Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Am I in the right thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Harry Potter is effectively an isekai prove me wrong

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kirbysuperstar posted:

Isn't there an isekai where a guy fucks his house

I think this one has some sort of house spirit in his harem? I only read the first couple chapters of the manga like a year ago so I forget.

And there are a ton where a guy fucks a dungeon. Or where the guy is a dungeon and fucks somebody. A dungeon is kind of like a house.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nathilus posted:

I maintain that the protagonist of 80,000 gold coins is a total piece of dogshit but the story gives her a complete pass 100% of the time. She's decided to scam people with cheap items for a living, INTRODUCED MODERN WARFARE TO A MEDIEVAL FEUDAL SOCIETY. Nether of which had any negative repercussions weirdly, since the story is just that fluffy

It’s not as bad as you might think. She doesn’t actually sell any weapons or use modern soldiers to invade or anything. And while her profit margins are enormous, the people buying feel that the price is fair for the local scarcity. If she priced them low, on the other hand, she would essentially ruin the market for the local producers of any similar goods.

We see in later chapters that there are other countries that do have muskets and cannons, and she doesn’t use violence against nations even when provoked, choosing other means of revenge.

All of FUNA’s protagonists are sometimes assholes, mind you, but 80k gold is much better than the Potions one.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The amateur fiction site the isekai boom got started from, Shosetsuka ni Narou, has a separate site specifically for R-18 rated series called Nocturne Novels. I don't think it gets much notice from English translators though, outside of the previously posted Sekkaku Cheat.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CharlestonJew posted:

Is there an Isekai about someone who goes to another world and gets superpowers and a harem of women slaving over them and an overall awesome life but spends the manga desperately trying to find a way home because they have family and loved ones that they care about very much and want to see again

This isn't that uncommon, actually. It's a bit of a conundrum for the genre's basic premise, since if the author wants to make the MC overpowered and amazing then there's no material reason for them to return, but if they want to make them one of the normal boring everyman protagonists they use so much in Japanese media then they need to want to go back, either because of friends/family left behind or missing parts of modern civilization like the internet. Unfortunately, since most authors start these series on a whim they almost never bother to set up a compelling reason at the beginning for them to miss Earth, and if they do let them return then that just opens up more problems they need to explain away.

Usually they'll just cop out and have the MC return temporarily and gain the ability to teleport back and forth or something.

Just off the top of my head, Arifureta and Death March do this, as well as some more minor series like Level Maker and Manowa. There's also several series based on the concept of returnees from another world that start with them giving up fame, power, and women to return to the grandeur of being a japanese high school student.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nalin posted:

Pretty sure he still gets a harem anyway.

Kinda. He eventually is forced to accept a concubine or two for political/diplomatic reasons and gets a good enough deal that they can't really refuse, but remains uncomfortable with it.

It does subvert the norms in a lot of other ways, though. Like how instead of being set in fantasy europe like every other isekai, it's set in fantasy India instead. Or how the romance just gets straight into it and marries them at the start, letting the rest of the series be about making the marriage work despite cultural differences and work/life balance problems.

It's honestly one of my favorite isekai and on my shortlist of stuff I'd recommend to people without reservations. The title and synopsis really don't do it justice.