Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Same. It's a hell of a temptation, as the story is only now really getting started. But the historic context and background is very well done. I appreciate it very much Beefeater1980.

Also, I want to pick up something you mentioned earlier about Flashman having some surprising sparks of intelligence. I think Flashman isn't so much stupid as he is lazy and careless. I notice this more in the beginning of the stories when he makes some tremendously boneheaded mistakes. They come from him only putting effort into anything that would help him have fun or give him some kind of advantage. He just doesn't think unless he wants to. And soon enough, we'll see him apply his intellect to another subject he's very interested in; saving his sad, sorry skin. Even then, it seems to me that he's always taking the easiest way out.

Overall, I think laziness is Flashman's most overlooked vice. It probably comes from this being an adventure series. There's not much room to show that sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

mllaneza posted:

That's great writing in many ways, but hoo boy is our man Flashy a poo poo.

Yep. This part really defines Harry Flashman in a lot of ways that Fraser really didn't have the stomach for in further books. Except maybe Flash for Freedom

Beefeater 1980 kind of glided over Flashman's rape of Narreeman. Understandably. In Flashman's reflections on the rape he talks more about how the mechanics of forcing himself on Narreeeman were inconvenient and unpleasant. He disliked it for the most selfish reason possible. It's a lot harder to get your rocks off when you are loving someone fighting back. And he did it anyway out of sheer bloody-minded bullying. Saying he disliked raping Narreeman because she got in the way of giving him pleasure is the closest Flashman comes to expressing a regret in the entire book. He's an almost unadulterated hedonist.

He also wonders about his bravery in stabbing an enemy in the back rather than running away. There's a lot of complicated musings about courage in these books. Fair enough, it's a complicated subject. But rest assured. Flashman only struggles between saving his skin in the short term vs. the long term.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
There was a surprisingly good screen adaptation of Royal Flash.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Flash_(film)

I liked this quote from the director.

Richard Lester posted:

that equivocal anti hero wasn't easy to take. They wanted a real hero, a hero that was a bounder as well as a hero. And Malcolm McDowell was absolutely 100% bounder - the sleaze was coming through to the film.

And it had one of the best closing scenes of any movie I've watched.