Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterOSkillio
Aug 27, 2003
In retrospect this was dumb, but I thought I could help a friend, but now I am in uncharted waters and I need advice. I know this guy from work, we have been friends for a while, and he knows I know a bit about cars, so he asked me to help him purchase a car for his family. We went back and forth about the type of car and the budget they had, as well as what was realistic between what they wanted and what they could spend. Eventually we wound up this these things: as new as possible, a certified pre owned car with a warranty, low mileage budget conscious car that will have a low cost of ownership.

I found them a Nissan Versa Note with 3.5k miles on it, and we negotiated for 10.5k w/base CPO warranty included in that price (KBB was 13.5k so I thought this was a good deal), the car was on the higher end of their budget, but nothing in the area had that low miles for that price. They looked at the car and bought it cash, end of story, or so I thought. A few days later I get a phone call that his family is not happy with the car, and want something bigger/different, he’s upset with them because they had discussed everything and he actually likes the car, but everyone is unhappy with it. Now I have been asked to go back to the Nissan dealership and help them return the car (it’s about 5 days after they bought the car). They are looking at an Altima or a Rogue. Totally different then what we discussed, in terms of room, and price, although the Altima is close.

Suddenly now there’s a much higher budget, which is fine I don’t care where the money comes from that’s not my call or problem, but I have never retuned a car before. For reference I own a 95 240sx bought private party years ago, a 2014 WRX bought CPO from a Subaru dealership, and a Suzuki SV650 bought private party. All of my purchases were made at a time where I went in knowing exactly what I wanted, I got what I needed and that was that. I have absolutely zero experience returning a just bought car.

I have looked at the bill of sale and there is nothing written about returns, all that has happened is so far I have convinced them that if they want to trade up we should do it with inventory at that dealership because I can’t think of anything else that might be able to get the dealership to go through with the return without total rape happening on my friend’s end. At this point I need advice on what I should look for in the return, because I don’t really know, this is uncharted territory for me and before anyone asks yes I am sorry I offered to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
They're complete imbeciles and you should run away quickly rather than slowly.

Also ditch the WRX. EJ255s are timebombs and will only lead to misery and despair. SV650s are fun but don't let them carbs gum up and have fun adjusting the valves.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
"Sorry man I helped you buy the thing since I have bought cars before and know a little about them, but I can't help you return it."

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Dude is an idiot, you have no responsibility whatsoever, it's his problem now you did your part.

And if he's mad at you because you don't want to be involved anymore you probably shouldn't be friends with him anyway.

MasterOSkillio
Aug 27, 2003

Adiabatic posted:

Also ditch the WRX. EJ255s are timebombs and will only lead to misery and despair. SV650s are fun but don't let them carbs gum up and have fun adjusting the valves.

I have done a boat load of research on the EJ255 issue, everything I have read leads to oil weight changes made over the years at Subaru causing shearing in the oil being the issue that kills so many of the engines (specifically the use of RC-resource conserving synthetic oils). I purchased the car with about 7.5k miles on it and made the oil change fairly quickly to a to a 5w40 non RC oil very quickly, hopefully this fixes the issue, if not it will be my cross to bear, and I will have to put aside cash to build a better engine with better bearings. I honestly love the car and how it drives.

As for the SV650 it's a 2008 so no carbs fuel injection, what's up with the valves?

Adiabatic posted:

They're complete imbeciles and you should run away quickly rather than slowly.

The Prong Song posted:

"Sorry man I helped you buy the thing since I have bought cars before and know a little about them, but I can't help you return it."

On this you are probably both right, I am going to try to gracefully duck out of this. I am not sure if a trade could even be done, but the criteria for a car changed rather quickly and drastically after ownership occurred.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

They won’t be “returning” the car, they’re trading it back in and are going to lose money on it because of that. Even if the dealership in question says they’re letting them return it and they “show” them they’re paying them the same price as they paid all it means is the dealership is gonna gently caress them extra hard on the car they’re buying.

Because of this they’re not inherently going to get a better deal where they bought it, it’s entirely possible that they’d get a worse deal.

In other words the “total rape” is going to happen no matter where you go it’s just that if you go back to the same dealership they’ll lie and tell you that you’re enjoying it and you asked for it.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 23, 2019

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
there is a good thread for this in bfc

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878671

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
This is yet another example of why I don't help people with car buying advice any more. The main reason is that most people just want to see if your advice will reinforce their preconceived notions of what they already know they want.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

OP, what year and trim (S, SV, whatever) is this thing?

If you/they got a decent deal they might not be as total raped as you might expect.

