Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

khy posted:

World Strongest Rearguard: Labyrinth Country and Dungeon Seekers is an interesting isekai where the MC himself is OK but not amazing but becomes OP as hell when combined with his party members. It's entertaining so far but only has ten chapters out.

There is a thing going on where people who get killed turn into demi-humans who just do what they're told, but instead of being slaves or anything like that they're treated like mercenaries or hirelings. Dunno if that would rub people the wrong way.

So I just finished reading first volume of the LN version of this, and on the whole I enjoyed it. The MC is fairly likeable, and though they do lean pretty hard on the whole "he doesn't know how to handle romantic situations" gimmick he doesn't fall into the stereotype of being unable to function like a normal person. I also enjoy that his OPness comes from boosting allies, directing them in combat, and (presumably) putting together parties with strong synergies. You do have to wait until the end of the novel for them to start learning anything about what's actually going in the world (such as what they're originally meant to be seeking).

Some caveats though:

1) It's a harem story (of course), which isn't helped by the fact that the MC's passive buff abilities increase his party member's affection towards him and don't seem to turn off outside of the dungeons.
2) Three of the party members (so far) are "not old enough to drink" which would charitably put them in their late teens. They're still part of the harem because why wouldn't they be.
3) The author really has a thing for breasts. The MC getting prodded for lingering too long on someone's chest becomes a running gag.
4) The aforementioned treatment of demi-humans.

Also I found the "exclusive bonus content" mini story at the end of the novel to be extremely uncomfortable and offputting. During the second night when all the women are staying in his apartment for the first time, there's a scene where they come to look at him while he's sleeping. They're all overcome with infatuation caused by his constantly on buffs, and since none of them have ever so much as stayed in a man's house before they're not sure what to do about their need to be close to him. So one of them undoes his shirt so they can look at his chest, then they all take turns touching him (mostly holding his hand) and trying to egg each other on about maybe doing a bit more than just touching his hand. Finally they all go back to bed because they're worried he's going to wake up and catch them touching him.

I'm not sure what the author was going for with that, but it came off as super weird to me. If it had been part of the main narrative I'd have probably put the book down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Guyver posted:

This happens in the manga in chapter 11 (the one from two months ago) except they don't show nothing happening in the end but leave it up to your imagination.

Yeah the novel itself skims over that scene and it works out ok, but then he had to go and write his expanded version at the end.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Mirage posted:

So, uh, like, he can NEVER wear clothing? Or clothing doesn't even exist in this world and everybody's running around naked? ("Why are you wearing such things on your body, traveler? We know it is cold, but that is just the Will of the Prophets!") Or he can't find any clothing in his size, so he ends up wearing cartoonishly outsized giant pants with a rope drawn around his waist, plus a tiny hobbit-sized coat that leaves his midriff showing?

The concept is so intriguing on its own that I almost don't want to read the manga.

Glancing through the scans, it looks like he gets clothes at the end of volume one, then volume two puts him in a situation where he gets stripped again. Since it's tagged comedy my guess would be that pattern is going to repeat endlessly.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Artificer posted:

He doesn't give a poo poo about her its best she goes off and...does whatever it is she does.

Goes wherever people trapped in dungeons go when they shut down I guess.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

7c Nickel posted:

I was really gratified to see The Faraway Paladin subvert this by setting up the "obviously corrupt bishop" type and then showing that he's actually a good guy who's just constantly irritated by having to play politics and shout to keep the church funded and independent.

That really was a pleasant surprise and a very welcome twist to the usual formula. I also appreciated his justification that he didn't display his obvious holiness because he didn't want people to associate all the business/political shadiness he had to do with his god.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Speaking of, the next chapter is up now and we're getting a plotline of some sort. And there's a great action bit where Vampire Dad takes out a golem drone by drifting his farm truck on a dirt road, which is enough to keep me reading.

I also laughed when the goddess told him to get a job and pay his mortgage.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Syritta posted:

With that cover?

Much like real life, the horny stops once she puts pants on.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

khy posted:

This feels practically identical to 'Farming Life in Another World'. MC has mastery over tools (One tool in FLIAW, any tool in this one), has women literally throwing themselves at him to be his bride, rules over monsters, is friends with and also far more powerful than the monsters who are all legendarily strong, etc.

