Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
there is also a third entire class isekai where the guy didn't register as having powers because he already had the power to kill anyone he thinks of before they got isekai'd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
in that isekai, the cheats transmigrators typically receive are a form of psychic malware that turns you into a horrible person

a few classmates miss out on this "super fun upgrade" due to having divine protection or something better

https://mangadex.org/title/24281/sokushi-cheat-ga-saikyou-sugite-isekai-no-yatsura-ga-marude-aite-ni-naranai-n-desu-ga

Jackard fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 17, 2019

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Captain Invictus posted:

this is powerful potential reader repellent

I feel responsible for the poo poo that gets posted in this thread, so I read this for science.

Diagnosis: its freaking bad. Not good-bad. Bad-bad.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Nathilus posted:

I feel responsible for the poo poo that gets posted in this thread, so I read this for science.

:stonkhat:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The isekai series, already a genre not known for handling social commentary well, predicated on rape and murder is bad

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Captain Invictus posted:

The isekai series, already a genre not known for handling social commentary well, predicated on rape and murder is bad

I can sometimes ironically enjoy a pretty dang bad manga. Alas, my powers failed me in this case.

Thankfully it wasnt too long and was over before the puke could start flowing.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Oh hey, new Shinju no Nectar Featuring enough full frontal nudity to honestly make me roll my eyes.
I am wary of pulling the Grey Enfield card here, no accounting for which of these upper class students have actually met the real deal through their families plus his disguise amounts to dying his hair and putting on a mask. Plus if they ask for any combat demonstrations Kai is up a creek because sucks.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jackard posted:

in that isekai, the cheats transmigrators typically receive are a form of psychic malware that turns you into a horrible person

a few classmates miss out on this "super fun upgrade" due to having divine protection or something better

https://mangadex.org/title/24281/sokushi-cheat-ga-saikyou-sugite-isekai-no-yatsura-ga-marude-aite-ni-naranai-n-desu-ga

Well, the only thing that could make One Punch Man more powerful is if he could just do it on sight, I guess.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Taking a Dump in a Fantasy World Toilet.

quote:

People are said to spend three years of their life on the toilet*.
Can you make the best of that time?
A Hero reincarnated into another world makes dragon scales into toilet seats and slimes into wet wipes as he journeys in search of a comfortable toilet...!

khy
Aug 15, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Well, the only thing that could make One Punch Man more powerful is if he could just do it on sight, I guess.

The protagonist of "Instant Death" doesn't even need sight. He does it through sensing hostility through slaves at one point.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

khy posted:

The protagonist of "Instant Death" doesn't even need sight. He does it through sensing hostility through slaves at one point.

What happened after was admittedly a neat scene. Killing a person who can create clones of herself that are distinct enough to be considered a separate entity by tracing back to the prime body and not any of the remote ones. Dude is absolutely broken and the reveal that he's some literal unnamed god is going to keep me reading this a few more chapters.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
His power is very specifically designed to be absolutely unbeatable with no weaknesses whatsoever, almost like an intellectual exercise.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Clarste posted:

His power is very specifically designed to be absolutely unbeatable with no weaknesses whatsoever, almost like an intellectual exercise.

It was my personal road to realizing just how broken he is that made it a fun exercise in-and-of-itself. He starts off just killing stuff regardless of level. Cool. Then he kills specific parts of a person which renders it completely unusable even if a new organ or appendage is regenerated. Then it went to him killing the undead because in his own words "I consider anything moving to be alive" so he just wastes zombies. Then he tracks down a guy through the empathic bond he has running through all the people under the influence of his domination ability, which makes sense killing intent has been the consistent trigger for the MC to notice people. But it was when someone who knew about the network and created a completely contained one shows up, uses an attack that doesn't have any intent in it, and is just testing the MC's limits itself. Only for their actual original body to die when the standalone network is killed. That's when I understood how absolute his ability is and how boned all these sages are.

Robo-dude was right. MC is simply too dangerous to be brought back to anyone's world much less his own.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
On the plus side, the MC shows exactly how you should deal with people who keeps slaves: Immediate death.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Eeepies posted:

On the plus side, the MC shows exactly how you should deal with people who keeps slaves: Immediate death.

most of this manga seems to be the guy running into lovely isekai trope fuckers and just zapping them bc theyre bad people

im into it

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Captain Invictus posted:

polnareff isekai

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

I got curious. I read the first chapter. The MC kills a slime and uses it to wipe his rear end after taking a poo poo. The slime pops out of the toilet, climbs up his rear end, eats the food in his stomach and gives him a stomach cramp. He goes to poo poo and violently shits out a MASSIVE SLIME all over the toilet.

Just... why.

khy fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 8, 2019

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
is this a fetish?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Goddammit I thought the fantasy toilet thing was a joke made up by this thread but I guess I should have learned by now

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Jackard posted:

is this a fetish?

the answer to that is always going to be yes

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Argue posted:

Goddammit I thought the fantasy toilet thing was a joke made up by this thread but I guess I should have learned by now

Share in my pain

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Argue posted:

I should've included the cover, which has a dragon scale carved into a toilet seat I believe

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Argue posted:

After learning about the one where someone turns into a hot spring, nothing is unbelievable now.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

I should've included the cover, which has a dragon scale carved into a toilet seat I believe

lmao did they actually design the cover to parody Dungeon Meshi

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So now I ask the question to you all.

