Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Captain Invictus posted:

that's not an isekai(he doesn't, but boy if he could, you bet he would)

No no, there's one where he literally fucks the anthropomorphic manifestation of his house (like, the spirit of the tree whose wood was used to build the house), who then gets pregnant and gives birth to baby houses nearby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

His power is very specifically designed to be absolutely unbeatable with no weaknesses whatsoever, almost like an intellectual exercise.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I think time travel can be isekai, but only if they never engage with the "changing the past" nature of it. If the time travel is just an excuse to hang out in a medieval or dinosaur world, then it's basically an isekai.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

My understanding is that Villainess stories are about as far removed from actual otome games as other Isekai stories are from actual fantasy settings. They're all making fun of some weird tropes that were never actually popular until everyone started copying them in isekai parodies.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah, the "reincarnated as the villainess" genre seems to have reached the point where actual reincarnation is optional.

Frankly so has the "fantasy world that is exactly like a video game with skill points and stuff" genre.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I don't like it because it's written by a guy who loathes otome games with his entire being yet apparently has no idea what they're like. Sounds like an anti-feminist tract, tbh.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

wanna know if there's any isekai where the main character tries to be all clever with stupid trash skills or whatever and discovers that in a world where everyone has been living with these rules for their entire lives, everyone's already figured out this bullshit

gimme an isekai where the MC tries to powergame and it turns out that there's like 8 other powergamers in every village pulling the exact same poo poo he is

I'd like that too. I usually find it implausible how many of these stories rely on people who've lived with these rules their entire lives having less understanding of them than some random outsider.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

It's worse for the VRMMO sub-genre because I'm expected to believe that either beta testers or current players don't have ample enough documentation for in-game skills that nobody figured out you can max CON and be utterly invincible. And even still, once someone managed to actually do it there aren't immediately copycats doing the same for the benefits or a patch to remove that from the game?

If you're talking about the recent anime, I'm pretty sure it's actually a part of the story that the devs keep nerfing the stuff she does and then she finds new ones.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Hypocrisy posted:

The real fantasy world is one where the dev team doesn't set their game on fire because a player is doing something they don't like.

Maple banned for using exploits.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Keep in mind that the translators get to write the descriptions on Mangadex.

From what I understand, it's just a story that's sympathetic to sex workers and approaches it a relatively mature way. Unlike the translators.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I'm guessing entirely from context and people being vaguely coy in this thread that she just fakes her death and takes over under a new name.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Nalin posted:

The Villainess Lives Twice

I love this one. The MC is, well, kind of evil. She was abused by her mother growing up and turned out pretty twisted and did some really, really horrible things to make her brother the Emperor before heavily paying the price for it. Coming to terms with how messed up she is and what she had done, she tries to sacrifice her life to turn back time to give the hero a second chance to save the Empire, but messes up and instead sends her memories back instead. So she vows to use her second chance to help the hero rise to power.

The MC in this is darker and more evil than other villainess-style MCs. She paired up with Mr. Righteous, so it will be interesting to see how this plays out in the future. Things are starting to pick up a bit now as she is finally beginning to execute her plans.

That one kind of reminds of The Villainess Reverses the Hourglass, although in another way they're kind of opposites too. Just like in that one the villainess was actually real villainess in her first life, although more of a petty, selfish, seductress type. Like she didn't ruin a country, but she did have her maid's tongue torn out for gossiping about her or whatever. In the end, her villainy comes back to bite her, but right before she's executed her step-sister confesses that she'd been manipulating her her whole life into playing the role of the "villain" so she could play the role of the long-suffering virtuous saintess for sympathy points.

So anyway, once the villainess finds herself back in time in her own younger body, instead of repenting for her villainy she just decides that she was outplayed and needs to go about it smarter this time. Which involves beating her sister at her own game and being even more kind and humble and intelligent (by using information from the future, etc), all for the sole purpose of embarrassing her sister and eventually taking everything from her (like her fiance, etc). So... instead of acting evil for the greater good like your example, she's acting nice for petty and spiteful reasons.

