love is like a red, red rose” in his fine tenor, and Custer bright-eyed as he leaned on a chair, smiling fondly at Libby, and her quick loving glance at him from the music, and Keogh quite overcome with sentiment and drink, muttering “Oh, Jayzus, Ginneral, it’s a darlin’ gift of song, a darlin’ gift”, and the young folk holding hands while the firelight flickered on the wooden walls and the buffalo head over the mantel. And then Calhoun taps his foot, and Libby laughed at Custer and struck a rousing chord, and they all brisked up, and Custer himself led them off in his cracked baritone until the rafters rang and feet stamped and the glasses swung in rhythm as they roared out in chorus:

𝅘𝅥𝅮 We’ll beat the bailiffs out of fun,
We’ll make the mayor and sheriffs run,
We are the boys no man dare dun,
If he regards a whole skin!
In place of spa we’ll drink down ale,
And pay no reckoning on the nail,
No man for debt shall go to jail,
While he can Garryowen hail!𝅘𝅥𝅮

Okay, maybe a bit of milling about the regimental piano.

quote:

They didn’t notice I wasn’t singing; I was remembering the remnants of the Light Brigade in that grisly hospital shed by Yalta, croaking out those self-same words in their pathetic pride at having done what no horse-soldiers had ever done before. I thought of the pale fierce faces and the horrid wounds, and the unspeakable hell we’d come through, and the ghastly cost – and I wondered if it was a lucky song to sing, that’s all.

Custer couldn’t get enough of it; I remember he was whistling it the last night before Terry’s force marched out, when I popped into his study to say good-night. He was packing his valise – with a volume of Napier’s Peninsular War, among other things, I remember – and says to me in high fettle:

“I can’t prevail on you to ride along with us, then? I’m taking Boss and Autie Reed, you know, and the newspaper fellow – they’re all civilians. Your Bismarck bagmen can wait till we get back, surely?” I’d told him about the Upper Missouri affair, in strict confidence – and without mentioning the sex of the corporation president. Libby and he wouldn’t have liked it, and word might have reached Elspeth’s ears.

“Stop teasing a fellow, George,” says I, very bluff. “You know I’d be there like a shot if ’tweren’t for the better half. Anyway, you don’t want a real cavalryman along; I’d just show you up.”

“Oho! Sauce!” cries he merrily. “I was only asking you ’cos I thought you’d be useful for remounts.”

“Much more of that, and I’ll offer my services to Crazy Horse,” says I. “Get a bit of own back for Yorktown, or wherever it was.” Hearty stuff, you see, and delighted him no end.

“I’ll look for you in the first war-party!” cries he, and then became all solemn. “Seriously, though – I can’t thank you enough, old boy. I don’t know what turned Grant, but … well, I couldn’t have had a better man to speak up for me, I know that.” He clasped my hand with manly fervour. “I only wish I could repay you.”

“Well, now, if you should see Little Big Man, kick his backside for me.”

“I’ll do better than that!” cries he as I went out. “I’ll fetch you his scalp!”

Author's Note posted:

As a guide to the character and psychological condition of George Armstrong Custer (1839–76), Flashman’s account of him is interesting and, in the light of published information, convincing. Custer was only 37; he had served with distinction in the Civil War, achieved general rank when he was 23, had ten horses shot under him, and was spectacular in an age which did not lack for heroes. After the war his career was less happy; his impulsive temper led to his court martial and suspension in 1867, and although Sheridan had him reinstated, his name was not free from controversy even in victory, as when he defeated Black Kettle’s Cheyenne on the Washita. That he was in an excitable state in the winter of 1875–6, and regarded the coming campaign as a last chance for distinction (and possible political advancement), as Flashman suggests, seems highly probable. The last-minute check received when Grant almost removed him from the expedition can have done nothing for his stability; as one eminent commentator puts it, Custer took the field “smarting”.

Flashman’s record of Custer during the vital months before the campaign, while more personal than any other, accords with known facts. The general, a teetotal non-smoker who never swore, was highly emotional and easily moved to tears; the story of his weeping at the play Ours, at Wallack’s Theatre, is authentic, and he was known to choke when reading aloud some moving passage; he liked party games and amateur theatricals, and would sometimes lie on a bearskin rug listening to Swiss zither music played by a soldier of the 7th. He was an energetic writer and avid reader, British military history being one of his favourite studies. Unpopular with his officers (Benteen seems particularly to have detested him), he obviously had an engaging personality when he chose; secretive in planning, occasionally devious, proud to a fault, he could be embarrassingly open: Flashman was only one of the friends to whom he confessed his penury in New York. He appears to have been close to desperation during the Grant-Belknap episode, whose course Flashman charts fairly accurately, although in much greater detail than has been available hitherto. From all this Custer may appear, to say the least, eccentric. If so, it should be remembered that he was not alone in his time; he was a Victorian man of action, and a not untypical one, and as a soldier he should not be judged solely by his last campaign or the events that led up to it. (See Whittaker; Dunn; Boots and Saddles, 1885, and Following the Guidon, 1890, by Mrs E. B. Custer, his widow; My Life on the Plains, by George A. Custer, 1876; and works cited later in these Notes and Appendix B.)

A friend will help you move, mad friend will help you gather bodies.

quote:

I felt duty bound to crawl out and see them off in the morning, raw and misty as it was; there’s no sight more inspiring or heartwarming than troops marching out to battle when you ain’t going with them. Custer was prancing about at the head of the 7th as they marched past by column of platoons, with the garrison kids stumping alongside playing soldiers; the troopers dismounted for farewells at the married lines, and then the embracing and boo-hooing was broken by the roar of commands, Libby and her sister, who were riding out the first few miles, took post beside Custer, Terry and his staff assumed expressions of resolution, the word was “Mount!” and “Forward-o!”, and as Reno and Benteen led off in double column we had another burst of Garryowen and Yellow Ribbon.

They looked well as they trotted by, the harness jingling, each blue rider with his brace of pistols and carbine – no sabres, I noticed – the guidons fluttering and everyone waving to them; the band crashed into The Girl I Left Behind Me, which was the signal for more female caterwauling, drowned by the prompt action of the distinguished-looking British civilian with the fine whiskers, standing erect by the main gate, who raised his hat and called for three rousing cheers and a tiger for these gallant fellows. Everyone hurrahed, and out they rode to the empty plain, the Ree scouts in their blankets and feathers trotting alongside, and then three companies of infantry, the platoon of Gatling guns, the wagons and mules churning up the dust, the piping of the music fading into the distance, the rising sun glinting here and there on the far column lining across the prairie, and in Fort Lincoln the silent crowd who had watched ’em go dispersed in little knots about the barracks, with only a murmur and shuffle in the stillness of the morning.

The next ten days were hellish. I was staying in the Custer house, and Libby and Margaret went about like two of the Three Fates, pale and listless with thoughts about their absent men; once I surprised Libby in Custer’s study, her head on his desk beside his portrait, sobbing her heart out, but I managed to retreat unobserved. Much of this and I’d have taken to drink, and still no word from that elegant slut Candy – had it been some elaborate hoax, I wondered, and took to going down to the Bismarck wharf each day for news of the boats. You may say, come now, Flash, what’s all this bother about one skirt – you’ve known a few in your time, we believe, and must have learned by now that they’re all the same in the dark, surely? True enough, says I, as a rule – but every so often a real prime one comes by, like Lola or Cassy or Cleonie or the Empress Tzu’hsi or Lily Langtry, and nothing else will do. It’s a pure passion, you know, just like the moon-struck youth who can’t eat or sleep for dreaming about his sweetheart; the only real difference is that while his bliss is to bask calf-like in her fond regard, I want to roger her red in the face. D’you see? Anyway, call me susceptible if you will, but after three weeks of Fort Lincoln I hungered for the president of the Upper Missouri Development Corporation as the zealot yearns for paradise.

She came at last on the 27th, on the heels of a telegraph: “Arriving Far West steamer. Kindly meet. Candy.” I was on hand as the stern-wheeler edged into the wharf with her whistle screaming, and there on the top deck was the tall figure, one elegant gloved hand on the rail, her face shaded by a broad feathered hat. The lines came ashore, the wheel churned to a stop, and I shouldered through the press as the plank came down and mounted the ladder to where she stood with a steel-eyed grey-moustached bird in a pilot cap. She was in bronze today, with tippet and feather and eye-patch according; she greeted me with her slight impersonal smile and the same cold Yankee rasp.

And we'll hear what she rasps out... next time!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

“Good morning. Captain Marsh – Sir Harry Flashman. The captain has been good enough to reserve you a forward cabin, away from the wheel. I hope that’s convenient. Yep. Have you brought your bags? No? Perhaps, captain, they can be brought abroad.” Her cool eye turned back to me. “We have a great deal to discuss before we sail, so the less time we lose the better. I’ve set out my papers in the forward part of the main saloon, captain; I’d be obliged if you’d give orders that we’re not to be disturbed. Oh-kay. This way, Sir Harry, please.”

These steamboat skippers take sass from no one, and I was intrigued that Marsh smiled politely and retired. Mrs Candy swept into the long main saloon, which was empty, and led the way to the forrard end, behind a partition curtain, where a large map and notebooks lay ready spread on the table. She shrugged aside her tippet with her back to me, removed her hat, and peeled off her gloves in a careful way that deserved musical accompaniment. I eyed the trim waist and swan-like neck and licked my lips.

“I hope your stay hasn’t been dull,” says she indifferently, without glancing round. “You’ll have seen the town and country around, I guess. Yep. As you’ll see on the map here, the sections we’re chiefly interested in …”

I stepped close behind her, took a breast in either hand and squeezed ardently.

“… lie mostly on the south bank of the river between here and Fort Buford, in Dacotah Territory. We don’t control it yet, but discussions with the government are going ahead …”

I fondled greedily and they quivered like jellies, but her voice didn’t.

“… and after we’ve settled our differences with the Northern Pacific, we should have acquired the choicest areas north of their railroad, which will be pushed clear across to the Yellowstone in the next year or two. Oh-kay. In the meantime …”

I was nuzzling her neck now and rolling ’em to and fro.

“… the steamer will take us upriver; it’s under charter to the Army at present, carrying stores for this expedition of theirs, but I’ve arranged with Coulson’s directors for us to travel aboard as there’s plenty of cabin space …”

Keeping one hand at work, I slipped the other to her waist and turned her around.

“… and in a few days you’ll be able to see all you need of the country and decide what to write to Prince Bismarck. Oh-kay.”

The dark eye was cool as a fish’s back, and the full mouth steady. She might have been addressing her shareholders – which in a sense she was.

Not one to be off-put by no-selling of their offence, I see.

quote:

“drat the country, drat Bismarck, and drat you,” says I, taking hold of both of ’em again.

“Why drat me, Sir Harry? The way you carry on –” she glanced down at my clutching hands “– I thought you liked me.” She turned her head, took a cigarette from the table, and put it between her lips. “Go right ahead if you want to,” she added, as she struck a match and brought it up between my hands to light the cigarette, rock steady. “I don’t mind; you do it very well, but then I guess you’ve had a lot of practice. Yep.” She blew smoke carefully to one side. “So have I.”

“But you’re much too cool to show it, eh?” says I, stroking artfully.

“Whatever for? I’m doing fine right here … a little more on the left, would you? Yeh-ep.” She inhaled rather sharply on her infernal fag. “Oh-kay. I think that’s enough for now, though, don’t you? These windows have no curtains, in case you didn’t notice.” Before I knew it she had slipped her bosom aside and stepped neatly round the table. “I hope you were paying some attention to what I was showing you on the map—”

“Come here, you exquisite president,” says I, fairly hoarse, but she moved a chair deftly between us, holding me at bay.

“No. Let’s get it straight … Colonel. I guess we can stop being formal and drop that silly ‘sir’? Yep. What I said about B for business – that’s a fact. I’ve broken my rule twice now with you – first time to sweeten you, just now because if I hadn’t you’d have got powerful, and I’d have had to bust your toe—”

“Gammon! You enjoyed every minute of it!”

“I’m the corporation president. Oh-kay. But I don’t break my rule again – and neither do you. Business hours, we do business, because I’ve got a heap of money tied up in this thing, and that comes first, and anybody forgets it – the depot’s right down the road. Yep. Out of business hours, we do … what we please. Oh-kay.”

She moved the chair back to the table and stood straight, not haughty or insolent but matter-of-fact and composed. I clapped politely and grinned at her.

“And what pleases madam the president?”

She drew impatiently on her cigarette. “This is wasting time. Oh-kay. I like business and I like money, but I didn’t come all this way to show you the Dacotah Territory; I coulda sent a hired hand to do that. When this Bismarck project came up, and someone mentioned your name, I didn’t know you from Adam, but you sounded like what we needed. Business, oh-kay? Then when I saw you at the Brev-urt,” she tapped ash from her cigarette and considered me, “I thought exactly what you thought when you saw me. Yep.” She turned away to seat herself at the table and began to look through her papers.

“Indeed? And what did I think, pray?”

She leaned forward to study the map. “You thought, that’s a real bully looker with a patch over her eye; I’d sure like to put her to bed.” She indicated the chair opposite. “Let’s go to work, shall we?”

What a deuced rare dynamic these two have.

quote:

It’s one of the secrets of my success with women that however contrary, cool, chilly or downright perverse their airs, I’ll always humour ’em – when it’s worth it. It just maddens them, for one thing. All her tough efficient front didn’t fool me; she was on heat most of the time, I should judge, and while she’d probably had more men than Messalina, she was terrified for fear that her allure would fail her (the eyepatch troubled her, no doubt) – so being female, she had to pretend to be all self-assurance and keep your distance, my lad, till I say jump. Kindly old Dr Flashy knows the symptoms – and the cure. So now I let her rattle on about surveys and options and mortgages and share issues and grants, admiring her profile and waiting for business to close down for the day.

We were interrupted at luncheon by the arrival on board of Libby Custer and the garrison wives – Libby knew, of course, that I was going off on private business, but when she saw the shape that business took, she sucked in her breath mighty sharp. I learned later that Libby’s purpose aboard was to coax Marsh to take her upriver so that she could be reunited with her loving husband when Far West reached the expedition’s supply camp on the Yellowstone; Marsh wouldn’t have it, though, pointing out that his boat was in Army service now, and couldn’t take passengers. What about this Candy woman, says Libby, and Marsh had told her that was different altogether, since he’d had explicit instructions from his owners. So poor Libby went ashore in some huff, having bidden me a distinctly chill farewell.

What interested me was the pull that La Candy obviously had; I quizzed Marsh gently about it, and he said he guessed she drew a powerful lot of water in the commercial world, being on very close terms with at least one of his directors. How close, he added drily, he couldn’t say.

We sailed upriver next day after one of the most damnably frustrating nights of my life. Having been held at a distance by my delectable associate all day, I was nicely on the boil by bedtime – and stab me if the Far West didn’t continue loading the whole night, which meant that the forward saloon beyond the curtain became an orderly room for military clerks and the like, and since our cabins opened on to it, there was no opportunity for me to creep in next door. I lay grinding my teeth and listening to the thump of bales and porters hollering, in the knowledge that all that fine flesh was lying neglected a mere three feet away through my cabin wall. Next morning she was all business with a B again, and we spent ever such jolly hours on the deck as the Far West thrashed upstream, and she pointed out interesting lumps of prairie which we identified on the map. But at least we now had the boat pretty well to ourselves; Marsh and his officers berthed aft, as did the only other passenger, a young journalist who was going up to report the campaign.

I dutifully kept my hands to myself all day – not without effort, when we bent together over the map and it was all within temptingly easy reach; it was almost enough to make me risk a broken toe. I knew she was getting feverish, too, by the way she drew breath and kept moving her hand on her hip. Good business, thinks I, let the randy baggage sweat, but I was taken aback when she shut her notebook abruptly, glanced at the little gold watch pinned to her dress, and announced:

“Six o’clock. Yep. That’ll do for today.”

