Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
why invent boring poo poo like soy sauce, guns, farming, democracy, or capitalism when you can effect a true cultural shift like fumos?

https://mangadex.org/title/462bd3fc...-de-onnanoko-wo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Whats this acryl thing?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Swilo posted:

why invent boring poo poo like soy sauce, guns, farming, democracy, or capitalism when you can effect a true cultural shift like fumos?

https://mangadex.org/title/462bd3fc...-de-onnanoko-wo

Yeah, give me a protagonist recovering from Paris syndrome and sadly showing a dragon chef how to make a Crème Brûlée while trying not to cry as they remember how much it smelled like piss there.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new Dungeon That Kills All Adventurers chapter. another really brutal one

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

new Dungeon That Kills All Adventurers chapter. another really brutal one

And then The short one completely misses the point of this intentional design choice.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I’m reading the Riverworld books and am on the second one which is starring Mark Twain and it’s very cool. Riverworld anime when? Doesn’t need to follow the books just be in the same universe. Have Oda Nobunaga taking over a massive swathe of the river and then fight Genghis Khan or something

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

Whats this acryl thing?

Probably supposed to mean vinyl, the poo poo Funkos are made from.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

Whats this acryl thing?

The default form of anime character merchandise these days is acrylic stands with a picture of the character printed on them, like this:

Cheap to make, cheap to buy.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I feel like there's something off about me because I've literally never had a desire to purchase chintzy stuff with logos or character art on it. Or maybe I'm just a boring person. I go out of my way to get clothing without logos on it when I can.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Just binged though all of SSS-Class Suicide Hunter to current, and goddamn what a fun one. There are so many places where I expected the story to devolve into super-tropey schlock, but it kept right on pleasantly surprising me.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

1st Stage Midboss posted:

The default form of anime character merchandise these days is acrylic stands with a picture of the character printed on them, like this:

Cheap to make, cheap to buy.

Oh, standees. Yeah they just seem really on the too cheap side for me to have any interest in them. Thanks for clearing up the nomenclature

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If I'm gonna buy a character-based item that isn't just a print or something, it's gotta have articulation like a figma etc. A plastic-encased stock image of a character doesn't really do it for me, I wanna be able to put them in silly poses and duel goku etc

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

i mean it'd be nice as a car mirror ornament or something? a smaller one for a phone charm. as desk tat though seems a little plain to me. I suppose if you were on very little budget it'd be more appealing as the better option.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The thing about acrylic merchandise is that it's usually bought by fans who know that specific character/series is not going to get anything "bigger". It's kind of a poor man's merch on both ends.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

mycot posted:

The thing about acrylic merchandise is that it's usually bought by fans who know that specific character/series is not going to get anything "bigger". It's kind of a poor man's merch on both ends.

Imagine only getting a 2% cut of that.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Considering acrylic standees sell for peanuts 2% of peanuts is nothing. You'll get some money due to sheer volume, but it's not paying the rent.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
RTA Isekai

:discourse: Clean ending to a fight.

Yakuza Reincarnation has also been updating the !Japan saga. The demonic doppelganger has revealed herself

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
tfw when you discover a new NPC duplication glitch

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
finished reading all of "The Extra's Guide to Survival"

about some 250 or so chapters. One of the few that seemed to actually end pretty well and looped everything nicely together.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
In another world where baseball is war has finished it's translations and I think it's a solid short but sweet isekai. It's refreshing to see a modern isekai where the MC actually has a reason to want to go home and doesn't betray that desire from start to finish while still forging some strong bonds in the other world. I do think it's a bit too clean how the demon team is handled with their whole "consume the loser" mentality and the fanservice got a bit egregious during the training arc. But those things aside this is a solid series and I'm glad to have read it.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
too bad baseball sucks

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

GateOfD posted:

too bad baseball sucks

I think this isekai might be more your speed then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKNy-MWjkcU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

GateOfD posted:

too bad baseball sucks

the story does a good job of selling baseball, fwiw
even if you don't know poo poo about the sport

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Speaking of baseball, my favorite episode of Dorohedoro is the one where they try and fail to play a baseball game against the rival hospital.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Kyte posted:

the story does a good job of selling baseball, fwiw
even if you don't know poo poo about the sport

This manga is the only time I've ever been at all interested in baseball.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I'd just like to say baseball owns an I will fight anyone who disagrees.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I appreciate it being a story with a conclusion that didn't just meander around and outstay it's welcome. I kind of wish it'd been more than three matches and we got a little more time to flesh out some more of the team, but I enjoyed it despite not knowing/caring about baseball at all. The MC has some really good trash talk at times.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
started reading Pick Me Up, Infinite Gacha.
terrible title. But its a korean webtoon.