I have nothing better to do, so I ended up bingeing "Farming Life in Another World" even though it quickly got rather dull.

Similarities:

MC has cheat skill that helps them with farming/crafting
MC wins over powerful beings via cooking
MC has multiple women unilaterally decide that they are going to live with him
There is a war between humans and demons happening in the background
Dungeons are a kind of natural resource generator

Differences:

Buy Land (so far) is about a single farm; Farming Life quickly turned into a village (and now basically a kingdom)
Buy Land's MC has to get seeds for his crops; Farming Life's MC can get anything he can envision
Farming Life has a kind of gross "all the women are sleeping with the MC because they want babies" plot thread
Farming Life has such a huge cast that most characters don't have much depth. Including the MC and the original female leads
Farming Life doesn't really do anything with the ongoing war between humans and demons; Buy Land looks like it's about to get entangled in it
Farming Life's MC rarely gets to do anything that isn't till fields or make small crafts

At the moment, I prefer Buy Land to Farming Life. The characters are more interesting, and the smaller cast means it's easier to keep track of who's who. Plus I don't have to feel gross about all the women who think they need to offer themselves to the MC or want him to repopulate their race.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

khy posted:

This feels practically identical to 'Farming Life in Another World'. MC has mastery over tools (One tool in FLIAW, any tool in this one), has women literally throwing themselves at him to be his bride, rules over monsters, is friends with and also far more powerful than the monsters who are all legendarily strong, etc.

So I'm still reading Let's Buy the Land And Cultivate in Different World and honestly it just keeps outdoing Farming Life at every turn.

1) None of the other women are trying to marry the MC
2) The lolli dragon is treated like a precocious child instead of a love interest
3) There's no tired jokes about how the MC is forced to sleep with everyone
4) Even though the MC has become OP through befriending all the most powerful beings in the world, he's still just good-naturedly bumbling through each crisis

If I had any complaints, it would be that it feels a little too sitcomish at times. However sometimes it's nice to have a series that's just not too serious, even with the forever war between humans and demons going on in the background.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Nalin posted:

Tearmoon Empire Story

The Empire falls and Princess Mia gets her head chopped off, only to awaken back when she was younger while holding her bloody diary. This time, the utterly selfish and pea-brained princess will desperately struggle to avoid all things guillotine related in her life.

I like this one a lot and I've read both light novel volumes, but sadly the manga isn't updated that often.

Tearmoon Empire is a real good. The second volume of the LN is a little weaker than the first, but that's largely because it feels more like the 2nd part of a whole arc rather than being a standalone story on its own. I am curious to see how volume 3 will turn out!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

darkgray posted:

Bit sad to learn that Ookami wa Nemuranai (Wolf Won't Sleep) seems to have been cancelled both as LN (vol 4) and manga (ch 16). The web novel is still continuing until the end, presumably, but I had the impression at least the manga was doing pretty well.

Well, that's disappointing. I could deal with one being cancelled, but both really sucks since I generally haven't had good luck with web novel translations.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

thetoughestbean posted:

I was scrolling through MangaDex when I found “Filming Adult Videos In Another World”, translated by AnCap Translations. Will update on if it’s as trash as it seems

It’s actually pretty funny and way less ecchi than I expected from a series with that premise.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

thetoughestbean posted:

It was definitely a lot funnier than I expected

It has lots of great little gags:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

lmao at this

the basic premise is that people get isekai'd to this completely generic fantasy world with rpg systems all the time, for no reason, and they are fundamentally inferior to any random native inhabitant because of their limited access to those systems. oh, except for the mc, he is actually super awesome at everything and doesn't have to deal with any of those downsides, all for no particular reason. also, every woman he meets instantly becomes completely obsessed with him what with how awesome he is. so, it's not like the mc has much of an issue with prejudice. what is even the point of making a setting with such a twist and then immediately contradicting it to tell a bog standard isekai story with no noteworthy aspects?

Just to clarify, the isekai'd people suck because they're not allowed to advance past level 1, so if they waste their limited skill points on random stuff they're boned since they can never grow. The MC dodged this fate by spending 10% of his skill points on "Limit Break", which lets him advance past level 1.

