Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jackard posted:

in that isekai, the cheats transmigrators typically receive are a form of psychic malware that turns you into a horrible person

a few classmates miss out on this "super fun upgrade" due to having divine protection or something better

https://mangadex.org/title/24281/sokushi-cheat-ga-saikyou-sugite-isekai-no-yatsura-ga-marude-aite-ni-naranai-n-desu-ga

Well, the only thing that could make One Punch Man more powerful is if he could just do it on sight, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Argue posted:

Goddammit I thought the fantasy toilet thing was a joke made up by this thread but I guess I should have learned by now

After learning about the one where someone turns into a hot spring, nothing is unbelievable now.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

My definitions of Isekai are chaotic and uncomprehensible.

Futurama is not an Isekai.
Back to the Future is not an Isekai.
Terminator is not an Isekai.

Space Jam is an Isekai.
Alice in Wonderland and the Wizard of Oz are Isekais.

I think they only really count if they're more like 'another dimension than just another world. Week to week, I don't think Star Trek counts as an isekai, for example.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nathilus posted:

Who Framed Roger Rabbit isn't isekai but Cool World is.

The first part of Neverending Story isnt isekai but the second part is.

Mario the games are isekai but the movie isn't.

These facts however are not chaotic or incomprehensible. They are clear and well reasoned.

DOOM is an Isekai

Dragon Tales is an Isekai

The Matrix... Hmmm, well... Hmm, I'll call that one an Isekai too.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

Tron was the movie you were looking for.

The beginning of Kingdom Hearts 2 is an isekai.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ever had a dream where you're in an episode of popular fictional universe?

Congratulations, that's an isekai in your mind.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Does Time Travel count as an Isekai?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Persona games are Isekai

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Solo Leveling also had some weird falling out on Mangadex and now it goes from chapter 1 to 75 so if you wanna read all the chapters use this website

https://manganelo.com/manga/pn918005

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Venuz Patrol posted:

i think solo leveling mostly does a good job of supplying an absurd teen power fantasy while avoiding the absolutely rancid misogyny most other entries in the genre are filled to the brim with

lol at the girl who is disgusted at the smell of male adventurers but is mysteriously attracted to the protagonist, tho

That's a really obtuse way of looking at it.

It's every adventurer. Anyone who fights monsters regularly loving reeks aside from him because of his weird second awakening/gamer position.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah, the guy's too monstrous for me to want to keep following any more of the manga personally.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Spanish Matlock posted:

Slaves have been mentioned in passing. The main character has so far purchased zero, but notably did not set out to immediately end the institution of slavery with fireballs.

Fallorn posted:

MC would also get completely wrecked if he tried to do that right now. He needs more growth by slaughter of monsters first.

This is why isekai that start with the MC having powers that're otherworldly for where they end up are so neat.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I was just assuming it was someone from Fullmetal Alchemists.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

As much as I like Roy Mustang he doesn't rate high enough on the scale to outweigh his "participation in a genocide".

Well hey, that's ignoring all the other characters that were involved!

But yeah, none of them carry it with the same aplomb that Vegeta does.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

bashing rats is how 50% of all isekai adventurers get started!

Isekai'd but oops you're playing a randomizer.

Those rats? Yeah, sorry buddy, but those are actually golems in the speedy bodies of vermin as far as you're concerned. The wolves are slimes, the bears are hawks, that minotaur is just a skeleton in power.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I hope he played Phantom Pain before they decided to be killjoys and take away all the fun gun customization.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

Wait WHAT?!

That was like... the whole point of grinding

I meant the fun ways you could gently caress with the game when it was an accident, like silenced grenades, box magazines on pistols, hitscan suppressed rocket launcher that acts essentially as a rail gun, stuff like that that only existed because of a bug in the game not the entire customization feature.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ElBrak posted:

Kuroki Gensai Big Boss travels through isekai worlds, reforming lovely main characters by beating the poo poo out of them with CQC and making fun of their impractical weapons and skills and reminding them to focus on their fundementals.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DoubleDonut posted:

what if baseball was war, and also God was a big baseball fan

Here it is as a link, because this will definitely become a problem for people on mobile

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm still new to the genre so my examples are still Inuyasha and Digimon.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Argas posted:

is monster taming slavery

depends. starting off, with the rabbits and slimes and wolves and stuff, probably not

but dragons would be a hard yes

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Imagining She-Hulk crashing into that world like a meteor and the universe folding on itself because even this fantasy world- I'm assuming that has magic, dragons, etc etc- cannot exist if the women are not all small and harmless like Alice in Wonderland.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

There was a translator group working on a bunch of stories like that but I can't remember the name of them anymore.

I'll recommend Solo Leveling

A story of stat leveling and monsters. It's like a reverse isekai where all of it occurs in little dungeon raids into portals that take you to different environments. The story starts with MC barely scraping by as the bottom of the barrel weakest member of the guild doing his best to keep being brought along into dungeon dives just to barely break even. And then they find a double dungeon and barely manage to escape while he dies just as the mission is complete and starts managing to claw his way up to being semi-competent to superhuman and then beyond. The art style is fantastic and the fact that it's weekly just blows me away because I can't imagine maintaining that quality constantly.