I remarked carelessly that it was an hour till dinner, and she stood up and crushed out her cigarette. She was wearing her crimson rig, with the velvet eyepatch, and seemed to breathe a little unsteadily as she said in her nasal drawl:

“I’m not hungry. Are you?”

“Marsh and the others may think it odd if we don’t put in an appearance.”

“Who cares what they think – they’re the help,” says she curtly. “Oh-kay … my cabin or yours?”

I’ve had some coy invitations in my time, but gallant as ever I begged her to state her preference.

“Yours,” says she, and waited to be ushered in. As she passed me I slipped a finger on her pulse; the patient was satisfactorily agitated. I asked didn’t she want to change into something less formal, and she moistened her full lips and took a deep breath.

“No,” says she, “I want to watch you watching me while I undress.”

And a very artistic work she made of it, too, spinning it over half an hour, a lace and a button at a time, never taking her dark eye off me as I sat entranced – and not once did she fumble or show the least loss of composure, although I knew she was inwardly a-tremble with excitement as she gratified herself by making us both wait.

“You’ve done this before,” says I, in a nonchalant croak.

“Yep.”

“Tell me, Mrs Candy,” I asked. “Do you ever smile?”

She made a minute adjustment at the mirror to her red velvet eyepatch, which now constituted her entire clothing, and turned to face me.

“This is no laughing matter,” says she, and I shan’t attempt to describe the impression she made as she stood there, drawn up to her full magnificent height, one hand poised lightly on that incredibly slender waist, the other at her side. I gloated all over her for a full minute; I’ve seen as fine, but never better, and my ears were fairly roaring with the tightness of my collar as I got to my feet – whereupon she sat down on her stool, crossed her legs, lighted a cigarette, inhaled luxuriously, and leaned an elbow on her dressing-table.

“Oh-kay,” says she briskly. “Your tum.”

In justice I must record that when Mrs Arthur Candy, president of the Upper Missouri Development Corporation, finally applied herself to the task at hand, she more than lived up to anticipation. Mind you, she continued to take her time; Susie Willinck I had always supposed to be the arch-protractor of the capital act, but she was greased lightning to this one. It must have been another hour before I persuaded her on to the bed – she was too tall to manhandle easily, you see – and even then she went to work with a slow deliberation which would have induced dementia if she hadn’t been so wondrously good at it so often. It was a pale ghost named Flashman who eventually waved her a feeble good-night as she carefully gathered up her attire and departed, with a whispered “Yep. Oh-kay” as the door closed.

I wondered weakly if I’d ever known the like. Yes, a thousand times, but surely never with such a cool unhurried efficiency. It became clear why she wouldn’t play during the day – there’d never have been a stroke of work done, and she’d have had a corpse on her hands by tea-time. Well, it promised to be a most satisfactory cruise, and with the distant throb of the paddle-wheel to lull me I was drifting off to sleep when another noise, muffled but closer at hand, began to pull me slowly back to consciousness. I listened drowsily, the hairs on my neck beginning to rise – but no, I must be mistaken. It must be some murmur of the boat, and not what I’d thought it was at first: the sound, faintly through the panels from Mrs Candy’s cabin, of deep sobbing.

And with that brutal climax (and now obligatory reference to I Claudius), we are done with the chapter.

Let's see what's down the waterway... next time!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

If you care to examine the log of the Far West you will find an exact account of her voyagings on the Missouri and Yellowstone in the days that followed, but for my purpose the barest facts will do. A glance at the map will show you how it was – she was bringing the forage and gear for Terry’s column which had struck due west from Fort Lincoln across the Dacotah Territory for the mouth of the Powder River; advancing to meet them from the west along the Yellowstone were old Gibbon and his walkaheaps, and they were to join forces and push down into the wild country between the Big Horn and the Powder to find the hostile bands who were in there somewhere – no one had much notion where, for it was territory that only a few bold scouts and trappers had ever penetrated. Crook with a third column was traipsing about somewhere to the south, out of touch with Terry, but as Custer had told me, the hostiles would be effectively hemmed in by the three forces.

Now you’ll wonder if I was wise to be fornicating carelessly on a boat that was going so near to the scene of operations, but it didn’t look like that at all from the warm embrace of Mrs Candy, or from the hurricane deck of the Far West as she thrashed up the Missouri to Fort Buford, and then into the beautiful grove-lined valley of the Yellowstone. For one thing there wasn’t going to be any fighting worth the name beyond a skirmish or two if some of the hostile bands proved recalcitrant, and that would be far to the south of the Yellowstone, with a large and efficient army in between. In fact, it was quite jolly to be on the fringe of the action, so to speak, in the perfect safety of a comfortable steamboat, where one could loaf and stuff and yarn with Marsh and the boys, and gorge oneself with Candy after dark, if you’ll pardon the pun, and lie snug and cosy listening to the churning of the great wheel. The Yellowstone is one of the finest river valleys I know, with its woodlands and islands and quiet inlets and clear rippling waters; sometimes you might think yourself on the Thames – and an hour later you’re steaming between grand red bluffs as unlike England as anything could be.

It was a prime holiday altogether, and the president of the corporation improved with every performance, although she still remained as impersonal as ever during the day. I’d supposed that after Fort Buford she might unbend a little; after all, by then I’d absorbed all there was to know of her Bismarck scheme, and seen the kind of country to be settled; I’d even drafted (with a straight face) a letter to Otto explaining the thing and inviting his approval – God alone knew what he’d make of it if it ever reached him, with my monicker on it. Mrs Candy commended it briskly and said she’d submit it to her directors, and I thought, first-rate, now we can get to know each other socially as well as carnally. But not a bit of it; it was still B for business from breakfast till dinner, with her making notes and sketches of the Yellowstone country like a good little land speculator, and anyone seeing us on deck or in the saloon would have taken us for fellow-passengers who were formally polite and no more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Buford

Fort Buford is of course named for the decisive John Buford whose early arrival at Gettysburg set the stage for the perfect clash of temperaments between Meade and Lee that doomed the Army of Northern Virginia.

quote:

I didn’t much mind; there was even a strange excitement in knowing that this sharp, no-nonsense Yankee businesswoman, all efficiency and assurance, could turn into the most wanton of concubines when the blinds were drawn. I say concubine because she was by no means a lover; she’d talk civilly enough, without much interest, between bouts, but there was none of the intimacy you find in a mistress or even a high-quality whore. How much she enjoyed our couplings was hard to say; how much does a hopeless drunkard enjoy drinking? There was a hungry compulsion that drove her, always in that intense, deliberate way, like an inexorable beautiful machine. Ideal from my point of view, but then I’m a sensual brute, and I dare say if she’d been warm or loving I’d have tired of her sooner; as it was the cold passion with which she gave and took her pleasure demanded nothing but stamina.

With the other men on board she was politely discouraging; one or two of the Army officers whom we took aboard for short stages were disposed to be gallant, and short shrift she gave then – one, I’m sure, had her heel stamped on his instep, for I saw him follow her on to the foredeck one evening, only to return red-faced and hobbling visibly.

Marsh and his mate, Campbell, must have known how it stood with Candy and me, but tactfully said nothing. Marsh was a splendid sort, a capital pilot and skipper and tough as they came, I guessed, but with a fund of yarns and partial to a convivial glass or a hand at euchre.

It was about ten days out of Bismarck that we came to the Powder mouth, where a great military camp was taking shape. With the arrival of Terry’s advance guard, and Gibbon only a few days’ march away, there was tremendous work and bustle; the Far West was back and forth ferrying troops and stores and equipment; her steerage was a bedlam of men and gear, while our deck was invaded by all manner of staff-wallopers in search of comfort; Terry held his meetings in the saloon; messengers went galloping pell-mell along the banks; a forest of tents and lean-tos sprang up in the meadows; the woods rang and hummed with the noise of men and horses, rumours of Indian movement far to the south were discussed and as quickly discounted; no one knew what the blazes was happening – indeed, it was like the beginning of any campaign I’d ever seen.

Hope they remembered to bring the tin of ship biscuits.

quote:

Terry seemed pleased, if surprised, to see me, and preserved his amiable urbanity when I presented him to Mrs Candy; his staff men eyed her with lascivious respect and me with envy. Marsh had explained our presence, and since Far West could carry far more passengers than there were staff, no objections could be raised. Indeed, Terry made no bones about talking shop with me; we’d got on well at Camp Robinson, and I sensed that he was anxious about his new responsibilities; he’d never campaigned against Indians, and regarding me as an authority on the Sioux, poor soul, and knowing I’d smelled powder on the frontier, he canvassed me in his quiet, cautious way. Not about his duties, you understand, but on whether Spotted Tail might have talked sense to the hostiles during the winter, and the possibility of defections to the agencies. Something else was troubling him, too.

“George Custer hasn’t shaved since we left Abe Lincoln,” he confided. “A small thing enough, but it worries me. I’ve never known him so melancholy and restless. I begin to wonder if I was wise in urging Grant to let him come.”

“Nerves,” says I. “Get the doctor to give him a purge. George is like a cat on hot bricks about this campaign, and a fortnight’s trekking over empty prairie won’t have improved his temper. Give him work and you’ll see a difference.”

He made a lip. “I’ve a notion, between ourselves, that secretly he resents my authority. I only hope he’ll behave sensibly and not … imagine he can be a law unto himself, d’you know?”

I asked what he’d heard, and he said nothing, really, beyond a feeling that Custer regarded Terry’s job as the transport and supply of the 7th Cavalry, who could be left to take care of the soldiering on their own. I assured Terry that all cavalry commanders talked that way, and cited my old bête noire Cardigan, who had resented the least interference from his superiors.

“He was the man who led your light cavalry at Balaclava, wasn’t he?” says Terry thoughtfully, and after that he seemed rather withdrawn, and presently went to bed with a hot toddy.

Haw-haw. And with that we'll pause and see how this misadventure proceeds... next time.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

I raised an eyebrow myself when the boy general arrived a few days later, all brave in fringed buckskin and red scarf over his uniform, but with a face like a two-day corpse. He came striding up the gangplank barking orders to his galloper, slapping his gloves impatiently against his legs, brightened momentarily at sight of me, and went straight into a nervous fret because Libby wasn’t aboard.

“Why didn’t you bring her?” he demanded pettishly. “Who said she should not come?” He was bright-eyed with strain and hollow-cheeked under his four-week beard; his hair had been close-cropped and he looked even learner and more worn than in Washington. “It’s too bad! As if I hadn’t had checks enough!” I told him Terry was in the saloon, and he snorted and strode off to berate Marsh for leaving Libby behind.

From then on the Far West was like a hotel-cum-orderly-room. Staff men were working in the saloon all day, and several chaps from the 7th, including Tom and Boston Custer, as well as Terry’s party, occupied berths. Mrs Candy kept a good deal to her cabin, but I had to endure any number of digs and sallies from the fellows; I told ’em they were a young Army yet, and hadn’t learned about campaign equipment. Her presence gave Custer another excuse to abuse Marsh over Libby; he didn’t berth aboard, but had his tent pitched on the bank. “Our buckskin Achilles,” grunts Benteen, grinning at me over his pipe.

Now, as the expedition moved leisurely up the Yellowstone, I was enjoying life hugely. I could watch the martial activity ashore, hobnob with the boys in the saloon, play poker in the evenings, drink hearty, pile into Mrs Candy by night (Terry, bless him, allowed no late carousing, and all were snug down by midnight), listen to the professional gossip – and reflect contentedly that for once it was nothing to do with me. When the columns swung south into the blue, I’d be left safely behind to loaf and roger in these idyllic surroundings. I can’t recall when I’ve been in better fettle.

For now the grip was coming as the columns converged. At the mouth of the Tongue we halted, under the high bluffs to the north, with the troops camped on an old toronto on the south bank, where there were many Sioux burial platforms, mostly broken and derelict, but some quite new, and the troops thought it great sport to scatter them to bits. I remarked in Terry’s hearing that it was bad medicine for one thing, his Ree and Crow scouts wouldn’t like it – and he ordered it stopped. If you wonder why I put in my oar, I’ll answer that I’ve soldiered far and hard enough to learn one invariable rule, superstition or not: never monkey with the local gods. It don’t pay.

Too right. Older Flash's better nose for trouble is always fun to see.

Also in this case toronto isn't referring to the swelling city in Ontario (insert your own Leaf's joke, here) but a native meeting place which would become Miles City, Montana.

quote:

And now the expedition began to buzz with definite news at last of hostiles far to the south. Reno had been off on a scout, and had found an abandoned camp ground where there had been several hundred tipis, as well as a heavy trail heading west towards the Big Horn Mountains. Custer was in great excitement at this. “The hunt is up!” says he, and was off with the 7th to meet Reno at the Rosebud mouth. Far West was there ahead of him, and I was on the hurricane deck, watching his long blue column jingling down under the trees to bivouac, when I found Mrs Candy at my elbow. Making chat, I asked her what she thought of Custer.

“They say he has good political connections,” says she indifferently. “Yep. I wouldn’t do business with him.”

“Oh? Why ever not?”

“In business you have to be able to rely on people – not to say trust them, just to know how they’ll act. Oh-kay. I wouldn’t rely on him. He’s crazy.”

“Good Lord, what makes you say that?”

“He likes killing Indians, doesn’t he?” She shrugged. “That’s what I hear. I suppose he means to kill a lot of them, up there.” She gestured idly towards the low brown bluffs to the south. Her costume today was of some pale material, and the eyepatch contrasted vividly with that rich dusky-rose complexion which had taken on a most becoming tint from the Yellowstone sunshine.

I said, well, he was a soldier – so was I, for that matter, and she turned her cold appraising eye on me.

“Killing for a living. Yep. I suppose your conscience gets used to it.”

“Just as it does in business, I imagine.”

“Business? It depends what kind of deals you make. Yep.” And as bustle broke out below, with bugles sounding and Marsh bawling orders to warp the Far West to the south bank, she turned away in bored fashion and went down to her cabin.

It's interesting where she does and doesn't use her catchphrase.

quote:

That was June 21, and in the evening Terry issued marching orders to his commanders at one of the strangest staff conferences ever I saw. Since it was a vital moment in the Sioux campaign, and every survivor has recorded his recollections of it – not just who said what, but who understood what, or didn’t, or sneezed, or scratched his backside – I must do the same. For I was there, as who the devil wasn’t, except perhaps the ship’s cook and the cat; when Terry summoned the senior men, the journalist fellow stood his ground in the saloon, and Mrs Candy continued to leaf idly through a magazine in her seat at the forrard end, within easy earshot, so I found myself a lounging place against the bulkhead where I could overlook the map on the main table.

Terry, spruce and affable, sat in the centre, smiling round with his short-sighted blue eyes; beside him was Gibbon, fine-featured and trim-bearded – I found myself thinking how many eminent soldiers are strikingly handsome men, as who should know better than I? Custer sat at one end of the table, gloomy and watchful, his fingers drumming softly. Others present were Marsh and Campbell of the ship, Reno, young Bradley the scout officer, old Grasshopper Jim Brisbin of the 2nd Cavalry, Lonesome Charley Reynolds, Custer’s chief scout, with his arm in a sling, and a dozen or so others I’ve forgotten. A steward was serving coffee, and I recall Terry remarking how he’d tried to give up sugar, but couldn’t, and his spoon tinkling in the cup as we waited.

“Well, gentlemen,” says he, “tomorrow we take the field in earnest. Major Reno and Mr Bradley have carried out separate reconnaissances, and we have reason to believe that hostile bands have moved west to cross Rosebud creek in the direction of the Big Horn hills. The best estimate suggests that not more than eight hundred or a thousand braves are to be reckoned with; perhaps three thousand Indians all told. Now, we dispose above a thousand cavalry and six hundred infantry, in addition to General Crook’s force of thirteen hundred to the south, so—”

“Pardon, general.” It was young Bradley, a keen-looking hand. “Those three thousand hostiles – aren’t those agency figures calculated during the winter?”