Eventually though she realizes that even by sucking up to people and manipulating everyone she'll never actually be respected because she's a woman in a patriarchal society, and so even if she plays the perfect good girl her only reward will be to get married off to some nobleman she's never met. So she tries to figure out how to become independent and start a business and stuff. It turns out society forcing woman into opposing madonna/whore archetypes was the real villainess all along. I dunno, I just found that an amusing direction to take her character.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 18, 2020

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

But what is sapience

Sapience is a loosely defined and arbitrary concept made up by philosophers in order to justify cruelty to animals. It's a slightly fancier and more secular way of saying that "animals have no souls" while also allowing that maybe some animals do have souls but we'll assume they don't until they prove it. There is no empirical basis for the concept whatsoever.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 2, 2021

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just read The Way To Protect The Female Lead's Brother and it left such an impression on me that I felt I had to share it. And it's definitely not wholesome.

Basically it's a villainess reincarnation story, except in this case the setting is that there's a family of, like, supervillains? They're all psychopaths with superpowers, because all the children are raised to ruthlessly plot against each other until only the strongest/smartest/most villainous survive. Anyway, in the original story they are eventually destroyed by the opposing heroic and noble family that the the heroine is from, so when our lead reincarnates as a daughter of the villainous family she tries to avoid that by preventing the tragedy that started it all: when her family kills the heroine's older brother who they kidnapped.

Anyway, none of that is really why I found it interesting. What's interesting is the fact that the lead is actually like a real villainess? The stuff about the "original story" rarely comes up, and at this point she doesn't even seem to care about it anymore. Just surviving in her household has forced her to act like a villainess: to be paranoid, to think of everyone else as either a risk or a tool, to take advantage of people's weaknesses, etc. So even though she's not as sadistic as her siblings, she still kind of ends up becoming the mask? Even by plotting against her family, she's becoming exactly the person they want her to be. Also she's a total badass with like evil blood butterfly powers.

Anyway, it's interesting as a reincarnation story where she actually, like, grows up as a different person rather than simply being a Japanese/Korean person living in a fantasy world.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Feb 5, 2021

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Halfway through the available chapters and I'm sold. This is the 2nd korean reincarnation series I'll be reading where the very capable lead keeps a collar around for her silver haired boy toy. A potential cultural kink aside I enjoyed the opening chapters and there's a good sense of dramatic flair with the introductions and very good art. The amount of detail on all the clothing is commendable. That praise aside I think this is relevant to regurgitate.

The narrative gains nothing from having the main character be aware of the script because of an isekai reincarnation save helping it aim high on whatever websites algorithm and rankings it was originally posted on. This would be a similar but minor complaint I have with the opening chapters of 'Is it Fortune Weal or is it Woe' because in both cases the justification the Main Character has for trying to avoid the bad-end route assigned to the character they inhabit could just as easily be explained by that character's tendencies.

For the first story; All that needs to be said is that Roxanne recognizes Kassis for his lineage and realizes her father went too far and is inviting all out war so she's fishing for an out. For the latter story Dylan just needs to be an overprotective sibling not ok with her younger sister marrying off to a relatively older man despite herself not being that into the idea of marriage. I don't think either of these ruin the narrative but it feels so token and tacked on; doubly so because in both cases the humans are so in tune with their fantasy counterparts mentality that there is no conflict of personality or actions. Roxanne isn't horrified by what she has to do to survive in her household because she used to be a normal person living a normal life.

Rather than having a problem with magic being simplified to video game terms to the point that it takes the "magic" out of the world, or the main character just waking up better than everyone else so there's no room for meaningful growth or conflict. This is the kind of frustration where it feels like the writer didn't have faith in the strength of their own premise so they add this isekai element to appeal to a wider audience and trick them into reading this otherwise good story.

While I can definitely see your point that if the isekai protagonist becomes too enmeshed in their new life then it kind of defeats the point, I also feel like a lot of reincarnation stories go the other way and kind of ignore the influence that growing up again as a new person would have on someone. Like they plop into the world as a complete person with all their Japanese values intact and these things will never change. If you talk to someone who actually believes in reincarnation for real, as a spiritual process, they will usually tell you that it's possible to recover memories of your past lives but also that that won't change who you are as a person. It's already "accounted for" as it were: your past self made you who you are in your next life. In a lot of these stories the characters end up as strangers in their own families which is just weird to me.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Wouldn't a pure Colombian power fantasy involve a ton of slavery though? That's what the man is famous for. Go to new world -> enslave everyone.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I really am going to enjoy this villainous story. Every time a new character shows up is magic

Because all but two people in this house are entirely horrible individuals.