But it may be worth working numbers at 2 or 3 dealerships just to see if there's any major variance. IMO you're usually best off trading a Nissan into a Nissan dealership because they're the best at retailing them but it's not always the case. I had a super stripped extended cab 4x4 Ranger with the good engine and I got better offers at non Ford dealers because they didn't realize quite how cheap they got once they no longer had a stereo with more than two speakers or carpet or jump seats in the extended cab.

I also don't think what you did was dumb. It's not your fault some of these people are boobs.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

MasterOSkillio posted:

I have done a boat load of research on the EJ255 issue, everything I have read leads to oil weight changes made over the years at Subaru causing shearing in the oil being the issue that kills so many of the engines (specifically the use of RC-resource conserving synthetic oils). I purchased the car with about 7.5k miles on it and made the oil change fairly quickly to a to a 5w40 non RC oil very quickly, hopefully this fixes the issue, if not it will be my cross to bear, and I will have to put aside cash to build a better engine with better bearings. I honestly love the car and how it drives.

As for the SV650 it's a 2008 so no carbs fuel injection, what's up with the valves?

I love Subarus too, it's just a love-hate kind of thing. I used to have a Forester with an EJ205 and a VF39. I've pulled so many EJ205s and EJ255s at this point I feel like the Subaru Angel of Death. They're amazing when they're working, and pulling the motor on one is a couple hour job at most if you know what you're doing.

As far as the SV650 mine's carbed, and has bucket shims. They need checking every 6k miles, and the "adjustment process" is taking the cams off to replace the shims.

Also why haven't you posted pictures yet? This is now your car thread since you asked a question not in the BFC or stupid question thread. We require pictures.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

bird with big dick posted:

If you/they got a decent deal they might not be as total raped as you might expect.

gross, dude

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

what?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

just say ripped off or something, what is the need to use violent sexual assault to describe a financial transaction?

edit: also, OP - tell your "friend" to kick rocks and never help facilitate an actual transaction on a car again. it's fine to recommend poo poo they should test drive or check out, but don't get involved in the process any more than that.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

OPs phrase, bitch at him

The Linux Fairy
Apr 7, 2005

With just some glitter and a wink, your data will be turned into a 40GB looping .gif of penguins fucking.

OPs phrase, bitch at him

gross when the OP said it too but why double down? :shrug:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

OPs phrase, bitch at him

If the OP told you to jump off a cliff would you do it? Go to your room :colbert:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

What if I use a different phrase and the OP doesn’t understand what I’m saying and chaos ensues.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

What if I use a different phrase and the OP doesn’t understand what I’m saying and chaos ensues.

Idk who’s the bigger idiot: the OP, the OP’s coworker, the engineers at Subaru who thought that the EJ25 was a good idea, or you not taking the hint and going “oh sorry”

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Phone posted:

Idk who’s the bigger idiot: the OP, the OP’s coworker, the engineers at Subaru who thought that the EJ25 was a good idea, or you not taking the hint and going “oh sorry”
or just not responding, lol

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I will never not respond

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Lmao alright everyone quit using the word "raped" and OP you better post pictures or so help me I'll be super sad.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

One thing I noticed last night when I was googling re this that I think I didn't mention was that Versa Notes seem super loving unpopular.

I checked the three big Vegas Nissan dealerships for new inventory and two had NONE and one had 4 IIRC.

Like when a Nissan dealer has 111 new Altimas and 4 new Versas and literally zero new Versa Notes, it ain't usually a good sign.

The Linux Fairy
Apr 7, 2005

With just some glitter and a wink, your data will be turned into a 40GB looping .gif of penguins fucking.

The one thing that this really does confirm for me is that every Nissan driver needs to be vaporized from the earth, and Versa Note drivers especially so.

Question for the audience: have you ever seen a Nissan Versa that didn't immediately get in front of you and drive like they were missing 60% of their brain cells? No, I didn't think so, either.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Here I thought this thread would be about buying a Mini.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

The Linux Fairy posted:

The one thing that this really does confirm for me is that every Nissan driver needs to be vaporized from the earth, and Versa Note drivers especially so.

Question for the audience: have you ever seen a Nissan Versa that didn't immediately get in front of you and drive like they were missing 60% of their brain cells? No, I didn't think so, either.

It's because their car is so gutless a gastroenterologist wouldn't know where to stick a tube. Source : my wife owns one and I'm terrified of the highway in it. Takes what feels like years to get up to speed. I have had to merge with a 20+ mile an hour speed differential while my foot was planted in the floor the entire time.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

The Linux Fairy posted:

Not so much Versas as Muranos.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Linux Fairy posted:

The drunk driver that ran a red light, hit me and destroyed my beloved xB was driving a Versa so I agree wholeheartedly.

