Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I Googled for isekai house and found this one which I think is the one that people are talking about

ore no ie ga maryoku spot datta ken

I read it but it's boring. The protagonist doesn't do anything.

khy fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jul 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

World Strongest Rearguard: Labyrinth Country and Dungeon Seekers is an interesting isekai where the MC himself is OK but not amazing but becomes OP as hell when combined with his party members. It's entertaining so far but only has ten chapters out.

There is a thing going on where people who get killed turn into demi-humans who just do what they're told, but instead of being slaves or anything like that they're treated like mercenaries or hirelings. Dunno if that would rub people the wrong way.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Well, the only thing that could make One Punch Man more powerful is if he could just do it on sight, I guess.

The protagonist of "Instant Death" doesn't even need sight. He does it through sensing hostility through slaves at one point.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Taking a Dump in a Fantasy World Toilet.

I got curious. I read the first chapter. The MC kills a slime and uses it to wipe his rear end after taking a poo poo. The slime pops out of the toilet, climbs up his rear end, eats the food in his stomach and gives him a stomach cramp. He goes to poo poo and violently shits out a MASSIVE SLIME all over the toilet.

Just... why.

khy fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 8, 2019

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Argue posted:

Goddammit I thought the fantasy toilet thing was a joke made up by this thread but I guess I should have learned by now

Share in my pain

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Zanarkand was a real place 1000 years before FFX, it was the first place destroy by Sin. The 'dream zanarkand' is a summon, a recreation of the city created by the memories of its inhabitants. Titus is from dream Zanarkand and as such is part of the summon.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Wark Say posted:

But what truly is Isekai, maaaaannnnn?

Since the word 'Isekai' itself means 'Different World' then I suppose that the technical definition is 'anything set in another world'.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Labyrinth is an Isekai.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Polar Bear Isekai is an isekai which recently got some updates.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

But what are each of our crazy cheat powers

khy
Aug 15, 2005

That Guy Bob posted:

Demolition Man starring Sylvester Stallone and Wesley Snipes is non-ironically a time travel isekai.

Real question, is there a "good" isekai where the MC is an unrepentant piece of poo poo?

Sentouin, Hakenshimasu!

By the same author as Konosuba. The MC is an evil henchman who gets sent to another world. He has to perform evil deeds to earn evil points to spend on teleporting poo poo from the real world to the Isekai world in order to survive.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

The horniest isekai is definitely Polar Bear Isekai where pretty much every female character (All of whom look like 10-year-old girls or younger) wants the bear's dick.

I really wish I was exaggerating here.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

pnumoman posted:

Every time I think some description is made up or exaggerated, I'm proven to be extremely wrong. And I just can't look away.

The idiom 'Truth is stranger than fiction' pretty much always applies whenever it comes to manga descriptions

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Guyver posted:

I feel a bit betrayed. For the first five chapters Saikyou Juzoku is a cute little story about a guy reborn in a world with magic. He makes a friend, learns to use animated carved wood totems and helps bust the local magic pot monopoly.

Then at the end of the fifth chapter they spring it on you that it's tradition in the village to marry your sister.

Why? Why would you do this? There are so many better ways to make him leave the village.

I would feel a lot worse about it if the protagonist decided to go along with this decision, but thankfully his reply is 'NOPE NOPE NOPE GONNA NOPE THE gently caress OUT OF THIS VILLAGE' and since his sister seems to be going yandere so hopefully she turns into an interesting antagonist.

I've been reading Dimensional Mercenary and it's a very good korean isekai where the MC basically soul-swaps to other people to fix their lives, and once he does he gets paid. We don't know why yet, the company is shady as gently caress and he's starting to wonder if he's working for (literally) satan. But it's interesting and alternates between "How do I solve this game-like scenario" and "What is behind this sinister company"

khy fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 25, 2019

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Fallorn posted:

There is also the isekai where dude comes back to the real world after three years and realizes that time moved differently and magic people came to his world and now he has to go to magic highschool when he just wanted to be normal.

What's that one called? I like returned from isekai stuff, and would like top check it out

khy
Aug 15, 2005

90s Cringe Rock posted:

The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a reverse isekai where the protagonist was friends with a regular, non-reverse isekai protagonist and got dragged back with him when he went home.

His cheat skill is making sandwiches, but it takes a while to become useful.