I actually like the receptionist being all over him, just because she's straight up "he's going to be famous and I want to ride that gravy train out of this job" which is an amusing change from the usual type of girl throwing themselves at a milquetoast MC.

The rest of it has been pretty standard "op guy accidentally overachieves because he doesn't know better" fare, but with these tiny 10 page "chapters" we're barely into his second day in this world.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Brought To You By posted:

Interesting series popped up on MD. An Active Hunter in Hokkaido has been Thrown into a Different World. Unique for no other reason than the MC wasn't hit by a truck, he was mauled to death by a bear. :black101:. Now he's stuck in a fantasy world with only his wits, his hunting know how, and a pump action shotgun. Also his cheat ability is straight up just capitalism

Remember to always shop at Bass Pro Shop Outdoor Land.

I think it's the receipt that takes it from "eh, seen this before" to "ok, this is kind of funny".

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

It's even better when I realized that The goddess is giving the MC her employee discount. He comments on the price of an individual round being lower than the normal market value and the goddess has more or less been confirmed to be working at the shop he gets supplies from.

I just got to that part, and I agree. I also like the fact that he communicates with the goddess through his walkie-talkie.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

RangerKarl posted:

The man died saving a kid, he's probably one of the few isekai MCs that actually deserve the harem treatment in his afterlife.

To be fair, I don't think this is a harem series. So while it's a bit rushed, I'm ok with skipping some of the preamble and getting right to "hunting adventures with my elf wife".

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Nemo2342 posted:

To be fair, I don't think this is a harem series. So while it's a bit rushed, I'm ok with skipping some of the preamble and getting right to "hunting adventures with my elf wife".

Well they definitely have an "adventure"

Also still loving that the Goddess works part-time at the hunting goods' store.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

gwrtheyrn posted:

Overall the story isn't that bad as far as I remember, but the main character never really outgrows being a massive pervert. Basically what I'm saying is you can do a lot worse for popular isekais of that age.

I found his constant sexual assaults on underage girls to be pretty off-putting.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

TheFlyingLlama posted:

I know for a fact in the WN he eventually loses his virginity to his girlfriend, only for her to leave the next day, which gives him ED. He then spends most of the next arc trying to find an ED treatment while also using a pair of her panties as a religious icon to worship.

I...hope the manga softens that?

It does not. After chapters and chapters of trying to get with her, they finally have sex (his girlfriend is his cousin and they're both underage), and she ditches him the next day. That's when I dropped the series so I can't tell you if he used the panties as a religious icon, but he definitely had ED because she ditched him.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

doomrider7 posted:

Jesus reading it over again, this is like a loving compilation of the worst and loving trashes aspects of isekai and animein general all rolled into one.

Thanks for digging that up; I really didn't want to have to go look some of that stuff up again in the manga for the next time someone asks why the series is awful.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

khy posted:

Well, if you're going to look at that one, be warned. There's... a LOT of slavery. I never finished or caught up because of many things about it irritating me (The most annoying comic relief characters, the MC being a slave magnet, and so on). Every so often I start to read it again and give up.

It's a ridiculous amount of slavery too; both the MC and one of the other characters end up with multiple slaves who *for really dumb reasons* decide to keep being slaves, even when they've been told they will be freed the moment they want to be.

I don't mind the comic relief characters as much, just because I keep thinking there is surely going to be a twist to how they're able to bumble into all of these places.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

I remember getting recommended a monster taming isekai where the MC uses it on the Goddess that gave him the cheat skill version in the first place as his first action; played for as a joke and idle curiosity. He never did anything creepy with it in the chapters I read but I wouldn't be surprised if something happens down the line.

You're thinking of Isekai Monster Breeder. So far he hasn't done anything creepy to the women yet, but he has expanded his harem to include a demoness (who can also live inside the pokeball with the goddess).

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Hunter isekai has an update

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Nalin posted:

Nobody in this comic knows how to row a boat.

EDIT: Nevermind. They're chasing?

What do you want, it's a gun manga, not a boat manga!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

khy posted:

Isekai is like Junk Food. It's fun to read and even though I know it's not good I can't help but indulge because it's trashy and fun.

This is how I'm now following 200+ series (in my defense I think over half of them have quietly stopped updating).

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

uh, that one was fine at first and then it became mostly about adult women lusting after a little boy. it's unquestionably shotacon.

