Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

my best friend S31dV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Tamba posted:

Just noticed this in the opening now

None of the other names are upside down
lol

I at least saw the clone thing coming from the moment she claimed her obviously identical little sister was actually adopted.

So we've got memory transfer, human cloning, and extensive genetic profiling. I guess everyone's parents want to be super immortals.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 21, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sindai posted:

lol

I at least saw the clone thing coming from the moment she claimed her obviously identical little sister was actually adopted.

So we've got memory transfer, human cloning, and extensive genetic profiling. I guess everyone's parents want to be super immortals.

You've missed one; Something catastrophic was supposed to have happened to the Earth within the last twelve years. I'm personally wondering if them getting caught in that wormhole thing, was on purpose and they're gonna come back to find Earth has been destroyed or rendered uninhabitable.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Wow, they handled clone revelation so much better than in the manga. It was very :doh: there

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Well this sounds terrible, checking it out.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Well, it wasn't THAT bad, just got a "why the hell didn't you think of this sooner?" from me. In the anime it's more like 'I knew we were similar but not that much'.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You've missed one; Something catastrophic was supposed to have happened to the Earth within the last twelve years. I'm personally wondering if them getting caught in that wormhole thing, was on purpose and they're gonna come back to find Earth has been destroyed or rendered uninhabitable.

Yeah, rule of anime, claiming something that caused you to be visibly upset was "not important" means everything would go much smoother if everyone was told right away. Something is definitely up with that.

Couldn't they have salvaged the communicator from the Ark VI or did they confirm it to be broken as well?

Also do we know for sure that the FTL travel equipped on this model ship is magically immune to time dilation? Maybe 5000 years will have passed when they return.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

nielsm posted:

Couldn't they have salvaged the communicator from the Ark VI or did they confirm it to be broken as well?

It was mentioned that its communicator was broken as well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So which ship do we think the Astra is btw? Ark I, II, III, IV, or V?

nielsm posted:

Also do we know for sure that the FTL travel equipped on this model ship is magically immune to time dilation? Maybe 5000 years will have passed when they return.

Zack's pretty drat smart, and has a ship operator's license. If there was any time-dialation factor in the FTL Drive (old versions or not), he'd absolutely know about it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Goddamn, Astra was a hell of a ride this week :suspense:.

I wasn't expecting the clones reveal to escalate to ALL of them, though I think it was a bit of a far-fetched leap from Fumina and Quitterie to ALL of them, and needed something to thread it together. Markers in the DNA or blood or something.

Nevermind the glory of Zack's passionate and undying love for Quitterie :magical:.

I think it's also pretty likely that Paulina's been in stasis for a wee bit longer than 12 years. Maybe more like 2012 years.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

From episode 1:

Yep not readable anywhere.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well the timeline definitely makes more sense if this was 2,000 years after some disaster destroyed future Earth.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
There was a hint that Polina was from the past when you saw her spacesuit, which looked almost like a modern spacesuit. I don't think she could have been in that pod for 2000 years, though. Her ship was still perfectly intact, and the wreck where her crewmates died didn't seem very old either.

Elsewhere on the internet, I found out that each planet so far has been an anagram for the adventure the crew had there.

McPa - Camp

Vilavurs - Survival

Shumoor - Mushroom

Airspade - Paradise

Icriss - Crisis

and next up, we get -

Galem - Gleam?

Astra - ???

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Maxwell Adams posted:

There was a hint that Polina was from the past when you saw her spacesuit, which looked almost like a modern spacesuit. I don't think she could have been in that pod for 2000 years, though. Her ship was still perfectly intact, and the wreck where her crewmates died didn't seem very old either.

You need oxygen in the atmosphere to make metal rust.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

I've noticed that the question about who the "traitor" is has been back grounded. Unless that was a red herring, I think the show is trying to throw us off the scent by making the whole crew feel trustworthy and like they've bonded over the recent revelations. Right now the only one who still has the scent of suspicion on her is Aries since we still know the least about her.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tir McDohl posted:

I've noticed that the question about who the "traitor" is has been back grounded. Unless that was a red herring, I think the show is trying to throw us off the scent by making the whole crew feel trustworthy and like they've bonded over the recent revelations. Right now the only one who still has the scent of suspicion on her is Aries since we still know the least about her.