I thought he didn't have a cheat skill but he had a digital watch so it all balanced out

khy
Aug 15, 2005

TalonDemonKing posted:

Also link me VRMMOs. I love me some manga authors trying to codify game mechanics

Manuke na FPS Player ga Isekai e Ochita Baai

Itai no wa Iya nanode Bougyo-Ryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu
(Amazingly, the only VRMMO that ever seems to patch in fixes to retarded exploits the MC uses)

Infinite Dendrogram

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I didn't realize that Japan has much of a MGTOW culture until I found The World of Otome Games is Tough for Mobs which is basically 'MGTOW Isekai'.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I've recommended The world of Otome Games is Tough for Mobs before, but the manga completed the first volume and I wanna reiterate it's fun.

The TL;DR is that the MC is a brother who was forced to complete an Otome game by his sister, and pulls a 48-hour marathon to do so. Then he falls down some stairs and dies. He reincarnates into that world, and decides to try to have a fun life, but immediately almost gets sold off to a fat old woman as a disposable husband. He earns his freedom and tries to find a nice girl to marry, but gets put into the advanced class at his academy which is full of scheming noble women instead of nice ones. He tries to avoid the main plot because he doesn't want to be involved, but a MYSTERIOUS OTHER PERSON is pulling the strings to replace the protagonist.

Major spoiler
The Mysterious girl is the MC's sister who reincarnate and is basically impersonating how the real protagonist would act in order to get a reverse harem ending. The MC ends up befriending the real protagonist AND the villainess, and fucks up his sister's plans pretty badly.

I like it because the MC is an rear end in a top hat, his equipment is an AI that berates and insults him, and everyone basically hates his guts but he's still just chilling and having fun doing poo poo his own way. It does have slaves (Which, weirdly enough, are higher than most men on the social ladder) and also almost all the women in the series are complete bitches which will not surprise anyone when they learn that it's from the author of Sevens. Even so, it's fun enough that I think it's worth checking out if you have some time.

khy fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 26, 2019

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Clarste posted:

I don't like it because it's written by a guy who loathes otome games with his entire being yet apparently has no idea what they're like. Sounds like an anti-feminist tract, tbh.

At first I felt like it was very MGTOW, but honestly it's only the noblewomen who are horrible bitches and when I think about it, that isn't too much different than all the other Isekais where the nobles are all conniving backstabbers who conspire against everyone.

Of course I'm not all the way through so it could get much worse and I haven't hit that part just yet.

That said, if you're not into that here's a fun and cute DOUBLE ISEKAI Welcome to Japan, Elf-San.

The MC Isekai's into another world every night, but then in a TWIST his elf friend Isekai's into OUR WORLD!

Features lots of the 'japanese food is so delicious' Isekai trope but is very cute as well.

khy fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 26, 2019

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Solo Levelling! It's not an Isekai but who cares it's got 90% of an Isekai's tropes.

ETA until the MC gets called in to solo the entire ant's nest and gain weirdass new ant ghost shadow things? I'm guessing 3 more chapters and he'll be there.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Solo Leveling also had some weird falling out on Mangadex and now it goes from chapter 1 to 75 so if you wanna read all the chapters use this website

https://manganelo.com/manga/pn918005

Apparently Meraki Scans (Who left Mangadex because DRAMAAAAAAAAAAAAA) handed the project over to Jaimini's Box. Some people prefer the JB translations, so here's a link for those : https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/series/solo-leveling

khy
Aug 15, 2005

New Isekai that looks like it may very well be good

Wicked Trapper : Hunter of Heroes

The MC is a game dev that produces insanely challenging traps and dungeons, and gets fired because his poo poo is too hard. So he's summoned to hell where he gets to use his trap mastery to murder the poo poo out of heroes.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Eeepies posted:

It took one chapter for me to go hard pass. Can't recommend at all.

Generally if it involves the MC being a 'bad guy' and siding with the demon lord and killing off heroes, I will overlook at lot because that style of story is my favorite.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Has Let's Buy the Land And Cultivate in Different World been mentioned yet? It starts as your standard "boring dude gets summoned to another world but isn't very good at fighting" but then it goes batshit crazy in a way that's best described as "KonoSuba goes farming but (mostly) without the horny".

This feels practically identical to 'Farming Life in Another World'. MC has mastery over tools (One tool in FLIAW, any tool in this one), has women literally throwing themselves at him to be his bride, rules over monsters, is friends with and also far more powerful than the monsters who are all legendarily strong, etc.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

pentyne posted:

Like InternetVFW and TFR this is one of the most rational well managed forums for people to engage in their hobbies absent all the toxicity you see everywhere else.

