Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

AtomikKrab posted:

I've been reading Chinese fightman webnovel isekai … some of it is ok? :shrug:

eventually the mc will encounter a 'no consent' zone. it's inevitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sorry, but that's just what your friend is into. :sever:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm pretty sure i've read the first chapter of this several times, forgetting each time how it ends. for obvious reasons, i never continue to chapter 2.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
usagi drop was way more dad manga than not, even after the time skip. skeezy poo poo is skeezy poo poo no matter what comes along with it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i read one wn for quite a while, because i thought it was funny how it would constantly transcribe stat blocks from a d&d monster manual for no particular reason. this was its only redeeming trait. but naturally, the mc then acquired some slaves. oh, but it wasn't girls with animal ears who worshipped their owner like a god because he did the bare minimum in keeping them healthy. no, he got a bunch of slaves, crammed them into the hold of a ship so he could develop a tropical island plantation. when some tried to run, he crucified them. most of the description of that event was composed of a bizarre explanation of how crucifying people in a certain way creates vengeful ghosts, so he wouldn't do it that way. so, uh, dropped.

jesus loving christ, abyss domination.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
fuckin' yikes. 'this pogrom was good because its targets deserved it' is the justification for every pogrom.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh right, i remember that one. well, mostly i remember how in the sequel he and his party go back to earth, before he went to vietnam (which is another modern isekai trope, albeit without the party). after all the stuff with the evil sorcerer and such is resolved, he comes clean to the draft board and they give him an exemption for insanity.

i also read it in high school, so i dunno how well it holds up. so many of the books i enjoyed back then simply don't, at all.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm honestly not sure how he's supposed to progress. his guns are gone, his magic potential is poo poo, his melee fighting ability is poo poo, and the only particular advantage he has is a damaged ai he can't actually take into the dungeon. it's interesting.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i liked the premise of how he was told "think about what you've done and try again", then supplied with an ethics instructor. unfortunately on his very first day of his second try he sprinted full speed toward the nearest slave market. once there he quickly proved himself worse than the slave merchants. having a story that jokes about how terrible the mc is does not in fact make him less terrible.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dude looks ridiculous with that mask and the writing is nearly incoherent. let's rescue these guys from lizardmen, because no one ever clears this cave of lizardmen due to the powerful boss. oh no, they are ungrateful so they were convinced to turn against their saviors! oh no, it turns out they were only pretending to be captured by the lizardmen as a way to entrap potential rescuers in this place no one ever goes despite their conversation 5 minutes ago about how they were, in fact rescued. now it is okay to kill all of them, along with their friends they called in off-panel whose existence makes the fake prisoner thing even more pointless.

it's bad even by webnovel standards, and the webtoon adaptation didn't bother to clean up any of the gaping plot holes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
generally it means absorbing ambient energy to enhance and alter your body in weird ways according to a manual. do it enough and you reach a new stage which dramatically transforms you. this process repeats until the author runs out of ideas.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the exact opposite of that was that one wn about an isekai dude who ended up a healer so he decided to go all in on an evasion build. except, he was a newcomer to that world and didn't actually know how the evasion stat worked. he simply assumed it was overpowered like in some games rather than non-functional or weak like in others. so naturally, his completely unfounded assumption turned out to be completely correct and evasion worked by making everything automatically miss with no action necessary on his part. no one in this world had ever realized this, despite also having access to the level and stat system. this naturally resulted in him wandering around, smug and literally invincible while the moronic natives of the world remained angry and confused because he was doing it wrong.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it worked out for them in the end, because despite having a completely overpowered player running around who breaks balance simply by existing, she also serves as a cute mascot they can use in advertising.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
maple's aware that it is just a game and she's in it to have fun with her friends. compare that to chinese mmo webnovels, which are always about getting rich first and then maybe some e-peen bullshit after that's taken care of.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
and also the mc's sister wants to gently caress him

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they all have this bizarre idea that farming is easy, even before they get absurd cheats which make everything including farming trivially easy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he was the only person who read a particular wn all the way to the end, because said wn was unbelievably bad. it made me feel seen.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
shield heroine is cute and funny so it's only natural that it would be less popular than a tiresome mra manifesto in anime form.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lmao at this

the basic premise is that people get isekai'd to this completely generic fantasy world with rpg systems all the time, for no reason, and they are fundamentally inferior to any random native inhabitant because of their limited access to those systems. oh, except for the mc, he is actually super awesome at everything and doesn't have to deal with any of those downsides, all for no particular reason. also, every woman he meets instantly becomes completely obsessed with him what with how awesome he is. so, it's not like the mc has much of an issue with prejudice. what is even the point of making a setting with such a twist and then immediately contradicting it to tell a bog standard isekai story with no noteworthy aspects?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
based on how it is going thus far someone will simply give him one or more slaves and he'll go "well gosh" as his sole reaction. the morality of slavery will never be mentioned.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's not really surprising that the dude whose sole defining trait is uncritical consumption of mass media would like sao.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it went from a more or less okay action comedy to the webtoon of the year when the gun witches showed up

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
saving a kid is usually the reason why truck-kun is successful. it's not anything new or different from any other isekai stories.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Pyronic posted:

Charlie'd fit right in, you need rats bashed? he's got you covered. Don't know how to read this world's writing? doesn't change a thing!

bashing rats is how 50% of all isekai adventurers get started!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I thought they were gonna bone in the boat.

and he is 100% going to get an american gun as an upgrade to his paltry inferior crippled-by-laws japanese gun eventually

as much as it itself has become a cliche and basis of multiple series, I do love the incompetent/broken society of gods trope in isekai.

he could just swap out the barrel.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he's still buying and keeping a slave.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

The theoretical person who purchases slaves just to unchain them and give them a gun and point them right at their slavers does sound pretty cool, if a bit contrived to find a situation where purchasing a slave isn't completely heinous

that's just using slaves as weapons, which isn't really a new idea. a better scenario would be to murder the slaver and then free the slaves, who can then make their own decisions about slaver killing rampages.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
fran mostly freed herself. it was her desire and sword dad provided the power to carry it out. that's their whole dynamic.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the part of the story anyone liked was the last fourth or so, after he became an adult.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Argas posted:

is monster taming slavery

sometimes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
one fairly ordinary monster taming wn got really unsettling later on because the mc found ways to raise his monsters to sentience and also turn them into girls. this included the non-humanoid monsters.

obviously, that's when i dropped it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
frodo never specifically says he does not have the mind of a japanese teenager, so he probably did all along. tolkien just forgot to put it in because he was focusing on putting in more annoying songs.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
uh, that one was fine at first and then it became mostly about adult women lusting after a little boy. it's unquestionably shotacon.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the joke is that his aide wanted to bring in people the guy would find non-threatening to help with his communication disorder, but phrased it in the worst possible way.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm just in it for the rad character art.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
this one, probably?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there have been a few where some random monster was stronger than the heroes. the oddest of them is the one where that monster wipes out the party except for the hero's pregnant gf and ends up as an adoptive father.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kobolds show up often enough in the innumerable korean wn's about dungeons in the modern day.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Kyoukai Meikyuu To Ikai No Majutsushi - ISEKAI SPEEDRUN ANY % COMPETITION DONATE NOW
https://manganato.com/manga-ce979561

the only thing worse than the translation is the writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's ultimately a story about how wonderful and special the mc is. everything else is window dressing.