Terry said, yes, but they could be relied on. Bradley feared they might be low, since many Indians might have left the agencies with the arrival of spring. “I’ve seen sign of about two-three thousand myself up there, you see sir,” says he apologetically, “and I doubt if they’re the only hostiles in the Powder River country.”

“Me likewise, gen’l.” This was Reynolds, Custer’s scout, an innocent-looking youth who was talked of as a latter-day Carson. “Agency figures don’t signify. There could be twice their reck’nin’ up yonder, easy.”

“Well, they are the only figures we have to go on,” says Terry. “Shall we say possibly five thousand? It won’t hurt to err on the safe side.”

“Five thousand braves,” insists Reynolds. “Ne’er mind women and young.”

“You don’t know that,” says Gibbon.

“I don’t not know it, Colonel,” says Reynolds doggedly, and there were chuckles. Custer spoke up sharply.

“Five thousand or ten, Charley, it makes no difference, since they will be in divers bands, and we are more than a match for them if they were all together.”

Custer's chief scout, Charley 'Cassandra' Reynolds, seemed to be blessed with some foresight but not much rhetoric at the critical hour.

Let's see how the plan goes further to pot... next time!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

With that settled, Terry went on to say that he and Gibbon would march up the Big Horn to intercept the Indian force whose trail Reno had seen heading that way; with Crook advancing from the south, the hostiles would be caught front and rear. Meanwhile, Custer and his cavalry would have passed up the Rosebud to cut off the hostiles if they tried to slip out of the trap. Q.E.D. and any questions?

“Where’s Crook?” asks someone.

“So far as we know,” answers Terry, “somewhere in the region of the headwaters of Rosebud creek or Little Bighorn River. Which unfortunately,” he added, peering at the map, “are not clearly indicated here. About there, wouldn’t you say, Brisbin?” Grasshopper Jim nodded and made vague crosses on the map, and everyone took a squint. “His exact position is not of too much import,” continued Terry, “since he too has his scouts and will be closing on the same quarry as ourselves.”

(What none of us knew, of course, was that while Crook was indeed around the head of the Rosebud, he wasn’t feeling too happy about it, since four days earlier Crazy Horse had bushwhacked him and fought him to a standstill. But why should any of us suspect such a thing? These were the Indians who weren’t going to fight, you’ll remember.)

“Ideally our force and General Crook’s would converge on the hostiles simultaneously,” says Terry, “but in the absence of communications, that is too much to hope for.”

Custer lifted his head. “I’m to prevent any escape of hostiles to the east, sir.” His voice was casual. “If they’re around the Big Horn, it’s certain my cavalry will be there before Colonel Gibbon’s infantry …”

Terry nodded, lifting a finger. “Precisely. I was coming to that. If you find the Indian trail leading towards the Big Horn, you should pass it by and go south towards the Big Horn itself; thus you will be in position south of the hostiles while Colonel Gibbon approaches from the north, and it should be possible for you to act together. It may be that you will encounter Crook en route – so much the better. But in any event our endeavour must be to act in concert so far as can be. It may prove impossible, since our objective is not a fixed one – we can’t be certain where the hostiles will be found.”

One thing was clear: Terry wanted no action against the Sioux until Gibbon was in position. But equally clearly, he had to allow his commanders some discretion, since in such an uncertain operation no one could foresee what emergencies (or opportunities) might arise. Everyone in the cabin understood that – but there was one man there with a special interest in forcing Terry to say it aloud.

“If I encounter hostiles,” says Custer slowly, “before Colonel Gibbon has come up …” He left it there, leaning forward as though to examine the map, and it seemed to me he was avoiding Terry’s eye and waiting for him to complete the sentence. And Terry, will-he, nill-he, spoke the fatal words, so amiably, so reasonably. I think back to that moment – Custer apparently intent on the map, Gibbon half-turned towards Terry, who was sitting back in his chair, choosing his words – and compare it with another moment: Lucan’s face red with indignation under Causeway Heights, and Lew Nolan fairly bouncing in his saddle with impatience. “There, my lord, are the guns! There’s your enemy!” There had been fury and passion, here was calm and polite discussion – but they both led to the same end, bloody catastrophe.

“You must use your own judgement, of course,” says Terry, nodding. “It’s not possible to give definite instructions, but you know my intentions; conform to them unless you see sufficient reason to depart from them.”

I wonder if there's ever been a 1-1 scale reenactment of the Charge of the Light Brigade? Considering the scale and time it aught to be more doable than most famous military actions.

quote:

In other words, please yourself. That’s what Terry was saying – what he was bound to say – and Custer could throw it in the teeth of any court-martial. Terry was having to trust to Custer’s common sense, and he knew as well as I did what a questionable commodity that might be. But he couldn’t put that into words; a Sam Grant or a Colin Campbell could have said, “See here, Custer, you know what I want – and I know what you want, and how you’ll interpret my orders to suit yourself, and claim afterwards I justified you. Very good, we understand each other – and if you play the fool, by God I’ll break you!” But Terry, the gentle, kindly Terry, couldn’t say that – and really, was there the need? It was just a simple operation against a few hostile bands, after all.

Custer said nothing more; he’d got what he wanted, and now he was studiously watching Brisbin pushing pins into the map to mark the Rosebud route and joining them with a blue pencil. Gibbon, with a glance at Custer, said something about there being no need for a precipitate attack – unless it was necessary, of course, and Terry interrupted.

“I hope there will be no need of any such thing as an attack. Our object is to bring these people under control to the agencies – to capture, not to conquer.” Custer was sketching idly with a pencil now, chin in hand, but he roused himself when Gibbon offered to lend him some troops of the 2nd Cavalry.

“Thank you, Colonel, but any force of hostiles that is too big for the 7th will be too big for the 7th and four troops,” which was as silly a remark as I’ve ever heard. No, he didn’t want the Gatlings, either, since they might impede his march. Terry didn’t press him; I guessed the last thing he wanted was Custer loose about the place with machine-guns.

George Custer with a machine gun would be like Jimmy McGill with a law degree.

quote:

There was more talk, but that in essence was the famous Far West conference, and no one was in much doubt what it amounted to. I heard young Bradley’s aside as the senior men departed: “Well, guess who’s going to get there first and win the laurels. Who, the 7th Cavalry? No, you don’t say!”

My own view, confirmed when I loafed out on deck and heard Custer down at his tent, firing off orders to his troop commanders and sounding deuced peevish about it: “… I tell you, Moylan, I know better than you what a pack mule can carry, and I’ll have fifteen days’ rations and 50 reserve rounds per carbine. Yes, in addition to the hundred rounds for each man, and 25 for the pistols, mind … Well, Captain Benteen, you are responsible for your own company; the extra forage is only a suggestion. But remember that we may have to follow the trail for two weeks, no matter how far it takes us, so you’d better take extra salt. We may have to live on horse meat before we’re through!”

I saw him stamp into his tent as the others dismissed, and mooched down for a look-see. He was alone, chewing at a pen, but at sight of me he grinned.

“Well, are you coming along after all?” His eyes were exultant now. “This is going to be a 7th Cavalry battle, my boy! Gatlings, indeed! I have more respect for Crazy Horse than that, I hope!”

I declined again, and he teased me, but in a nervous, restless way that showed his mind was anywhere but here. I knew he’d held himself in at the conference, but now that the rein was off there was an almost furtive quality about his excitement. It wasn’t quite canny, and presently I wished him luck, and left him calling high-pitched for Keogh and Yates almost before I was out of the tent. Back on board there was a great poker school under way in the saloon, which lasted until daybreak, so I made the most of the fellows’ company while they were still there (and picked up a copper or two), neglecting Mrs Candy with the thought that there would be ample time for her in the quiet days ahead.

Custer was off at first light, the long blue and brown squadrons moving slowly out of bivouac in the misty dawn. The Rosebud is little more than a brook where it joins the Yellowstone, running between green banks with a hedgerow down one side – again I could have imagined it was an English meadow as the troops wheeled up the little stream. Custer, fussing over the pack-train, paused to shake Terry’s hand and receive a clap on the back from Gibbon, who told him to mind and leave some redskins for the rest of the column. “Don’t be too greedy, George!” cries he, and Custer snapped a reply at him and rode off. I heard Terry say something about eagerness, and Gibbon shrugged and said: “At that, we’d look regular fools if they were to escape after all this. Three columns to round up a few stray Sioux and Cheyenne!”

That was their preoccupation, you see – not Custer, but the possibility that the expedition might wear itself out chasing hostiles who wouldn’t fight or surrender, but simply melt away into the desolation of the Big Horn.

Author's note posted:

There is no doubt that Terry wanted a combined operation (this was Marsh’s opinion) but that he could not lay down hard and fast restrictions on Custer. It has to be remembered that a principal concern was to prevent the Sioux escaping, and a strict prohibition on independent action might have resulted in Custer’s standing helplessly watching the hostiles melt away, simply because Gibbon had not appeared. No one envisaged the kind of situation that eventually faced Custer, because no one could guess that the number of hostiles had been badly underestimated. At the same time, there is no doubt that if Terry had been able to foresee the concentration of Sioux that was waiting on the Little Bighorn, he would surely have forbidden Custer to attack it single-handed. Terry’s own report (curiously clumsily phrased for a lawyer) says in part “… that either of them which should be first engaged (Gibbon or Custer) might be a ‘waiting fight’ – give time for the other to come up”. Lieutenant Bradley’s aside is reflected in a note which he wrote after the Far West conference: “It is understood that Custer is at liberty to attack at once if he deems it prudent. We have little hope of being in at the death and Custer will undoubtedly exert himself to get there first and win the laurels for himself and his regiment.” Others thought so, too.

An often-quoted passage is the supposed last-minute instruction given verbally by Terry to Custer: “Use your own judgement, and do what you think best if you strike the trail; and whatever you do, Custer, hold on to your wounded.” But whether Terry ever did say this is open to question. (See The Field Diary of General A. H. Terry, 1970; General Nelson Miles, Personal Recollections, 1897; Dunn; Hanson; Whittaker; and other Custer authorities cited below.)

Not as hilarious as Fraser's recap of the conference leading to choosing Crimea to hit but captivating in its way.

Let's see them all go there own way... next time!

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Arbite posted:

I wonder if there's ever been a 1-1 scale reenactment of the Charge of the Light Brigade? Considering the scale and time it aught to be more doable than most famous military actions.

It would be difficult to do so on location given the current political situation!

There was a film in 1936, total ahistorical claptrap, Errol Flynn played a British officer and his nemesis was a 'Surat Khan' who he encountered in India and who had massacred British women and children (the cad). So they had this fictional officer set up the Charge with forged orders as a means of killing his dastardly nemesis, who was allied with the Russians and conveniently was visiting their guns at the time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Charge_of_the_Light_Brigade_(1936_film)

I'm not sure if it was an even earlier film, where they did film the charge simply by riding a load of horses down a valley, with trip ropes strung along front. Basically killed most of the horses to get the shots of them collapsing at a gallop.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

Far West was to move down to the Big Horn mouth now, to ferry Gibbon’s infantry across, and it would be the following night that we moored in a wooded reach, under the loom of a huge bluff that reared up along the southern shore. It was a perfect balmy evening, the boat was quiet now with only Terry’s staff men aboard, and I was smoking a cheroot at the maindeck rail, considering what drill I’d go through with Mrs Candy that night, when here she came from the saloon, very stately in her crimson, with a white silk scarf over her head and shoulders. We talked idly about the possibility that Marsh would be taking Far West back east for fresh supplies shortly, and I found myself regretting that soon our business-honeymoon would be over.

I’m like that, you see; I get fond of women, and while I’d been happy just to stallion away by night and be spared any cloying intimacy during the day, still it’s pleasant when a tough piece like this one begins to show interest in your more spiritual qualities. For in the past day or so it had seemed to me that Mrs Candy had been thawing a little; she’d been readier to talk about matters other than business – the weather, for example, and she’d even asked me a question or two about England. Now, at the rail, she admired the rising moon with modified rapture (“That’s beautiful. Yep”), drew my attention to what she called the trees and all, and took me quite aback by laying a hand on my arm. I thought she was indicating that it was time for another protracted thrash in my cabin, but she sighed and said:

“It’s such a lovely night, I guess I’d like a stroll. Oh-kay?”

We descended to the steerage and the main plank to the bank, where the crew had set up a temporary forge, now deserted, and presently we were pacing slowly under the trees, and I was describing nights in India and China, while she murmured an occasional “Mm-h?” or “Don’t say?” leaning easily on my arm; it was quite delightful. The air was warm, the groves were dim in shadow, with moonlight in the glades, and the river lapped gently at the reeds. We walked a furlong or so, and paused under the spreading branches; I looked at her face framed in the white scarf, the dark line of the patch across her eye, and for the first time felt a tremor of pity for that disfigurement. She was such a magnificent creature, it was a damned shame, and I took her in my arms and kissed her fondly out of sheer affection – well, for a moment, anyway, before my better nature prevailed and I began to grapple her bottom. She fended me off gently, and slipped the scarf from her head, swinging it in her hand as we walked on.

“You’re a strange man,” says she, which is a sure sign that they want something. “You’ve been so many places, seen so many things. Yep. Lots of women in your life, I guess.”

Modestly I admitted that I had seldom been solitary for long, and said that I supposed neither had she.

“Sure. I’ve known a lot of men. Too many.” She shrugged. “Guess I’ll go on knowing a lot more. Too many more. Yep.” I said she didn’t sound overjoyed at the prospect.

“Why should I? Men are trash, pretty much. Yep. All they want is to use women in bed.” She paced slowly, glancing up at the purple sky. “And money. Women and money, and they spend them both as selfishly as they know how. Oh-kay.”

Hahahah, yeah. Simultaneously as the opportunity arises.

quote:

“Well, thank-ee, ma’am. Women have purer motives, I suppose?”

“Some women – sometimes. Some women are soft, and fool themselves that one of these days they’ll meet a man who doesn’t just want to spend them. They’re wrong.” She stopped, and to my astonishment I saw there was a tear coursing down from her left eye. Suddenly I remembered the sound of sobbing from her cabin the first night, and caught her hand.

“Heaven’s above! Whatever’s the matter?”

“It’s nothing.” She pulled her hand free and turned sharply to face me. “You’re not any different, are you?”

“What’s wrong? Good Lord, look here, if I’ve misunderstood—”

“Oh, no,” says she, composing herself. “You’ve understood, all right. You understood from the minute I walked by at the Brev’urt. Yep. You understood: ‘Gee, that’s worth mounting. Yes, sir, that’s prime – I could use that.’”

“Of course I did,” I agreed, slightly bewildered. “So did you, didn’t you?”

She ignored the question. “That’s the way you always look at women, isn’t it? The face – is it beautiful? If it’s disfigured – does that matter? The rest – the waist and hips and breasts and legs – they’re what matter, isn’t that so? Oh-kay. And will she? And if she does, what will it cost me? Can I get it for free? What’s it worth?”

The contempt in her tone nettled and amazed me – and I thought she’d been melting. “Well, since I’ve just had dinner, I’d rather you didn’t tell me how a lecherous female assesses her lovers, but my experience leads me to believe it’s in exactly the same way! In your own case, your interest in me hasn’t been precisely sentimental—”

“How would you know?”

This was too much. “Oh, come now! You haven’t been a charming little ray of sunshine, exactly, have you? Provided I kept you happy in the night watches – which from your conduct I believe I did … What the devil,” I demanded, “is all this about? Am I at fault because I haven’t serenaded under your porthole, or given proofs of undying devotion? Don’t tell me that you … well, that wasn’t part of our bargain, surely?”

Ah, the dangers of getting attached.

quote:

She was looking askance, and dammit, there were the tears again; she was absolutely weeping – and from under her patch, too. Interesting, that. But God help me if I understand women. “Mind you.” I lied, consoling-like; “I won’t say I haven’t …” But she lifted a hand.