I don't think there IS a traitor necessarily. Now that we know how and why they were dumped there, I think it's more likely that one of them already knew the truth and broke the communicator to make their Originals think they were dead so they'd lower their guard. Otherwise, given we know the wormhole was their doing, they might try and finish the job.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
the traitor is probably aries being controlled by her hair things is my current theory

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Charce is still super suspect since it's extremely likely Aries is a clone of Seira and, though he had an excuse, he had little reaction to the whole thing.

rats...a

Sindai fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 29, 2019

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

Sindai posted:

Charce is still super suspect since it's extremely likely Aries is a clone of Seira and, though he had an excuse, he had little reaction to the whole thing

I bet he's already done the transfer.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sindai posted:

Charce is still super suspect since it's extremely likely Aries is a clone of Seira and, though he had an excuse, he had little reaction to the whole thing.

He knew her as a small kid, and it's established the clones in Astra are all the grow-from-baby kind, not the immediate-copy kind. The best bet is still the things on her head somehow being the divide between Aries and Seira

Homura and Sickle posted:

the traitor is probably aries being controlled by her hair things is my current theory

I still reckon they're external storage to work around whatever brain damage Seira had from the impact (hence the perfect memory, and maybe the dyslexia). And if they come/turn off, suddenly she'll be Seira again.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

So, mirror Earth? Colonization/origins forgotten? Or origins kept secret?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

What about the dates?
So far, we know that it's 2063 a.d. (because the anime tells us every episode).
Our concepts of date and time are very strongly linked to earth's movement around the sun. We also know that a year is roughly the same because Funicia is "10 years old", but what if it's just slightly longer, say 400 earth days?
If the start of the epoch is the same point in time, but they converted all dates, it would be the year 2260 in earth years now, long enough for all people who remember earth to die out (especially if it's intentionally hidden, see Ulgar's backstory).

Alternatively, a.d. isn't anno domini at all, but instead "Alstra Date", or something like that. But the only place to start an epoch like that would be when they colonized Astra, and I don't think we're 2000+ years into the future (the ship is from earth, and none of the characters mentioned that anything about it was weird. Language hasn't changed either, but that might just be a "don't think about it"-thing)

Tamba fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 29, 2019

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Tamba posted:

What about the dates?
Our concepts of date and time are very strongly linked to earth's movement around the sun. We also know that a year is roughly the same because Funicia is "10 years old", but what if it's just slightly longer, say 400 earth days?
If the start of the epoch is the same point in time, but they converted all dates, it would be the year 2260 in earth years now, long enough for all people who remember earth to die out (especially if it's intentionally hidden, see Ulgar's backstory).

Alternatively, a.d. isn't anno domini at all, but instead "Astra Date", or something like that. But the only place to start an epoch like that would be when they colonized Astra, and I don't think we're 2000+ years into the future (the ship is from earth, and none of the characters mentioned that anything about it was weird. Language hasn't changed either, but that might just be a "don't think about it"-thing)

They say 西暦/Seireki, which refers to the western calendar.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nielsm posted:

So, mirror Earth? Colonization/origins forgotten? Or origins kept secret?

You're forgetting the point of the Ark mission; Find a new world to colonize, with the subtext that Earth is fuuucked. Sounds like it successfully happened a really, really long time ago. Also what're the odds on a quick detour to Earth to find it a smoking ruin?

Tamba posted:

What about the dates?

Alternatively, a.d. isn't anno domini at all, but instead "Alstra Date", or something like that. But the only place to start an epoch like that would be when they colonized Astra, and I don't think we're 2000+ years into the future (the ship is from earth, and none of the characters mentioned that anything about it was weird. Language hasn't changed either, but that might just be a "don't think about it"-thing)
e: vvv I guess that option is out then.

