Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I lost interest in the Trapped in a Dating Sim LN when the sequel game starts. It just seemed like the story wrapped up at that point and I wasn't really interested in continuing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

GateOfD posted:

reading 'Not your typical reincarnation'

it kind of is though, but I still like it. man, redhead villainess is a great character design.

typical villainess isekai, the main character tries to avoid ruin, but 'fate' keeps trying to keep her on the path. To the point that the other characters when they feel bad for her get a headache to try to force them to stay on the route. So her goal is to try to fulfill certain conditions to weaken the flow of fate.
and of course, surprise, the heroine is actually a bitch, like other typical reincarnation stories.

Just binged this one (the Webtoon release at least, listed as "I thought it was a Common Possession" on mangadex/others) to current(33?) and I quite like it, as it's a pretty different take than the widely-explored "I'm in the villainess' body and need to right all the wrongs" pathway. Where it's at on Webtoon hasn't quite made it to what I threw under spoiler tags in your quote, but I can't say it's a huge surprise.

E: read to as far as it's been fan translated (Ch. 53/apparently the end of season 1) and someone is loving with her pretty hardcore and it's down to like two candidates and I strongly dislike both of them.

spookykid fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Mar 25, 2024

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*

Spookydonut posted:

I read all of the currently translated I'm evil lord of an intergalactic empire, its very fun. Same author as trapped in an otome game life is hard for mobs which is also fun and is close to wrapping up i think (and season 2 of anime).

Might check out the evil lord of empire one.
I think it’s hilarious when the MC tries to be selfish, lazy or evil and everyone ends up misunderstanding that he’s an amazing person due to because he isn’t 100% a dick or bad(good) luck and his actions save everyone and keeps getting burdened with responsibility because of that

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Got another Isekai Samurai. We're getting some backstory and some sage advice from our intrepid Samurai

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Sasaki and Peeps is probably the most interesting original idea I've seen in the Isekai space for a while. It's weird because it's not really doing anything different, it's just doing everything better somehow

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
don't care about the merchant or noble side at all in that series, usually i do like the merchant stuff, but not for peeps.
i like how its pretty much older Kyon-kun from Haruhi once against just running into every troupe imaginable

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Huh, so that's where ONE got the idea for Versus from.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
i just finished reading all of the lazy dungeon master novels and they were amusing, now i'm reading monster tamer novels and the tonal 180 is giving me whiplash.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I’m trying to think of D&D-inspired series for an endcap at my job. The books need to be physically available (so no Isekai Munchkin)

My list so far:
Delicious in Dungeon (sadly the first volume needs a reprint)
Frieren (same)
Record of Lodoss War: The Crown of the Covenant
Slayers light novels
Lazy Dungeon Master
Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash light novels
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?
Konosuba: God’s Blessing on This Wonderful World

I know Goblin Slayer technically counts but c’mon. No.

Any ideas?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The Strange Adventure of a Broke Mercenary fits pretty well.
One of the antagonists in Mynoghra is a TRPG player.

Faraway Paladin

Magic User is about a level 20 dnd mage in JRPG land.

Overlord is MMORPG based but it takes a lot from dnd.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 5, 2024

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
Reborn in Another World as a Max Level Wizard.

A guy isekais as his D&D character while the worlds magic is like jrpg style with MP-ish kind of system

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Guyver posted:

Faraway Paladin
100% this. one of my favorite currently running series.

I'm not entirely sure my recommendations would necessarily fit, but I figure I might as well try, right?

would S-Rank Daughter fit the bill, maybe?

another series I really want to recommend even if it doesn't fall into that wheelhouse is Heterogenia Linguistico: An Introduction to Interspecies Linguistics, an incredibly detailed fantasy series about an anthropologist and translator traveling to areas populated by monsters(werewolves, gryphons, lizardmen, etc) to learn how they live and survive and attempting to translate their respective languages, both spoken and physical. It's genuinely one of the most conceptually fascinating series I've ever read.

also, if you help stock a bookstore, I highly recommend keeping these series on your radar for if/when they eventually get licensed:

Old Knight of the Frontier, Bard Loen
Any Sufficiently Advanced Science is Indistinguishable From Magic

Bard Loen is such a phenomenal series that I'm kind of flabbergasted it hasn't even been licensed by some digital storefront like J-Novel yet.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

The Wolf Never Sleeps

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

thetoughestbean posted:

I’m trying to think of D&D-inspired series for an endcap at my job. The books need to be physically available (so no Isekai Munchkin)

My list so far:
Frieren (same)
Slayers light novels
Lazy Dungeon Master

Any ideas?

konosuba has a trpg source book

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Spookydonut posted:

konosuba has a trpg source book

Yeah, we stock it.