“No. Don’t give me that. Oh-kay.” She took a deep breath. “You’re certainly right. Yep. I’m being a fool.”

I’d not have believed it – not of her. The most unlikely females have gone moony over me, but I’d never have credited that this one had any thought beyond pork and beans. God knew, she hadn’t let on – until now, anyway, if that’s what she was doing …

“Most of all I’m a fool for wasting time,” she said quietly. “I never thought I would – not with you. But just for a moment there I felt a grief … that I had thought long dead. A grief for someone else, someone I loved dearly, long ago. Oh, yes, I’ve been in love. But it ended … on just such a night as this, warm and soft and beautiful …”

The hairs prickled on my neck suddenly. This wasn’t Mrs Candy talking; the voice, as well as the words, were different. The nasal Yankee twang had disappeared.

“… a night when I was happier than I had ever been, because the man I loved had promised to take me out of slavery, and I was hastening to him, with joy in my heart, in a garden in Santa Fe …”

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

O m g

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes
Daaaaaang

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I figured she was working with someone he’d screwed in the previous story/timeline. I didn’t mean literally!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

For several heart-beats it meant nothing, and then it hit me like a blow. But whereas I’d have acted instantly at a physical assault (probably by flight), the implication of what she said, when I grasped it, so shocked my mind that I stood numb, incapable of movement even when she lifted the scarf abruptly and I saw that she was looking beyond me, and heard the rush of running feet suddenly upon me, and knew that here was terrible, deadly danger. By then it was too late.

Sinewy hands were at my throat and wrists, rank greased bodies were all about me, nightmare painted faces glared in the moonlight, and as I stretched my mouth to scream a handful of cloth was thrust into it and a binder whipped round my face. I heaved in panic, choking on my buried scream, as rawhide bit into my wrists; it was done in a twinkling and I was helpless, held by a half-naked brave on either side while two others, steel in their hands, hovered alert – my eyes rolled in terror back to her, not believing this monstrous, impossible thing, because it was … impossible.

She had not moved. She stood tall and straight in the moonlight, the scarf at her side; then she reached up and took the patch from her face, and I saw that the eye beneath it was sound and bright. She cupped it a moment with her hand, and then she shook her head and came a step closer, her face almost against mine.

“Yes, look well,” she said. “Cleonie.”

Of all the dreadful reveals in the series this one got me the most.

quote:

She was lying, she must be; it could not be true. Cleonie was … where, after twenty-five years? And she had been middling tall, and slender, while this woman was near six feet and statuesque, and had a bold, full face with heavy lips and chin – and Cleonie had been a n******! I stared, refusing to believe, while the bright dark eyes bored into mine, and then I caught beneath the full flesh of middle age a fleeting glimpse of the sweet nun-like face of long ago; saw how the dusky high colour might be no more than cosmetic covering on a skin that time had darkened from the pale cream of the octoroon; how that damnable patch had disguised the shape of her face … but the voice, the manner, the whole being of the woman was so utterly unlike the girl I had … had … And as the memory of what I had done rushed back, she whispered softly: “En passant par la Lorraine, avec mes sabots …”, and the bile of terror came up behind my gag.

“You recognise me now? The girl you were going to take to Mexico? I probably had no need of this—” and she held up the patch. “After all, what should a woman look like who has endured twenty-five years of slavery in the hands of the Navajo? She should be dead – unless she’s unlucky enough to be alive, when she should be a wrinkled, withered hag, a verminous shell of a living thing—” her voice was choking “—a poor mad ghost crippled by beatings and starvation and terror of the hell she has been through!” Her eyes were blazing like coals, and her hand came up, nails crooked as though to rake my face; there were tears running down her cheeks again, tears of rage and hate. “You bastard! You filthy, degraded, cowardly, evil, cruel, cruel … cruel … cruel …!” It wailed away in a shuddering gasp, and her clawed hand went over her own face to stifle the great sobs that shook her. The fit passed, and she wiped her cheeks and lifted her face again. “That is what she should look like,” she whispered. “An old, miserable skeleton. Not at all like the splendid Mrs Candy! No, if you ever gave a thought to what Cleonie must have become, you couldn’t have imagined anything like Mrs Candy. And you would hardly recognise in her the child of eighteen you sold for two thousand dollars to the priest of Santa Fe.”

So he’d blabbed, the lousy little Judas! I might have known – but no, it was impossible, it was a nightmare. This could not be … must not be, Cleonie …

British indignity at the most perfect of times.

quote:

“But I had to be sure. Oh, I had to be sure! So …” She slipped the eyepatch on again. “Mrs Candy, you see. And Mr Comber – that was the name was it not? How often I wondered – waited and hated, and wondered – what had become of him. And after twenty-five years I learned that he was Sir Harry Flashman, English gentleman. I didn’t believe it … until I came to New York to see for myself. Then I knew … for you haven’t changed, no, no! Still the same handsome, arrogant, swaggering foulness who used me and lied to me and betrayed me … You haven’t changed. But then, you haven’t been a prisoner of savages, a tortured, degraded slave. Not yet.”

One of the Sioux grunted, pointing – there, through the trees were the steamboat lights, and a distant voice, and I couldn’t utter a sound! She spoke again, in fluent Siouxan.

“No danger. No one saw us. No one will see me go back.”

I writhed in their grip, trying to plead with my eyes, to beg her to remove that beastly gag so that I could explain … Christ, I’d swear truth out of America, if only she’d let me – she must! I bulged my eyes in dumb entreaty, and she shook her head.

“No. I have the truth, you see. And nothing you could say could alter it. We both know how you betrayed and sold a girl who loved and trusted you – oh, yes, she loved you! If she had not –” her eye was fierce with angry tears again, and her voice trembled “—it would not have hurt … so much. And I could never have hated as I do now, if I had not … loved, once, you see.” She steadied and went on:

“I could have had you killed in New York, for fifty dollars. But it would have been too easy. Yep.” The vibrant Creole voice which had whispered like velvet and shaken with passion, was gone, and in its place the nasal Yankee of Mrs Candy, cold and flat as a mortuary slab, and all the more frightening because it was without emotion. She might have been discussing some new sexual activity, or the Bismarck project – Jesus, Bismarck and the letter and the corporation … my brain whirled with it all, and her voice cut through it like a knife.

“I’m not going to waste time. Just enough to let you know how I come to be here – so that when I go back to the boat, and you go … where you’re going, you’ll be able to appreciate the justice of it. Oh-kay.” She broke abruptly into Siouxan. “Set his back against that tree. The light on his face.”

They threw me brutally against the tree and held me. She came in front of me, and I began to blubber in panic, for in that merciless beautiful face I could see Narreeman in the dungeon, Ranavalona staring down from her balcony, the Amazon women when they caught that poor bastard on the Dahomey creek … oh, God, was she going to set about me? I couldn’t bear it, I’d go mad …

“You needn’t cry yet,” said the passionless voice. “Later. Listen. You sold me to a Navajo animal. I’ll not describe what he did to me. I’ll just say you’re the only man I’ve hated more. For two years I belonged to him, and if I hadn’t been a trained whore, knowing how degraded men can be, I’d have gone mad or killed myself. Then he died, and I was sold to Ute slavers,70 who took me north – and amused themselves with me on the way – and sold me among the Blackfeet. There I went through another hell, until the Cheyenne raided our village, and I was taken as part of the loot, and sold to the Sioux in the Black Hills country, Oh-kay.”

I was in such a drench of fear that I couldn’t think of much, but it did occur to me that she hadn’t had a much worse time of it than in Susie’s brothel, surely. It wasn’t as if she’d been kidnapped from a convent. She leaned closer.

“Do you know what I found among the Sioux? No, how should you? I found kindness. I don’t say they’re any better than Navajo or Ute or Blackfeet – only that the man who bought me was a man, who was good to me, and cared for me, and treated me as an honourable woman. Even you may understand what that means. I was twenty-one, and had been used and abused and beaten and raped by hundreds of men – white, Spanish, Mexican, Indian – and a Sioux savage who lived in a filthy tent and could eat raw meat – he treated me like an honourable woman. He wouldn’t have understood the word, and I doubt if you do, but to him I was a lady. Yep. His name was Broken-Moon-Goes-Alone. I was his faithful wife for two years, although I didn’t love him. And when I asked him to let me go back to what I called ‘my own people’, he agreed. That was the kind of man he was: he knew I wasn’t happy, so he took me to Fort Laramie, and sold some robes for fifty dollars – and gave it all to me. All he said was: “If you come back some day, Walking Willow, my tipi and my heart will both be open.” I never went back as his wife, but I visited some, till he died. And, as you see, I have good friends among the Sioux.” So these smelly swine gripping me were presumably her bloody cousins-in-law.

“Oh-kay. Then I started in where I’d have started in Mexico if you hadn’t betrayed me. I whored – and as no one knows better than you, I’m good at it. I had my own stable before I was thirty, and by the time the war ended I owned the biggest brothel in Denver. Yep, I still do, and have shares in several other businesses, some of them respectable. But they don’t include the Upper Missouri Corporation – that was invented for your benefit. Oh, there’s a genuine Bismarck scheme, yep, but I have no part in it. But I knew that this …” She placed her hands on her hips and swayed her body slightly “… would be the real bait to get Mr Comber where I’ve been wanting him for the past twenty-five years.”

A long time for a magnificent revenge.

quote:

She replaced her scarf round her head, and glanced aside to the distant lights of the Far West – so close, but for me it might as well have been in New Zealand. Couldn’t any of the fools aboard her see, or guess, or intervene to save me from whatever horror was in store? For it was coming now, and I’d have no chance to plead or lie or grovel; she was determined not to give me the chance, the callous, cold-blooded slut.

“You sold me to the Indians,” she said quietly. “You did the foulest, cruellest thing – for two thousand dollars. I’m not getting a cent for you, but I wouldn’t take a million to spare you one instant of what’s going to happen to you. You sent me to death, or a lifetime of suffering, and it wasn’t your fault I survived. So now you go the way I went. These savages are my friends, and they know the wrong you did me. You know what they do to white men prisoners at the best of times, and with your friend General Custer preparing to butcher them, the times couldn’t be much worse. Oh-kay. Your suffering won’t last as long as mine did, but I’m sure it’ll seem a lot longer. I hope so.”

I was struggling frantically, with those painted devils hanging on to me, but she seemed not to notice. She drew her scarf closer about her shoulders, and shivered a little, looking towards the boat. Her voice sounded tired.

“I’m going back to the boat now. They’ll miss you tomorrow, and I’ll insist on a search, but Captain Marsh won’t dare neglect his duty to the expedition for long. And I’ll be able to sleep alone again. When I was a young girl, new in the trade, I sometimes used to cry out against God: ‘Was this what You made me for? Is this what You meant for me, God?’ At its worst it was better than the last few weeks, when I played the whore to get you here.” She glanced at me incuriously. “Strange to think I once did it for love … the only man I ever loved. You shouldn’t have done that to me in Santa Fe.”

She turned and walked away beneath the trees, the tall graceful figure receding quickly into the shadows. The Sioux dragged me away from the tree and ran me into the woods, away from the river.

And so goes the most terrifying return in the series. Oh, uh, and how's he gonna get outta this one? Let's see... next time.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Out of everything he's done, betraying Cleonie like he did stood out the most to me. It coming back to haunt him is pretty good. Pretty, pretty good.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

This is what I love about the series: Flashman reliably gets called out on his poo poo. You can point to Fraser’s hatred of the Japanese in his WW2 memoirs or his late-in-life conservatism, and all those are fair. But in the text of the series, he knows what is monstrous and what is not, and makes sure that someone gives Flash hell to his face for most of his really vile actions.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
I have no problem with the twist in theory, but I feel the execution really isn't up to Fraser's usual standards.

My theory has always been that he came up with it while writing the second book (Flashman and the Redskins is very much two books released together), and for whatever reason didn't want to change anything significant in the first one so he just added a few lines, leaving the betrayal extremely poorly motivated.

He also doesn't actually explain any of her physical changes, just points them out. Maybe she went to Brazil for plastic surgery...

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
This is my favorite reveal.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

25 years accounts for a lot of physical changes, and maybe Flashman was misremembering her height?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Yeah, perception of someone's height is one of the most change-able things about them in my experience. We all know people we think of as taller or shorter than they actually are.

I find that twist a very effective one, not only for how she points out how awful the consequences of Flashman's actions were for her, but how casual his betrayal was and how uncommon it is for it to catch up with him. Yes, the two books are paired together, but in Flashman's lifetime (which is partly mapped out by this point in the series) he has travelled all over the world and been in uncounted extreme situations over those intervening 25 years. And he probably hardly gave Cleonie a thought after relieving himself of her like unwanted baggage. He's just so confident that he's untouchable, and to see that punctured so justifiably is awesome.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

That is stone cold and richly deserved.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Genghis Cohen posted:

I find that twist a very effective one, not only for how she points out how awful the consequences of Flashman's actions were for her, but how casual his betrayal was and how uncommon it is for it to catch up with him. Yes, the two books are paired together, but in Flashman's lifetime (which is partly mapped out by this point in the series) he has travelled all over the world and been in uncounted extreme situations over those intervening 25 years. And he probably hardly gave Cleonie a thought after relieving himself of her like unwanted baggage. He's just so confident that he's untouchable, and to see that punctured so justifiably is awesome.

mllaneza posted:

That is stone cold and richly deserved.

Oh my yes. I thought Candy might be Cleonie, but I wasn't sure of the whys and wherefores. Now that I am, Flashy you bastard, :getin:

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Finally caught up with the thread after a few weeks of reading just in time for this delicious reveal. I've read the series once upon a time, but clearly not recently enough because I was certainly surprised.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Genghis Cohen posted:

Yeah, perception of someone's height is one of the most change-able things about them in my experience. We all know people we think of as taller or shorter than they actually are.

Sure, but not to this extent. Cleonie is mentioned as being medium height, which in the 1870s is something like 155 cm while Candy is near 6 foot so around 180cm. That is an absolutely massive difference.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

I still say that if it hadn’t been for that damned gag, I’d have been back on the Far West before midnight, rogering her speechless. And she knew it, too, and must have arranged for my abductors to muzzle me first go off, so that I’d never get a word in edgeways to sweetheart her. You see, however much they loathe you, whatever you’ve done, the old spark never quite dies – why, for all her hate, she’d blubbered at the mere recollection of our youthful passion, and for all she said, our weeks on the boat could only have reminded her of what she’d been missing. No, she knew damned well that if once she listened to my blandishments she’d be rolling over with her paws in the air, so like old Queen Bess with the much-maligned Essex chap, she daren’t take the risk. Pity, but there it was.

But I confess these speculations weren’t in my mind just then, as they dragged me through the dark woods, hammering me when I stumbled, and thrust me astride a pony. Then it was off up a gentle slope, with those four monsters round me; I was near suffocating with the gag, which didn’t assist thought as I tried to grapple with the impossibility of what had happened.

Yet I knew it wasn’t impossible. Mrs Candy was Cleonie, come back like Nemesis; once the patch was off, and she’d whispered that snatch of her French riding song, in her old voice, I’d have known her beyond doubt. I couldn’t marvel at not recognising her earlier, even at the closest quarters; she’d grown, for one thing, filled out admirably, and the brash, hard Mrs Candy was as different from the dove-like Creole as could be, in speech and manner – aye, and nature. I suppose that’s what twenty-five years of being bulled by redskins and whoring on the frontier and acquiring bordellos does to you. Not surprising, really. Even so, she’d played it brilliantly, hadn’t she just? Keeping me at arm’s length, the Bismarck nonsense, galloping me westward to the very spot where she could deal me out poetic justice, the spiteful bitch. What simpler than to send word to her Sioux friends (doubtless with a handsome fee) and have them scout the boat along the Yellowstone, ready at her signal to pounce on the unsuspecting victim and shanghai him into the hills to stick burning splinters in his tenderer parts? Neat, but not gaudy – simplicity itself compared to some of the plots that have been hatched all over me by the likes of Lola and Lincoln and Otto Bismarck and Ignatieff and … God, I’ve had some rotten luck.

