Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

There was a passable litRPG I read recently where the MC had to learn complicated polynomial geometry in order to safely use his material fabrication magic. It provides some interesting limitations on what he can do and how quickly he can do it. There was also a funny bit where at one point he cheats his way into getting a second magic domain that creates force-fields, and is excited to apply his extensive math knowledge, only to find out that everyone who uses this domain just forms things intuitively because it's faster and because failures don't explode like fabrication mishaps tend to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

GateOfD posted:

The problem with the math ones for me is like I don’t believe that the isekai world wouldn’t already know that math.

It’s a civilization with a working government, business guilds and other stuff. They learned math, it’s not a modern invention or anything.

Eeeh, there were plenty of functonal civilizations that didn't have much beyond arithmetic, geometry and maybe algebra. Modern math showing up in your average medieval center of learning would have made waves, even without magic coming into the equation. And unlike farming, most math doesn't require a material base beyond paper and ink.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I wanna see someone get isekaid and spend the entire story super grumpy because everyone is eating brown rice all the time.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Speaking of SSS-Rank Suicide Hunter, the latest arc has been going really loving hard in the paint, holy poo poo

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I seem to recall Legendary Moonlight Sculptor being pretty numbery.

But, yeah, I get the impression that Korean and English scenes seem a bit more invested in the numbers.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Guyver posted:

I owe isekai authors an apology.

I made potato chips at home today. I'm sorry I doubted you this poo poo is great. I don't even like bag potato chips.

Ban this slavery loving filth

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Like a lot of things these days, it's probably down to some subtle shift in the light/web novel zeitgeist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I was Reincarnated as the Weakest Job, Butt I Turned it Into the Butt Annoying and Butt Butt Honk Butt.