I just read through it, and while it was ok at first it kind of lost me when the MC was sitting there absorbed in learning new magic while everyone else is getting their asses kicked. I'm sure it will come out in the next chapter that he needs this new magic, but it just kind of struck a wrong chord with me given how OP he already is.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Onean posted:

I came across a WN that piqued my interest and sitting right there in the first chapter was this:

Ahahahaha, gently caress off. Thanks for putting that right out front though, since it means I won't waste any time. (The WN is Maid Will Go on Through Thick and Thin! just to save anyone else time if they see it.)

It’s always good when they let you know upfront that they’re garbage so you can go read something else.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

This one popped up on my radar; Isekai Mokushiroku Mynoghra. Story goes that a sickly kid passes away and gets isekai'd to a world where he can use his RTS skills, but for real as he was the best in the world. Of course he played the requisite evil race and rather than a goddess he has a hero unit from the game as his companion and tag-along so reminiscent of Overlord. Story hits some familiar beats like conscripting a destitute race into the fold and at least there's a laugh or two about a well adjusted kid playing the part of the "God of Ruin" about as well as you'd expect. His partner fills that role out for him though.

I'm enjoying this. It's got a nice combination of comedy and brutality so far, and I appreciate the pairing of a "nice" PC paired with a ruthless NPC (and unlike Overlord you don't have to deal with the PC trying to act cool).

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

the joke is that his aide wanted to bring in people the guy would find non-threatening to help with his communication disorder, but phrased it in the worst possible way.

Sensible solutions phrased the worst-way possible is the hallmark of this manga (and I love it).

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Fellis posted:

hell of a comic to bring this thread back with, well done

e: since we are back, there are two RTS isekais that both feature the MC coming back as the leader of an evil faction, both are updating again

Her Majesty's Swarm: https://mangadex.org/title/559be949-4475-4f06-b8bf-a1a7343489bc/her-majesty-s-swarm
Where the MC is basically isekai'd as Kerrigan and leads a zerg-like race, is losing sanity being connected to the hivemind and slaughtering everyone

Isekai Apocalypse: https://mangadex.org/title/6e156d65...isation-of-ruin
The MC is isekai'd as the leader of an evil civilization with good hero units and does diplomacy (and murders)

I couldn't stomach Her Majesty's Swarm, but I really like Isekai Apocalypse. It helps that there's a fair bit of comedy with the MC being scary looking but super awkward.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Nemo2342 posted:

I couldn't stomach Her Majesty's Swarm, but I really like Isekai Apocalypse. It helps that there's a fair bit of comedy with the MC being scary looking but super awkward.

Just to circle back to this a bit, I picked up the 1st volume of the Isekai Apocalypse LN (2nd volume releases next Friday) and it's really solid. It covers the events up through chapter 8.3 of the manga, and is a bit more explicit about things that were too subtle for me to catch there. Also for a LitRPG, it's very restrained in how it throws out game elements; they're mostly confined to little unit card/encyclopedia entries that cap off chapters.

Novel things that either I missed in the manga or haven't been covered:

1) While the MC is the best player in the game, he's actually never finished the game with the "Peace" ending despite being a pacifist who focuses on domestic affairs. Inevitably he's unable to maintain relations with other nations and ends up conquering the world instead.
2) Something is messing with both the MC and Atou. Atou has noted that he's not bothered by things that should concern him as a normal modern-day person, and the MC has noted that Atou seems unable to think independently.
3) The encyclopedia cards confirm that Atou is in fact classified as one of the Witches, and that there can only be 7 witches in the world at one time.
4) Due to the fact that the Witches appeared around the same time the MC did, he strongly suspects that they are Hero units of other players leading Evil nations. This is not a good thing, because the other Evil nations want to destroy the world, while he wants to build a nation for himself and Atou.
5) Several of his units are straight-up Lovecraft monsters. Shoggoth and Mi-go are both mentioned as things he can create.

I'm excited for the next volume, because it should go well-past where the manga is right now (and I am already reading too many webnovels to pick up another).

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

You weren't wrong about it being horny; I wasn't quite expecting the regular scenes of him having sex with his wife. Once you get past that (and the obligatory amount of female secondary characters to provide cheesecake) it wasn't a bad series. The MC is fairly normal and not as bland as your average isekai protagonist, and I did enjoy everyone's reactions whenever he whips out his silly minecraft powers.