Is Planet of the Apes an Isekai story? Is Final Fantasy X an Isekai story or a fake-out Isekai story?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Onmi posted:

Is Planet of the Apes an Isekai story? Is Final Fantasy X an Isekai story or a fake-out Isekai story?

They are both fake out isekais.

Time travel isn’t isekai and I will die on this hill

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think time travel can be isekai, but only if they never engage with the "changing the past" nature of it. If the time travel is just an excuse to hang out in a medieval or dinosaur world, then it's basically an isekai.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Onmi posted:

If the series uses time travel like in Noein, it's Isekai since alternate timelines and parallel realities are "different worlds" by definition. So depending on how they've explained how all the Planet of the Apes movies, whether they are all on the same timeline or if there are parallel timelines that can be isekai.

If it's a single timeline but the 2nd time period the characters travel to it from their home timeline and the story treats it as a fish out of water scenario and has major cultural/social/and technological differences, it's touching on some key aspects of isekai so I treat them as such. This is your 'Now and Then, Here and There', This is your 'Inuyasha', and yes this would be FFX.

I'd need more examples of time travel in anime though, outside of some smaller time loops it's not something I see a lot of to be honest, at least not in recent anime due to how sci-fi has more or less died off and Fantasy is caught up in video game mechanics. I think Re: Zero is the last series I can think of that uses time travel and that's just groundhog day loops.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

FFX also comes close to being isekai because of zanarkand being a literal different reality than the rest of the planet, albeit one that is based on a historical place.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The Bible is an isekai; Jesus' homeworld is heaven, he introduces foreign concepts such as peace and love, and he has a huge male harem that he goes around recruiting. He's also got several OP isekai powers.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Argue posted:

The Bible is an isekai; Jesus' homeworld is heaven, he introduces foreign concepts such as peace and love, and he has a huge male harem that he goes around recruiting. He's also got several OP isekai powers.

:hmmyes:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Nathilus posted:

FFX also comes close to being isekai because of zanarkand being a literal different reality than the rest of the planet, albeit one that is based on a historical place.

No, but that's not what Zanarkand is. Zanakrand is a SUMMON that is a physical island off the coast of Spira that's protected by Sin. It's how Jecht managed to get to Spira just by sailing too far out to train and getting caught up in the bullshit.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Onmi posted:

No, but that's not what Zanarkand is. Zanakrand is a SUMMON that is a physical island off the coast of Spira that's protected by Sin. It's how Jecht managed to get to Spira just by sailing too far out to train and getting caught up in the bullshit.

It may be physically present but it's ontologically completely different than the rest of the world, as a place that has been summoned into existence. It isn't actually reality in the same way spira is.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jackard posted:

is this a fetish?

ordinarily i would say yes but i kind of suspect this is just meant to be funny

e: yeah no this is 100% just toilet humor

outside the scenes of him making GBS threads, which are pretty bluntly played as shock value jokes and not really sexualized, it's basically just the same joke of "guy's obsessed with shitters, elf girl goes :wtc:" repeated over and over

it's honestly kind of great in short bursts but i'm not really 100% sure if it can sustain itself

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 8, 2019

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Nathilus posted:

It may be physically present but it's ontologically completely different than the rest of the world, as a place that has been summoned into existence. It isn't actually reality in the same way spira is.

It's been maybe a decade, but isn't Zanarkrad a dream or is Titus just a dream? I know the plot dips into some lovecraftian stuff with Sin and all that somewhere down the line.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

ordinarily i would say yes but i kind of suspect this is just meant to be funny

e: yeah no this is 100% just toilet humor

outside the scenes of him making GBS threads, which are pretty bluntly played as shock value jokes and not really sexualized, it's basically just the same joke of "guy's obsessed with shitters, elf girl goes :wtc:" repeated over and over

it's honestly kind of great in short bursts but i'm not really 100% sure if it can sustain itself
Suddenly I'm recalling that one bit of Patton Oswalt making fun of Jennifer Aniston's movies and how to make them more interesting by the inclusion of an incontinent monkey with a funny hat in the trailers.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Brought To You By posted:

It's been maybe a decade, but isn't Zanarkrad a dream or is Titus just a dream? I know the plot dips into some lovecraftian stuff with Sin and all that somewhere down the line.

IIRC, Titus' Zanarkand and all of its residents are the summon of a giant fayth created by survivors of the original Zanarkand.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Brought To You By posted:

A "dream" in FFX is basically a summon. It's not really lovecraftian, it's just that Tidus and Zanarkland aren't "real".

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Zanarkand was a real place 1000 years before FFX, it was the first place destroy by Sin. The 'dream zanarkand' is a summon, a recreation of the city created by the memories of its inhabitants. Titus is from dream Zanarkand and as such is part of the summon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
But what truly is Isekai, maaaaannnnn?