It's weird how something as small as a $10 loss can motivate people not to be horrible shitheads (Most of the time) but it's effective so I won't complain.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I like Isekai where the MC is OP but not directly, like he can't fight but he can make others OP as hell.

Good examples of this is probably Impregnable demon king castle and World's Strongest Rearguard.

In both cases the MC is mainly useless in a direct fight, but when he's buffing/debuffing he can make a mediocre warrior into a godlike force. So I'm just wondering what other good examples of this particular trope are out there.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Kwyndig posted:

The main character in Log Horizon is like that, to a certain extent. He's a tactical genius but his class is strictly a buffer/debuffer so he's not a front line fighter.

I've watched the anime, haven't seen much of the manga but google shows that the artist had health issues and it's been on Hiatus since 2015?

But yeah, good example. Got any more?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

darkgray posted:

Live Dungeon! might count? Hardcore MMORPG gamer is sucked into his favourite old game after clearing the entire dungeon controlling an entire 5-man-party by his lonesome, as expert in all classes. On the other side he's faced with a society of dungeon explorers who have no respect at all for healers, so he struggles to teach people the wisdom of a balanced party of tank+damage dealer+healer, so he can reach the final boss and get his rear end back home.

The protagonist basically has no destructive power of his own, just a deep knowledge of how to use every class skill to best effect, so there's a lot more teamwork and tactics to figure out how to deal with certain kinds of enemies, politics in making allies and building his own clan, setting up supply lines for new gear, etc.

It got a few light novel volumes out before being cancelled, but I think the manga adaptation is still somehow surviving on its own. The original web novel is technically "finished" on Narou, but there's a new post-end arc being posted on the author's personal blog, where the story kind of continues, I guess. I enjoyed it a lot.

I started reading Live Dungeon. When it was him + his party it was enjoyable but ever since he started teaching assholes it's become a lot less so. I'll keep up on it though.

I haven't tried Only Sense Online yet, I'll look at it. Thanks for that one!

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Couple more Mushoku Tensei spoilers. It gets weird. And isn't wholesome. Still, not the worst I've come across by far.

Some have already been mentioned.

1) Steals and literally worships his magic teacher's panties.
2) Sleeps with redhead waifu, she leaves because bad at communication, he gets ED.
3) ED is cured by sleeping with his childhood elf friend (She's a virgin), afterwards he cuts out the bloodstained spot on the sheets and worships them (yes, literally) too.
4) Marries his elf friend and the magic teacher who still looks like a teenager because she's a magical always-looks-young lives-to-200 race.
5) Builds a literal shrine in the basement with the virgin-blood sheet and used panties in it.
6) Rejects his redhead waifu for leaving him, ends up being part of a whole ordeal of a dark future where all his waifus die. He comes back in time later on and tells his past self to marry the redhead instead of being mad at her for leaving.
7) Redhead waifu says on multiple occasions that the only things she's good for are fighting and making the MC's babies.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

doomrider7 posted:

I remember reading some of these and I can't help but find all of this loving hilarious in a Bile Fascination kind of way. Like it's absolute garbage, but hilarious in how it looks and feels like the author is taking it seriously. This in turn leads me to becoming furiously angry that such amazing animation, modeling, character and scenery design is being wasted on the anime for this.

Edit: Wasn't there some stuff with his dad dying too?

There was a magical anomaly of some kind that went off above his hometown. Everyone in town got teleported randomly around the world. This happened when the MC was very young, and a large plot point from then on (Spanning years and years) is the MC trying to reconnect with all the people in his life after that. His mother got trapped in a dungeon, and eventually MC and his dad went there to rescue her. They fight a boss, the MC is about to get wrecked by the hydra and the dad pushed his son out of the way to save him. Dad died, but MC survived on.

And to be totally fair to the Author, if he had cut out the 'I'm going to turn my wives into a creepy religion' then 80% of the awful poo poo would be gone and it'd be just generic isekai wish fulfillment. Not terrible but not great, nothing special. The MC never has slaves or never commits war crimes that I can think of off the top of my head; he's actually fairly nice when he's not being creepy as gently caress about his made-up religion. Maybe there's something cultural I don't get about why he turned his wives' underwear and virgin blood into literal objects of worship, IDK. But some parts are really interesting to read about. There's a fair amount of halfway decent worldbuilding. The society isn't stupid as gently caress and the MC doesn't abuse his knowledge of science to figure out things. Some of the chapters were pretty good reads which could have turned into a decent anime.

khy fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 28, 2021

khy
Aug 15, 2005

MrGreenShirt posted:

You forget the time he bought an emaciated, naked (at the time) little dwarf girl slave, so she could help the horrible otaku noble make his anime figurines.