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Fantasy story where a dude gets Oda Nobunaga as his job
https://mangadex.org/title/01604e79...o-ni-shimashita

This one felt kind of underwhelming; there was a lot of telling and not enough showing about how awesome these skills were. The interactions with the ghost of Nobunaga was at least somewhat amusing though.

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Isekai where the protag is dumped in an inhospitable place and becomes an OP edgelord
https://mangadex.org/title/737c292b-5b97-41bb-8b04-51bcc945f7a7/garbage-brave

This one went from 0 to edgelord in a hurry. It does get better when he buys a slave (yeah, I know) and despite everything he's not quite the rear end in a top hat he envisions himself to be.

Seraphic Neoman posted:

VVV Bud I can't help it when scanlators are loving weird people.[/url]

One of the more headache inducing ones I saw was the group translating Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear who called themselves "Failure at Grammar" and abbreviated it just the way you think they would.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Nitrousoxide posted:

Honestly, this one is pretty bleh, but I do dig the cyclops girl who is having none of his bullshit OP powers.

Cyclops girl going apeshit whenever he does something is one of the better gags.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Seraphic Neoman posted:

I'm holding out hope this one is gonna go somewhere because the writer does Nobunaga's character really well and the resolutions have been fairly satisfying. It's written by the dude who wrote the isekai about the witch killing slimes, so it's got some good pedigree.

I followed it in the hope that maybe things will pick up once he's done with his own province and moves on to conquering the rest of the world, because so far it's felt kind of prologueish. Though being by the author of killing slimes for 100 years doesn't give me a lot of hope in him actually going anywhere with the plot.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Bad isekai list:

Isekai Cheat Magic Swordsman - If anyone asks you "so what do you mean when you say 'generic isekai'?" just show them this travesty. It's so painfully by-the-numbers it's not even funny.
https://readmanganato.com/manga-ja986557

Class Saiyasune de Urareta Ore wa, Jitsu wa Saikyou Parameter - Notable for at one point having 2.5/5 in the hugbox which is Novel Updates (this is a site where you won't find average ratings lower than 1.5), this story starts with a slave auction and just gets worse from that point.
https://mangadex.org/title/9d4311a4-7ad0-4fce-bf80-6c19ba37fb47/class-saiyasune-de-urareta-ore-wa-jitsu-wa-saikyou-parameter

Kyoukai Meikyuu To Ikai No Majutsushi - ISEKAI SPEEDRUN ANY % COMPETITION DONATE NOW
https://manganato.com/manga-ce979561

1) I'm actually still reading Isekai Cheat Magician for some reason. I definitely remember describing it to my friend as "isekai paint-by-number" because it felt like it was just ticking off the boxes, yet somehow it never got terrible enough for me to drop it.

2) I started reading Kyoukai Meikyuu this morning, and I dropped it after getting about halfway through it. I know we often complain about isekais having 0 tension, but this one really seems dedicated to avoiding tension at all costs. And it really does speedrun everything; only took 9 chapters for him to have two fiances, as opposed to the usual 30 chapters of the MC being dense about all the girls who want to sleep with him.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Nalin posted:

Isekai Cheat Magician is different from Isekai Cheat Magic Swordsman. But you aren't wrong about it being generic.

I was actually thinking of Isekai Cheat Magic Swordsman, but it's good to know that there are more Isekai Cheat Magic Whatevers and they're all painfully generic.

For my own contribution, I present Kuro No Shoukanshi. It's another one in the speedrunning vein, where the pacing is just ridiculously hectic. Unlike Kyoukai Meikyuu though it at least tries to pretend that there's some kind of tension, since the OP MC is a battle junkie constantly jumping into dangerous fights. What really drags it down though is that it absolutely loves to use violence against women as the way to signpost who the bad guys are.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Fellis posted:

This isn’t the bad isekai thread, it’s the any isekai thread. If you go “this isekai is wholesome, but…” just post it here and not there.

Like the one where they guy lives in the plains and builds a community of outcasts and animal people is good, but he marries a much younger woman. He has completely acknowledged her age (i dont recall if she’s under 18 or just younger, whatever it sucks) and has no intention of doing anything with her. But that’s enough to disqualify it from the other thread even though otherwise its very nice.

