Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
The dwarf is literally just Glaswegian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Brought To You By posted:

Is this a joke or do people in that world really not notice when someones ears are in a different place compared to them?

Reborn in a World Full of Republicans Who "Don't See Race"

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

surf rock posted:

I'm generally not an isekai fan, so after the vending machine show experience I'd love to get a second opinion on these other shows that are in my watchlist to see if I should boot either of them:

Sonny Boy
The Executioner and Her Way of Life

Thanks!

Sonny Boy is excellent and only resembles an "isekai" in that it vaguely involves "another world" (which is in no way any sort of standard fantasy world). If you liked Tatami Galaxy this has a similar vibe.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

It's a problem with isekais in general, that they just carry a lot of cultural baggage and that's just a part of it. In general the worldbuilding seems fairly secondary to how the protagonist relates to, fits into, or reshapes that world. It's almost kind of solipsistic in outlook, and I think someone could natter for days about how it reflects dissatisfaction with the state of the world as it exists. It's easy to see how poo poo our world is and long for a "better" one, or one where we feel more in control, but few people are truly prepared to wrestle their own biases. So it becomes another thing you don't question, like why all these ersatz Medieval-European settings always have Japanese-style hot springs, or why nobody thought to make coffee or chocolate before (when theses plant exist in their current state precisely because of thousands of generations of selective breeding and cultivation), or what the toilet sitch is like. And don't get me started on why nobody ever seems to have a complete existential breakdown and question the nature of reality itself if they find themselves in a video game world.

These are all narrative conveniences, because many are ultimately escapism/wish fulfillment, and treated as such. I guess the key is not to think about it too much and just find a concept you click with.

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 12, 2024

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Yeah, and like I said, I can buy into anything in the service of a good story/setting. The doctor isekai one where he cured vampirism with tortillas was a funny one when you think about just how much human interference went into making corn the way it is and how long nixtamalization has been known about, but who cares, it was a funny, charming, and educational story! It does kind of stretch credulity a bit that they only ever had one food and never once experimented with it or even tried to eat it any other way, but whatever. Maybe their ancestors just liked being goth and it kind of snowballed from there.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Maybe it's just the series I've picked to stick with (and is part of why I picked them) but I do seem to see "nobility/the rich are/can be venal assholes" a lot. When there are "good" rich people, it's usually that the protagonist's family is one of the few good ones and/or the wealth is just a platform for hijinks and shouldn't be taken any more seriously as a sociopolitical treatise than Beverly Hills Teens. Again, though, that's probably because I'm quick to drop series that don't click with me.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Authors can have any number of inherent biases, and maybe it's down to the skill of the author in conveying their intentions (or hiding their chudlier proclivities), but I'd bet that more often than not, the presence of good wealthy people vs. bad wealthy people is a benign "well there are good and bad nobles, same as the rest of us", which all things told is probably fairly well-intentioned, even if it's really superficial. Asking people to do a deep dive into the origins of obscene wealth through a Marxist lens is maybe a bit much to ask from authors who frankly want to tell a different sort of story. So again, they're sort of unexamined trappings for adventures that require lush ballrooms, balconies, private schools, etc. all as part of the genre conventions.

One of the few isekais I've stuck with is One Within the Villainess, which may possibly get the closest to being genuinely disruptive (and challenging) to that sort of system. Even though the precipitating event was magical hijinks, it made her realize that the whole system is rotten and she's tearing it down with a Soviet-style collective populated by low-class societal outcasts who get to live up to their potential, and the profits from her machinations are socialized to their benefit. Even their identical uniforms are very Soviet (with a bit of Russian peasantry in it). And it's completely hysterical that she's not even doing it out of ideology, it's just purely out of spite. Like, "gently caress you all, I will improve everyone's lives just to show you I'm best!" (I do think/hope it will end up being one of those cases where "the mask becomes the reality" with respect to doing good, and I am an absolute sucker for that sort of thing, so that's why this one has me hooked.)

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

So where is the FP manga in terms of the books?