Still recovering from that :(

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The drunk driver that ran a red light, hit me and destroyed my beloved xB was driving a Versa so I agree wholeheartedly.

Still recovering from that :(

I assume you've been driving around, right? Are you now super wary of everything?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I assume you've been driving around, right? Are you now super wary of everything?

Yeah it’s been getting better tho, sometimes I get triggered for whatever reason and expect to feel an impact it’s weird. Like I’m expecting some random person to come into my lane and slam into me for no reason. Guess that will pass eventually I hope.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

One thing I noticed last night when I was googling re this that I think I didn't mention was that Versa Notes seem super loving unpopular.

I checked the three big Vegas Nissan dealerships for new inventory and two had NONE and one had 4 IIRC.

Like when a Nissan dealer has 111 new Altimas and 4 new Versas and literally zero new Versa Notes, it ain't usually a good sign.

Car and driver gave it 2/5 stars, so there is that. “Aside from its price, the Versa Note has few notable virtues.”

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Yeah it’s been getting better tho, sometimes I get triggered for whatever reason and expect to feel an impact it’s weird. Like I’m expecting some random person to come into my lane and slam into me for no reason. Guess that will pass eventually I hope.

From my experience at least, the intrusive thoughts last a lot longer. My brain constantly finds and screams "do the worst thing possible in this situation". Spent a while asking myself if I was actually suicidal and wanted to floor it into a pillar until I talked to my psych. It's normal, it will pass.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

The Linux Fairy posted:

Every motherfucking time. Also, Nissan drivers are like 90% of the cars on the road with no lights on when it is definitely dark enough to warrant them, or it's raining its rear end off. Always a loving grey Versa or Altima.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Don't forger Infiniti - the drivers are like Nissan drivers but with more arrogance.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

charliemonster42 posted:

Car and driver gave it 2/5 stars, so there is that. “Aside from its price, the Versa Note has few notable virtues.”

Surely it scored higher than the Mitsubishi Mirage... right? :ohdear:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It does. An accident I was in was a bit less severe than yours and I and my wife were both uninjured but it took about a month and a half to not be really paranoid at intersections.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

It's because their car is so gutless a gastroenterologist wouldn't know where to stick a tube. Source : my wife owns one and I'm terrified of the highway in it. Takes what feels like years to get up to speed. I have had to merge with a 20+ mile an hour speed differential while my foot was planted in the floor the entire time.

I keep forgetting you guys got the crap version over there in the US. The versa over here in AU is called the Tiida and it comes with a 1.8L Twin cam pushing 128hp with a 6 speed manual in a car that weights 1100kg (2400lb!) The missus has one and if you spank it, it gets up and fucks off quite well!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

From my experience at least, the intrusive thoughts last a lot longer. My brain constantly finds and screams "do the worst thing possible in this situation". Spent a while asking myself if I was actually suicidal and wanted to floor it into a pillar until I talked to my psych. It's normal, it will pass.
I realize how people often take this, but you two should really consider therapy. While KYOON had positive improvement, most people aren't really geared to self-improve these processes, and it's often harder to fix later.

Therapy is a good thing, and it can help with this :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It does. An accident I was in was a bit less severe than yours and I and my wife were both uninjured but it took about a month and a half to not be really paranoid at intersections.

The real test will be when I go back to work and have to drive home through the same intersection at 2am.....That will be interesting. I could avoid it but I probably shouldn't i don't think?

Krakkles posted:

I realize how people often take this, but you two should really consider therapy. While KYOON had positive improvement, most people aren't really geared to self-improve these processes, and it's often harder to fix later.

Therapy is a good thing, and it can help with this :)

Yeah I actually have a therapist that I haven't seen in awhile so i may just give him a call.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

charliemonster42 posted:

I rented a brand-new Altima for work that had so much tech and cool poo poo, it literally almost drove itself. I got a slow leak in a tire so I called the company and they had me go to a satellite office to exchange it. The only car they had was a dirty Versa. I felt like I made a huge mistake, I should have thrown the spare on the Altima instead. The Versa was by far the worst rental I ever had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The real test will be when I go back to work and have to drive home through the same intersection at 2am.....That will be interesting. I could avoid it but I probably shouldn't i don't think?

Yeah I actually have a therapist that I haven't seen in awhile so i may just give him a call.
:) :hf: :)

And that's a tough question. Personally, I wouldn't (avoid it), but everyone is different.