What I couldn’t fathom, though, was how the devil she’d discovered that the much-respected Flashy of ’76 was the long-lost B. M. Comber of ’49. She’d heard, she said – but from whom? Who was there still who’d known me as Comber in the earlies, had recognized me now, and tipped her the wink? Spotted Tail – why, he’d never heard the name Comber in his life; I’d been Wind Breaker to him from ’50, and what should he and Mrs Candy know of each other? Susie, Maxwell, Wootton and the like I could dismiss; I hadn’t seen them or they me in quarter of a century, supposing they were still alive. Carson was dead; no one in the Army knew about Comber. Lincoln was dead. But I was a fool to be thinking of folk I remembered – there must be hundreds I’d forgotten who might still remember me, and seeing Flashy promenading down Broadway would exclaim “Comber, bigod!” Old Navy men, perhaps a returned emigrant from the wagon train, a Cincinnati invalid, someone out west, like a Laramie hunter or trader. Susie’s whores, by thunder! They’d know me, and if Cleonie was anything to go by, the graduates of Mrs Willinck’s academy might be running half the knocking-shops in America by now – aye, and corresponding with the other old girls, devil a doubt … “Dearest Cleonie, you’ll never guess who called in for a rattle at our shop the other day! ’Twas such a start! Tall, English, distinguished, fine whiskers … give up?” How many of the bawdy-houses I’d frequented had black madames? Difficult … but that would be it, like as not.

Knock out an armada one day, knock over this strapping fellow the next, yes sir, QE I had it made. Wait, what happened to him? Oh. Oh dear. Well, where were we? Oh poo poo.

quote:

These were random thoughts, you understand, floating up through stupefied terror from time to time. The point was that four damnably hostile Sioux were bearing me into the wilderness with murderous intent, and if there was one thing I’d learned in a lifetime of hellish fixes, it was the need to thrust panic aside and keep cool if there was to be the slimmest chance of winning clear.

Once we had skirted the high bluff and reached the rough upland, they headed south-west by the stars. It might be they’d go a safe distance and then set to roasting me over a slow fire, but I doubted it; they were riding steady, so it looked like a longish trek across the northern Powder country towards the Big Horn Mountains; that was where the Sioux were mostly hanging their hats these days. Somewhere far off to my left, up the Rosebud, Custer would be starting his long swing south and west to roughly the same destination. I was pinning no hopes on him, though – the last man you want riding to the rescue is G.A.C., for there’ll be blood on the carpet for certain, and the more I thought, the more my hope grew of emerging from this pickle peaceful-like. After all, Mrs Candy wasn’t the only one with chums among the Sioux – I spoke the lingo, I could cite Spotted Tail as a bosom pal, and even if he was far away there must be hostiles who’d remember me from Camp Robinson and who might think twice about dismembering a U.S. treaty commissioner just to please the former squaw of Broken-Moon-Goes-Alone. Certainly they’d not be well disposed to anyone white just now, and given a prisoner they’re more likely to take a long thoughtful look at his innards than not. But again, I might buy my way clear, or get a chance to play my real trump card – somewhere up ahead, and the nearest thing to God between Canada and the Platte, was Tashunka Witko Crazy Horse, and while I hadn’t seen him since he was six, he wouldn’t let them snip pieces off a man who’d practically dandled him on his knee, surely?

I put these points to my captors at our dawn halt, when they had to remove my gag to let me drink and eat some jerked meat and corn-mush; I suggested that the cleverest thing they could do would be to return me to the fire-canoe on the Yellowstone, where I’d see they got safe-conduct and all the dollars they wanted from Many-Stars-Soldier Terry.

Cute name, but two stars isn't that many. Well, on both shoulders though...

quote:

They listened in ominous silence, four grim blanketed figures with the paint smeared and faded on their ugly faces, and not a flicker of expression except pure malice. Then their leader, one Jacket, started to lambast me with his quirt, and the others joined in with sticks and feet, thrashing me until I yelled for mercy, and didn’t get it. When they were tired, and I was black and blue, Jacket stuffed the gag back brutally, kicked me again for luck, and stooped over me, his evil grinning face next to mine.

“You have two tongues – you are not American, although you sat with the liars at White River. You are the Washechuska Wind Breaker, who sold my brother’s woman, Walking Willow, to the Navajo who shamed her. You are going to die – kakeshya!” He launched into a description that can give me nightmares even now, and took another hack at me. “Spotted Tail! A woman and a coward! We’ll send him a gift of your –, since he seems to have lost his own!”

The others howled with glee at that, and threw me on to the pony with more blows and taunts. And now I knew real fear, as I realised that I was tasting the temper of the hostile Sioux, the merciless desperate savages who stood beyond the law, who were not going to be rounded up on to the agencies, who loathed everything white and despised Spotted Tail as a traitor, and who were preparing, with all the hate and fury Custer could have wished, to meet whatever the Americans might send against them. One white captive wasn’t going to buy or bully his way out of their clutches; torturing him to death would be a momentary amusement on the way to better things.

All day we rode south-west over the bare country east of the Big Horn; even allowing for my jaundiced eye, it was neither a grand nor memorable prospect, just endless low hills and ridges of yellow grass, with a few trees here and there, and the outline of mountains far in the distance. A few vivid pictures stay in mind: a buffalo skeleton picked clean in a gully, a hawk that lingered above us for hours in the blazing afternoon, a party of Sans Arc Sioux who crossed our trail and yelled exultant news of a great victory over the Grey Fox Crook to the south – not a word of Custer, though, which seemed odd, for he must be well up the Rosebud by now. Then on, over those endless sparse hollows and hills, with the grasses blowing in the wind, while my body ached with ill-usage and weariness, and my unaccustomed backside must have rivalled the setting sun. My thoughts – well, I don’t care to dwell on them; I remembered the fate of Gallantin’s scalp-hunters, and Sonsee-array laughing merrily over the details.

Well, it looks like the comeuppances of Flash's misdeeds are starting to stack, let's see how he suffers further... next time!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

We lay that night in a gully, and every joint in my ageing body was on fire when we rode on next morning. Ahead of us there were bluffs now, and in the gullies we met occasional parties of Indians, hunters and women with burdens, and a few boys running half-naked in the bright sunshine, playing with their bows, their voices piping in the clear air. I caught a glimpse of a river down below us to the left, and presently we reached the top of the bluffs, my guards were whooping and calling to each other in delight, and as my pony jolted to a halt I raised my tired head and saw such a sight as no white man had ever seen in the New World. I was the first, and only a few saw it later, and most of them didn’t see it for long.

Directly below us the placid river wound in great loops between fine groves of trees in a broad valley bottom. On our side the valley was enclosed by the bluffs on which we stood, although to our right the bluffs became a ridge, running away for a couple of miles into the hazy distance. From the bluffs to the river the ground fell pretty steeply, but from the crest of the long ridge the slope was much more gentle, a few hundred yards of hillside down to the river with a few gullies and dry courses here and there. It’s like any other hillside, very peaceful and quite pretty, all clothed in pale yellow grass like thin short wheat, with a few bright flowers and thistles. All ordinary enough, but I suppose there are a few old Indians who think of it now as others may think of Waterloo or Hastings or Bannockburn. They call it the Greasy Grass.

But I barely noticed it that morning, for on the opposite bank of the river was a spectacle to stop the breath. Anyone from my time has seen Indian villages – a few score lodges, sometimes a few hundred perhaps covering the space of a cricket field. But here in splendid panorama was a town of tipis that must have covered close on ten square miles; as far as I could see the bank was a forest of lodges, set in great tribal circles from the thick woods upstream to our left to the more open land farther down opposite the Greasy Grass slope, and from the groves by the water’s edge back to a low table-land in the distance, where a great pony herd grazed.

It was the largest assembly of Red Indians in history, and while I couldn’t know that, I was sufficiently awestruck – were these the few dispersed bands of hostiles I’d heard lightly spoken of, the fag-end of the once-mighty Sioux confederacy which Terry and Gibbon had been afraid might melt away and escape; the thousand or two who weren’t worth bringing up the Gatlings for? I saw Custer’s face turned in impatience to Lonesome Charley Reynolds: “We are more than a match for them if they were all together.” Well, they were all together with a vengeance; there must be ten thousand of the red buggers down there if there was one – who the devil could they all be? I didn’t know, but all America knows now: Hunkpapa, Sans Arc, Brulé, Oglala, Minneconju, the whole great roll-call of the Dacotah nation, with Arapaho, Blackfeet, Stony, Shoshoni and other lesser detachments from half the tribes of the North Plains and Shining Mountains – and not forgetting my old acquaintances, the Cheyenne. Never forget the Cheyenne. But five or ten thousand, Charley, it made no difference – everyone knew they weren’t going to fight. Not they – not Sitting Bull or Crazy Horse or Two Moon or Brave Bear or Lame White Man or Bobtail Horse or White Bull or Calf or Roan Horse or a few thousand others. Especially not the ugly little gentleman whom I’d put up for membership of the United Service Club if I had my way, since he was the best soldier who ever wore paint and feathers, drat him. His name was Gall.

author's note posted:

Estimates of the number of Indians in the Little Bighorn encampment vary, but ten to twelve thousand is a popular figure. It was not by any means the largest assembly of Indians ever known, although other writers than Flashman have made this error; the largest gathering of so-called hostiles it may have been, but there were twice as many Indians present during the Camp Robinson council of the previous year. (See Anson Mills.) The size of the village itself has been variously estimated at from three to five miles long; bearing in mind that the Little Bighorn is an extremely winding river, and that its course varies slightly today from that of 1876, it seems unlikely that the distance from the Hunkpapa camp at the upstream end of the village to the Cheyenne at its other extremity was more than a bare three miles.

This is a photo of a Cheyenne encampment from about 1909. Also it's been a minute since I praised GMF's ability to paint a landscape with such economy.

quote:

Well, there they were, all nice and quiet in the morning sun, with the smoke haze hanging over the vast expanse of tipis, and the women and kids down at the water’s edge, washing or playing, but I didn’t have long to look at it, for Jacket led us on to a ravine that ran down from the bluffs opposite the centre of the great camp; only later did I learn that it’s called Medicine Tail Coulee, and that the river, which is hardly deep enough to drown in and half a stone’s throw across, was the Little Bighorn.

The ford from the coulee to the camp was only a few inches of water above a stony bed; we splashed over and under the cotton-woods on the far bank, where women and children came running to see, but Jacket pushed ahead to the first line of tipis beyond a flat open space where fires burned and dogs prowled among the litter, and we dismounted before a big lodge with a few braves lounging outside. The stink of Indian and woodsmoke was strong inside as well as out; Jacket thrust me into the dim interior and cut my wrist cords, but only so that he could tie my numbed hands to the ends of a short wooden yoke which his pals laid across my shoulders. He thrust me down into the rubbish on the tipi floor and shouted, and a girl came in.

“This one,” growls Jacket, “is a dirty lump of white buffalo dung who is to die by inches when the One-Who-Catches has seen him. Has he come yet?”

“No, Jacket,” says the girl. “He was in the south, where the fighting was with the Grey Fox seven days ago. Perhaps he will come soon.”

“Until he does, this one must speak to nobody. Take the gag from his mouth now and give him such scraps as the dogs have left. If he speaks,” says he, glaring at me, “I will cut off his lips.” And he drew his knife and threw it point first into the earth beside my foot. His pals crowed, and beyond them I could see curious faces peeping through the tipi flap, come to see the interesting foreigner, no doubt.

The girl fetched a bowl of water and a platter of corn and meat, knelt by me, and removed the gag from my burning mouth. But for two or three short intervals, it had been there for the best part of thirty-six hours, and I couldn’t have spoken if my life depended on it; I gulped the water greedily as she put the bowl to my lips, and when Jacket growled to stop she went on pouring without so much as a glance at him, until I’d sucked the last drop dry. As she spooned the food into me I took a look at her, and noted dully that she was pretty enough for an Indian, with a wide mouth and tip-tilted nose which suggested that some Frog voyageur had wintered among the Sioux fifteen years back. She was very deft and dainty in her spooning, and Jacket got quite impatient, pushing her aside before I was finished and shoving the gag back as roughly as he knew how. He bound it in place with a rawhide strip and soaked the knot, the vicious swine, just to make sure no one could untie it.

I hadn't heard that trick about knots and gagging before. Hopefully it doesn't come up, but these are terrible times.

quote:

“Keep him that way till I come again,” says he, and kicked me two or three times before swaggering out with his pals, leaving me in a state of collapse on the scabby buffalo rug against the tipi side. The girl collected her dishes and went out, without telling me to ring if I wanted anything.

I was in despair – and rage at my own stupidity. In my folly, I had destroyed my best chance, by pitching my tale prematurely to Jacket, offering him bribes, urging acquaintance with Crazy Horse, and so on. I couldn’t have done worse, for Jacket, either out of brotherly affection for Cleonie, or for what she’d paid him, wanted me dead and damned, and was going to make good and sure that I had no second chance of stating my case to less partial Sioux who might have been disposed to listen. I was to be kept gagged and helpless until this mysterious person whom Jacket had mentioned – who was it, the One-Who-Catches? – came to have a look at me, and then presumably I’d be toted out to be strung up and played with for the amusement of the populace, none of whom would know who I was, or care, for that matter. God, that implacable bitch Cleonie-Candy had done for me with a vengeance – she and her stinking relatives.

I lay palpitating in the dim lodge, wondering if when next they fed me I’d get a chance to yell for help – and what good it might do if I did – and what were the chances of Terry and Gibbon’s little army arriving, and what might happen then. This camp, after all, was their target, if they could find it – but they must, for their scouts would see its smoke ten miles away, and there was bound to be a parley, for neither side could take the risk of precipitate attack. And if they parleyed … I felt my hopes rise. When had Gibbon figured to come up with the hostiles? The twenty-sixth … I forced my numb mind to calculate the days since we’d left Rosebud – this must be the twenty-fourth! If I could stay alive for forty-eight hours, and Gibbon’s column got here, and I could get my mouth open to some half-friendly ear …

The tipi flap parted, and the girl came in again. She glanced at me, and then began pottering with some utensils in a corner. I scrambled to my feet, with that damned yoke galling my neck, and as she looked round I ducked my head in the direction of the water-pitcher and tried to look appealing. She glanced towards the flap, and then back at me; I can’t say she looked sympathetic, for her face was strained and tired and her eyes empty, but after a moment she motioned me to sit down again, filled a bowl with water, and with some difficulty slipped free the rawhide strap that held the gag. She eased it out, and I gasped and sucked at that blessed water, easing the pain of my parched lips and tongue. I wished to God I looked more presentable, for now I saw she was decidedly comely, with her boyish figure in its dark green tunic, her slim hands and ankles, and that saucy little face that seemed so woebegone; given a shave and a comb and a change of linen I could have cheered her up in no time, but seeing my eyes on her she made a little sign for silence, glancing again towards the entrance.

Well, let's see if a few seconds with a pretty face is enough to save him... next time!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

“What’s your name, kind girl with the pretty face?”

She gasped in surprise at hearing Sioux. “Walking Blanket Woman,” says she, her eyes wide.

“Oglala?” She nodded. “You know the Chief Tashunka Witko?” Again she nodded, and I could have kissed her as my spirits soared. “Listen, quickly. I am the Washechuska Wind Breaker, friend of your chief’s uncle, Sintay Galeska of the Burned Thighs. This evil man Jacket intends to kill me, although I am a friend to your people—”

“Washechuska, what is that?” says she. “You are an Isantanka bad man, one of our enemies—”

“No, no! My tongue’s straight! Go to your chief, quickly—”

“Your tongue is double!” I was startled at her fierceness, and the flash of sudden anger in her eyes. “You have done great wrong – Jacket told me! All Isantanka white men are our enemies!” And before I knew it she had stuffed the gag back into my potato trap, and was hauling the rawhide up into place, while I tried to jerk my head free. But she was strong for all her daintiness, and cursed me something fearful, with little sobs among the swear-words.