You're 100% correct, I did forget about that. I still don't remember it. But it lines up perfectly with some of the weirdness (The anime figurines) I do remember so I'm sure it's in there despite my not remembering. So I take back that statement!

khy
Aug 15, 2005

doomrider7 posted:

Well I guess Jobless DID have an impact in the isekai series that followed, just not a good one and not in the meaningful series that people always talk about. As an aside, someone elsewhere made a nice list of the stuff that scamp Rudy does throughout the series,

Jesus reading it over again, this is like a loving compilation of the worst and loving trashes aspects of isekai and animein general all rolled into one. I will say he missed the virgin blood addition and they do mention the GOOD the series had in that it was one of the more better built isekai worlds.

Edit: I recall there was one other male character who was like his arch-rival who was a villain who sometimes threw him a bone that would often best him in battle and whatnot on top of the whole his kids being the ones destined to be the ones to defeat the Demon Lord a la Dragon Quest 5(this was a point of comparison I recall being made).

IIRC the MC's had a guy he thought was his arch-rival, but it turns out that his arch-rival is actually literally god, and god devised a plan to use his Waifu's pregnancies to kill them because when they're pregnant they're not protected by fate, and so the MC eventually joins the previous bad guy and the two of them team up to fight against god.

e: Use the dadgum spoiler tags, you jerks.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 29, 2021

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

Pretty cool how pretty much the entire plot of Jobless, a series running currently this season, has been spoiled in this thread in big long screeds complaining about it.

When people were talking 'jobless' I totally thought they were talking about the OTHER Jobless isekai and so I didn't realize I was spoiling the currently-airing show. I was a bit confused but assumed we were talking 2 different series with Mushoku Tensei.

https://mangadex.org/title/22785/seichou-cheat-de-nandemo-dekiru-you-ni-natta-ga-mushoku-dake-wa-yamerarenai-you-desu

khy fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 29, 2021

khy
Aug 15, 2005

doomrider7 posted:

I knew it was airing, but yeah given how everyone was talking about it I figured, "well everyone knows so no point in tagging". Also, that one looks nice so bookmarked.

Well, if you're going to look at that one, be warned. There's... a LOT of slavery. I never finished or caught up because of many things about it irritating me (The most annoying comic relief characters, the MC being a slave magnet, and so on). Every so often I start to read it again and give up.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Isekai is like Junk Food. It's fun to read and even though I know it's not good I can't help but indulge because it's trashy and fun.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Posted in the other Isekai thread, reposting here because WHY NOT.

Buta Koushaku ni Tensei Shitakara, Kondo wa Kimi ni Suki to Iitai

I've been reading it lately, and it's quite good. MC is watching an anime and wakes up the next day as the 'Piggy duke' - A side character in an anime he likes. The Piggy Duke is widely hated as being a fat, terrible character who abuses his power and authority and is a complete rear end. But at the same time he's got good reason for acting like he does, and in reality he's a very kind and devoted guy. The character has a tragic story in the anime (Lost love, not lost life), so the MC decides to try to avoid the tragedy and aim for a happier ending.

https://mangadex.org/title/24206/buta-koushaku-ni-tensei-shitakara-kondo-wa-kimi-ni-suki-to-iitai

It's quite interesting, no slavery, only the mildest of fanservice (One 'girls chatting in a bathtub' bit which seems drat near required for most manga these days), an MC who's really likable despite not being the protagonist of the anime. Also a big fat awesome CAT! 'There's plenty of action, plenty of fights and magic and so on. I'd highly recommend giving it a look to anyone who's looking for a fun new series.

khy fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 19, 2021

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Bremen posted:

Yeah, I read this awhile back then put it on hold when it didn't update for like a year. It was fun and I don't recall anything objectionable. I guess some people might find the "short fat kid lives romantic fantasies" to be eyeroll worthy wish fulfillment but even there it was established he had had a reason to try to ruin his appearance and was working hard to lose weight afterwards.