And I love it. Just some thoughts about the rest Roxanne not having an indomitable position within the house is appreciated. Her brother Dion is clearly someone she has to tip-toe around and he mentioned something about the venom butterfly eggs that leads me to believe he knew the 1st one had hatched despite Roxanne hiding that from others. Maria and the other sibling are good chaotic elements and despite the Agriche Patriarch not doing much I suspect he's got some cards to play as well. I feel bad for Roxxie's mother though, how did a woman like her wind up in a house like that? The story doesn't have many characters but it's consistently engaging with what's there and seriously the author really enjoys giving people new outfits. I swear Roxxie has two new dresses every chapter. What with all the blood and stuff.

I just want to say that the latest chapter just came out and even though it contains the guy giving her a super dramatic kiss to save her life with his holy powers, most of the comments are just worried about the poor innocent flesh-eating butterfly familiars that need to feed on her poisonous blood. And I absolutely agree, I am super worried for those butterflies.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 8, 2021

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah. A lot of people in this topic (or the other one?) will say stuff like "this one's good because they kill all slavers on sight" and while I certainly can't say that slavers should be spared or whatever, the fact is that the writer only made them slavers in the first place because they wanted to introduce minor villains that the heroes can remorselessly slaughter. Ultimately it's just an excuse for violence, even moreso if they dwell on what the villains are doing first. Like, that's just double violence.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I mean, they keep doing it because the audience (and writers) like it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I mean, Harry Potter is basically isekai. Loser with no skills is suddenly brought to another magical world where everyone loves him for reasons that have nothing to do with anything he's done.

Edit: Also slavery, obviously.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Jomo posted:

I'll update once I get there; still a while away. I will say however, the whole "hey, if you cook food normally, like you always have in the real world, it doesn't taste bland compared to summoning it with magic" plot is real dumb. Like, wow guys, must really take 300+ IQ to think of testing that out.

Otherwise it's been filling that fun fantasy action itch for me.

IIRC, if you don't have enough cooking skill, then the food turns out bad even if you follow the recipe perfectly, which is what was confusing people.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Jackard posted:

This all sounds pretty weird out of context. Do the ingredients themselves taste fine and the automation just turns it into gruel?

It's an MMO, so the way it works is that you have ingredients in your inventory, click a button, and then it deletes those ingredients and creates a new "finished product" in your inventory. There's no, like, physical interaction between the objects, it all happens on a menu. And the resultant food item looks perfect but tastes like cardboard, because ultimately it's just an inventory icon.

And conversely, if you try to cook normally without the subclass/skill level, the dish just poofs into a designated failure item (burnt charcoal or whatever) no matter what you do.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 8, 2022

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I haven't kept up with it, but yeah, the whole point is that everyone else is more of a standard isekai protagonist and they're all absolutely awful.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Legally unwholesome isekai report!

https://mangadex.org/title/7f7d765f-3d87-41f9-908e-460b96449481/resetting-lady

Resetting Lady. A girl reincarnates as the protagonist of a novel with an otome game-like story. You know the drill, where she's supposed to steal the villainess's fiance and live happily ever after. But after living through the story as it was supposed to go, she's murdered the very next day after the book's ending, and resets to one year ago. Then she lives out that same year over a hundred times, Groundhog's Day style, always getting murdered after one year no matter what she does, and by different people depending on her choices. So in this latest loop she decides to break the story entirely by killing literally everyone, one at a time. I mean, it can't get any worse, right? So, yeah, an otome isekai about a serial killer.

Honestly I might even describe it as wholesome by isekai standards, but one character gets called a g*psy by the villainess, and given the circumstances I can't tell if that's the writer being racist or just the character. I just thought it worth mentioning.

Anyway, one thing that's especially interesting to me about it is that it spends a lot of time from the villainess's perspective, and while she's definitely an rear end in a top hat she's also being kind of... gaslit? By the murders. And it's sort of fascinating to see her slowly break down and in the process become almost more sympathetic than the actual heroine. Even though she's still an rear end in a top hat.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 5, 2022

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah, that's also interesting, I just didn't want to give too much away in a little blurb. The open question of how much the world is self-correcting, or if other people are doing it on purpose, etc etc.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I'm going to guess the author thinks that's good. To be honest, I am not even slightly surprised that someone who wants to write a story about nice billionaires saving society from itself is a racist libertarian?

