Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
OK cool but I don't want to watch the anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Kvantum posted:

The last two episodes of S2 of the anime covered this material.

IMO they didn't do a very good job, the cave in the anime was not as good a setting for the fight and the dragon's design was worse, so it had a lot less impact.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So typical paladin anime, just disappointing.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

It's been like two years since the author said he started on the sixth Faraway Paladin book I wonder how that's going.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Guyver posted:

It's been like two years since the author said he started on the sixth Faraway Paladin book I wonder how that's going.

about as well as the next great cleric and overlord books are going

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
So where is the FP manga in terms of the books?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Climax of the fourth book (volume 3 part two). The fifth is more of a wrap up with a hook for the sixth.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

okay Karate Survivor's pretty neat

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

This was a fun chapter of SSS Ranked Revival Hunter.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new sufficiently advanced medicine

AMAMI IS DOWN, IT'S GO TIME KORONE!

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

EVIL Gibson posted:

If you all want a rather trope-free isekai, you should look up Karate Survivor in Another World

Captain Invictus posted:

here's the mangadex page for it for folks who don't want to go to some random site for it
https://mangadex.org/title/b4615bd9-7cbd-4243-a8a2-5c24671663e0/yajin-tensei-karate-survivor-in-another-world

FYI for those starting Karate Survivor like I just did - The early translations on Mangadex are really bad and I couldn't understand the conversation at all in chapter 4. The REMOVED site seems to have the bad translation on the partial chapters but the full chapters are good (read chapter 4, not chapter 4.1) and by chapter 6 you can just it the next chapter button like normal.

Edit: guess they were scans of an official release. Oops.

Kyoujin fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 5, 2024

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
another split chapter of Faraway Paladin

LET'S loving GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

the two-pagers in this series are incredible

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex MangaDex

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 5, 2024

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The whole chapters are scans of the official release.

Gee wonder why the quality is better and not hosted on mangadex.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Guyver posted:

The whole chapters are scans of the official release.

Gee wonder why the quality is better and not hosted on mangadex.

Yah. Gonna remove the link.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
The latest Estate Developer webtoon (ch 117) was really peak form of the long-running jokes of the series.

https://m.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/the-greatest-estate-developer/list?title_no=3596

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I owe isekai authors an apology.

I made potato chips at home today. I'm sorry I doubted you this poo poo is great. I don't even like bag potato chips.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Guyver posted:

I owe isekai authors an apology.

I made potato chips at home today. I'm sorry I doubted you this poo poo is great. I don't even like bag potato chips.

Ban this slavery loving filth

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Honestly, if it weren't for isekai authors, I probably never would have tried making karaage, tamagoyaki, katsudon, tamago gohan, or curry roux.

They're not "revolutionize the food culture" good, but they're nice to have in the repertoire.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Samurai in another world got an update

Ginko proceeds to nearly poison herself several pages later

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
some interesting worldbuilding in the latest Modern Villainess. probably one of the best indirect portraits of the original character replaced by isekai i’ve seen
https://mangadex.org/title/64c59add-698a-4260-8671-848356f26eab/modern-villainess-it-s-not-easy-building-a-corporate-empire-before-the-crash

sounds like the story is getting out of its initial setup and into the proper academy setting of the game soon

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

this allusion meant posted:

some interesting worldbuilding in the latest Modern Villainess. probably one of the best indirect portraits of the original character replaced by isekai i’ve seen
https://mangadex.org/title/64c59add-698a-4260-8671-848356f26eab/modern-villainess-it-s-not-easy-building-a-corporate-empire-before-the-crash

sounds like the story is getting out of its initial setup and into the proper academy setting of the game soon

Hot drat, i hadn’t heard of this one before and that is some crazy setting. Also absolutely an economic history manga that was couched in isekai just to get people to read it and be engaged lol.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Brought To You By posted:

Samurai in another world got an update

Ginko proceeds to nearly poison herself several pages later

I'm starting to think this author might like feet.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You don't like feet? I thought everybody liked feet. Or did you mean really like feet? That's different.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
the modern villainness economics one looks interesting.

i read the samurai in another world when it released, but lost track due to the slow release pace.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
I don't think it was an isekai, but I'm trying to remember two fantasy series.

First one is the demon lords gatekeeper who is secretly even stronger than demon lord falling in love with the healer of the hero party and jumping ship.

The other is female hero allowing a body switch with the demon lord on his request albeit the rest of the details are a bit hazy as to what the gameplan was with the male sorcere who was in love with her vowing to fix things(I might be getting roles mixed up here).

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
First one: https://mangadex.org/title/024af7a5-f8ad-4b67-b950-b1708f52b018/yuusha-party-ni-kawaii-ko-ga-ita-no-de-kokuhaku-shite-mita?tab=art

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
Modern Villainess was an interesting read, but the concept bothered me somewhat. The action is all about using foreknowledge to acquire financial influence and avert disaster, but the story makes it very clear that she reincarnated in a post-WW2 alt history. Japan wasn't nuked, the pre-war aristocracy and zaibatsu remained in place, but financial institutions from your home world are not only somehow there, but still have events predictable down to the week?