“I was a fool to pity you!” She gave the strip a final tug and then clouted me over the ear. She knelt in front of me, her little face grim as she choked back her tears. “Seven days ago your Isanhonska Long Knives killed my brother in the Grey Fox fight! That is the kind of friends your people are! I was a fool to give you water and let you open your snake’s mouth! Why should I be sorry for you!” And, damme, she clocked me again and flounced away, clattering her pots and wiping her eyes.

A younger Flash may well have succeeded at this, but that was before decades of wear on him & further genocide by the Americans.

quote:

Of all the infernal luck. Womanly sympathy one minute, and the next she was battering me because her rear end of a brother had got himself killed against Crook. I struggled with my yoke and scrabbled my feet in what I hoped was a coaxing, reasonable way, but she never gave me another look, and presently went out again.

Well, that was another hope dashed – temporarily. If I was patient, her natural kindness might revive, brother or no; my powers of persuasion with the female sex are considerable, and even with my scrubby chin and dishevelled locks and tattered clobber – the remains of full evening dress, God help us, in a Sioux tipi – I knew I could charm this little looker, if she’d only listen. Ain’t it odd? Twice in as many days I’d been prevented by speechlessness from exercising my arts on unfriendly females. It never rains but it pours.

I thought I’d get another chance when they fed me again – but they didn’t. Jacket looked in once for a kick at me, but no suggestion of dinner, and I lay there miserably as evening came, and outside the drumming and chanting began – they were holding a scalp dance for the Rosebud fight, I believe, but I was barely conscious of the din, for despite the cramping agony of my yoke, and my other aches, I fell into an uneasy doze, half-filled with horrid pictures of one-eyed women and painted faces and captives bound to burning stakes who looked uncommon like me in Hussar uniform. A Saturday night it was, too.

It was bird-song that woke me, and sunlight through the tipi flap catching the corner of my eye, which was drowsily pleasant for a moment, until a harsh voice jarred me back to my plight. There were half a dozen Indians in the tipi, looking down at me with stony indifference; the one who was talking was Jacket, and he seemed to be exhibiting me.

“… when the One-Who-Catches has seen him, he will go to the fire. It is the wish of my brother’s wife, and mine, and our family’s!” He spoke as though challenging contradiction, but he didn’t get any. “Whoever he says he is, he deserves to die by kakeshya. Who says he is a friend of Spotted Tail’s, anyway?”

“Who cares?” says another, a burly ruffian with his belly hanging over his waistband and shoulders like an ox. His face was huge and ugly, but not without a humour that I was in no state to appreciate. His leggings and jacket were red, and he carried a short war-bonnet in his hand. “Do what you like with him; he’s white,” says this callous brute. “Come on! Totanka Yotanka is back from the hill; he has been ‘seeing’.” He gave a grunting laugh. “Pity he can’t ‘see’ some buffalo.”

If I’d known then that the speaker was Gall, the Hunkpapa chief I mentioned earlier, I might have been impressed, but probably not, for there was only one of the half-dozen who claimed attention. He alone had no war-bonnet or feathers, or anything but a coloured shirt; he was young and wiry, lean-faced and lank-haired and without paint – but with those eyes he didn’t need any. For a moment I wondered if he was blind, or in a trance, for he gazed straight ahead unseeing; I doubted if he even knew where he was. His shirt was blue-sleeved and gold-collared, with a great yellow band on which was a red disc, and its sleeves and shoulders were fringed with more scalps than I’d care to count. When Jacket tapped his arm, he turned those staring blank eyes on me, but without any change of expression: it made my skin crawl, and I was glad when they trooped out, Jacket taking another kick at me on the way – he liked kicking me, no error.

And that kicker with the ugly look can only have been:

author's note posted:

... Crazy Horse. While the one unauthenticated photograph of him is too vague for comparison, Flashman’s description tallies fairly well with others, and the design of the medicine shirt puts the wearer’s identity beyond question; it corresponds exactly with the shirt belonging to Crazy Horse which was presented by Little Big Man to Captain John G. Bourke of the 3rd Cavalry, the well-known Indian authority and historian. (See Bourke, Medicine-Men.)

quote:

I got no breakfast that morning, either. Possibly on Jacket’s instructions, possibly because she was still peeved at me, Walking Blanket Woman didn’t look near for several hours, by which time I could hear all the bustle and stir of the great camp – voices and laughter and kids yelling and a bone-flute playing and dogs barking, and the smell of kettles, and me famished. Even when she arrived she was decidedly cool and wouldn’t remove my gag; it was only by piteous eye-rolling and head-ducking that I got her to relent sufficiently to pour water over my gagged mouth, so that I could obtain some refreshment. She raised no objection when I humped my yoke over to the flap, and took a cautious peep at the outside world.

It must have been just after noon of Sunday, June 25th, 1876. I wondered if Elspeth was in church at Philadelphia, examining the hats and pretending attentive approval of the sermon. I could have wept at the thought, and how my foolish whore-mongering had brought me to this awful pass. God, what an idiot I’d been – and that bitch Candy would be bedding one of the stokers on the Far West, no doubt. Fine subjects for Sabbath meditation, you see – but they don’t matter; what I did and saw that afternoon are what matter, and I’ll relate it as clearly and truthfully as I can.

All was calm in that part of the village between my tipi and the river. There was a fairish crowd of Indians doing what Indians usually do – squatting and loafing, scratching and gossiping in groups, some of the bucks painting, the women cooking at the fires, the kids scampering. There was a slow general drift upstream – that, I’m told, is where Sitting Bull’s camp circle of Hunkpapa was, with the other tribal groups strung out downstream, ending with the Cheyenne at the bottom limit, out of sight to my left as I peeped towards the river. Where exactly my tipi was I’ve never quite determined; all sorts of maps have been drawn of that camp, and I believe I must have been in a lodge of the Sans Arc circle, close by the river – but Walking Blanket Woman was an Oglala, so God knows. Certainly the ford was to my right front, perhaps a hundred yards off, and above the trees I had a fair view of Medicine Tail Coulee running up into the bluffs on the far shore.

Walking Blanket Woman spoke suddenly at my elbow. “Take a good look, white-face,” says she, pretty sullen. “Soon they will be looking at you. The One-Who-Catches will come today, and you will be burned. Maybe other white snakes will be burned, too, if they come any closer.”

And off she went, clattering her pots, leaving me to wonder what the devil she meant. Had Terry’s force been sighted, perhaps? If Gibbon had force-marched, he could be here today. Custer and his blasted 7th must be roaming off in the blue somewhere, or he’d have been here already. If only I could ask questions!

We'll leave him to his questions and observations and pick up with a musical interlude... next time!

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Like the build up to the mutiny, just a slow fuse burning towards disaster for ol GAC.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

The hawk stoops, but in the grass

The rabbit does not lift his head.

He runs but does not see. The hunter

Waits, and the quarry is unaware.

They come, they come! from the rising sun.

Will any meet them, the hunter with his bow and long lance?

It was an old man singing in a high, keening wail, as he shuffled by, face upturned and eyes closed, dirty white hair hanging over his blanket. He had a pot from which he dabbed vermilion on his cheeks in spots as he sang; then from a medicine bag he shook dust on the ground either side. The people fell silent, watching him; even the kids stopped their row.

Who are the braves with high hearts?

Who sings? Who sings his death-song?

Is it the young hunter, shading his eyes as he looks to the east?

But the sun is high now; it shines on both the hawk and the quarry.

The thin voice died away, and a great stillness seemed to have fallen on the camp. I ain’t being fanciful; it was like the silence after the last hymn in church. Out in the heat haze they were standing in silent groups – women, children, braves in their blankets or breech-clouts, some with their faces half-painted; they were looking upstream through the trees, but at nothing that I could see. Over the river the bluffs were empty, except for a few children playing on the Greasy Grass slope to the left; the woods around us were quiet, and no birds sang now. A dog yelped in the distance, a few ponies under the care of a stripling snuffled and stamped, the crackle of a fire fifty yards away was audible, and the soft murmur of the Little Bighorn meandering through its fringe of cottonwoods. I’ll never forget that silence, as though a storm were coming, yet the sky was clear midsummer blue, with the least fleecy drift of high clouds.

It's like I'm there.

quote:

Somewhere on the right, away towards the Hunkpapa circle, there was a soft mutter of sound, a rustle as of distant voices growing, and then a shout, and then more shouting, and the low throb of a drum. People began to move up that way, the braves first, the women more slowly, calling their children to them; voices were raised in question now, feet moved more quickly, stirring the dust. The hum of distant voices was a clamour, rippling down towards us as the word passed, indistinct but of growing urgency; crouched under my yoke just inside the tipi, I wondered what on earth it could be; Walking Blanket Woman pushed past me – and then from the trees up to the right there was a scatter of people, and I heard the yell:

“Pony-soldiers! Long Knives coming. Run, run quickly! Pony-soldiers!”

In a moment it was chaos. They ran like startled ants, braves shouting, women screaming, children rolling underfoot, all in utter disorder, while the yells from upstream increased, and then came the distant crack of a shot, and then a fusilade, and then the running rattle of irregular firing, and to my disbelieving ears, the faint note of a bugle, sounding the charge! At this the panic redoubled, they milled everywhere, with some of the braves yelling to try to restore order, and the mob of women and children surging past downstream. The men were trying to herd them away, and at the same time shouting to each other, and with mothers crying for their children and vice versa, and the wiser heads trying to give directions, it was bedlam. The crash of distant firing was continuous now, and to my right I could hear the whoops and war-cries of men running to join the fight, wherever it was.

One thing was sure – it wasn’t Gibbon. If he came at all it would be from my left, downstream; this was all up at the southern end of the valley, and they were pony-soldiers. Christ, it could only be Custer! And seven hundred strong, against this enormous mass of hostiles! No – it might be Crook, hitting back after his reverse at the Rosebud; this was far more likely, and he had twice as many men as Custer. Perhaps it was both of them, two thousand sabres; the Sioux would have their hands full if that were so.

(It wasn’t, of course. It was Reno, obeying orders, coming full tilt towards the Hunkpapa circle along the bank with a hundred-odd riders. And I called Raglan a fool!)

Looks like an overly literal fellow.

quote:

Across my front braves were hurrying upstream. One young buck was strapping on two six-guns as he ran, and a girl hurried after him with his eagle feather; he was shouting as she thrust it through his braid, and then he was away, and she standing on tiptoe with her knuckles to her mouth; two more braves I saw tumbling out of a tipi, one with a lance and his face painted half-red, half-black, and an old man and old woman hobbling behind them, the old fellow with an ancient musket which he was calling to the boys to take, but they never heard, and he stood there holding it forlornly; another old woman hurried by with a small boy, the bundle she was carrying burst open, and they both paused to scrabble in the dust until the kid shrieked and pulled the old girl aside as a thunder of hooves came from my left, and out from beneath the trees came as fine a sight (I speak as a cavalryman, you understand) as one could wish – a horde of feathered, painted braves, lances and rifles a-flourish, whooping like bedamned. Brulés and Minneconju, I think, but I’m no expert, and then there was another yell somewhere behind my tipi, and by humping out for a look I could see another mob of feathered friends making for the river, too – Oglala, I fancy, and everywhere there were braves on foot, with bows and rifles and hatchets and clubs, racing towards the sound of the firing, which was growing fiercer but, I thought, no nearer.

The Brulé riders were thundering by before me, shrieking their “Kye-kye-kye-yik!” and “Hoo’hay!”, and if ever you hear that from a Sioux, get the hell out of his way, because he isn’t asking you the time. The only worse noise he makes is “Hoon!” which is the equivalent of the Zulu “s’jee!” and signifies that he’s sticking steel into someone. Out before my tipi was the old singer, waving his arms and bawling:

“Go! Go, Lacotahs! It’s a good day to die!”

There’s a kindred spirit, thinks I – he wasn’t going. But the rest of them were, by gum, horse, foot, guns, bows, and every damned thing – these were the Sioux who weren’t going to fight, you recall. They vanished among the trees upstream, and the women and kids were away down in t’other direction by now – which left the world to sunlight and to me, more or less. Suddenly there was hardly a soul in sight between me and the river; a few stragglers, one or two old men, the ancient singer who had stopped encouraging the lads and was making tracks to his tipi. Upstream the firing was banging away as loud as ever – but I didn’t care for it. The boys in blue were making no headway at all; if anything, the crash of musketry was receding, which was damned discouraging.

Now, two things I must make clear. First, that I had not merely been viewing the stirring scene, but considering keenly which way salvation lay, and deciding to lie low. I was wearing four feet of timber across my neck, you see, with my hands bound to it, to say nothing of being painfully gagged, and while my feet were free, I felt I’d be a trifle conspicuous if I lit out from cover – and where to, anyway? Secondly, my memory, while acute for what I hear and see and feel in the heat of battle, is usually at fault where time is concerned. I’m not alone in that – any soldier will tell you that five minutes fighting can seem like an hour, or t’other way round. From the sound of the first shot I would guess that perhaps twenty minutes had passed, and now the sound of firing was decidedly fainter, when across the clearing Walking Blanket Woman came running – she’d pushed past me and disappeared, you remember, and here she was again, excited as all get-out.

“They are killing your pony-soldiers! Ai-ee!” cries the bloodthirsty biddy. “They are driving them back on the river! Everywhere they kill them! Ees! Soon all will be dead!”

She was rummaging in a corner of the tipi, and damme if she didn’t come up with a most ugly-looking hatchet and a long thin knife, which she tested on the ball of her thumb, grunting with satisfaction. Plainly she was going to join in the fun, no doubt to avenge her brother – and then she stopped and looked at me, and the light of battle died out of the saucy little face, and I could read her thoughts as clear as if she’d spoken.

“Drat!” she was thinking. “There’s this great idiot to look after, and me all over of a heat to help cut up the remains! How tiresome! Oh, well, someone’s got to mind the shop, I suppose – hold on, though! If I ‘look after’ him permanently, so to speak, I can go with a clear conscience … on the other hand, Jacket will be annoyed if he’s cheated of his little kakeshya – haven’t seen a good flaying and dismembering for ages myself, for that matter. But I would like to join the fun up yonder …”

It was such a winsome little face, too, but as the expressions chased one another across it my gorge rose. She was eyeing me doubtfully, thoughtfully, angrily, determinedly – and I was about to bolt headlong, yoke or not, when above the distant din of firing came another sound, so faint that for an instant I thought it was imagination, and yet it was quite close at hand, across the river.

She heard it too, and we both stood stock-still, straining our ears. It was just the tiniest murmur at first, and then the drift as of a musical pipe, far, far away. And while I’m well aware that the 7th Cavalry band was not present at Little Bighorn, I know what I heard, and all I can say is that some trooper had a penny whistle, and was blowing it. For there was no doubt – somewhere beyond the river, on the high bluffs a bare half-mile away, was sounding the music of Garryowen.

Fraser's imaginary imaginary dialogue is again a treat.

Well, the cavalry's arrived and everything is chaos, let's see how this proceeds... next time!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

Walking Blanket Woman was beside me in an instant. We both stood staring over the trees. The bluffs were empty – and then on their crest there was a movement, and another a little behind, and then another, tiny objects just above the skyline, slowly coming into view – horsemen, and one of the foremost carrying a guidon, and then a file of troopers, and I could make out the shapes of fatigue hats – ten, twenty, thirty riders, and as they rode at the walk, the piping was clear now, and I found the words running through my head that the 8th Hussars had sung on the way to Alma:

Our hearts so stout have got us fame,

For soon ’tis known from whence we came,

Where’er we go they dread the name

Of Garryowen in glory.

