Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Kwyndig posted:

Well they are married, expecting them to not fool around at all is unrealistic. But judging from the next episode title it's going to be baby season, lots of babies. "Progenitor" is a fancy way of saying parent, after all.

At this point in the Farming Life in Another World Light Novel , and further on He's definitely sleeping with nearly all the adult female characters who live in the village and can assume conventionally attractive humanoid forms. So if more of the second-generation characters are going to start being born, it's kind of weird that they've set things up to imply that he's exclusive, or at least, primarily with Lulushi.

Admittedly, how Lulushi and Tia join the village in the anime are significantly better than they were in the novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

New mob isekai

The best outcome possible. :allears:

Having listened to a few more volumes of the novel on youtube, I don't think anything is really actually done with this, and the plot goes back to treating them as gals being pals, and kind of sidelines both of them once this volume ends.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Is 'The Plot/Authorial Intent is a real, antagonistic force working against me, regardless if I've personally seen any evidence of it" more common in Chinese/Korean Villainess novels and Manhua/wha than in the Japanese novels/manga?

Or is this just selection bias/ poor observation on my part? The latter seem more to be on the side that the Plot is just the result of the setup of the world and the interactions of the people in it?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Yeah, it's called Angelique. I don't think it was ever officially ported to English.

Kotaku started a Let's Play of it, but I don't think they ever did a second episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXdUcDBM0s4

maltesh
May 20, 2004

It's definitely more like the Farming Life in Another World anime than the Farmin Life in another World novel. The anime cleaned up a lot of things.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

I also think there's sort of constant trend of "Okay, are my readers fine with _this_? Then let's push a little more next time..." throughout the story, culminating in the awful plot element that got ultimately expunged from the sequel webovel because it broke that website's rules.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Brought To You By posted:

I imagine that if Yogiri were to think, whether it's true or not, that someone like Tomochika had died. The idea of targeted death would evaporate and he'd probably become some walking field of instant death where everything around him just dies/stops functioning. Like peel back the layer of humanity containing whatever he is and the guy would become a blight upon the world he's on.

He probably wouldn't, because he knows Asaka would probably be very disappointed with him if he did.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

I think the worst situation to have to deal with Yogiri is if you're a soldier in an army that is ordered to apprehend him or something. Basically the moment you start to take any direct action that could involve killing him, he'll reflexively kill you.

We basically see this happen during the part with the world-eater thing - IIRC he just wipes out half the country's army because they're ordered to stop his car and are instantly killed the moment they receive the order and decide to carry it out.

There's an even worse one coming up (I think it happens in about Light Novel Volume 6?) Being the unknowing sentient vessel of a secret world-spanning hivemind whose core consciousness has decided that it will seek vengeance against him. The casualties from _that_ are immense.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

To be fair, it is a very difficult message to get. Instant Death magic is known in the setting, as are its counters. There are other individuals in the setting who use Instant Death Magic or an Instant Death power as their primary weapon, it is most emphatically not the same thing Yogiri does, and when they use it against someone who knows how their variant works... well, you can imagine the results.

So when these arrogant individuals encounter him and he says "I can kill you instantly, I'm absolutely serious, this is not what you think it is, YOU WILL DIE PERMANENTLY AND IRREVOCABLY AND THERE IS NO ESCAPING IT." they are going to start off with "Yeah, right" and then it goes to the demonstration. And unless Yogiri is willing to let you play around and experiment with him by feeding people to his power, or willing to let you hang around and observe what's going on, there's basically one way this eventually plays out.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Also slapping the first servant who attempts to mess with them after the awakening.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Apparently it was just made to promote the novels, never planned to go long,

One I find interesting lately is I Awoke as an Imprisoned Villainess,

Mangadex posted:

Sophia Alcott, the daughter of Earl Alcott, lives a lonely life as a maligned and infamous shut in, with nothing to do but to work on her skills as a budding apothecary in the dusty storeroom she's forced to call home. That is until she suddenly wakes up one day and finds herself in the body of an even more infamous villainess (one who actually earned her reputation) locked up in a tower. But although the only clue she has about how this happened is a cryptic note, instead of despairing about her new situation, she's in awe at just how luxurious the treatment she's receiving in this 'prison' is compared to how she had to live before.

Meanwhile, back at Earl Alcott's mansion, all hell is about to break loose. That's because...

It's this weird combination of sweet kid transplanted into the Villainess with the flipside of Villainess turning the tables on those who deserve it, with a couple mysteries thrown in for good measure Villainess knew this would happen, but no revelation as to how or why yet, First Prince is almost certainly being poisoned by someone, And Otome Game Heroine Character is somehow maliciously involved.

I do get the feeling that they'd wind up friends once the scheduled meet-in-person occurs.

I also stumbled across the first three light novels of Fake Saint of the Year: You Wanted the Perfect Saint? Too Bad! which I've been enjoying, as well.

Amazon posted:

After yet another late night of playing his favorite dating sim, Fudou Niito—a self-proclaimed lazy NEET—suddenly wakes up to find himself inside the game! Stranger still, he hasn’t been reincarnated as the main character, Verner, or as his beloved waifu, Eterna... Instead, he’s Ellize, the absolutely awful fake saint who stole Eterna’s rightful place and made her life a living hell!

And so, Niito now has one goal: change the story to ensure the game’s tragic heroine finally gets the happy ending she deserves! To do that, he’ll have to play matchmaker for Verner and Eterna while also boosting the saint’s popularity! Can this imposter scheme his way into a happy future for his favorite character?

Ther'es a bit of "ehhh" for the male character reincarnated as female character trope but also has those "I don't think I'm a good person, I'm putting up a front so people don't viciously turn on me" vibes like Tearmoon Empire. Also Ellize's ridiculous level of overpowerness that puts her orders of magnitude above all previous actual saints is kind of hilarous.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

EVIL Gibson posted:

I think it is interesting compared to the other similar "I'm in a story game" when he goes back to the real world (that fact came out of nowhere or I just missed it) and finds out the new routes/stories he is doing in the game is actually being applied to the game where no one but the speed runners/fans of the game notice

I've read up to the third light novel, and for once, I'm okay so far with the "why were you reincarnated in a game world" reason. I haven't read many where I've liked the reason. For instance, the one in I'm In Love With The Villainess made me think much worse of the pre-reincarnation character, for multiple reasons.

Back to Fake Saint of the Year, light novel spoilers: It is a bit insane though, that the game apparently includes a completely fleshed-out unique storyline with multiple fully-fleshed out unique events and characters that only shows up with a (save-scummable) 0.02% chance and if and only if you decide to have the main character of the dating sim work out in his room constantly for weeks instead of interacting with any of the capture targets, resulting it in only being discovered 4 years after the game's release.

If other things weren't in play, I would absolutely have expected it to be found within a month or two by someone trying to mod the game or do a stat dump for the wiki.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

A bit of a doubletake about "subtext" until I realized it was talking about between the protagonists.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 5, 2024

maltesh
May 20, 2004

For me, as someone who's read the entire light novel, the part where the manga is headed from here is pretty much my favorite part of the whole story, up until we start verging into established continuity with the Hero again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Honestly, if it weren't for isekai authors, I probably never would have tried making karaage, tamagoyaki, katsudon, tamago gohan, or curry roux.

They're not "revolutionize the food culture" good, but they're nice to have in the repertoire.