Predicting technology and investment opportunities in foreign markets are one thing; I like that Japan isn't the center of the world for no reason. But a change of that magnitude 50 years ago isn't going to be a tiny butterfly effect.

Or did I or the translation miss something? It seems like it being isekai creates a gaping plot hole that's just ignored. On the other hand, if it wasn't, she'd also have foreknowledge about her personal future (instead of only finance) which is what seems to be coming up in the second arc. You'd have to do a partial amnesia regression, I guess? I don't think I've read one of those.

The alt history politics start getting a bit interesting in the second arc, even though I kept reading for the Japanese financial minutiae. Maybe the plot hole is actually good if it makes the story interesting? Like how sometimes it just casually goes my funds were getting low, but oh look, my tech investments paid dividends of several billion dollars again which, yeah ok, seems odd at first, but constantly updating her ledger would actually kill the pacing. Well now I'm rambling and don't even know what I want from this anymore; I'm going to bed.

tl;dr: two differently themed manga conjoined in a teleporter accident and it's certainly interesting. And has a lot of very bright white background. Don't read it at 1 AM like I did.

Mordecai fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 16, 2024

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

doomrider7 posted:

The other is female hero allowing a body switch with the demon lord on his request albeit the rest of the details are a bit hazy as to what the gameplan was with the male sorcere who was in love with her vowing to fix things(I might be getting roles mixed up here).

This ones on jump+
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/titles/100251

Demon lord exchange.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Mordecai posted:

Modern Villainess was an interesting read, but the concept bothered me somewhat. The action is all about using foreknowledge to acquire financial influence and avert disaster, but the story makes it very clear that she reincarnated in a post-WW2 alt history. Japan wasn't nuked, the pre-war aristocracy and zaibatsu remained in place, but financial institutions from your home world are not only somehow there, but still have events predictable down to the week?

Predicting technology and investment opportunities in foreign markets are one thing; I like that Japan isn't the center of the world for no reason. But a change of that magnitude 50 years ago isn't going to be a tiny butterfly effect.

Or did I or the translation miss something?

Isekai is all about power fantasy/wish fulfilment and for some authors its about getting petty revenge on their high school bullies, being successful with women/men, or just having an adventure instead of a mundane life. For that author its about ‘what if there were good billionaires?’, and what if they did something good for the country like helping prevent a recession? You know, just impossible fun things that everyone loves to fantasize about.

You’re absolutely right that the alt history should cause a lot of changes, the author is ignoring that in favor of writing the fantasy of how they’d prevent a recession that probably had a big impact on their life. Along the way we’re exploring some other interesting alt history that allows them to reframe things (and likely avoid some japanese libel laws or other legal troubles).

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Doublepost because the cat is still not letting me sleep

How does your isekai reincarnation go wrong when you are hit by cybertuck-kun?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

you are reborn as elon musk

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

No fullheal after getting absolutely rolled by a 2 ton boulder of steel going 55 MPH

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

you are reborn as elon musk

I'm tired of these plots where it's trivial to do better than the previous life

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Although actually, reincarnated as a person in a position of extreme power who is in the middle of a downfall and who has legitimately done extremely messed up things in the past but still has potential to do good is an interesting notion.

You know, reincarnated into the body of stalin in 1929 or Nero the day after Rome burned, or something.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's not reincarnation but try inspector kurokichi.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

A villianess manga plot, but you’re elon musk is john brown isekai level satire

I feel like you have to awaken during a joe rogan podcast to start it off

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
the elon musk isekai concept i have is that he knows he’s been reincarnated into a character with the lowtax flags and is trying to avoid it by doing the standard villainess table turning stuff, but he was simply too bad at understanding the game in his original life to actually be able to work the mechanics. moreover, he is aware of that, but constantly misreads his interpersonal level failings as errors of that form (misunderstanding game mechanics) instead

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Mordecai posted:

Or did I or the translation miss something? It seems like it being isekai creates a gaping plot hole that's just ignored. On the other hand, if it wasn't, she'd also have foreknowledge about her personal future (instead of only finance) which is what seems to be coming up in the second arc. You'd have to do a partial amnesia regression, I guess? I don't think I've read one of those.

The alt history politics start getting a bit interesting in the second arc, even though I kept reading for the Japanese financial minutiae. Maybe the plot hole is actually good if it makes the story interesting? Like how sometimes it just casually goes my funds were getting low, but oh look, my tech investments paid dividends of several billion dollars again which, yeah ok, seems odd at first, but constantly updating her ledger would actually kill the pacing. Well now I'm rambling and don't even know what I want from this anymore; I'm going to bed.

tl;dr: two differently themed manga conjoined in a teleporter accident and it's certainly interesting. And has a lot of very bright white background. Don't read it at 1 AM like I did.
my understanding is that she is in a fantasy game that takes place in an alternate timeline and that the financial collapse based on the irl japanese bubble crash was written into the lore of that game to appeal to its audience of OLs being worked to death. whether the game writers did it well or not seems to not be the point; they intended for it to echo irl japan and the reincarnation setting causes the details to fill in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Much appreciated.