Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
You're already reading loving manga and web novels and are thus literally the second lowest form of human life on the planet after chilly mo's. So why throw temper-tantrums over stupid fictional poo poo!

This is the thread for all Isekai discussion. Do you get off on sick slavery isekais? Thats cool post em here I don't judge. Are you like me and enjoy double plus ungood obvious power fantasies that are stupid as poo poo like Cellphone Isekai? OK! No problemo, post it up bitch! War crimes? Totally kosher! I've never ever heard of the breast (feeding) isekai other than mentions in that other thread but I'm fine with that, even.

I only ask that you don't post anything that goes against any forum rules, don't be more creepy than usual, and stay off each others' backs as much as possible. But even if you don't do what I ask, I won't be shutting down this thread. I'm not a mod thank christ and I'm not your mother. I will not be doing any mod job in here.

Everyone already knows what all the good and bad isekai are from the other thread so I feel no need to link any in this post. I will reconsider this if this thread picks up traction and I start noticing new blood.

EDIT: Other thread is reopened now so please go there if you want to talk about good and wholesome isekais there. TRASH ONLY PLZ!

Nathilus fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Nathilus posted:

You're already reading loving manga and web novels and are thus literally the second lowest form of human life on the planet after chilly mo's. So why throw temper-tantrums over stupid fictional poo poo!

i think you'd be happier if you weren't so self hating about your nerd hobbies :)

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Is anyone else looking forward to Fire Emblem Three Houses? I've decided I'm going to marry Leonie.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

littleorv posted:

Is anyone else looking forward to Fire Emblem Three Houses? I've decided I'm going to marry Leonie.

that's not isekai it's just fantasy, like goblin slayer

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

DisDisDis posted:

i think you'd be happier if you weren't so self hating about your nerd hobbies :)

I'm actually utterly shameless online at least, thus the existence of this thread. I love all that stupid poo poo that the rest of the internet hates. Dragon Maid, Cellphone Isekai as mentioned, etc. It's fine to be lighthearted about one's silly hobbies imo!

I'm not much into Shield Hero though. I find it more depressing than anything, and I made it like 20 eps into the anime.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

DisDisDis posted:

that's not isekai it's just fantasy, like goblin slayer

Since I'm making such a big show of not giving a gently caress, let's say Isekai-adjacent stuff is fine here too. Dungeon Meshi and Goblin Slayer and all that sort of thing. It's fine, no skin off my rear end! If it has people adventuring around in fantasy worlds, it's close enough for me if I squint. A lot of Isekais aren't very isekaiey in the first place.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Welp, shinju no Nectar turned out about as well as I had anticipated. Shame because despite the fetish factor it's honestly a good story, not without flaws but certainly something that stands above the the majority of the genre.

Nathilus posted:

Since I'm making such a big show of not giving a gently caress, let's say Isekai-adjacent stuff is fine here too. Dungeon Meshi and Goblin Slayer and all that sort of thing. It's fine, no skin off my rear end! If it has people adventuring around in fantasy worlds, it's close enough for me if I squint. A lot of Isekais aren't very isekaiey in the first place.
I wish fantasy wasn't the default. It's not like Sci-fi hasn't been used in the past like in Noeinn, Now and Then Here and There, or Digimon. But science fiction and "other worlds" seems to occupy the VRRMO niche and the scattered few stories that use science at all go the Mecha + Magic route of science fantasy.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I like konosuba, OP

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Am I in the right thread

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
is this the muvluv alternative thread

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Brought To You By posted:

I wish fantasy wasn't the default. It's not like Sci-fi hasn't been used in the past like in Noeinn, Now and Then Here and There, or Digimon. But science fiction and "other worlds" seems to occupy the VRRMO niche and the scattered few stories that use science at all go the Mecha + Magic route of science fantasy.

I like Knight's and Magic, one of the few mecha + magic ones you mentioned. But yeah, I agree that more straight sci-fi stuff would be good.