I think it'll almost certainly be something like Astra Date, because the show's practically reveling with hidden-in-plain-sight reveals. They never mention the ship is from Earth (Or mention Earth at all aside from "What's Earth? :confused:", only that it's the same type as the Astra, and language is just one of those TV show handwaves you gotta just accept.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

The last couple of episodes have lifted this from enjoyable fluff to easily my favorite anime of the season, even AotY material if it can stick the landing (haha, lol, because they're in a spaceship).

EDIT: When they showed the establishing shot of the planet before the evil mastermind meeting I was like, "this looks a bit off, oh well, drawing continents is hard I guess". This show played me like a drat fiddle.

cave emperor fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 29, 2019

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Lurking Haro posted:

They say 西暦/Seireki, which refers to the western calendar.

The text on screen is a.d. though, it's not actually written 西暦 when the date pops up. Maybe they're saying 星歴 instead? :v:

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
This weeks episode felt like it could of been the cliffhanger finale for a second season of other shows :psyduck:

I definitely didn't expect wacky space adventures trying to get home to suddenly twist into this

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The show's done a frankly impressive job of luring everyone in with Teenage Space Adventures and then just pulling the rug out from under everyone on almost every aspect of its premise. :suspense:

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Yep, Astra is pretty good. Even its flaws are interesting.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I wasn't expecting the clones reveal to escalate to ALL of them, though I think it was a bit of a far-fetched leap from Fumina and Quitterie to ALL of them, and needed something to thread it together. Markers in the DNA or blood or something.

In the manga Zack and Yun Hua accidentally took their parents' things so they could run another test. Also this chapter (33) explains some more things wrt parents' conspiracy, which are rather obvious but not outright stated in the anime. So if you guys need to fix some holes, you might want to check out the manga.

This episode did a great job balancing exposition, character drama and futher suspense. This is a stellar adaptation.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

Maxwell Adams posted:

Elsewhere on the internet, I found out that each planet so far has been an anagram for the adventure the crew had there.

McPa - Camp

Vilavurs - Survival

Shumoor - Mushroom

Airspade - Paradise

Icriss - Crisis

and next up, we get -

Galem - Gleam?

Astra - ???

Planet Galem will be "Age Me" where they figure out how long Polina has been frozen.
Planet Astra will be an anagram of "A Star", so the show will end when they accidently fly their ship into a star.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

The continent names are anagrams too, nice.

And this planet is clearly "gleam" since everything's giving off light.

I had a feeling Charce was the enemy, since he had the weakest story, but there's still a lot up in the air about his motivation. I was figuring he already had his original's memories transferred, but that doesn't seem to be the case – if it was, I would expect them to use that as the end reveal for the episode. And there's still a lot we're missing in the whole Aries/Seira situation.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Charce was probably raised in a whole "Never Let Me Go" kind of situation.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
nailed it. :toot: It was pretty much confirmed when the sphere vanished the moment Kanata found Aries. Now the question is just what is going on with his backstory. The one he gave can't be completely true since it makes no sense for Seira to have been cloned before he even met her...

Sindai fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 5, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Out of curiosity did they say they're speaking in English in the actual dialogue too?I laughed at that little bit in the subtitles.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I'm not sure what they said but in the version I saw (Funimation is unavailable in my country) there wasn't anything about English. But in the manga they were "speaking English", although again, I haven't read any official release

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Makatka posted:

I'm not sure what they said but in the version I saw (Funimation is unavailable in my country) there wasn't anything about English. But in the manga they were "speaking English", although again, I haven't read any official release

It's when they're talking about the old countries; something like Polina says they're speaking English but her native language is Russian.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I figured that out. And what I said, is that in fansubs I watched she said they're speaking Japanese but her native language is Russian, whereas in the manga she said they're speaking English. But I haven't seen/read any official release and I don't speak Japanese so I don't know exactly what she said and how correct the translation was.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

But yes, the spoken line is 私が今喋ってる言語は英語だけど, she is in fact saying "The language I am talking right now is English, but..."

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
I've gotta hand it to them, this show has been pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Beato Believer posted:

I've gotta hand it to them, this show has been pretty good.

BOOOO! *hiss*