Clarste fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 25, 2022

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Oddly, despite the weird premise it doesn't really seem to be a comedy? It plays it completely straight that knowing finance is a superpower in the world of mercenaries.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The fact that the writer didn't put any thought into it is exactly the problem being complained about. Essentially these are the things they casually believe as unexamined ethical baselines, and every work that continues to not examine them normalizes them further.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I read it after reading this thread. In the translation on mangadex, all the numbers are 10 years lower, ie: people in this world don't expect to live past 50, and women are considered past their prime at 30. Selling them into slavery isn't considered normal, ie: the guy who did it was a particularly big rear end in a top hat who was already cheating on her and spending all their money gambling and stuff, and it blindsided her when it happened, but the main dude does just casually stroll into a slave market the first thing after getting kicked out of his party, so my verdict is Not Wholesome.

Edit: Also they have sex at the end of the first chapter, so this isn't even pretending not to be porn.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The entire isekai genre is defined by using tropes without thinking about why. Like, every single thing about it, from top to bottom.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Something I read recently instead had "magic is math" and the protagonist has an edge on everyone else because she knows calculus while they're all stuck solving every problem geometrically.

Edit: She can't actually cast spells because she has no mana, but she advances magical theory.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 14, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

drilldo squirt posted:

Anyone reading anything new that's not literal trash?

You're in the wrong thread.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The basic issue is that the super-detailed full color chapters every week is physically impossible for the artists.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The serious answer is that they're all copying it from the same stock background library.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

"That time I got reincarnated as the multiverse's chief architect for villain castles and dungeons."

It would be like the Carpenter from Batman comics getting contracts to build supervillain death traps.

There was an isekai story about a reincarnated architect. It fell into the usual trap of "the locals have no concept of architecture and their buildings just fall apart every few years."

Edit: To be fair, it was a little funnier than that. Like "the king a hundred years ago had all the architects in the country killed because his wife cheated on him with one, so all institutional knowledge was lost."

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

nrook posted:

I’ve definitely seen random slavery in manhwa; the heroine of Death Is the Only Ending for the Villainess bought a slave out of nowhere and made me sad. At least I haven’t seen a series that isn’t aware that owning slaves is morally bad and not something a good person should do.

The way Korean isekais treat slavery is that it's a tragic backstory for the protagonists to overcome. So what happened there (and has actually happened in a few others I read too) is that the reincarnated lead knows ahead of time that this particular slave will grow up to be a celebrated hero/love interest, and wants to get in their good graces early by buying and freeing them. The heroine in Death is the Only Ending is just too much of a coward to free him afterward because she assumes everyone in the world wants to kill her. Honestly she's kind of a terrible person generally.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

GateOfD posted:

with such a common setting, sucks that there isn't that many real games of these types. like village sims and such. I know they are some, but its all mostly military.

its like the villainess type isekais. The otome villaniness setting games...don't actually really exist. its a mix of common tropes smashes together that's easy to write off of.

IIRC there is like one specific game series from the 90s that the villainess stories were originally based on (like, with a magic academy and an explicit "villainess" rival character), but then everyone else started copying that and getting further and further away from games.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 11, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

That one has the amusing premise that they're in what's effectively the lowest energy state world: it's extremely easy to isekai there, but extremely hard to leave. But, like, there are multiple worlds above it, so their history consists not only of Japanese high schoolers popping in, but also like invasions by extradimensional demons and whatnot, and it's just a mishmash of everything at once.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

My problem is that One Punch Man makes it work by making it silly, that's like half the reason the story is interesting: He's the strongest in the world but he doesn't really care and its funny because everyone else is trying to be deadpan serious.

But meh, maybe its just not my cup of tea.

The instant death guy cares even less than Saitama does. Saitama at least actively goes out of his way to put himself in positions where punching a dude is the optimal solution.

It's definitely not the best written thing ever though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

This series continues to justify its own existence. Never have I considered the financial ramifications of item duplication glitches.

You probably should have since they have wiped out multiple MMO economies in real life.