The piping stopped, and I heard the shout of command faint over the trees. They had halted, and in the little knot of men round the guidon I caught a glint – field-glasses, sweeping the valley. Custer had come to Little Bighorn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgmZoqswQiA

Not since Elphy in book one has Fraser so chronicled the doom of one man and it isn't until the final book that he will surpass this.

quote:

Perhaps I’m a better soldier than I care to think, for I know what I thought in that moment. My first concern should have been how the blazes to get across to them, but possibly because it was a long, steep way, and there was a young lady beside me at least toying with the notion of putting her knife-point to my ear and pushing, it seemed academic. And the instinctive order that I would have hollered across that river was: “Retire! And don’t tarry on the way! Get out, you bloody fool, and get out fast while there’s still time!”

He’d not have listened, though. Even as I watched I saw a tiny figure with hand raised, and a moment later the faint call of “Forward-o!” and they were coming on along the bluffs, and wheeling down into the coulee, and beyond the bluffs to their left was a sputter of shooting, and down the steep came a handful of Sioux at the run, and after them a party of Ree scouts, little puffs of smoke jetting after the fugitives. There were yells of alarm from far up the river, closer than the distant popping of the first fight, which had faded into the distance.

A bugle sounded on the bluffs, and the first troop was coming down the coulee – greys, and I thought I could make out Smith at their head. Had lunch with your wife and Libby Custer on the Far West recently, was the ridiculous thought that went through my mind. And behind them there came a sorrel troop – why, that would be Tom Custer, who’d wept at that ghastly play in New York. And there, by God, at the head of the column, was the great man himself; I could see the flash of the red scarf on his breast – and I almost burst my gag, willing him to stop and turn, for he was doing a Cardigan if ever a man did, and he couldn’t see it. The clamour in the trees upstream was rising now; I thought I could hear pony hooves, and from the left, along the water’s edge, came a mounted brave, yelling in alarm, waving his rifle above his head, and after him two more – Cheyenne, as I live, all a-bristle with eagle feathers and white bars of paint.

The girl gasped beside me, and I turned to look at her, and she at me. And what I tell you is strictest true: I looked at her, with a question in my eyes – Flashy’s eyes, you know, and I put every ounce of noble mute appeal into ’em that I knew how, and that’s considerable. God knows I’d been looking at women all my life, ardent, loving, lustful, worshipful, respectful, mocking, charming, and gallant as gadfrey, and while I’ve had a few clips on the ear and knees in the crotch, more often than not it has worked. I looked at her now, giving her the full benefit, the sweet little soul – and like all the rest, she succumbed. As I say, it’s true, and here I am, and I can’t explain it – perhaps it’s the whiskers, or the six feet two and broad shoulders, or just my style. But she looked at me, and her lids lowered, and she glanced across the river where the troopers were riding down the coulee, and then back at me – this girl whose brother had been killed by my people only a few days back. I can’t describe the look in her eyes – frowning, reluctant, hesitant, almost resigned; she couldn’t help herself, you see, the dear child. Then she sighed, lifted the knife – and cut the thongs securing my hands to the yoke.

“Go on, then,” says she. “You poor old man.”

Goddammit, he's done it again! Not that he cares, but the why's a bit funny too.

Author's Note posted:

Walking Blanket Woman, the Oglala girl, fought at Little Bighorn. She rode in full war-dress, carrying the war-staff which her brother had borne on the Rosebud. (See Custer’s Fall, by David Humphreys Miller, 1957.)

quote:

Well, I couldn’t reply with my mouth full of gag, and by the time I’d torn it out she had gone, running off to the right with her hatchet and knife, God bless her. And I was cool enough to drain a bowl of water and chafe my wrists while I took in the lie of the land, because if I was to win across to Custer in safety it was going to be a damned near-run thing, and I must settle my plan in shaved seconds and then go bull at a gate.

To the right my girl was nearing the trees, and there were a few Indians in sight, but a hell of a lot more behind by the sound of it, no doubt streaming down from the first fight to give the boy general a welcome. Three Cheyenne had appeared from the left – and knowing them, I doubted if they’d be the only ones. By God, Custer had picked a rare spot to make his entry. The three Cheyenne were close to the bank, perhaps fifty yards away on my left front, arguing busily with a couple of Indians on foot; they were pointing up towards the ford and doubtless remarking that the pony-soldiers would shortly be crossing it and charging through the heart of the village. At that moment, out from between the tipis on my right came the old singer, leading a pony and yelling his head off.

“Go! Go, Lacotahs! See where the Long Knives come! The sun is on the hawk and the quarry! Hoo’hay! It’s a good day to die!”

If I’d been the Cheyenne I’d have spat in his eye – for one thing, they weren’t Lacotahs, and no doubt sensitive. But now was my moment. I looked across the river; the 7th were fairly pouring down the coulee, so far as I could see, for the farther they got down, the more they were obscured by the trees on the banks. The bugle was shrilling, shots were cracking on my side of the river, the three Cheyenne were apparently fed up with arguing, for they were skirting up towards the ford – and my ancient with his led pony was hobbling in their direction, shouting to the two dismounted chaps to take his steed and good luck, boys. I took a deep breath and ran.

The old fool never knew I was there until I was on the pony’s back. It might have been ten seconds, probably less, but time for me to realise that I was in such poor trim, what with my ordeal, aching limbs, too much tuck, booze, and cigars, and general evil living, that if he and I had run a race, the old bugger would have won, by yards. But he was looking ahead, yelling:

“Here! Calf, Bobtail Horse! Mad Wolf! Here’s a pony! Climb aboard, one of you fellows, and smite the white-faces, and my blessing go with you!” Or words to that effect.

I hauled myself on to the beast, grabbed the mane, and dug in my heels. I know people were running somewhere to my right, the Cheyenne were trotting purposefully towards the ford, shots were flying all along the river banks – and dead ahead of me, under the cottonwoods, was the ford leading to the coulee. Behind me the dotard was yelling:

“Go on, Lacotah! Here is a brave heart! See how he flies to meet the Long Knives!”

And off he flies on the back of hilarious misunderstanding.

quote:

Apparently under the impression that I was one of the lads. The three Cheyenne were moving well, too – four of us going hell-for-leather, more or less in line abreast, three in paint and feathers, waving lances and guns, and one in white tie and tails, somewhat out of crease. Possibly they, too, thought that I belonged to the elect, for they didn’t so much as spare me a glance as we converged on the ford.

They were three good men, those – again I speak objectively – for they were going bald-headed against half a regiment, and they knew it. If the Indians put up statues, I reckon those three Cheyenne would be prime candidates, for if anyone turned the tide of Greasy Grass, they did. Mind you, I’m not saying that if Custer had got across the ford, he’d have had the battle won; I doubt it myself. He’d have got cut up either side, I reckon. But the first nails in his coffin were Roan Horse, Calf, and Bobtail Horse – and possibly my humble self – for it was our appearance at the ford, I think, that checked his advance. I don’t know – except that when my pony hit the shallows, with the three Cheyenne close behind, I lifted up mine eyes to the hills and saw to my amazement that the troopers in the coulee were dismounting and letting fly with their carbines. Whether the three Cheyenne stopped or came on, I don’t know, for I wasn’t looking; there were shots buzzing like bees overhead as I scrambled up the bank – and not twenty yards away a Ree scout and a trooper were covering me with their carbines, and I was bawling:

“Don’t shoot! It’s me! I’m white! Hold your fire!”

One did, t’other didn’t, but he missed, thank God, and I was careering over the flat to the mouth of the coulee, hands raised and holding on with my aching knees, yelling to them not to shoot for any favour, and a knot of bewildered men were standing at gaze. There was E Troop’s guidon, and as I half-fell from my pony, there was Custer himself, all red scarf and campaign hat, carbine in hand.

Well, he got where he was going, let's see how it leaves him.

Oh, and as for the three other Cheyenne:

Author's Note posted:

This passage substantiates one of the most cherished traditions of Little Bighorn: that four Cheyenne warriors – Bobtail Horse, Calf, Roan Horse, and one unidentified brave – advanced to the river alone to oppose Custer’s five troops. Some versions say they took cover behind a ridge, and were joined by a party of Sioux, who helped them to check Custer’s advance by rifle fire. One theory is that Custer, unable to believe that four men would ride out against him unsupported, halted and dismounted because he expected a large force to be following the four. It is fairly certain that Custer did halt and dismount, for whatever reason, and there are those who believe that if he had continued to advance he would have won across the ford and possibly overrun the village before Crazy Horse and Gall, who had been fighting Reno upstream, had regrouped. Again, some versions have Custer actually reaching the river before being forced back; one belief is that he himself was killed there. These are matters of controversy; the one thing that now appears to have been settled is the identity of the fourth mysterious Cheyenne.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

For a second he stared speechless, as well he might; then he said “Good God!” quite distinctly, and I replied at the top of my voice:

“Get out of it! Get out – now! Up to the top and ride for it!”

Somehow he found his tongue, and as God’s my witness the next thing he said was: “You’re wearing evening clothes!” and looked beyond me across the river, doubtless to see if other dinner guests were arriving. “How in—”

I seized him by the arm, preparing to yell some more until common sense told me that calm would serve better.

“George,” says I, “you must get out quickly, you know. Now! Mount ’em up and retire, as fast as you can! Back up this draw and on to the bluffs—”

“What d’you mean?” cries he. “Retire? And where in creation have you come from? How the deuce—”

“Doesn’t matter! I tell you, get this command away from here or you’re all dead men! Look, George, there are more Indians than you’ve ever seen over yonder; they’re beating the tar out of someone upriver, and they’ll do the same for you if you stay here!”

“Why, that’s Reno!” cries he. “Have you seen him?”

“No, for Christ’s sake! I haven’t been within a mile of him, but it’s my belief he’s beat! George, listen to me! You must get out now!”

Tom Custer was at my elbow. “How many hostiles over yonder?” snaps he.

“Thousands! Sioux, Cheyenne, God knows how many! Lord above, man, can’t you see the size of the village?” And in fury I turned to look – sure enough, they were swarming up to the ford from both directions, mounted Cheyenne among the trees downriver, now hidden, now in sight, like trout darting through weed, but coming by hundreds, and from the trees upstream a steady rattle of musketry was coming; balls were whizzing overhead and whining up the coulee; there were shouts of command to open fire coming from above us.

“Mount!” roars Custer. “Smith – E Troop! Prepare to advance! Tom, with your troop, sir!” He turned to bellow up the coulee. “Captain Yates, we’re going across! Bugler, sound!” He swung himself into his saddle, and behind was the creak and jingle and shouting as the troopers took their beasts from the holders, and a scout appeared at Custer’s side, pointing across the river.

“He’s right, Colonel! Didn’t I say – we go in there, we don’t come out!”

Always depressing when the sensible are drowned out or overruled.

quote:

It must have been obvious to anyone who wasn’t stark mad. But Custer was red in the face and roaring; he swung his hat and yelled at me.

“Come on, Flash! Forward the Light Brigade, hey? Didn’t I know you’d be in at the death?”

“Whose bloody death, you infernal idiot?” I yelled back, and grabbed at his leg. “George, for God’s sake—”

“What are you about, sir?” cries he angrily. “I’ll—” And at that moment he jerked back in his saddle, and I saw the splash of crimson on his sleeve even as his horse surged past me. He didn’t tumble – he was too good a horseman for that – but he reined in, and at that moment one of the Ree scouts close by spun round and fell, blood spouting from his neck. Shots were kicking up the dust all about us, a horse screamed and went down, thrashing – by George, that had been a regular volley, at least thirty rifles together, which you don’t expect from savages; across the river a perfect mob of them was closing on the ford, halting to bring up their pieces and bows for another fusilade, a scarlet-clad figure ahead of them, arms raised, to give the word. I flung myself flat as shots and arrows whizzed past, and came up to see Custer standing in his stirrups, blood running over his right hand.

“F Troop! Covering fire! Tom! Smith! Move out with your troops!” Thank God he’d seen sense; he was pointing up the hillside, away from the bluffs. “Retire out of range! Bugler, up to Captain Keogh, and I’ll be obliged if he and Mr Calhoun will hold the crest yonder – you see it, on the top, there? – with their troops! Go!” He urged his beast up the coulee. “Yates, sweep that bank yonder!” He pointed across the water, but already Yates’s troop was blazing away, and Smith and Tom Custer were urging their men over the northern bank of the coulee, upwards towards the Greasy Grass slope that lay between the crest and the river. I was among them, clawing my way up the coulee side on to the rough hilly ground in the middle of a hastening crowd of troopers, a few mounted, but mostly leading their beasts. I swung myself aboard one of the led ponies, arguing blasphemously with its owner as we jogged over the hillside; shots were still buzzing past, and here was another draw across our front over which we scrambled. Drawing rein as the bugle blared again, I had a moment to collect myself and look round.

A bare hundred yards away, at the foot of the slope, the trees were alive with hostiles, firing raggedly up at us. There were three troops on the slope round about where I was; when I looked up the hill, there were I and L Troops skirmishing out in good order. Custer was sliding down from his pony, using one hand and his teeth to tie a handkerchief round his grazed wrist; I ran to him and jerked the ends tight.

“Good man!” he gasped, and looked about. I don’t know if he saw what I already knew, although it was too late now. Take a squint at my map and you’ll see it. He’d come the wrong way.

I ain’t being clever, but if he’d done what I’d told him he might have saved most of his command – by withdrawing straight up Medicine Tail Coulee and making a stand on the high bluffs, where five troops could have held off an army. Or, if he’d retired flat out, Calhoun and Keogh could certainly have saved their troops. By coming across to the Greasy Grass slope he’d put his command out in the open, where the redskins could skirmish up over good broken ground and our only hope was to achieve the hill at the far end of the crest and make good a position there. And we might have done it, too, if that red-jacketed bastard Gall hadn’t been an Indian in a million – that is, an Indian with an eye for ground like Wellington. The little swine saw at once how we’d blundered, and exactly what he must do.

Not that Flash knew Wellington well but he shook the man's hand.

quote:

It’s a simple, tactical thing, and for those of you who ain’t sure what turning a flank means, it’s a fair example. See on the map – we had to make for the hill marked X, with half the Sioux nation coming up from the ford at our heels. If they’d simply pursued us straight, we’d likely have reached it, but Gall saw that the crest between the bluffs and the hill was all-important, and as soon as we were out on the Greasy Grass slope he had his warriors pouring up the second coulee in droves, nicely under cover until they could get high enough up to emerge all along the line of the second coulee, especially at the crest itself, where they could hit at I and L troops, and be well above Custer’s three other troops making for the hill. Smart Indian, fighting the white man in the white man’s way, and with overwhelming strength to make a go of it. In the meantime his skirmishers coming up on us from the river were pressing us too hard to give Custer time to regroup for any kind of counter-stroke. He couldn’t charge downhill, for even if he’d scattered our pursuers he’d have been stopped by the river with Keogh’s folk stranded; all he could do was retire to the hill with Keogh falling back the same way.

Our fellows were all dismounted, in three main groups across the slope, leading their horses and firing down at the Indians, who were swarming up through the folds and gullies, blazing away as they came. Curiously, I don’t think we’d lost many men yet, but now troopers began to fall as the slugs and arrows came whistling out of the blue. And I saw the first example of something that was to happen horrid frequent on that slope in the next fifteen minutes – a trooper kneeling with his reins over his arm, raving obscenely as he dug frenziedly with his knife at a spent case jammed in his carbine. That’s what happens: some factory expert don’t test a weapon properly, and you pay for it out on the hill when the rim shears off and your gun’s useless.

“Tell Smith to close up with E Troop!” yells Custer, and I saw the hostiles were up with Smith fifty yards below us in a murderous struggle of pistols and lances, hatchets and carbine butts. To our own front they were surging up, ducking and firing, and we were retreating, firing back; I stumbled over a little gully through a clump of thistles, fell on my face – heard the rattle within a foot of my ear, and there was a snake gliding under my nose into the dusty grass; I never even thought about him.