Now most non-wholesome isekai are loving garbage so yeah in that regard this is the bad thread. But I’d also put excessive gore, MC doing questionable murders, and horny in this category. Slime manga recently did a mass-murder and people didn’t seem ripped up about that, but I think that’s not wholesome. I’d also put Moonlit Fantasy and Eminence in Shadows here and I think those are pretty good.

E: I like that thread also btw. I think it should be really confined to the villianess/otome isekai and slow-life isekai that usually keep it under control, there are enough of those.

The one about the guy in the plains is Ryoumin 0-nin Start no Henkyou Ryoushusama. She's 15 and he's 35 at the start, and as you mentioned he's 100% against doing anything with her until she's of-age because he's a good guy almost to a fault. It would otherwise 100% be considered wholesome as it doesn't have any issues with slavery, misogyny, or even a lot of the indiscriminate murders. Frankly I really wish they would do a time skip because her age hasn't really been any kind of major plot point, except to make the readers feel a little weirded out when it does pop up.

Personally my bar for wholesome is pretty low, which is probably due to how dire this genre can be at times. All I want is no misogyny, no buying/keeping slaves by the MC, and the horny to be kept between consenting adults.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

AtomikKrab posted:

I think it was really a deliberate choice for the ages because it is meant to illustrate cultural differences, I believe in her culture, SHE is considered a fully grown and functional adult woman. Not saying from my personal cultural perspective I would have the same view, but I have to take courses of cultural competency as part of my job, and part of that is to always remember that different cultures have different viewpoints and we should not try to impose our personal viewpoints on other people.

Also there are mysterious magical rear end sheep. The Sheep decide their leadership via a singing contest

Yeah, that is fair. The ages are definitely an intentional plot point, and it certainly says something about the MC that while he is more than willing to adopt a number of cultural practices from his neighbors when it comes to living in the area, he refuses to just go "well, when in Rome" with his wife who his kingdom would consider to be underage. Especially when he's both the local authority figure and so far removed from his king that he could easily just do whatever he wanted. It's generally not treated as either a joke or an excuse to do underage cheesecake, which is why I am happy to recommend it to people (unlike a lot of the other trash I read).

That being said it still makes me a little uncomfortable, just because it's hard not to be waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Seraphic Neoman posted:

I started reading these because they're fun popcorn fluff and I needed something to cheer me up during quarantine.

There's definitely something comforting about being able to turn off your brain and plow through a totally inoffensive (and often totally average) isekai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

khy posted:

Do not forget to indulge in some KOREAN Isekai from time to time.

https://dungeon-reset.com/ - Dungeon Reset is the korean version of 'Minecraft Isekai'. TL;DR - Dude gets isekai'ed into a dungeon death game. Falls in a trap and is bleeding out while the rest of his team beats the boss and earns a complete heal. Survives thanks to the complete heal, but gets bugged when everyone else leaves the level and he's left behind. Dungeon resets for the next isekai group and he has to PUNCH DIRT to survive. Then the usual korean grind-mindset sets in and poo poo goes bonkers.

This one gets real dumb in the best ways, though lately (at least as of the last chapter on mangadex, which is a couple behind that site) it's kind of felt like it's been spinning its wheels a bit. Still a fun read if you like MC's who do dumb poo poo and has it work out.

khy posted:

As for a good JP isekai I like a lot :

https://mangadex.org/title/958e98b6-c63c-4309-b912-d91a0c9f12e1/manuke-na-fps-player-ga-isekai-e-ochita-baai - A Stupid FPS Player Falls to Another World. MC is playing a VRMMO FPS game and falls off the map. Somehow transported to another world, can summon guns and poo poo. I personally like it for two reasons - 1) it doesn't pull punches with violence, death, and gore. 2) (MAJOR spoiler for the latest chapters) The MC actually finds out he can't return to Earth because he's dead, and instead of going "Oh well guess I'll just live here then" he actually has a real legit panic attack and existential crisis that does a lot to humanize him that other series lack

I enjoyed this one, because FPS Isekai is a bit of a different take for me. And it does end up doing a better job of humanizing your typical OP protagonist than other series do.