It's not anime or manga but Farscape is sorta sci-fi isekai. The main character spends the first few seasons getting made fun of by everyone else for not knowing how to open doors and the like. It also has a really good bdsm guy villain.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

Welp, shinju no Nectar turned out about as well as I had anticipated. Shame because despite the fetish factor it's honestly a good story, not without flaws but certainly something that stands above the the majority of the genre.

Is that the name of the adult breastfeeding isekai I heard people were talking about an adult breastfeeding isekai and those words in that order made me laugh so hard I almost got out of bed today

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
anyway ill laugh harder if "nectar" is in the name lol

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Bakanogami posted:

Am I in the right thread

RangerKarl posted:

is this the muvluv alternative thread

Maybe? I don't know anything about either of these. OH NO GUESS I GOTTA CLOSE THE THREAD! :lol:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Like, stargate exists but when Japan tried to copy that we got GATE and that trainwreck is still smoldering. Sliders is a thing and I know people would love to jump on an episodic story about going to different places because Kino's Journey was so well received. I guess technically Star Trek in most of it's incarnations count as going to different worlds so long as isekai doesn't exclusively refer to alternate universes and even then Star Trek has that covered.

Just build a space ship or hop on a transporter pad and have fun with phazers, Beam Swords, and Orks instead of Bows, Short Swords, and Orcs. :shrug:

DisDisDis posted:

Is that the name of the adult breastfeeding isekai I heard people were talking about an adult breastfeeding isekai and those words in that order made me laugh so hard I almost got out of bed today
There is in fact an adult breastfeeding isekai wherein the main character is summoned to another world, after much tragedy becomes Char, and in order to unlock his latent superpowers he must partake in the bosoms of an assortment of characters. Yes it's by the Seikon no Qwaser guys, how did you know?

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I'll buy that. Isekais don't absolutely REQUIRE reincarnation, cuz some of them are just about some random dude playing a vrmmo. Like that one substandard version of only sense online with the archer dude.

I wouldn't count stargate though since so much of the series is bound up in our own planet's history.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

DisDisDis posted:

Is that the name of the adult breastfeeding isekai I heard people were talking about an adult breastfeeding isekai
awesome

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
back in the day, multiple cds i burned had the .hack//sign op song

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Harry Potter is effectively an isekai prove me wrong

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Nathilus posted:

Maybe? I don't know anything about either of these. OH NO GUESS I GOTTA CLOSE THE THREAD! :lol:

I jest, MLA is actually a PTSD generator.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

RangerKarl posted:

I tried getting to it once but couldn't hang while tryin to get through the original.

Bakanogami posted:

Harry Potter is effectively an isekai prove me wrong

It hits all the major points, that's for sure.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I voted for technology, because the way it's done is usually dumb.

But given the pesudo-15th-century-Europe setting that most of this genre seems to default to, I'd imagine most people probably could invent a couple of things. It wuldn't be too hard to rig up some basic electrical tricks, for instance

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

RangerKarl posted:

I know that when Total Eclipse came out and people were hopeful that it wasn't going to turn into an average LN adaptation they made this statement in the OP (at that time I was debating whether to create an account or not; holy poo poo it's been 7 years), thinking it'd be a joke statement or something... then I proceeded to play the game and holy smokes is it ever true.

It's like when people have trouble getting through Dirt by Alice in Chains due to the fact that, even after 27 years of being out, it's a record that can make you hella uncomfortable due to its subject matter.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Dzhay posted:

I voted for technology, because the way it's done is usually dumb.

But given the pesudo-15th-century-Europe setting that most of this genre seems to default to, I'd imagine most people probably could invent a couple of things. It wuldn't be too hard to rig up some basic electrical tricks, for instance

The one that I've spotted in several series recently that annoyed me was a simple water pump. They always come out looking perfectly like water pumps from a few centuries ago.

Like, ok. Even I know the basics to get one of those into working order. Suction plus leverage. But it would probably take me time and repeated failures to get it all figured out and the final product wouldn't look pretty.

Go ahead. I dare one of you to knock one together in a day or two. I hope you know something about metal smithing with primitive tools or can explain perfectly what needs to be done to your npc buddy craftsmen.