Captain Invictus posted:

also, if you help stock a bookstore, I highly recommend keeping these series on your radar for if/when they eventually get licensed:

Old Knight of the Frontier, Bard Loen
Any Sufficiently Advanced Science is Indistinguishable From Magic

Bard Loen is such a phenomenal series that I'm kind of flabbergasted it hasn't even been licensed by some digital storefront like J-Novel yet.

If they get a general release we’ll probably get the some sent our way by the publishers/the guy who does our initial purchasing. We sell a lot of manga so we receive most of the new stuff

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

thetoughestbean posted:

My list so far:
Frieren (same)
Slayers light novels
Lazy Dungeon Master

Any ideas?

Unwanted Undead Adventurer, but I'm not sure if that has a physical. It's incredibly DnD though.

Forgot to add Helck. It's more Dragon Quest, but gently caress it Helck is too awesome to not rec.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 6, 2024

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
A lot of things on that list are more Dragon Quest than D&D, it's probably okay.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Clarste posted:

A lot of things on that list are more Dragon Quest than D&D, it's probably okay.

Pretty much

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Yeah there should be more WRPGs on a D&D list. I'd suggest adding Witch Hat Atelier in addition to the other suggestions like Bard Loen and Wolf Won't Sleep.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Jackard posted:

Yeah there should be more WRPGs on a D&D list. I'd suggest adding Witch Hat Atelier in addition to the other suggestions like Bard Loen and Wolf Won't Sleep.

Solid recs. Also looked into it and yeah Unwanted Undead Adventurer has a physical release and is VERY DnD as is Faraway Paladin. Both Lodoss War and Slayers are LITERALLY based on DnD campaigns and concepts so those go without saying. Wolf Wont Sleep sadly got axed which was bullshit, but Bard Loen still continues and is awesome.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Since we stock the Konosuba RPG I figured I’d check out how many we sold in the last 52 weeks. A respectable 7! That’s five more than the Marvel RPG and four more than the Pathfinder 2e core ruleset.

It’s also 49 less than the D&D 5e Player’s Handbook but, y’know, you’ll take what you can get

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I forgot the majority of what I had read of Strongest Curse Clan Reincarnation: A Magic User's Utopia, except things like he uses totems as magical tools, has a creepy stalker sister, and in his initial adventures he got some major accomplishments that he didn't want to bother with so he made a deal with this one dipshit useless thug bully in town to take credit for them instead. well in the latest chapter it's revealed the dipshit useless thug bully was happy to have all this unearned fame, and word of "his" amazing deeds made its way to the queen, who immediately hired him as head of the royal guard as a PR stunt. and at this point most stories would have him fail spectacularly and catastrophically in a bout of karma and schadenfreude for his earlier misdeeds, but instead he bucked up and took on the role of an actual hero befitting the lies surrounding him. also the dipshit useless thug bully's name is Gaston :allears:

like the series is pretty mediocre but I just find that one bit funny

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
God drat karate survivor in another world is good. I won't say it is especially groundbreaking, but it perfectly captures the "Wanderer" aspect of its hero best. It's got extremely minimal rpg poo poo in it(levels, level caps, skills and a menu) that get brought up very rarely, but is mostly about the main character living in an extremely brutal dog-eat-dog society of adventurers in a VERY medieval(and I mean that, no "castles but there's magic lanterns to replace electricity" sort of crap excuse) society. The way he builds incredibly strong friendships and bonds that at a moment's notice can dissipate or be forced apart, is very well done imo.

It is fairly repetitive in its storylines but despite that is written well enough that it keeps you locked in. The current arc is one of my favorites so far though.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 20, 2024

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

do you think he took his knife back

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The one used for the special attack?

...Probably reluctantly. It's a nice knife.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I read all of the karate isekai and now I'm sad that there isn't any more karate isekai to read.

Man, that guy can't catch any breaks can he? The translation I found for the first few chapters was really poor quality so I don't understand why the villages at the beginning wanted the main character dead so badly. Does anyone know?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hes a rootless outsider with a decent bit of cash in monster materials, an outlaw under the old definition.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

drat, all caught up on Karate Survivor.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

New speedrunner isekai

I greatly appreciate that it's not entirely going by the info he has as a dedicated single game speedrunner, but also tossing in things he wouldn't naturally know. Which then gets subverted by other knowledge he DOES know, but that's the fun of it :allears:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

slightly disappointed that the game didnt break to the point where the princess is in two places at once but eh ill see where this goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The whole point is that it's not a game, even if he can glitch his way through.