As far as isekai wish fulfillment goes, it's a 3/10 at best. He went from RL normal dude (From what I can tell in the single silhouette panel on page 1) to in-game short fat kid, he did gain strong magical power but became hated and a laughingstock at the same time, and he doesn't have women throwing their crotches at him everywhere he goes. He has to work harder than 90% of isekai protags out there. S'one reason I like it, he actually puts in effort to get good results and doesn't get poo poo just handed to him by a miraculous voice.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Do not forget to indulge in some KOREAN Isekai from time to time.

https://dungeon-reset.com/ - Dungeon Reset is the korean version of 'Minecraft Isekai'. TL;DR - Dude gets isekai'ed into a dungeon death game. Falls in a trap and is bleeding out while the rest of his team beats the boss and earns a complete heal. Survives thanks to the complete heal, but gets bugged when everyone else leaves the level and he's left behind. Dungeon resets for the next isekai group and he has to PUNCH DIRT to survive. Then the usual korean grind-mindset sets in and poo poo goes bonkers.

https://w2.swordkingstory.com/ - Survival Story of a Sword King in a Fantasy World. TL;DR - Dude is summoned to isekai land, but when 'god' or whomever is installing his cheats they encounter a glitch. He gets stuck in tutorial mode for like, 20 years - during which he cannot level up past level 5. God eventually finds out and dumps him into the world thinking at level 5 he's to weak and will just die, but turns out that 20 years fighting in the tutorial world gave him crazy stupid strength. The add in some really interesting poo poo about Isekai'ed people being drug-crazed murderers, level restrictions on everyday items that results in stupid funny poo poo, and the MC definitely being broke-brained suppressed PTSD for living 20 years in a nightmare hellworld of nonstop violence and murder means someday he will very, very likely snap in a horrific fashion.

As for a good JP isekai I like a lot :

https://mangadex.org/title/958e98b6-c63c-4309-b912-d91a0c9f12e1/manuke-na-fps-player-ga-isekai-e-ochita-baai - A Stupid FPS Player Falls to Another World. MC is playing a VRMMO FPS game and falls off the map. Somehow transported to another world, can summon guns and poo poo. I personally like it for two reasons - 1) it doesn't pull punches with violence, death, and gore. 2) (MAJOR spoiler for the latest chapters) The MC actually finds out he can't return to Earth because he's dead, and instead of going "Oh well guess I'll just live here then" he actually has a real legit panic attack and existential crisis that does a lot to humanize him that other series lack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

gently caress it. Here's more I like.

https://mangadex.org/title/dfdd79ad-eae8-489f-8843-bfae7e08e74b/yuusha-shoukan-ni-makikomareta-kedo-isekai-wa-heiwa-deshita MC is summoned to a world at peace. No holy war or demon lorg or anything. He's not the hero, but the hero is basically just a figurehead. Instead he befriends people and is just chill. Except for some reason all the people he befriends end up being super, super powerful or crazy influential. There's not much conflict and it's sort of isekai slice-of-life, but it's very pleasant to read all the same.

https://mangadex.org/title/1e8d04cf...wo-shikkou-suru - Not sure what the english title is. It's like, half isekai levelling adventure, half otome game. There's basically two MCs, a girl who gets an adoptive sister but the adoptive sister is manipulative bitch who does her best to ruin the MC's life (This is the part that feels more like an Otome game). Also is apparently some kind of insanely evil psychobitch who is also loving up the kingdom or something. Second MC is a 'lil baby Chimera who's been Isekai'ed, and decides to protect the nice girl from the manipulative bitch. Not many chapters but nothing has gone off the rails yet. The 'lil baby Chimera goes off and does his levelling up while he's not protecting nice girl, so things keep shifting from 'unfair bullying of the nice girl' to 'Imma go on a murderfest and evolve'.

https://mangadex.org/title/ce9fe2e2...rt-as-a-soldier Class full of people gets Isekai'ed. Several of them leave the castle to become adventurers but are told they need to do mandatory military service. The MC decides to do a two-year stint as a soldier, befriends a pretty awesome (And surprisingly cute) orc, and endures hazing and harsh training and rear end in a top hat superiors and all the usual tropes.

Might be cool - too soon to tell! https://mangadex.org/title/3552bdd3-86fd-4ffe-8f61-e372cf9643d7/yakusai-no-moushigo-to-seijo-no-meikyuu The MC is an orphan living in another world. Orphans in this world get support from the country as they grow up, but have to perform a mandatory amount of time in a labyrinth. The Labyrinth is where god likes to Iskeai people for fun, and soon after the MC enters God decides to summon a classroom. Only 5 chapters so far but the MC isn't bad and the story seems like it might pick up. Or maybe it won't I DON'T KNOW YET.