Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Brought To You By posted:

It's been maybe a decade, but isn't Zanarkrad a dream or is Titus just a dream? I know the plot dips into some lovecraftian stuff with Sin and all that somewhere down the line.

IIRC, Titus' Zanarkand and all of its residents are the summon of a giant fayth created by survivors of the original Zanarkand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
There's a 5-story anthology being put out on a daily basis this week about would-be villainesses. Kinda predictable, but the stories thus far have managed to put smiles on my face.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Brought To You By posted:

Not sure how this is Isekai, but hey. This has convinced me that one day I should play an Otome game just to see why subverting this idea villainess being a bad person has gotten so popular.

Most villainess stories have a protagonist who reincarnated into the world, usually with "awakening to memories of the past life" that includes the plot of the game, or at least genre knowledge.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Jackard posted:

Uhh maybe this? That's not a helpful description really, lotta things get called 'dark souls' nowadays

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of when I told Artificer that if it wasn't Re:Zero he should try this thread instead.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Any other stories about a dude who wants to gently caress swords? Or other psuedo-inanimate objects?

Kandachime was about being the bone(r) of your sword.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Konstantin posted:

I know this is probably old news, but I saw a physical copy of everybody's favorite shield-based isekai for sale at Walmart. No idea it had that kind of mainstream appeal.

I've heard a ton of people in voice chat and on discords talking about it since the anime came out, probably more than any other anime, even JoJo's.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Vtuber thread crossover: Amelia Watson is currently reading the story of ADTRW's second favorite war criminal, I Shall Survive Using Potions.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Captain Invictus posted:

I feel like I remember people recommending a series about a skeleton warrior, possibly adventuring, possibly more laid back, but I do recall there being one people were consistently excited about with a skeleton as the mc or one of the mcs. Any ideas?

Aside from the ones already mentioned, there's The Skeleton Who Was The Brave, which is more on the whimsical action side.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

CubeTheory posted:

Hello Isekai thread, I'm CubeTheory, and I've been watching Isekai. Some of you may know me from one of the SA Discord servers, but I've been on a journey to watch as much fantasy isekai as I can as inspiration for an isekai tabletop rpg campaign I've been running. Over the last few months I've watched the following shows: (asterisks indicate they are currently running)

I'm looking for suggestions of things to add to this list. I may eventually shift to manga or web novels, but right now I'm really looking for anime as it makes sense for my current lifestyle.

Once you're ready for manga, try Saihate no Paladin (The Faraway Paladin). The anime adaptation was not good, but the manga is fantastic, aside from some weak backgrounds in the earlier parts.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Onean posted:

It's literally just the first page. Everything after that is fine. Just...that first page.

There's a bit more in ch. 4.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Mordecai posted:

I noticed this in (both episodes I watched of) Shield Hero as well -- both are using matriarchal societies as plot points, but only on a surface level.

The manga for Mob does eventually touch on why the society is structured that way. I don't think it's particularly accurate to say that most authority figures in Mob are male; the men we see are largely children of the aristocracy, but within households they are still going to be subservient to their wives or masters. Men can also be chattel.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Mordecai posted:

Well, which authority figures are you thinking of? The kingdom faction leaders are a marquis, duke, and king. Oh, and it's called a kingdom. If the first two have wives pulling their strings it hasn't been on camera. The queen's been more of a backroom dealmaker but I'm not sure which one is in the royal line.

The queen was who I was thinking of, yes. I'm not sure if the term rendered in English as kingdom was intended to carry the connotations that you seem to be assigning it, and even in our world the United Kingdom still retained that name under long-serving Queens.

quote:

Over in the enemy country there's been male knights and fleet leaders. It's their job to go die in war, so fair enough, but it makes them more active in the story. I'll reserve judgement about the two princesses until their scheme comes to fruition, but so far they've just schemed against dumbasses and used a magic flute.

The other county doesn't have the same rules; the matriarchal rules were a system specifically set up in the kingdom to control the nobility and the use of their military power (esp. the airships iirc).

Edit: Also, I think part of the point was that the whole society was designed to create the possibility of a reverse harem ending for a (bad) otome game, often without deeper thought put into it.

Paracelsus fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 6, 2023

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Captain Invictus posted:

Also eminence in shadow IS unironically good

The manga is way better at presenting the plot and characters.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Kwyndig posted:

Some styles of cooking are necessarily complex though, if you're primarily cooking for survival you're not going to invent puff pastry or Beef Wellington for example. This presumes a pretty sad state of affairs for the world, but it is possible that nobody in your world invented French cuisine simply because nobody who had the resources to cook for the joy of it stumbled upon those recipes.

Wasn't a lot of French cuisine developed to cover up meat that was starting to go bad?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
In every place, in every age, the deeds of posters remain the same...

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Elite posted:

It isn’t limited to just villainess stories, the exact same castle has to appear in every Manhwa ever, like Castle Dracula drifting across the universe appearing wherever the gently caress it wants. It’s the Wilhelm Scream of medieval architecture.

It even has a name, Castle-nim.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
It helps that the series pre-dates the ossification of the genre tropes, so the plot isn't rote, and that Rudy isn't the fulcrum of the universe or a walking WMD.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ The most common angle can best be summed up as a sort of support for "noblesse oblige." The nobility are still treated as inherently better by default, but sometimes there are Bad Apples who tar the name of other nobility and don't deserve their status (and even then, they're often still better looking, etc, than their commoner counterparts).

I'm not sure that's more common than "nobility are all/mostly/frequently corrupt assholes, typically fat or weaselly looking with stupid moustaches and a tendency to bluster impotently as the protag shows them up."

The "better looking" part to an extent can make sense, as they'll have had better access to nutrition, hygiene, cosmetics, chances to physically train for aesthetics rather than workplace utility, etc.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nemo2342 posted:

Just looking at the description, it sounds very similar to the story where the guy reincarnates as some kind of space noble but all his lovely villainous plans end up being seen as positive since they're downright compassionate compared to the other terrible nobles.

Evil Lord of an Intergalactic Empire?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Kvantum posted:

The last two episodes of S2 of the anime covered this material.

IMO they didn't do a very good job, the cave in the anime was not as good a setting for the fight and the dragon's design was worse, so it had a lot less impact.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

mycot posted:

The thing about acrylic merchandise is that it's usually bought by fans who know that specific character/series is not going to get anything "bigger". It's kind of a poor man's merch on both ends.

Imagine only getting a 2% cut of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Clarste posted:

Where did this whole idea of doppelganger slimes come from anyway? I feel like I've seen it fairly regularly in more recent works.

Probably an uptick since people played Elden Ring.