“Give me a gun, for pity’s sake!” I yelped, and Custer flung away his jammed carbine and threw me one of his Bulldog repeaters while he drew the other for himself. Christ, they were a bare ten yards off, shrieking painted faces and feathered heads racing towards me; I fired and one fell sprawling at my feet, guns were blasting all about me, Custer (he was cool, say that for him) was firing with one hand while with his wounded one he was thrusting a packet of cartridges at me. I saw the lens of his field-glasses splinter as a shot hit them; there were a dozen of us clawing our way backwards up out of a gully, firing frantically at the red mob pouring down the other bank. We broke and ran, in a confusion of yelling swearing men and rearing horses; below on the slope a body of kneeling troopers with their sorrels behind them – Tom Custer’s people – were firing revolver volleys at our pursuers, and behind me as I flew were shrieks of agony blending with the war-whoops.

Author's Note posted:

Flashman’s map of Little Bighorn is erratic in details – the course of the river, and the placing of the various tribal camp circles – but agrees with most authorities in showing Custer’s advance along the bluffs, down Medicine Tail Coulee to a point near the ford, and then north up the Greasy Grass slope in an attempt to reach the hill marked X, where the remnants of his force were caught between the Indian charge from Gall’s Gully and the encircling movement of Crazy Horse’s cavalry. The underlined names (e.g. CUSTER) show where the various troops died with their commanders.

A very rare visual aid from within the book itself, and almost unneeded considering the skillful description. Flash would also explain an elaborate flanking maneuver in Mountain of Light, but that was done by a badly outnumbered force instead of to one.

quote:

“Steady!” roars Custer. There he was, shoving rounds into his Bulldog and firing coolly, picking his men while the arrows whizzed round him. “Fall back in order! Close on C Troop!” Beside him a trooper with the guidon staggered, an arrow between his shoulders; Custer wrenched the staff from him and plunged uphill; I scrambled up beside him, swearing pathetically as I fumbled shells into my revolver – and for a moment the firing died, and Yates was beside me, yelling something I couldn’t hear as I staggered to my feet.

We were in a long gully running from the hill-top to the trees far down by the river. The slopes below me were littered with bodies – the blue of troopers among the Indians, and lower still Indian attackers were bounding up the gully sides. The remnant of Smith’s troop was reeling up the gully, turning and firing, loose horses among them, redskins racing in to grapple at close quarters. I heard the hideous “Hoon! Hoon!” as the clubs and hatchets swung and the knives went home, and the crash of Army pistols firing point-blank. Around me were what was left of Yates’s troop, staggering figures streaked with dust and blood; just down the slope Tom Custer’s fellows were at grips with a horde of painted, shrieking braves, slashing and clubbing at each other hand to hand. I struggled out of the gully; in its bed a trooper was lying, screaming and plucking feebly at a lance buried in his side, two Indians dead beside him and a third still kicking. I looked back across the gully – and saw the final Death bearing down upon us.

Across the upper slopes of the Greasy Grass they came, hundreds of running, painted figures, and on a pony among them that crimson leader, waving them on for the kill. Tom Custer’s tattered remnant was breaking clear of a tangled mêlée of blue-shirted and red half-naked fighters who still hacked and stabbed and shot at each other; somewhere on the crest I knew Keogh’s people must be struggling with the right wing of that Indian charge sweeping across the slope. In less than a minute they would be on us; I turned sobbing to run for the hill-top, a bare hundred yards away – and even in that moment it crossed my mind: we’ve come a long way damned fast, for I’d no notion it was so close. We must have retreated a good mile from the ford where I’d ridden across with the Cheyenne just a moment ago.

Custer was on his feet, reloading, looking this way and that; his hat was gone, his hand was caked with dried blood. There were about forty troopers round him, firing past me down the hill. As I came up to them an arrow-shower fell among us; there were screams and groans and raging blasphemy; Yates was on the ground, trying to staunch blood pumping from a wound in his thigh – artery gone, I saw. Custer bent over him.

“I’m sorry, old fellow,” I heard him say. “I’m sorry. God bless all of you, and have you in His keeping.”

There was a slow moment – one of those which you get in terrible times, as at the Balaclava battery, when everything seemed to happen at slow march, and the details are as clear and inevitable as day. Even the shots seemed slower and far-off. I saw Yates fall back, and put up a hand to his eyes like a man who’s tired and ready for bed; Custer straightened up, breathing noisily, and cocked his Bulldog, and I thought, you don’t need to do that, it’s British-made and fires at one pressure; a trooper was crying out: “Oh, no, no, no, it’s a damned shame!” and the F Troop guidon fell over on a wounded sergeant, and he pawed at it, wondering what it was, and frowned, and tried to push its butt into the ground. On the crest behind them I saw a sudden tumult of movement, and thought, ah yes, those are mounted Sioux – by Jove, there are plenty of them, and tearing down like those Russians at Campbell’s Highlanders. Lot of warbonnets and lance-heads, and how hot the sun is, and me with no hat. Elspeth would have sent me indoors for one. Elspeth …

'In at the death.'

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

“Hoo’hay, Lacotah! It’s a good day to die! Kye-ee-kye!”

“You bloody liars!” I screamed, and all was fast and furious again, with a hellish din of drumming hooves and screams and war-whoops and shots crashing like a dozen Gatlings all together, the mounted horde charging on one side, and as I wheeled to flee, the solid mass of red devils on foot racing in like mad things, clubs and knives raised, and before I knew it they were among us, and I went down in an inferno of dust and stamping feet and slashing weapons, with stinking bodies on top of me, and my right hand pumping the Bulldog trigger while I gibbered in expectation of the agony of my death-stroke. A moccasined foot smashed into my ribs, I rolled away and fired at a painted face – and it vanished, but whether I hit it or not God knows, for directly behind it Custer was falling, on hands and knees, and whether I’d hit him, God knows again. He rocked back on his heels, blood coming out of his mouth, and toppled over, and I scrambled up and away, cannoning into a red body, hurling my empty Bulldog at a leaping Indian and closing with him; he had a sabre, of all things, and I closed my teeth in his wrist and heard him shriek as I got my hand on the hilt, and began laying about me blindly. Indians and troopers were struggling all around me, a lance brushed before my face, I was aware of a rearing horse and its Indian rider grabbing for his club; I slashed him across the thigh and he pitched screaming from the saddle; I hurled myself at the beast’s head and was dragged through the mass of yelling, stabbing, struggling men. Two clear yards and I hauled myself across its back, righting myself as an Indian stumbled under its hooves, and then I was urging the pony up and away from that horror, over grassy ground that was carpeted with still and writhing bodies, and beyond it little knots of men fighting, soldiers with clubbed carbines being overwhelmed by waves of Sioux – but there was a guidon, and a little cluster of blue shirts that still fired steadily. I rode for them roaring for help, and they scrambled aside to let me through, and I tumbled out of the saddle into Keogh’s arms.

“Where’s the General?” he yelled, and I could only shake my head and point dumbly towards the carnage behind me – but it wasn’t visible, and I saw that somehow I’d ridden over the crest, on the far side from the river, and the crest itself was alive with Indians firing at us, rushing closer and firing again. Keogh yelled above the din:

“Sergeant Butler!” A ragged blue figure was beside him, gold chevrons smeared with blood and dust. “Ride out! See if you can find Major Reno! Tell him we’re hemmed in and the General’s dead!”

Author's note posted:

This clarifies, if it does not settle, one of the controversies of Little Bighorn – where and how Custer himself died. Indian accounts of his death have been so varied as to be almost useless; he has been killed by many different hands, in several places, including the ford at the very start of the battle. If that were true, then his body must have been carried almost a mile to where it was found on the site of the “Last Stand” on the slope below the present Monument, which seems highly unlikely. Flashman’s account suggests that he died on the spot where his body was found, and indeed where the greatest concentration of 7th Cavalry appear to have been killed in the final desperate struggle, with the remnants of Yates’s, Tom Custer’s, and Smith’s three troops scattered down the north side of the long gully below. It is worth noting, though, that Flashman’s recollections are (not unreasonably) somewhat confused; in what he calls the “slow moment” he saw Yates and Custer together; in the hand-to-hand combat that followed, the fight must have surged some distance uphill to the point where Custer died, since Custer’s body and Yates’s were found about three hundred yards apart. One point at least may be regarded as settled; however he died, Custer did not commit suicide.

A rare loss for words.

quote:

He shoved hard at Butler, who turned and slapped the neck of a bay horse that was lying among the troopers; it came up, whinnying, at his touch, and as Butler grabbed the reins he came face to face with me, and he must have seen me at Fort Lincoln, for he said:

“’Allo then, Colonel! Long way from ’Orse Guards, ain’t we, though?” Then he was up and away, head down, going hell for leather at the advancing Sioux, and thinks I, by God, it’s that or nothing, and scrambled on my own beast as the red tide flooded in amongst us. It was like Scarlett’s charge, a mass of men close-packed, contorted faces, white and red, all about me, carrying me and the horse whether we would or no, and there was no time to think or do anything but swing my sabre at every eagle feather in sight, screaming wildly as the mass of men disintegrated and I dug in my heels and went in blind panic. As I fled I lifted my head and gazed on such a scene as even I can hardly match from all my memories of bloody catastrophe.

Until this moment, you’ll agree, I’d had little time for careful thought or action. From the moment I’d crossed the ford and tried to reason with Custer, it had been one shot-torn nightmare of struggle up the slope away from those hordes of red fiends, followed by the chaos when our retreat had been caught in the death-grip between Gall’s charge and the mounted assault (led, I’m told, by Crazy Horse in person) over the very hill to which we’d been struggling for safety. Now, with Keogh’s troop being engulfed behind me, I was recrossing the crest overlooking the whole Greasy Grass slope to the river at its foot; I wasn’t there above an instant, but I’ll never forget it.

Below me the hillside was covered with dead and dying, and with little clusters where shots still rang out – a few desperate wretches taking as many Sioux with them as they could. There were hundreds of figures running, riding, and some just walking, across the slope, and they were all Indians. Most of them were hurrying across my front to the struggle still boiling just below the hilltop where Custer’s group were dying. There may have been a score of them, I can’t tell, standing and lying and sprawling in a disordered mass, the pistols and carbines cracking while the mounted wave of war-bonnets and eagle feathers rode round and through and over them, the clubs and lances rising and falling to the yells of “Hoon! Hoon!” while Gall’s footmen grappled and stabbed and scalped at close quarters. There was no guidon flying, no ring of blue shoulder to shoulder, no buckskin figure with flowing locks and sabre (he was one of the still forms in that crawling mêlée); no, there was just a great hideous scrimmage of bodies, like a Big Side maul when the ball’s well hidden – only here it was not “Off your side!” but “Hoon!” and the crash of shots and flash of steel. That was how the 7th Cavalry ended. Bayete 7th Cavalry.

Elsewhere it was already over. Far down to my left a mob of Indians were shooting and stabbing and mutilating over a long cluster of blue forms – that would be Calhoun’s troop. Straight ahead below me, to the right of the long gully, the cavalry dead lay thick where Yates and Tom Custer and Smith had died with their troops – but far down there was still a group mounted on sorrels, and I could see the puffs of smoke from their pistols.

Author's Note posted:

Sergeant Butler’s body was discovered, alone and surrounded by spent cartridges, more than a mile from his own troop’s last stand. This has been one of the mysteries of Little Bighorn. The explanation that he had been despatched, when all was obviously lost, to carry word of the disaster if not to get help, is one that must have occurred even without Flashman’s corroboration. Butler was, after all, a trusted and experienced soldier, and no one in the regiment would have been more likely to win through, a point acknowledged by the Sioux themselves. Sitting Bull, Gall, and many others paid tribute to the courage with which the 7th Cavalry fought its last action, and singled out some for special mention, but above all the rest they praised “the soldier with braid on his arms” as the bravest man at Greasy Grass.

Fraser seems to regularly give the men at the action the more favourable death that they may have suffered according to best historical guesses.

quote:

All this I took in during one long horrified second – it couldn’t have been longer or I wouldn’t be here. I doubt if I even checked stride, for one glance behind showed a dozen mounted braves and a score running, and they all had Flashy in their sights. To the left and below the slope was thick with the bloodthirsty bastards – all you can do is see where the enemy are thinnest and go like hell. I swerved right in full career, for there was a break of perhaps ten yards in the mob surging up to join in the massacre of Custer’s party. I went for it, sabre aloft, bawling: “I surrender! Don’t shoot! I’m not an American! I’m British! Christ, I ain’t even in uniform, blast you!”, and if anyone had shown the least inclination to say: “Hold on, Lacotahs! Let’s hear what he has to say”, I might have checked and hoped. But all I got was a whizzing of arrows and balls as I tore through the gap, rode down two braves who sprang to bar my path, cut at and missed a mounted fellow with a club, and then I was thundering down the right side of the gully towards the group on their sorrels – and they weren’t there! Nothing but bloody Indians hacking and stabbing and snatching at riderless beasts. I tried to swerve, aware of a mounted lancer coming up on my flank, a painted face beneath a buffalo helmet; he veered in behind me, I screamed as in imagination I felt the steel piercing my back, hands were clutching at my legs, painted faces leaping at my pony’s head, my sabre was gone, an arrow zipped across the front of my coat, something caught the pony a blow near my right knee – and then I was through the press, only a few Indians running across my front, when an arrow struck with a sickening thud into the pony’s neck. As it reared I went headlong, rolling down a little gully side and fetching up against a dead cavalryman with his body torn open, half-disembowelled.

I lay sprawled on my back as two of those screaming brutes came leaping over the bank. They collided with each other and went down, and behind them the buffalo-cap lancer was sliding from his saddle, jumping over the other two, swinging up his hatchet. His left hand was at my throat, the frightful painted face was screaming a foot from mine. “Hoon!” he yelled, and his hatchet flashed down.

Author's note posted:

Flashman’s ride clean across the battlefield, from the point where Keogh’s troop fell until he must have been close to the river, might seem improbable if it were not corroborated by an unimpeachable source of which Flashman himself was probably never aware. In a magazine article published in 1898, the Cheyenne chief Two Moon, who played a leading part in the battle, and is regarded as one of the most reliable Indian witnesses, had this to say of the final moments of the struggle:

“One man rides up and down the line – all the time shouting. He rode a sorrel horse … I don’t know who he was. He was a very brave man … (a) bunch of men, maybe some forty, started towards the river. The man on the sorrel horse led them, shouting all the time. He wore buckskin shirt and had long black hair and moustache. He fought hard with a big knife …”

Except for the buckskin shirt (and Two Moon admits that the soldiers were white with dust, which might easily have misled him) this description fits Flashman exactly, even to the sound effects. And historians have been at a loss to identify the black-moustached rider until now, since his appearance does not tally with that of any known officer of the 7th. One theory is that he was a scout, and De Land considers the possibility that it was Boyer, but dismisses it on the ground that Boyer was clean-shaven. It is also worth noting Two Moon’s statement that the man “fought hard with a big knife”, by which he probably meant a sabre (the chief Gall also confirmed that one of the white men definitely used a sabre). Since the 7th Cavalry carried no sabres in the battle, but we know that at least one Sioux warrior did (having captured it from Crook’s forces on the Rosebud), and since Flashman describes how he took a sabre from a Sioux, it seems safe to say that the identity of the mysterious rider with the black moustache has at last been established. As to the only other inconsistency between the versions of Flashman and Two Moon – that the moustached rider was at the head of a bunch of fugitives – nothing in Flashman’s writing has ever suggested that, in the heat of flight, he paid much attention to any other unfortunates behind him.

All over but the clatter.

Let's bring this chapter to an end... next time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

quote:

...for directly behind it Custer was falling, on hands and knees, and whether I’d hit him, God knows again.

Goddamnit Flashy.