And also A Returner's Magic Should Be Special

I skipped this one for a long time because the title didn't grab me but this is the manga I'm most excited to read. It's a fantasy story of the main character trying to prevent the apocalypse coming and wiping out humanity (Or quite as much of it) by uniting nobles and commoners to get everyone better training and education so that when the dragon shows up, they don't have to rely on the 6 phenomenally strong people on the planet already to bear most of the weight as everyone dies around them. It's really fun to read because while he's got foreknowledge of what's going to happen, he's still hamstrung by lack of equipment and just not having a huge mana pool to cast incredible spells like everyone else. I'll be honest, even though I like it a lot, I don't really have a complete grasp on how the magic system works. I think if you analyze a spell then you can cast it in return even if it's above your circle level.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The junk collector posted:

I haven't read returner because the name and cover art made me think it was going to have a completely different premise than that. I'll give it a shot.

AnxiousSloth posted:

I can't recommend this comic enough, the characters are pretty great, and the MC isn't an awful person like a lot of protagonists. The setting and the story is fun, especially for the first 100 chapters or so. I personally am getting a bit bored of the current storyline, but when the comic is on, it is really on.

Yeah I'm not an editor and I'm really bad at summarizing things succinctly. The initial arc of the story is getting a lot of plate spinning. He's got to earn awards and notoriety as a commoner so that we he's trying to get people to trust his judgement and start raising concerns about the class segegation and quality of learning nobles and commoners are getting people actually listen. And get a team set up and make sure that people who died early on get more skills and training earlier to prevent that. And prepare for the Shadow World challenges (Basically dungeon dives into a moment of history with a quest to achieve that the school gives them as exams) so they get those artifacts that he so desperately needs to stay competitive. It's a lot. The main reason why he's able to accomplish so much is because he was in the apocalypse for 10 years before everything reset so he's got way more experience than most of his peers even though he doesn't have the raw magical energy of most mages. That and he's one of the best magic analysts on that hemisphere.

Thankfully the magic makes sense even though the spells just kinda come out of nowhere one after the other as they counteract each other. So it's not a case of boulder vs meteor as it is fog of war vs wind sniping. And don't worry, the rest of the group is also great it's not all about the main character.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'm not gonna read another mori kouji manga, but who is the surprise villain?

It has to be the meteor that killed the dinosaurs and wrecked the planet right?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Found a good one but it only has 4 chapters. An alchemist, a cook and a prisoner of war crash-land on an island. They must use their skills to survive:
https://mangadex.org/title/0b7f8a9f-091d-4fcf-9577-8c2e59b2379a/renkinjutsu-mujintou-survival

Oh this is cool, I love when manga add little diagrams of actual things.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't really think of many Final Fantasy villain groups but I'm surprised they decided to bring them back of all things.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ianmacdo posted:

John Brown gets isekai'd into a fantasy world with stats and everything.

He gacha summons Harriet Tubman as a tank.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ElMaligno posted:

Thank you.

1) My current plan is to keep this short, so speed running John Brown appearance makes sense.
2) John Brown is basically, for lack of a better word, a stand. He doesn't have any powers, but he is there to be a mentor and teacher. As an author writing John Brown as the Doom Slayer would be amazing, but this is not his fight.

Well that sounds like Yu-Gi-Oh then.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ElMaligno posted:

Yes, except John Brown will respect the sovereignty of the MC's body and probably never take over.

It's the closest comparison I could come up with since they're kind of a ghost that hangs out in the protagonist's mind and gives them advice.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

pnumoman posted:

Terry Pratchett was the only Terry that raised me

?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's probably too violent for the wholesome thread but did you like Reincarnated as a Sword?

Do you wish it was a double isekai? Check out this spin off!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lock Knight posted:

But how can the audience indulge in lizard brain power fantasies when the main character has emotional reactions other than "Hell yeah, I'm awesome and win all the time!"

(Faraway Paladin is one of my favorite things).

Sounds like they should get into Sonic (He is not allowed to lose anymore)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rudoku posted:

Ken Penders made everyone involved with Sonic go bug-gently caress crazy. That loving crying Sonic comic...

ConanThe3rd posted:

And yet for everything, Sega's half-assed under-parenting was infinity less obnoxious than their current half-assed over-parenting.

I have to imagine that lawsuit is why they're so weird now. As far as I can tell, they're the only series with animal protagonists that don't have a nailed down world where they all live on and regularly interact. It's either them and humans like Adventure, 06, Black Knight and Unleashed or there's just levels like Generations. I guess the Sonic Boom game is the closest they've gotten to that but that thing must've been kicked down the totem pole so much that they had their E team working on it.

Even Pokemon will make a spinoff and only show Pokemon and 0 humans compared to that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Konstantin posted:

Already happened, It's called Pokemon Mystery Dungeon.

Right, that's my point.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

I would not doubt that there's some isekai buried on a website about just this scenario. I will not go looking for it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB1GosykLuM&t=581s

And there's probably been Spider-Man stories of him having just a little bit of Symbiote on him and having to fight off his evil leg or something at points in the comic or something.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy tea

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

There's a lotta Digimon being skipped in that list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

What was that goblin/orc village manga where they're fighting a kingdom? One of the latest chapters was him summoning a meteor via earth magic.