Another relatively simple one is gunpowder. Again, I know the basics. Charcoal, sulfur, and saltpeter. I hope you know how to get pure sulfur and saltpeter without modern technology. I actually do in stroke of blind luck, but I don't know the proper ratios or how to combine them then store the resulting product safely. I'd again need time and trial and error to do it, probably getting myself and/or some other people killed in the process.

The best I could hope for in a short period of time would be to explain basic concepts that don't require me to actually make poo poo. Germ theory, sanitation, and that sort of thing. But even then I would be working against social and cultural inertia and it's hugely iffy. Why are any of these people willing to listen to my dumb bullshit in the first place?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Doesn't/Didn't Drifters deal(t) with that part of making ammunition/gunpowder? I remember good-ol' Nobunaga being all gung-ho about firearms.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Doesn't/Didn't Drifters deal(t) with that part of making ammunition/gunpowder? I remember good-ol' Nobunaga being all gung-ho about firearms.

Making black powder is a major objective for him and procuring sulfur in addition to corpses is basically something he's always looking out for. Once he gets those it's just a matter of keeping people out of the area and mass producing guns with the recently liberated dwarves.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
is Xenogears an isekai

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Jackard posted:

is Xenogears an isekai

I'd say no as it is set in the far future of our own universe and doesn't involve any modern day humans that have been whisked there. If it is though, then so is the shannara series.

One of the major foundations of an isekai is that someone from what we think of as the modern, normal world goes off to a place that operates by a different set of rules.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Nathilus posted:

and doesn't involve any modern day humans that have been whisked there
*coughs* comes really close with the reincarnations

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Isn't there an isekai where a guy fucks his house

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
I know there's one where someone's reincarnated as a hot spring, which is the best pisstake I've ever seen.

I just want to say that the milkdrinker isekai is infuriating because the setting, outside of the fetishy bits is pretty cool. A world coming into the industrial age, empire on empire shenanigans, and actual fashion that isn't Dudes Wear Office Suit Blazers. If only I could actually read it on my phone in public...

RangerKarl fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 23, 2019

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Jackard posted:

*coughs* comes really close with the reincarnations

So does shannara sort of, but in both cases our modern world is so distant that memories of it have basically been lost. The key point lies in the juxtaposition of modern knowledge in a world with different rules, and the way in which the protagonist can play with that divide.

In xenogears, Not only are the reincarnated characters' originals still from our far future, but they don't even have the memories of their previous incarnations for most of the game. They belong in that world and don't possess any knowledge from outside of it unlike a classic isekai protagonist.

Xenoblade is clearly an isekai if you look at it from the perspective of the final boss, however.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

kirbysuperstar posted:

that's not an isekai(he doesn't, but boy if he could, you bet he would)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Captain Invictus posted:

that's not an isekai(he doesn't, but boy if he could, you bet he would)

No no, there's one where he literally fucks the anthropomorphic manifestation of his house (like, the spirit of the tree whose wood was used to build the house), who then gets pregnant and gives birth to baby houses nearby.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kirbysuperstar posted:

I think this one has some sort of house spirit in his harem? I only read the first couple chapters of the manga like a year ago so I forget.

And there are a ton where a guy fucks a dungeon. Or where the guy is a dungeon and fucks somebody. A dungeon is kind of like a house.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Clarste posted:

No no, there's one where he literally fucks the anthropomorphic manifestation of his house (like, the spirit of the tree whose wood was used to build the house), who then gets pregnant and gives birth to baby houses nearby.

I vaguely remember this. The house has house babies. I don't think he fucks it though, it absorbs mana or some bullshit. Farming Life In Another World iirc.

EDIT: Maybe it was the one linked above. Hard to keep all the isekais straight.

Nathilus fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jul 23, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Clarste posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dbJHppgrHc&hd=1&t=300s

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Clarste posted:

Yeeeep that was the one

e: child-bearing drywall

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 23, 2019

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Lol that "fucks a house" isn't a unique identifier. Almost tempted to read that just to find out what a house/human hybrid looks like.

Fake edit: a werehouse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

is isekai the most manchild genre cause of its wish fulfilment appeal