Guy that's at the top of a hardcore gacha game that has permanent death for units, gets teleported into it as a 1* unit. And has to survive.
Realizes that everyone in the game was real all along. And the 'master' controlling the space is a clueless human player on earth who thinks its just a regular gacha game like he did.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I appreciate it being a story with a conclusion that didn't just meander around and outstay it's welcome. I kind of wish it'd been more than three matches and we got a little more time to flesh out some more of the team, but I enjoyed it despite not knowing/caring about baseball at all. The MC has some really good trash talk at times.

I pretty much feel the same. I think they did a solid job of telling the story and wrapping it up before it became stale, but I think they could have fleshed things out a bit more with another lower-stakes match before jumping into the life-or-death match against the demons.

GateOfD posted:

started reading Pick Me Up, Infinite Gacha.
terrible title. But its a korean webtoon.

Guy that's at the top of a hardcore gacha game that has permanent death for units, gets teleported into it as a 1* unit. And has to survive.
Realizes that everyone in the game was real all along. And the 'master' controlling the space is a clueless human player on earth who thinks its just a regular gacha game like he did.

Pick Me Up is one of the few "hard men making hard choices" stories that I can stomach. A lot of that comes down to the scenario requiring team play so the MC can't be a total dick to everyone, plus he occasionally makes suboptimal choices out of respect for his companions.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Nemo2342 posted:

I pretty much feel the same. I think they did a solid job of telling the story and wrapping it up before it became stale, but I think they could have fleshed things out a bit more with another lower-stakes match before jumping into the life-or-death match against the demons.

Pick Me Up is one of the few "hard men making hard choices" stories that I can stomach. A lot of that comes down to the scenario requiring team play so the MC can't be a total dick to everyone, plus he occasionally makes suboptimal choices out of respect for his companions.

Agree with both of these points.
Also fair warning to people, Pick Me Up has fight scenes that last for whole-rear end chapters so you might wanna check it like every other month.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
reading 'Not your typical reincarnation'

it kind of is though, but I still like it. man, redhead villainess is a great character design.

typical villainess isekai, the main character tries to avoid ruin, but 'fate' keeps trying to keep her on the path. To the point that the other characters when they feel bad for her get a headache to try to force them to stay on the route. So her goal is to try to fulfill certain conditions to weaken the flow of fate.
and of course, surprise, the heroine is actually a bitch, like other typical reincarnation stories.
---

still keeping up with 'Pick me Up'
i find myself not really caring about the actual mission/fighting part, so find myself just scrolling thru it. More interested in how the MC is balancing his interactions with the other heroes and seeing how far he can go. Would like to play a gacha with the premise in the story.

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 17, 2024

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I read a bit of Otherworldly Munchkin and wow it was just not good. It has a by the numbers edgy isekai protagonist, the female companion makes me think the author hates women, and what I saw of the sister character made me think the author doesn’t have any siblings.

I was really really unimpressed

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

thetoughestbean posted:

I read a bit of Otherworldly Munchkin and wow it was just not good. It has a by the numbers edgy isekai protagonist, the female companion makes me think the author hates women, and what I saw of the sister character made me think the author doesn’t have any siblings.

I remember this one got posted before, but I can't remember which one it was...wait is this the one where the meek boy who lived a Hayate the Combat Butler tier sad life gets reincarnated into a brutal world where all the most dangerous beings love and dote on him?

Edit: Completely different series to the above(which was also dumb and bad). Just read a bit of it and yeah I don't need to read more than just the first few pages to agree with your assessment.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 17, 2024

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

thetoughestbean posted:

While it never completely loses all of that edginess, I really enjoy how the world runs on the author's homebrewed Pathfinder 1E rules. And you get dumb stuff like this:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
That was the page that made me pick it up, actually.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Starting with the magician's nephew is cheating, you don't have context for the events and it's just confusing.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I read all of the currently translated I'm evil lord of an intergalactic empire, its very fun. Same author as trapped in an otome game life is hard for mobs which is also fun and is close to wrapping up i think (and season 2 of anime).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Spookydonut posted:

Same author as trapped in an otome game life is hard for mobs which is also fun and is close to wrapping up i think (and season 2 of anime).
this one? I hear it keeps going past this arc and falls into a quality pit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Captain Invictus posted:

this one? I hear it keeps going past this arc and falls into a quality pit.

the light novel is what i've read, its not the best writing but i haven't seen it nose dive completely yet